PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Rubio's NBA future now uncertain?

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Recent comments made by Minnesota Timberwolves draft pick Ricky Rubio have raised questions about his future, despite reports earlier this month that his NBA arrival was imminent.

"We are talking with Barcelona and we will soon see," Rubio said after Barcelona beat Bilbao for the Spanish league title Tuesday night.

Earlier this month, The Associated Press and The (Minneapolis) Star Tribune reported that Rubio, the No. 5 pick in the 2009 NBA draft, finally had reached an agreement to join the Timberwolves after two seasons with Barcelona.

Ales Fevzer/EB/Getty ImagesDespite Ricky Rubio's offensive struggles this season at Barcelona, he's still seen as the Timberwolves' point guard of the future.

The Timberwolves did not confirm those reports, which followed years of speculation that Rubio, 20, did not want to leave Europe or pay a multimillion-dollar buyout of his Barcelona contract out of his own pocket.

Rubio said he was "very happy" after Barcelona won the Spanish league title, according to the Spanish publication Mundo Deportivo. "This title is the most widely appreciated. At last I have it and we must all be proud of it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6663540

DoJoTheSlasher
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Minny needs to trade him... He isn't going to play in Minnesota.

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Maybe this makes him more inclined to leave. He won his title there, now time to start playing for one here.

omdigga
06-15-2011, 12:53 PM
how long does minnesota have rights to him?

allSUAVE
06-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Minnesota made too much mistakes in the draft.

king4day
06-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I think he was talking like that cuz it was right after winning the title.
A lotta players say things in the moment.
He knows it's his time to move on. Money talks and he has a good group of young players to grow with.

Swashcuff

Draft Rights don't expire. If he is to play in the NBA unless his rights are traded he is the property of the Timberwolves.

king4day

Forever.

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 01:11 PM
he's not playing in Minnesota.

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 01:13 PM

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

Sly Guy
06-15-2011, 01:14 PM
am I the only one who thinks all this Rubio hype is all bark and no bite? I mean com'on, the kid has done NOTHING at the NBA level, and basically only had one good tournament in the Olympics. If the kid was that good, he'd be eating up Euro-league. Yes, he's young and raw, but the amount of coverage this kid has got on potential alone is amazing.

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Forever.

This is what I thought too, but I was told by someone on here that they do expire. I think they said something like 5 years after being drafted or something. Now I am confused

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 01:22 PM
This is what I thought too, but I was told by someone on here that they do expire. I think they said something like 5 years after being drafted or something. Now I am confused

And the draft rights don't expire.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Secondary-Market-in-Draft-Rights-98/

tyfreaks brotha
06-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Trade him

PurpleJesus
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
this isnt even really a story. He just won the title, he is saying the right things as he always has. the kid is playing for minnesota this year...if there is no lockout.

as far as the how long do his rights last question...they last forever as long as rubio does not sit out a full season of professional ball. If he did decide to sit out a full season of professional basketball, then he could reenter the draft.

Fnom11
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Overrated.

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
omg. you guys are all such ****ing jokes. use some common sense. What is he supposed to say? He just won the title and the word isnt official. Do you here NBA players announce immediately what the decision is right after winning a championship? "hes not coming to minnesota" "oh minni should trade him" give me a ****ing break. Such a joke. The introductory press conference will be next week. then what will you all say?

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Can I borrow your crystal ball?

no thanks.

eric1501
06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Here are those people coming back out saying he will never play for the Wolves. Where were u couple weeks ago? Does everyone honestly think in an interview right after the game saying we will talk about our future means he is staying? The media is so hilarious!

cwilson21
06-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Yeah he really made it seem like he's going to stay in Spain with those comments.

lakers4sho
06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
am I the only one who thinks all this Rubio hype is all bark and no bite? I mean com'on, the kid has done NOTHING at the NBA level,

You can say the same exact thing about college players, but still they get WAY more publicity especially on ESPN.

and basically only had one good tournament in the Olympics.

Yeah because those same college players have played for the US National team right? :rolleyes:

Rubio at 17 was breaking down the likes of Jason Kidd during the Olympics.

If the kid was that good, he'd be eating up Euro-league.

"Euro-league" teams are ran differently from NBA teams. Their style of play isn't the "me-first, superstar driven" game promoted by the NBA. You won't see one single player hogging all the stats over there.

ddouble
06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Lost in translation.... he's not good enough to choose who he plays for. Stop hating on the Twolves

smith&wesson
06-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Dam, the twolves cant catch a break... this kid has turned in to some what of a head ache id imagine.

Sly Guy
06-15-2011, 01:53 PM
You can say the same exact thing about college players, but still they get WAY more publicity especially on ESPN.

