PDA

View Full Version : Glen Rice: “LeBron is not even close to Jordan… that would be Kobe”

knightstemplar
06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
“There’s no way. Michael Jordan’s the best player ever, come on. LeBron’s a great player, I’m not trying to take anything from him. But you talk about someone who had the will to not only take over a game, but to bring his teammates up to another level? Michael Jordan, hand’s down. It’s not even close. And if there is someone close, it’s not LeBron, it would be Kobe Bryant.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Taking-the-gloves-off-and-catching-up-with-ex-L?urn=nba-wp4489

Chacarron
06-14-2011, 09:33 PM
I love Glen Rice.

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 09:34 PM
cue LeBron haters and Kobe Stans

Ray_R
06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
^^ Ready

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2011, 09:36 PM
he's right

Master Mind
06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
:horse:

Khalifa21
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
LeBron's not close to MJ, Kobe's not close to MJ.

NOBODY is close to MJ. When will people realize this and stop making these ridiculous comparisons?

Jordan revolutionized the game of basketball and made it what it is today. There will never be a player like him or close to achieving his greatness.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-14-2011, 09:54 PM
He's right, nothing wrong, who has lebron ever made better and make them elevate their game to a level thats not possible

TylerSL
06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
who cares?

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 09:55 PM
As great as kobe is, he may be a better comparism to jordan than lebron.

Testaverde16
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks, Glen.

This doesn't really matter. Lebron can still turn it around and get everyone back on his ****. For now, this is easy to say, but he is still amazing and can get to another level. Those who watched Jordan know that he was the best.

ManRam
06-14-2011, 09:56 PM
So every time someone kind of relevent says something about LeBron's legacy it's thread-worthy?

Glen played with Kobe, not surprising he'd have Kobe's back.

Neither are close to Jordan. Kobe's prime wasn't even close to as good, nor are his numbers. He has the rings. LeBron has the numbers, but don't have the rings.

How about Kobe is Kobe, and LeBron is LeBron. I hate always trying to compare people.

still1ballin
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Saddler is right for saying Rice is right

BigCityofDreams
06-14-2011, 09:59 PM
He's right, nothing wrong, who has lebron ever made better and make them elevate their game to a level thats not possible

Would it be fair to say he evaluated the Cavs team as a whole?

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Saddler is right for saying Rice is right

Saddler the Gr8 is always right.

AIRMAR72
06-14-2011, 10:07 PM
ima 1000% sure glenn meant kobe STYLE is more like jordan because even without a legit post game or RINGS bron is STILL better than kobe regular season and playoffs kobe has never lefted his teammates level of play NEVER and his WILL to win is FAKE look at this yr playoffs kobe is the most overrated player to play in NBA put em on da bucks SQUAD or raptors and i bet u anything they dont make the playoff that is why pau is there playing for the lakers when he(PAU) struggle so did the lakers what did kobe do? M.I.A) where was his WILL and EFFORT? you laker fan on PSD SAY he da mamba or samba dude is wore out from too many milage)OL MAN KIDD shut em down he played horrible with his delusional qoutes during his post game interview and the media said NOTHING and bron who made it to the finials and lost to a focus veteran team who have 2-3 HOF plus da mavs were hungry fans need to understand its bron and wade 1st yr playing together you guys need to get off bron NUTS and stop buying into media trashing on bron and use your eyes and common sense

lakeshow3peat
06-14-2011, 10:16 PM
ima 1000% sure glenn meant kobe STYLE is more like jordan because even without a legit post game or RINGS bron is STILL better than kobe regular season and playoffs kobe has never lefted his teammates level of play NEVER and his WILL to win is FAKE look at this yr playoffs kobe is the most overrated player to play in NBA put em on da bucks SQUAD or raptors and i bet u anything they dont make the playoff that is why pau is there playing for the lakers when he(PAU) struggle so did the lakers what did kobe do? M.I.A) where was his WILL and EFFORT? you laker fan on PSD SAY he da mamba or samba dude is wore out from too many milage)OL MAN KIDD shut em down he played horrible with his delusional qoutes during his post game interview and the media said NOTHING and bron who made it to the finials and lost to a focus veteran team who have 2-3 HOF plus da mavs were hungry fans need to understand its bron and wade 1st yr playing together you guys need to get off bron NUTS and stop buying into media trashing on bron and use your eyes and common sense

:facepalm: wow can you be any more ignorant

Lakerhead4ever
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
its funny that so many nba players say this but yet psd says their wrong

even though these are the players who witness mj,kobe,lebron on the court

this is why i say stats mean nothing

we dont need stats to know mj is by far the greatest

all ppl car about is players ability to takeover games and win

this is why id choose wade over lebron

lakeshow3peat
06-14-2011, 10:28 PM

i agree with you i would say the heat need to say wade your the leader i dont care how great people think bron is wade has the ring and more of a shooter and closer .

lakers4sho
06-14-2011, 10:30 PM
The pRICE is right.

