PDA

View Full Version : So are we going to act like dominique wilkins isn't the GOAT euro born player?

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Jacques Dominique Wilkins (Dominique, Nique, The Human Highlight Film)

Position: Forward-Guard ▪ Height: 6-7 ▪ Weight: 200 lbs.
Born: January 12, 1960 in Paris, France

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
What are you points to back up why hes the GOAT euro born player? Statistics?

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 10:40 PM
What are you points to back up why hes the GOAT euro born player? Statistics?

Common sense

210Don
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
was he raised there? and hes black. :shrug:

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Common sense

Saying Dominique is the GOAT for euroborn player isnt common sense. There needs to be some reason for why you say Dominique is better than dirk.

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM

You can be black and born in france. You can be black and born anywhere.

HeatFan2011
06-14-2011, 10:42 PM
yes. The best in his prime and even most consistent overall

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Saying Dominique is the GOAT for euroborn player isnt common sense. There needs to be some reason for why you say Dominique is better than dirk.

Dominique is just better, i mean if you need convincing to know that, then what i say really wont matter since you are a lost cause.

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 10:51 PM
scoring wise, is dominque ranked higher than dirk?

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 10:52 PM
scoring wise, is dominque ranked higher than dirk?

Easily

MacFitz92
06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Easily

Regular season:
Dirk (PER): 23.7
Nique (PER): 21.6

Dirk (TS%): 58.3
Nique (TS%): 53.6

Playoffs:
Dirk (PER): 24.7
Nique (PER): 18.7

Dirk (TS%): 58.4
Nique (TS%): 51.0

You basically don't know what you're talking about in all honesty. In fact, in the playoffs, Dirk is on a different level than Nique.

shep33
06-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Nique was a beast offensively, but probably not as good as Dirk

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
http://rettwit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/dirk-nowitzki-photo-2.jpg

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Regular season:

Playoffs:

You basically don't know what you're talking about in all honesty. In fact, in the playoffs, Dirk is on a different level than Nique.

Once again, advanced stats dont tell the story. Nique is just a better player than dirk, anybody with eyes sees it.

tredigs
06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Dirk is a better player than Nique, for one. If you think Nique is better, then you must also believe that 'Melo is better. They might be the most comparable players in NBA history (other than Wilkins being able to absolutely smash it).

Anyways, haha - the dude is not a Euro. Just because your dad was in the US Army stationed in France and you grew up on a military base there does NOT make you Euro. Played high school/college in America, as well.

Darrell Russell
06-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Nique was a beast offensively, but probably not as good as Dirk

Better offensively than dirk, even at 35 he put up 19 and 10 at sf in the playoffs. At 37 coming off the bench he put up 18 ppg.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Dirk is a better player than Nique, for one. If you think Nique is better, then you must also believe that 'Melo is better. They might be the most comparable players in NBA history (other than Wilkins being able to absolutely smash it).

Anyways, haha - the dude is not a Euro. Just because your dad was in the US Army stationed in France and you grew up on a military base there does NOT make you Euro. Played high school/college in America, as well.

stole my answer...

MacFitz92
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Once again, advanced stats dont tell the story. Nique is just a better player than dirk, anybody with eyes sees it.

Anybody with eyes can look and tell Nique was a great scorer and one of the best dunkers of all time.

However, offensively, he wasn't as good as Dirk. You can keep saying: "No, Nique was better, anyone with eyes can see it." but in reality no statistic can prove so, and basketball is a sport where advanced statistics, clutch statictics, etc. can tell most of the story.

Nique has never been as good as Dirk offensively and in the playoffs the gap is ridiculously noticeable. (We're talking about several tiers difference.)

mike_noodles
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM

Seriously??? :facepalm:

Back on topic, Dirk says hello.

Hellcrooner
06-14-2011, 11:18 PM
1 if theres ONE player from teh past i would NOt PLace ahead of dirk is Wilkins he had ALL THE HELP he could ask for and he didnt even make the finals.
2 he is Euroborn but he was AMERICAN as in played for USA TEAm at some point ( like Hakeem did too) so they dont qualify for best euro or best foreigner ever.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Wow. Nique was a very good player. HOF but Dirk is now a LEGEND. Dirk has about 22k career points, scores about 23-24 a game and isn't injury prone and barring a lockout or a freak injury, he still has about 3 or 4 years left of his current play plus the possible last few years of average play. Dirk still has a lot left.

Young2Kinsler
06-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Wilkins is an all time great, but he's not Dirk. Dirk is in the ELITE group of guys with 10 ASG, an MVP, and Finals MVP. If you can't handle him being a top 20 player of all time, keep kidding yourself.