That's because the NCAA is another professional sports league in the States. They get enough media coverage, fans and advertisements to make it so. Besides, I wouldn't think twice about matching a tournament ready Duke squad with most Euro-league teams.

Yeah because those same college players have played for the US National team right? :rolleyes:

Rubio at 17 was breaking down the likes of Jason Kidd during the Olympics.

You'd expect 17 year old legs to be able to corner faster than 35 year old ones tho, right? Besides, it's one thing to get hot for a couple weeks during a tournament, it's another to remain in top flight for years, something Rubio hasn't been able to do, but more than that, has fallen far short of showing any consistency after a season like his last one.

"Euro-league" teams are ran differently from NBA teams. Their style of play isn't the "me-first, superstar driven" game promoted by the NBA. You won't see one single player hogging all the stats over there.

No, but you should see *some* impact on the game. Just glancing at his stats : 6.5ppg on under 40% from 2, 20% from 3 is less than stellar. Then add the 1.95 Assist:TO ratio and you've gotta admit, he's not looking all that great. For a guy playing a position where he's supposed to move the ball, he's not doing that overly efficiently.

Without going into advanced metrics for simplicity's sake, let's look at his number multiplied by 2 for starter's minutes.

That's still 13 ppg on 7APG. His Assist to Turnover Ratio would rank somewhere around 50th in the league. And this is all working under the assumption that Euro-league defense is on par with NBA defense.

He's young, and the scouts must have seen something in him, but I hardly think he deserves all the press he gets, and I think anyone buying that kind of hype is bound to be very disappointed.

tbone2171
06-15-2011, 02:00 PM

And you have insider information how?? Go back to j'ing off to Dirk dude

lakers4sho
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
That's because the NCAA is another professional sports league in the States. They get enough media coverage, fans and advertisements to make it so. Besides, I wouldn't think twice about matching a tournament ready Duke squad with most Euro-league teams.

Bring it on :cool:

You'd expect 17 year old legs to be able to corner faster than 35 year old ones tho, right? Besides, it's one thing to get hot for a couple weeks during a tournament, it's another to remain in top flight for years, something Rubio hasn't been able to do, but more than that, has fallen far short of showing any consistency after a season like his last one.

No, but you should see *some* impact on the game. Just glancing at his stats : 6.5ppg on under 40% from 2, 20% from 3 is less than stellar. Then add the 1.95 Assist:TO ratio and you've gotta admit, he's not looking all that great. For a guy playing a position where he's supposed to move the ball, he's not doing that overly efficiently.

Without going into advanced metrics for simplicity's sake, let's look at his number multiplied by 2 for starter's minutes.

That's still 13 ppg on 7APG. His Assist to Turnover Ratio would rank somewhere around 50th in the league. And this is all working under the assumption that Euro-league defense is on par with NBA defense.

He's young, and the scouts must have seen something in him, but I hardly think he deserves all the press he gets, and I think anyone buying that kind of hype is bound to be very disappointed.

What's his USG%? If you want to stick with outdated measures, go ahead, but it doesn't tell the entire picture.

tbone2171
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
On Wednesday, a source close to Rubio told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that he is unaware of any change to Rubio's plans to play in the NBA next season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6663540

This is just the media trying to create a story

wjmoffatt
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Draft Rights don't expire. If he is to play in the NBA unless his rights are traded he is the property of the Timberwolves.

They do expire, i think it's after 3 years. They brought this fact up during the draft when Minnesota got him, said this would happen

eric1501
06-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Stay tuned for the haters to go hide again when Rubio is holding a Wolves jersey next week at his press conference. My guess is he will be holding one right next to Derrick Williams holding his!

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Stay tuned for the haters to go hide again when Rubio is holding a Wolves jersey next week at his press conference. My guess is he will be holding one right next to Derrick Williams holding his!

He's playing in N.Y. Book it!

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 03:02 PM
ESPN is reporting this as if it is some big deal. Wish I had NBA network...

ddouble
06-15-2011, 03:04 PM

btw, you have to give us players/picks to get him. It's gonna take more than your bench garbage to do it! Book it!

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Maybe at some point, but not before he plays in Minnesota

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
btw, you have to give us players/picks to get him. It's gonna take more than your bench garbage to do it! Book it!

Our bench is garbage:facepalm:...How many games you guys won?

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe at some point, but not before he plays in Minnesota

Yeah he's definitely playing in N.Y. probably in a couple of years! he doesn't want to play in Minny!

WolvesJagsOs
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
lol, the reason he said that was because of the buyout. He has to talk to them about it obviously. IDK why this was blown up like this.

WolvesJagsOs
06-15-2011, 03:18 PM

actually his press will more than likely be on Monday or Tuesday lol. idk why espn blew this story up. He has to discuss a buyout with his team, obviously thats why he said he has to go discuss it with the team.