Avenged
06-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Saddler has suddenly got on my good side as of late :laugh2: :p

Anyways, although I don't really agree to the extent that Kobe is close to Jordan, he's a lot closer to Jordan than Lebron is.

Cal827
06-14-2011, 10:33 PM
How many more people are going to come out and say "Lebron is not Jordan"? Come on, nobody is like Jordan, not even Kobe. Lebron is still a great player, and his career isn't over just yet. Seriously, I'm waiting for Al Sharpton to speak out and say that LBJ isn't MJ.... after a long, annoying story lol

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2011, 10:34 PM
Saddler has suddenly got on my good side as of late :laugh2: :p

Anyways, although I don't really agree to the extent that Kobe is close to Jordan, he's a lot closer to Jordan than Lebron is.

lol u either love me or hate me. i talk alot of ****

pd1dish
06-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Rice is right.

IDB Josh M
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Wade is closer to Jordan then Lebron. I wonder what D-Wade is thinking of his teammate.

chicago lulz
06-14-2011, 10:43 PM
We get it, Lebron isn't Jordan. Doesn't have to repeated over and over and over and over again.

Holydiver
06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
still in shock that Pippen could blaspheme

D Roses Bulls
06-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Nobody is close to MJ /thread

Avenged
06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
still in shock that Pippen could blaspheme

Pippen really ****ed up by saying what he did.

If anything, Lebron should be eased at criticism over this, it's not his fault Pippen was talking out of his ***.

Dash
06-14-2011, 10:52 PM
He's right.

LeBron keep getting hated on.

BigCityofDreams
06-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Pippen really ****ed up by saying what he did.

If anything, Lebron should be eased at criticism over this, it's not his fault Pippen was talking out of his ***.

Maybe he did it on purpose.

Grand Master B
06-14-2011, 11:07 PM

THANK YOU! this is what i have been saying for years. EVERY time they ask actual players "who is better?", they ALWAYS say Kobe. Its really not even close. They always do. It cracks me up that loser fans who have never played think they are better judges of talent then ACTUAL PLAYERS...... and by the way, even Jordan says Kobe is better. (And i mean Prime years)

Denverbronco007
06-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Jordan doesn't really mean that. Have you listened to his hall of fame speech...

BigCityofDreams
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
So he just said to make cause trouble?

Grand Master B
06-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Im sure NONE of the players who say that "really mean it"....

Denverbronco007
06-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Kobe is the closest we've seen to Jordan. Mike was just on another level. Mike played in a time when defenses where very tough.. It's just a different game now. Lebron will be better. He will adjust his game and eventually win multiple championships. I think this is a learning experience for him.. People have to remember Mike was in the league several years before he won his first championship..

Denverbronco007
06-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Also, Mike constantly faced double and triple teams and still got off.. At the same time, shutting the best player on the opposing team down..

Grand Master B
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
.... and what people also dont mention is that Jordans team mates could also set spine crushing screens for him that you cant do now. I do think Lebron and Kobe would have learned to survive in that style of play as well.

Astronaut
06-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Heat forum.

blastmasta26
06-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Raw talent wise, LeBron is definitely better than Kobe and is quite Jordanesque. But he doesn't have the mentality or killer instinct to accompany it. I thought LeBron was for sure going to surpass Kobe all time with the way he was playing in the playoffs this year (and how he has been outperforming Kobe in his prime), but the Finals really hurt him. I know it's only one series, but legacies are very dependent on Finals performances.

BadBoyPistons
06-15-2011, 12:21 AM
he's right
:clap:

THE GIPPER
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
why does everyone keep comparing lebron to michael???

JamaicanYouth
06-15-2011, 12:35 AM
kobe is a poor mans micheal jordan closest thing we got to the GOAT

Crackadalic
06-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Mj

Everybody else. Just stop comparing to this guy. Its just not fair

LA_Raiders
06-15-2011, 01:01 AM
Smart Guy with ring...

RaidersLakers24
06-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Raw talent wise, LeBron is definitely better than Kobe and is quite Jordanesque. But he doesn't have the mentality or killer instinct to accompany it. I thought LeBron was for sure going to surpass Kobe all time with the way he was playing in the playoffs this year (and how he has been outperforming Kobe in his prime), but the Finals really hurt him. I know it's only one series, but legacies are very dependent on Finals performances.