Mudvayne91
06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Frenchmen don't deserve credit.

asandhu23
06-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Nique played in an era with defense, an era with no phantom calls.

lol jk. dirk is a beast and better than nique.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-14-2011, 11:42 PM
Isn't kobe italian or something or was it he lived there

JordansBulls
06-14-2011, 11:55 PM

But he is not french. He is black. Being the best Euro player is someone who is born from Europe with that descent.

GREATNESS ONE
06-14-2011, 11:58 PM
^ What?

I think Nique was a great player but Dirk winning that championship has catapulted him up the ladder.

PHX2daDEATH
06-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Interesting...Nique's career never really gets critiqued, his best teamates were Doc, a 34 year old Moses Malone ,and Reggie Theus? I dont know if you call his teams stacked..but they were good regular season teams from 85-89 . Dominique might be the most under-rated scorer along with Adrian Dantley and Alex English in the history of the game..he gets over looked for playing in the era with Magic, Jordan and Bird... still he'd be a top 3 player in today's game..NO DOUBT.. I remember in 93-94 the Hawks seemed to be thriving because Jordan retired..they really screwed themselves by trading Nique for Danny Manning that year, they coulda re-tooled the team around Wilkins and attempted to get to the finals..what amazes me most about Wilkins is that he blew his achilles sat out a year..returned a year later to Help the Spurs to a 17 win season that allowed them to pick TD... oh yeah he's not really european..he's not a part of the culture, he didn't grow up in france drinking wine and croissants...but it doesnt matter because a week ago he might of been better than Dirk but not anymore..

jmeeks42
06-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Why are people bringing up the fact that 'Nique was black in this debate?

blastmasta26
06-15-2011, 12:06 AM
The fact that 'Nique was black has no bearing on his eligibility to be best Euro.

But it doesn't matter. Dirk was better, and it's not really close.

evadatam5150
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM

This is just a ridiculous post.. Honestly, do some people just dream up drama for the summer time just in case topics get stale..

1st things first.. Wilkens is an American.. His father was in the military stationed in France which doesn't in ANY WAY what so ever make him a Foreign player.. Can you say US citizen at birth..

Wow.. Loved Dominique, greatest dunker in my opinion..

ragee
06-15-2011, 12:07 AM

Because all you see are those crazy dunks... At least Macfitz backed his claim up with stats... What do you have?

SeoulBeatz
06-15-2011, 12:08 AM

NO YOU CAN'T!!! Blasphemy

TheRunKiller
06-15-2011, 12:13 AM

:laugh:

tredigs
06-15-2011, 12:18 AM
But he is not french. He is black. Being the best Euro player is someone who is born from Europe with that descent.

JB, you can't be serious here? I know many fully french black skinned people. Having ancestors from Africa or areas of the Middle East has no bearing on a persons nationality, don't be ridiculous. Just as you can be American while our ethnicities range every spectrum.

The reason he isn't French has absolutely nothing to do with him being black, and everything to do with the fact that HE IS AMERICAN. His dad was an officer in the US Military, stationed in France. They moved back to America when he was still a kid and he was never anything other than a US Citizen to the best of my knowledge.

BadBoyPistons
06-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Certainly would not consider Nique european but whatever..

tredigs
06-15-2011, 12:20 AM
edit: JB, what exactly would you consider Tony Parker - if not a Frenchman?

Weezyana
06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Hes not European. I was born on a base in Germany but i have never been anything but a US citizen. Besides, Dirk is definitely better than Nique.

THE GIPPER
06-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Nique played in an era with defense, an era with no phantom calls.

lol jk. dirk is a beast and better than nique.

bahaha nice sig

THE GIPPER
06-15-2011, 12:38 AM

then by your logic players like kobe and jordan are african. not american.

chickendinner11
06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Isn't kobe italian or something or was it he lived there

i started reading this and was wondering if this was ever going to be written. this is the end of thread isn't it?

DoJoTheSlasher
06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Speaking of black frenchmen, the Mavs had 3 black frenchmen this season. Alexis Ajinca, Rodrigue Beaubois and Ian Mahinmi.

South Sided
06-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Regular season:

Playoffs:

Where in the world did you get those stats from how about just post the true #'s & not stat geek nonsense???? Players are judged on there per game & career averages not this Never Played Anything advanced nerd garbage.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wilkido01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nowitdi01.html

And for the record Nique was a much better player than Dirk on both sides of the ball. However, I wouldn't consider him a European player just like I don't consider Jordan a New York bred ball player, though he was born in Brooklyn.

TMAC94
06-15-2011, 01:00 AM

i am not white yet i am italian ?

LA_Raiders
06-15-2011, 01:08 AM
I got a name for you guys Pau Gasol *****es... NBA & FIBA He is the man hands down...

LA_Raiders
06-15-2011, 01:13 AM
LOL, you guys are funny...