PhillyFaninLA
06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Honestly I think this is good news for the Wolves...I don't buy this guy, never did. I think he is a guy that could be a passing highlight real but nothing more. I think he is great at razzle dazzle passing and not much more so I think this is good news for the Wolves.

PhillyFaninLA
06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
am I the only one who thinks all this Rubio hype is all bark and no bite? I mean com'on, the kid has done NOTHING at the NBA level, and basically only had one good tournament in the Olympics. If the kid was that good, he'd be eating up Euro-league. Yes, he's young and raw, but the amount of coverage this kid has got on potential alone is amazing.

I've said this since before he was drafted. I've posted numerous times on this site that I don't believe in him at all.

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
lol, the reason he said that was because of the buyout. He has to talk to them about it obviously. IDK why this was blown up like this.

Sick of talking about the heat and its a slow time in sports.

cantstopthee
06-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't want another cancer in the NBA. It has too many already.

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 03:38 PM
In all fairness I don't think the Wolves ever officially announced he was coming over this year have they? I know it was reported but I don't remember Kahn speaking on it yet.....

reemy
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM

How much more wins than the wolves did the knicks have in the playoffs :p

WolvesJagsOs
06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
In all fairness I don't think the Wolves ever officially announced he was coming over this year have they? I know it was reported but I don't remember Kahn speaking on it yet.....

Well like i said, they have a presser lined up for early next week, not sure why they would say that if he wasnt coming lol.

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 03:47 PM
How much more wins did the knicks have in the playoffs than the wolves :p

Lets see...Did the Wolves make the playoffs? If not then you really can't compare. Just worry about your Ravens making it too the playoffs and not losing to the Steelers every year:laugh:

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Lets see...Did the Wolves make the playoffs? If not then you really can't compare. Just worry about your Ravens making it too the playoffs and not losing to the Steelers every year:laugh:

I'd rather not make it to the playoffs and get a good pick even in this poor draft than get swept in the first round.

reemy
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM

Giants....really :laugh2:
I'm also a wolves fan too and my point of saying that is because your team made the playoffs just to get swept. At the end of the day being in the playoffs is not worth anything if you cant even win 1 game and is no reason to belittle a small market team.

ddouble
06-15-2011, 04:01 PM

Point is....any team that wants him has to put a package together thats reasonable to get him! You guys act like we would have to just hand him over and apologize! gimme a break

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Giants....really :laugh2:
I'm also a wolves fan too and my point of saying that is because your team made the playoffs just to get swept. At the end of the day being in the playoffs is not worth anything if you cant even win 1 game and is no reason to belittle a small market team.

Ravens...Really:laugh2:
I won't have to belittle a team if he didn't say what he said. At the end of the day Facts are Facts, reguardless if we didn't win a game in the playoffs we were in it, I bet you would trade anything just to be in the playoffs this season.

At the end of the day I have nothing against the Wolves, if anything you guys are better off trading Rubio, his jumper is horrible and his defense might be worser then Peja...

WolvesJagsOs
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
^Yeah, how long was the Knicks struggling dude? lol. Teams go through rebuilding, it happens.

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 04:07 PM
^Yeah, how long was the Knicks struggling dude? lol. Teams go through rebuilding, it happens.

Like I said, I have nothing against the Wolves if he didn't say what he said, I wouldn't have to bring that up. Trust me I know how it feels when your teams struggle!

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 04:11 PM
The Wolves have a big press conference set up for early next week. There is no way they set that up if they didn't know Rubio was coming over. Rubio and the Wolves couldn't really come out and say, "yes, he/I is coming", with his season still going on. Rubio just won a championship, and the next step would be to discuss the buyout with his current club. No need to win a championship, and then 10 minutes later say, "oh yeah, I am pumped, but I am gonzo!".

They are just doing this professionally.

As for the posters who are claiming you don't think he will amount to anything in the NBA, or the ones who are saying he is a primadonna that is your opinion, and you are more than entitled to have it. Fact is, his teams always win, and his adjusted stats actually translate in as productive, despite his poor shooting ability. His +/- on/off court metrics are also extremely impressive.

Just my $0.02. We will see in a week, and then in a year, if the kid can live up to any expectations. Most here need to remember that he will be coming to a PERFECT situation. Not expected to carry a team, a fan base dying to support someone, so he won't get the huge pressure off the bat, and a base of young players to grow with.

PhillyFaninLA
06-15-2011, 04:16 PM
The Wolves have a big press conference set up for early next week. There is no way they set that up if they didn't know Rubio was coming over. Rubio and the Wolves couldn't really come out and say, "yes, he/I is coming", with his season still going on. Rubio just won a championship, and the next step would be to discuss the buyout with his current club. No need to win a championship, and then 10 minutes later say, "oh yeah, I am pumped, but I am gonzo!".