No way did Lebron ever outplay Kobe in his prime Kobe in his prime averaged 30+ 5 and 5 and it wasn't till 2 years ago when Kobe was already slowing down that Lebron started putting up better stats! Kobe always has had the more complete game! Every year the players say Kobe is the best in the league so take it for what it is!
But players opinions>psd's opinions!

Btw Kobe is and probably always will be the closest thing to Jordan!

12evolution 9
06-15-2011, 01:14 AM
^^ Ready

dude your sig is rediculous...

ya know how much stacks Lebron can pour all over himself... his life is way better than the dude pouring a whole bunch of George Washingtons around

La11
06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Saddler the Gr8 is always right.

pretty sure your one of the idiots on raptors forum

La11
06-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Glen Rice is right..Its Kobe thats the closest to MJ especially since Kobe copy his game after MJ.....fade aways, sticking out tongue, switching hands right to left, post up moves, competitiveness and making his teammates better ( say the last 3-5 years)

Sadds The Gr8
06-15-2011, 01:30 AM
pretty sure your one of the idiots on raptors forum

pretty sure you're the biggest nutrider in the raptors forum, seeing as you're on mine all the time.

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2011, 01:38 AM
While I am also tired of the comparisons, I'm even more sick and tired of how easily the opinions of NBA players and coaches are undermined by some on this board. If Pippen says that LeBron is like Jordan, the only opinions that matter after something like that is said are those of Jordan and his contemporaries. To a man, with the exception of Pip who has since backed off of that bold statement, they all conclude differently.

The funny part is that there are only a handful of guys in the league that bridge the eras and can give a legitimate comparison between MJ, LBJ and KB. Amazingly enough, you don't hear any of those players or coaches coming forth to support Pippen's side.

I think it's time to drop it. Let today's players build their legacy and retire before any more comparisons and GOAT predictions are debated.

basketfan4life
06-15-2011, 02:16 AM
i don't understand how people here underrate Kobe's prime in here...Kobe's prime was absolutely sick, better than i've ever seen LeBron. İt wasn't his fault to play with the worst squad in the league other than him, but he still got that team to playoffs in the wil wild west...

i'm telling you, especially in 2006 Kobe was historic, i don't know about how to put wilt in the conversation but Kobe to me was one of the 2 best scorers this league has ever seen.Stop with this bs...

bmd1101
06-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Kobe is the closest we've seen to Jordan. Mike was just on another level. Mike played in a time when defenses where very tough.. It's just a different game now. Lebron will be better. He will adjust his game and eventually win multiple championships. I think this is a learning experience for him.. People have to remember Mike was in the league several years before he won his first championship..

He's got a point, 96 Finals Seattle's nasty defense couldnt even shut him down. Granted they slowed him down, but even Payton couldn't guard Jordan for a full 48 although held him to somethin like 41% shooting over the 6games but he still scored in volume. Damn Hawkin's, Perkins, and Schremph couldnt hit a 3 to save their life that series.

Rndy
06-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Totally different Era's Kobe isn't close to Jordan and it would be even farther if Jordan played with these rules. . Imagine if he played now with these Bogus calls? 40-45 points a game easily in my opinion.

The Final Boss
06-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Why can't we just let Kobe be the greatest already. I mean has he not already accomplished more than Jordan has at the same age? And let's not bring up MVPs because everyone knows that's a crock.

Btw...

Wizards Jordan (who kept getting hung)>>> Finals LOLebron

Purple&Gold24
06-15-2011, 04:44 AM
cue LeBron haters and Kobe Stans

hahahh aww

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Why can't we just let Kobe be the greatest already. I mean has he not already accomplished more than Jordan has at the same age? And let's not bring up MVPs because everyone knows that's a crock.

Btw...

Wizards Jordan (who kept getting hung)>>> Finals LOLebron

I really hope you are being sarcastic about Kobe being better than Jordan.

Lim
06-15-2011, 06:08 AM
why do ppl keep comparing lebron to mJ? doesnt lebron play more like Magic? if anything lebron is a poormans magic

sventhedog
06-15-2011, 07:37 AM
i think this will be an argument again if kobe is that really close to jordan.

one thing is for certain though. glen rice is smarter than scottie pippen.