Born in France: He is French
Parents are American: He can have a dual nationality but he stil born in France

Weezyana
06-15-2011, 01:16 AM
Where in the world did you get those stats from how about just post the true #'s & not stat geek nonsense???? Players are judged on there per game & career averages not this Never Played Anything advanced nerd garbage.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wilkido01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nowitdi01.html

And for the record Nique was a much better player than Dirk on both sides of the ball. However, I wouldn't consider him a European player just like I don't consider Jordan a New York bred ball player, though he was born in Brooklyn.

You don't have to use advanced stats to show how dirk is better. Wilkins put up 2 ppg more while taking 3 more shots per game, dirk has him in boards, neither were even average defenders. Dirk has superior playoff numbers (Wilkins is a career 42% shooter in the playoffs, which is garbage). Dirk has a much more well rounded offensive game and is a MUCH tougher cover than Wilkins ever was. Dirk has an MVP, finals MVP, 2 finals appearances, 1 title, all of which Wilkins has 0 of. Dirk is an 11 time all NBA selection to Wilkins 7 and has a 50-40-90 season, something which Wilkins never came even remotely close to. Wilkins was a better dunker, that's it.

JasonJohnHorn
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM

If Chalize Theron is African American, then french people can be black. That's all I'm saying.

But yeah, Dirk is better than Nique.

I'm not going to get into why, I'm just speakin' from the gut. They were both great, but Dirk is more of a team player, Nique was a ball hog that drove in the no-passing lane. I'm a fan of team ball, and that's Dirk. Though I'd rather watch Nique's highlight reel, especially that one dunk he fubarred in during the all-star game one year. PRICELESS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYmXUK1EW4

wjmoffatt
06-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Since Kobe spent most of his youth in Italy, does that make him Foreign? I mean he speaks English, Italian, and French; with a little Serbian. Can't say because he played his high school ball here, because would that make Marc Gasol American? I think it should go by where you grew up at and learned your life altering lessons.

wjmoffatt
06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
If Chalize Theron is African American, then french people can be black. That's all I'm saying.

But yeah, Dirk is better than Nique.

I'm not going to get into why, I'm just speakin' from the gut. They were both great, but Dirk is more of a team player, Nique was a ball hog that drove in the no-passing lane. I'm a fan of team ball, and that's Dirk. Though I'd rather watch Nique's highlight reel, especially that one dunk he fubarred in during the all-star game one year. PRICELESS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYmXUK1EW4

There's a lot of black fighting champions out there in the world. Luol Deng is from England too. It's all Euro countries today.

Raidaz4Life
06-15-2011, 10:30 AM
This thread makes my head hurt.

jp611
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Well according to the OP the league was watered down then, so it's gotta be Dirk

Sly Guy
06-15-2011, 10:59 AM

you seem to keep saying that, but by the end of page one, I don't see any claims as to why you think that.

knickfan33
06-15-2011, 11:11 AM
mmmmmm... do your homework

olojawan, ewing, dirk, nash, duncan, tony parker, manu genobli... all born outside US....

5 of them are definetly better then nique... and the others are arguable.

knickfan33
06-15-2011, 11:13 AM
oh specifically euro.... nevermind above.... still going with dirk

Dstmccoy
06-15-2011, 11:21 AM

This.....
Most Military Brats born abroad become US Citizens with a simple form. You might want to choose someone of European descent.

Ill21
06-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Frenchmen don't deserve credit.

lol

Hellcrooner
06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
mmmmmm... do your homework

olojawan, ewing, dirk, nash, duncan, tony parker, manu genobli... all born outside US....

5 of them are definetly better then nique... and the others are arguable.

virgin islands belong to U.S so much as people likes to thorw him out there as "foregine" duncan is american, so are olajuwon and ewing, they got their american passport andthey played for team usa, hence they are americans

Ty Fast
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
dirk

IDB Josh M
06-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I got a name for you guys Pau Gasol *****es... NBA & FIBA He is the man hands down...

Toss up between Dirk and Pau. Dirk is the better one man army, and can even carry a team on his back. Pau is more of a teamguy, who needs the load off his shoulders to be effective. One on one though, dirk will eat Pau alive.

I'm a laker fan, and this is what I think.

The April Fool
06-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Charlize Theron is from South Africa, & Africa is not a country. South African people come in multiple colors like most of the developed world.

Using your dumb logic are you saying that any Black person cant be American? If they cant be considered French, why should they be considered American?

yanks19791024
06-15-2011, 12:42 PM
drazen petrovic would have been the best

JayAllDay
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Born on a US military base = US citizen

Not French at all

/thread

heyman321
06-15-2011, 12:54 PM

your stupidity never ceases to amaze me

raiderNlakerfan
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Uhh. Idk yall. Nique was more athletic u can say. But id take dirk over nique any day. A 7 footer with a nasty fade away and with 3 point range?? Yikes.