They are just doing this professionally.

As for the posters who are claiming you don't think he will amount to anything in the NBA, or the ones who are saying he is a primadonna that is your opinion, and you are more than entitled to have it. Fact is, his teams always win, and his adjusted stats actually translate in as productive, despite his poor shooting ability. His +/- on/off court metrics are also extremely impressive.

Just my $0.02. We will see in a week, and then in a year, if the kid can live up to any expectations. Most here need to remember that he will be coming to a PERFECT situation. Not expected to carry a team, a fan base dying to support someone, so he won't get the huge pressure off the bat, and a base of young players to grow with.

Why would he come over right after winning a title and right before a lockout that could go on for who knows how long?

ddouble
06-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Why would he come over right after winning a title and right before a lockout that could go on for who knows how long?

Introduction to media/city/fans/NBA...sign contract etc. It's not like hes gonna stay here til season starts

CityofTreez
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

he certainly will not go to the Raptors, who would? :)

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 04:45 PM

:laugh::laugh:

ryguy2k7
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Rubio is coming. I think he needs to come this year to keep the MN fans interested in him. If he were to stay in Spain for a couple more years, the Wolves fans wouldn't give a crap about him anymore. Who knows how good he will be? Nobody can predict how well he will do in the NBA.

He has the potential to be a face to a franchise that has been in desperate measures to get one since KG left. K Love is an excellent piece but he is no KG. Rubio already has everyone talking, so if all of this hype matches his future play, then this is the perfect situation for him.

BTW, for everyone who ever tweaked out about MN being freezing cold with snow everywhere 24/7...it was definitely 103 degrees a week ago.

Boom.

Punk
06-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Lockout or no lockout, he should make up his mind. The Wolves deserve better than a guy who is gonna play games (no pun intended).

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 05:08 PM

I am not Rubio, so I can't answer that question. I do know his current team has had discussions on trading him if he doesn't leave for the NBA. Both Rubio and his team want him gone. Its just a matter of timing now that his team is done playing.

Again, even Rubio has admitted to being involved in a press conference next week. Does anyone under contract hold a press conference to tell us they are staying with their team? No, they do not.

I have heard he has agreed to a $1.2 million buyout, with the Wolves paying $500,000. But until its officially released, and both Kahn and Rubio confirm, I will simply sit back and wait.

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 05:08 PM

he'd love Toronto. we always attract the european players:)

daleja424
06-15-2011, 05:14 PM
the kid is not worth the trouble...

seriously... kid is a great passer... but come on... he averaged 6 points and 3 assists on sub40% shooting in the euroleague... and was even worse playing in Spain...

people have already figured him out... he is Rajon Rondo without the athleticism, defense, and finishing ability...

PurpleJesus
06-15-2011, 05:19 PM
knick fans are so obsessed with this kid, its ridiculous

cwilson21
06-15-2011, 05:21 PM

seriously... kid is a great passer... but come on... he averaged 6 points and 3 assists on sub40% shooting in the euroleague... and was even worse playing in Spain...

people have already figured him out... he is Rajon Rondo without the athleticism, defense, and finishing ability...

Geez what are you doing on PSD? Why haven't you been hired as a professional scout yet? Thanks for the scouting report on this kid. Now I know not to watch another Timberwolves game.

Yup that's ****ing sarcasm.

daleja424
06-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Geez what are you doing on PSD? Why haven't you been hired as a professional scout yet? Thanks for the scouting report on this kid. Now I know not to watch another Timberwolves game.

Yup that's ****ing sarcasm.

I take it you disagree... LOL

care to elaborate?

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Daleja24, you understand stats. They play at a pace of 70 possessions a game, and Rubio plays 17 mpg. If you translate, you get a 12/8/4 player this year in an average NBA team pace. Considering the league is primarily halfcourt over there, it doesn't play to his strengths at all, which is the open floor. The Wolves were #1 in pace last year. He will look much better in the NBA. Obviously his shot will need a ton of work to be a top 10 PG down the line, but we can cross that bridge when we need to

Lake_Show2416
06-15-2011, 05:55 PM
he doesnt wanna play for a Wolves, this isn't new news :) even if he comes to Minny, he's gone in 4 years or sooner

Cromedome
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
I'd like to see what this kid can do in the NBA before the Knicks pry him away.

Gibby23
06-15-2011, 06:01 PM
With an uptempo team like the Wolves and his passing he could be a 12ppg, 10apg, 5rpg player with around 2 steals because of his defense and long arms. If he develops a shot, watch out.

Gibby23
06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
he doesnt wanna play for a Wolves, this isn't new news :) even if he comes to Minny, he's gone in 4 years or sooner

Why? Gasol stuck around in Memphis for a while, if they were good, he would have stayed. The Wolves could be good in 4 years, they have some nice youngsters, Love, the #2 pick, and rubio coming over. They also have some money to spend and might make a trade.

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 06:08 PM
I think he'll turn out to be decent. Certainly not worth the wait or hype but I think solid. Damn sure better than Flynn, thats for sure!

From what I've seen of him with some time and some SERIOUS work on his J he could become a poor mans Steve Nash in a really very fast pace offense. Or at worst maybe a poor mans Rondo. He sees the floor very well, but has poor decision making.

I don't really buy into the overseas stats though. They said the same thing about Brandon Jennings and he came in rookie year and put up +50....

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Idk if he's gonna be that good. His shoot is HORRIBLE and he plays 0 defense. He can easily improve...Question is can he do it in Minny?

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Idk if he's gonna be that good. His shoot is HORRIBLE and he plays 0 defense. He can easily improve...Question is can he do it in Minny?

Interesting. Coach K and Durant both said he is a great defender....

Hitman21
06-15-2011, 06:31 PM

I dont want this kid anywhere near my knicks. Id rather keep toney douglas. and as for the one talking about the knicks getting swept...how many playoff games have the wolves won in their existence?

GiantsSwaGG
06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Interesting. Coach K and Durant both said he is a great defender....

False...I actually watch a couple of games he played in Spain...He's defense is horrible.

GSRaider
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Minny should trade him... But easier said than done

Gibby23
06-15-2011, 06:41 PM
False...I actually watch a couple of games he played in Spain...He's defense is horrible.

No it's not. Defense is a strong point for him.

VillaMaravilla
06-15-2011, 06:45 PM

the euro game doesnt fit his style at all its similar to when Jenning was over in Italy he was what avg 8 points a game and then get to the Bucks and has an amazing rookie season

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I will choose to believe Coach K, Durant, and the many scouts who claim otherwise man. He is completely disruptive with ball pressure, and will get a ton of steals, which come without hurting his team since he doesn't dive into passing lanes to get them, like a Monta or Iverson for example.

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
im not going to comment on whether or not hes coming anymore. but i think its hilarious when people make assumptions about his defense. Hss defense is phenomenal.

dodie53
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
trade Rubio to the suns
hehe.

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
trade Rubio to the suns
hehe.

my life would be complete

NYKalltheway
06-15-2011, 07:00 PM
People bringing up EuroLeague or Spanish championship stats are way off reality.

a) In Europe the games last 40 minutes, 4 quarters of 10 minutes.

b) In Europe we use ROTATION. Rubio has intense competition from experienced Jaka Lakovic who's a great "short" shooter. Whenever Barcelona needs scoring, he's on, whenever they need better ball movement, Rubio is on. Barcelona plays with "bigs" like Lorbek, Morris, Anderson usually who are F/C that shoot from midrange and further. Rubio is mostly useful when Ndong is on.

c) Assists in International Rules do not count as NBA assists. In Europe when you pass the ball to a player, you need to get him into a direct scoring touch. If he drives, the assist is not yours, it's nobody's. Rubio probably had 6 NBA assists in Spain on average

d) Rubio is a good defensive player, quick thinker and can penetrate with relative ease... He has an awful finishing touch, but that did not stop Rondo from becoming a great player did it?

e) Rubio is #10-14 "playmaking guard" in Europe imo.

f) He will not find it easy to settle in the NBA. Teams tend to play with 3 guards & 2 forwards some times. Other times 3 guards, 1 forward, 1 center. Other times 2 guards, 1 forward, 2 centers... It's weird rotations where coaches try to take advantage of situations. In the NBA it's like a rule. There's a PG, there's a SG etc... And there's a rare case where a SF is used as point guard, aka Point-Forward... Rubio is not going to adjust easy to having to pass to 1 or 2 players while the other 2-3 are redundant in an offense. This is also why his assist numbers are not great. Basketball in Europe is not direct. The ball moves around. Ball could go through everyone in an offense and "PG" will definitely not be getting his assist.

That is all for now. Hellcrooner will add more :p

fadedmario
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I feel bad for Minny fans on here. Most of them are pretty cool. Kevin Love is one of my favorite players and he needs some stability from that franchise. **** Rubio and his Diva mentality. Minnesota has a nice roster with a 2nd pick coming this year. I'd move on if I were them and trade that little *****.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:08 PM
espn is reporting now that he is already signed.

Mplsman
06-15-2011, 07:22 PM
omg. You guys are all such ****ing jokes. Use some common sense. What is he supposed to say? He just won the title and the word isnt official. Do you here nba players announce immediately what the decision is right after winning a championship? "hes not coming to minnesota" "oh minni should trade him" give me a ****ing break. Such a joke. The introductory press conference will be next week. Then what will you all say?

this.

daleja424
06-15-2011, 07:26 PM
the euro game doesnt fit his style at all its similar to when Jenning was over in Italy he was what avg 8 points a game and then get to the Bucks and has an amazing rookie season
Jennings is capable of making an occasional perimeter jump shot...

People bringing up EuroLeague or Spanish championship stats are way off reality.

a) In Europe the games last 40 minutes, 4 quarters of 10 minutes.

b) In Europe we use ROTATION. Rubio has intense competition from experienced Jaka Lakovic who's a great "short" shooter. Whenever Barcelona needs scoring, he's on, whenever they need better ball movement, Rubio is on. Barcelona plays with "bigs" like Lorbek, Morris, Anderson usually who are F/C that shoot from midrange and further. Rubio is mostly useful when Ndong is on.

c) Assists in International Rules do not count as NBA assists. In Europe when you pass the ball to a player, you need to get him into a direct scoring touch. If he drives, the assist is not yours, it's nobody's. Rubio probably had 6 NBA assists in Spain on average

d) Rubio is a good defensive player, quick thinker and can penetrate with relative ease... He has an awful finishing touch, but that did not stop Rondo from becoming a great player did it?

e) Rubio is #10-14 "playmaking guard" in Europe imo.

f) He will not find it easy to settle in the NBA. Teams tend to play with 3 guards & 2 forwards some times. Other times 3 guards, 1 forward, 1 center. Other times 2 guards, 1 forward, 2 centers... It's weird rotations where coaches try to take advantage of situations. In the NBA it's like a rule. There's a PG, there's a SG etc... And there's a rare case where a SF is used as point guard, aka Point-Forward... Rubio is not going to adjust easy to having to pass to 1 or 2 players while the other 2-3 are redundant in an offense. This is also why his assist numbers are not great. Basketball in Europe is not direct. The ball moves around. Ball could go through everyone in an offense and "PG" will definitely not be getting his assist.

That is all for now. Hellcrooner will add more :p
a) That makes no difference if I am looking at stats per unit time...
b) The NBA doesn't work like that. We don't have one PG that passes and one PG that scores. If you can't do both... you probably will not make it very far in the league.
c) If you pass it to a player and that player drives to the hole that is not an assist in the NBA either...
d) Rondo has an elite finishing touch
e) The 10th-14th best playmaking guard in Europe is a sign of praise?... for all the hoopla surrounding this kid you would think he was the second coming of Magic Johnson...

Daleja24, you understand stats. They play at a pace of 70 possessions a game, and Rubio plays 17 mpg. If you translate, you get a 12/8/4 player this year in an average NBA team pace. Considering the league is primarily halfcourt over there, it doesn't play to his strengths at all, which is the open floor. The Wolves were #1 in pace last year. He will look much better in the NBA. Obviously his shot will need a ton of work to be a top 10 PG down the line, but we can cross that bridge when we need to
I will not comment on PACE because I do not have the numbers in front of me... but I will comment on the fact that he is a sub 40% shooter in a less athletically demanding league. With that kind of atrocious ability to score the NBA will not be a friendly place...

I cannot imagine an NBA team not giving him a 3-5 foot cushion (virtually cutting off his ability to get into the paint and make plays)

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
but you understand a slow pace doesn't cater to his strenghts, scoring wise I would assume. Why would we not expect Rubio to play better in a league that runs in transition a ton more? Because that is exactly what the NBA is. The euro league walks the ball up the floor, and runs sets. This does not cater to a poor shooter. But running in the open floor with the best rebounder and outlet passer in the game sure as hell does, especially when you have eyes in the back of your head, have elite passing ability, and you get more layups then you have ever gotten in euroball

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 07:33 PM
this.

im in love with your sig. I cant wait til the next season starts.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
also, Daleja24, concerning your last comment. Yes, they will sag off Rubio. But his elite passing ability will allow him to do what Rondo does. Rubio will now have very clean looks on his guys moving without the ball, and pick teams apart. Sagging off poor shooters is great if they have no idea how to create for others. Unfortunately, that is Rubio's specialty

daleja424
06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
but you understand a slow pace doesn't cater to his strenghts, scoring wise I would assume. Why would we not expect Rubio to play better in a league that runs in transition a ton more? Because that is exactly what the NBA is. The euro league walks the ball up the floor, and runs sets. This does not cater to a poor shooter. But running in the open floor with the best rebounder and outlet passer in the game sure as hell does, especially when you have eyes in the back of your head, have elite passing ability, and you get more layups then you have ever gotten in euroball

also, Daleja24, concerning your last comment. Yes, they will sag off Rubio. But his elite passing ability will allow him to do what Rondo does. Rubio will now have very clean looks on his guys moving without the ball, and pick teams apart. Sagging off poor shooters is great if they have no idea how to create for others. Unfortunately, that is Rubio's specialty

But my understanding is that he is not a good finisher either... so even in transition if teams make him be the scorer... he is in trouble... no?

And that style of play is common during the regular season... but once the playoffs start the pace slows and it becomes much more of a half court game... much more like European ball...

Chronz
06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Look up Hollingers rules of thumb for Euro conversation rates.

daleja424
06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Here Hawk:

# Scoring rate decreases 25 percent
# Rebound rate increases by 18 percent
# Assist rate increases by 31 percent
# Shooting percentage drops by 12 percent
# Overall, player efficiency rating drops by 30 percent

Ricky Rubio
OK, it's time to shine a harsher light here. There's one thing working hugely against Rubio's status as an A-list prospect that nobody seems to want to mention, so let me put it out there: There's very little evidence he can score at anything approaching an acceptable rate for an NBA point guard.

We have very little recent Euroleague data to work with from Rubio -- just a 66-minute sample from this year and a larger sample from two years earlier -- but both sets translate to scoring about five points per 40 minutes and shooting in the low 30s. Ugh. Rubio shot better in the Spanish ACB league this season, including 25-of-62 on 3-pointers, but he also shot only 39 percent on 2s against a lower level of competition.

Same goes for his alleged breakout in the Olympics -- as heralded as he was for his play, he made nine baskets in eight games and shot 28.1 percent for the tournament. And while one of those games was against a team full of U.S. All-Stars, he wasn't bedazzling the Germans or Angolans either. Obviously he's a Jason Kidd-like rarity in that he can have a heavy impact on the game without scoring, but if his shooting numbers don't improve, he'll make Kidd look like Rick Barry.

Those are from Hollinger... and a couple years old... BUT... his scoring/shooting have actually gotten worse since then...

BSF101
06-15-2011, 08:01 PM

I say, He doesn't play at all. If Minnesota was smart, They would trade him to a team like Boston. Boston does need younger guys, a couple of draft trades or players for him why not.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 08:02 PM
But my understanding is that he is not a good finisher either... so even in transition if teams make him be the scorer... he is in trouble... no?

And that style of play is common during the regular season... but once the playoffs start the pace slows and it becomes much more of a half court game... much more like European ball...

Oh he will struggle to score early. But you understand you can improve as a 20 year old haha.

Wolves probably don't need to worry about your second paragraph for a year or two, in which time Rubio will be given skills coach's to improve his scoring ability.

Mplsman
im in love with your sig. I cant wait til the next season starts.

"Gimme that Rose!!!"

(what I think as I stare tirelessly at it after every post) :drool:

Counting down the days til the draft and the season start. I literally cannot wait.

Get this CBA **** done with and lets start the show.

daleja424
LMAO...rubio and rondo on the same time... probably the most inept scoring backcourt in league history...

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Chronz, Daleja24, I am not saying he will be a stud. But he will be a huge upgrade to our situation.

I love Hollinger, I really do. But as I said, if we can simply get a floor general who can be a disruptive defensive player, I am happy.

daleja424
06-15-2011, 08:07 PM
And if that is what you are looking for then you won't be disappointed... however there is a buzz around this kid that is rarely seen (especially about a euro prospect) and most people are expecting Magic Johnson... when in reality they are probably getting Rondo light...

championships
06-15-2011, 08:10 PM
Let is *** stay over seas.

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 08:11 PM
And if that is what you are looking for then you won't be disappointed... however there is a buzz around this kid that is rarely seen (especially about a euro prospect) and most people are expecting Magic Johnson... when in reality they are probably getting Rondo light...

Ok I think you're stretching it a bit with the Magic Johnson. IMO Rondo light aint half bad. Rondo light (or at least the player he was a couple years ago) was an important part of that Celtics championship team. Rondo light is probably still a top 15-20 PG in today's NBA so that ain't really a bad thing.

Green Storm
06-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Rubio is the biggest bust in NBA history so far.

Mplsman
06-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Rubio is the biggest bust in NBA history so far.

Way to think that one through, bud.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 08:42 PM

And that is all I am hoping for...

daleja424
06-15-2011, 08:49 PM
And that is all I am hoping for...

then enjoy :up:

AI4MVP
06-15-2011, 09:19 PM
you guys can expect the second coming of Jason Kidd. Nothing less.

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Look, I am glad to have you on our side, but Rubio has not shown that he will be a star player. As I said, I am simply hoping for a creator who can run and offense and be disruptive on defense. The Wolves run, and have the best rebounder/outlet passer in the NBA, so Rubio should fit in great. But he is a terrible scorer (far worse than Kidd at that age), and will commit a nice amount of turnovers. If I can get the following in year 1, I will be elated:

9 ppg
6.5-7 apg
2.5 spg
PER: 14.5
Ast%: 38
Ortg: 100
Drtg: 105 (since our defense sucks. If we can swing a deal for Iggy, I hope to see this climb up 3 points)
WS: 4

Swashcuff
06-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Look, I am glad to have you on our side, but Rubio has not shown that he will be a star player. As I said, I am simply hoping for a creator who can run and offense and be disruptive on defense. The Wolves run, and have the best rebounder/outlet passer in the NBA, so Rubio should fit in great. But he is a terrible scorer (far worse than Kidd at that age), and will commit a nice amount of turnovers. If I can get the following in year 1, I will be elated:

9 ppg
6.5-7 apg
2.5 spg
Drtg: 105 (since our defense sucks. If we can swing a deal for Iggy, I hope to see this climb up 3 points)

I'm guessing a 3rd team will have to get involved?

FLWolvesFan
06-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Christ guys, he's never indicated that he isn't coming over this year, lets give the kid the benefit of the doubt before everyone jumps all over him. Nor has he said he won't play for MN.

He's 20 and very talented. Let's actually see his game in the NBA before we make some kind of brash judgement on that too.

albertc86
06-15-2011, 09:53 PM
He hasn't even stepped on the NBA hardwood and I'm sick of hearing about the kid already. Isn't he being hyped up to be one of the biggest busts ever if he doesn't play up to expectations?

lakers4sho
06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
At this point the only ones "hyping" him are Wolves fans. So the hate far exceeds the hype.

netsgiantsyanks
06-15-2011, 09:58 PM

not

Twinsfan24
06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Well this thread is useless since espn is reporting that the deal is already signed.... someone should close this.

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
He hasn't even stepped on the NBA hardwood and I'm sick of hearing about the kid already. Isn't he being hyped up to be one of the biggest busts ever if he doesn't play up to expectations?

he will never Play up to the hype.

because 99% of people dont understand that a pg that makes a 12 ppg 11 apg, 4 rpg, 2 spg 0,1 Topg line is hands down better than ones that makes a
29 ppg 5 apg 2 rpg 0,5 spg 3 TOpg on 30% shooting,

the first oen will be called role player and the second one Star .
when the first one should be called allstar and the second one useless ballhoging crap-

Hawkeye15
06-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm guessing a 3rd team will have to get involved?

With the #2 pick, and a filler, why would a 3rd team need to be involved?

PurpleJesus
06-16-2011, 12:08 AM

I just don't get you guys sometimes (NY fans). We can't talk about your bench being bad because you guys made the playoffs...but according to your sig, you can make fun of the Heat even though they were completely superior to your team. NY fans...smh

imagesrdecievin
06-16-2011, 12:51 AM
I just don't get you guys sometimes (NY fans). We can't talk about your bench being bad because you guys made the playoffs...but according to your sig, you can make fun of the Heat even though they were completely superior to your team. NY fans...smh

some (knicks)fans don't need logic to win an argument - they just need a keyboard plus some grade-A delusion.

NYKalltheway
06-16-2011, 06:51 AM
novers. If I can get the following in year 1, I will be elated:

9 ppg
6.5-7 apg
2.5 spg

Won't comment on advanced stats, but this is what you will get:

PPG: 7-10
APG: 8-12
SPG: 2-3
TPG: 2-3

Assists will depend on playing style and options available. If Wes Johnson rises to potential, Beasley stays and Love remains on top form, Rubio can average 15 assists but be reduced to 4-5 ppg. The kid needs to find the ideal role and his teammates need to perform well as well. He's not the "stats" type of player. He's efficient and will be more efficient if his teammates finish off his plays

Swashcuff
06-16-2011, 07:31 AM
At this point the only ones "hyping" him are Wolves fans. So the hate far exceeds the hype.

AI4MVP who said expect Jason Kidd is not a Wolves fan, many others who hype and already crown him as the next big thing called thing aren't Wolves fans. Crooner is a Lakers fan and he says Rubio is going to be the best Euro of all time.

Now if that isn't hype then I really don't know what is. Just 2 out of examples of none wolves fan "hyping". When stuff like that are said it can be understood why other fans would get testy especially seeing that Rubio hasn't even stepped on an NBA floor in his career.

twin4life
06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
let the haters hate! Welcome to the Wolves Ricky I'm pumped to have you here. I think youll do great in the nba. everyone who doesnt think youll pan out to be anything in the NBA PROVE THEM WRONG!!

GO WOLVES!!

Swashcuff
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
With the #2 pick, and a filler, why would a 3rd team need to be involved?

I didn't think you guys would be interested in giving up the #2 pic for Iggy. Interesting. IMO it's good enough but I'm still hoping we can get a C in return for Iggy.

MagicHero3
06-16-2011, 08:21 AM
now that Rubios comin, BRING FRAN VASQUEZ lol