BigCityofDreams
06-15-2011, 10:01 AM
i don't understand how people here underrate Kobe's prime in here...Kobe's prime was absolutely sick, better than i've ever seen LeBron. İt wasn't his fault to play with the worst squad in the league other than him, but he still got that team to playoffs in the wil wild west...

i'm telling you, especially in 2006 Kobe was historic, i don't know about how to put wilt in the conversation but Kobe to me was one of the 2 best scorers this league has ever seen.Stop with this bs...

He'll be held in higher regard when he retires and ppl look back at his career. Not saying they will put him on Jordan's level but when he hangs it up there won't be as much doubt as there is now.

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
why do ppl keep comparing lebron to mJ? doesnt lebron play more like Magic? if anything lebron is a poormans magic

I don't even think it's fair to Magic to be compared to LeBron. I know the game seems similar, but the mentality is different.

smith&wesson
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
he's right. kobe is the closest to jordan. he's no jordan. but he is the closest thing to jordan thus far.

funkybudda
06-15-2011, 02:23 PM

NOBODY is close to MJ. When will people realize this and stop making these ridiculous comparisons?

Jordan revolutionized the game of basketball and made it what it is today. There will never be a player like him or close to achieving his greatness.

I agree, but if you measuring the distance between Kobe and LBJ to become like Jordan, Kobe is ahead of LBJ for sure. But both are way far from MJ.

MagicHero3
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
lol all these compaisons! the NBA fan of the PSD world is going crazy now that theres NOTHING to talk about except comparing Lebron to people. Why cant we talk about something/SOMEONE else! its pointless comparing people- lebrons a SF. MJ was a SG. there, now you literally cant compare them- apples and oranges.

LakersMaster24
06-15-2011, 04:23 PM
You cant really deny it. Lebron is not close to Jordan, not only skill wise but also by his style of play. Kobe is the closest thing to his Airness that we will ever see. Kobes and MJ's style of play is just too similiar....

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 04:24 PM
As far as playing style and scoring ability Kobe is as close as it gets to MJ, thats not even debatable.

I don't see that as a knock on Lebron though most rational people know that he is in his own lane. Pippen just needs to lay off that stuff!

JamarcusRussell
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Nah man.... Jordan>>>Kobe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lebum.... das wat it is

Green Storm
06-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Rice is right

albertc86
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM

When people realize that Jordan wasn't perfect. Like Kobe, he could come out and miss his first 10 shots and still end up with 30+ points. Stop deifying Jordan like he did no wrong or the game of basketball started or ended with him. I'm not arguing that Jordan didn't change the game of basketball but the game existed way before he entered the league.

Jordan is the better overall player but Kobe is better in certain areas than Jordan was.

lakersiznumber1
06-15-2011, 05:18 PM
glen is right it is the dumb media trying to build a new star. When you ask players around the league they say Kobe so who cares wat the media thinks.When u watch kobe you see mj jus like when you use 2 watch jordan you used to see dr j. Lebron is a great player but he is not at that level his game is based on all power and does not have the skills of mj or kb. lebron is pippen and dominque great players with gifted skills like never seen before, but kobe mj and dr. j our players who you want see again in another player 4 yrs 2 come

lakersiznumber1
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=lakersiznumber1;18253166]glen is right it is the dumb media trying to build a new star. When you ask players around the league they say Kobe so who cares wat the media thinks.When u watch kobe you see mj jus like when you use 2 watch jordan you used to see dr j. Lebron is a great player but he is not at that level his game is based on all power and does not have the skills of mj or kb. lebron is pippen and dominque great players with gifted skills like never seen before, but kobe mj and dr. j our players who you wont see again in another player 4 yrs 2 come. When all 3 touch the ball u have 2 scratch your head and say its that possible for a person to do that

RaiderLakersA's
06-15-2011, 05:34 PM
glen is right it is the dumb media trying to build a new star. When you ask players around the league they say Kobe so who cares wat the media thinks.When u watch kobe you see mj jus like when you use 2 watch jordan you used to see dr j. Lebron is a great player but he is not at that level his game is based on all power and does not have the skills of mj or kb. lebron is pippen and dominque great players with gifted skills like never seen before, but kobe mj and dr. j our players who you want see again in another player 4 yrs 2 come

You raise an interesting point.

There was a time when Dr. J. was considered THE man. Back in that era it wasn't hard for press and fans to consider him GOAT-like -- certainly top 10 all time -- because of all of his superlatives.

But eventually over time some perspective was established. Dr. J's star faded. Today you can actually find several "experts" who refuse to list Julius in their top 10 all time. My how times have changed.

Given that, you have to wonder if the same will happen to the likes of Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Bird, Magic...hell, even 'Nique, Hakeem, Wade and LeBron? Will appreciation fade, just as truth clearly has started to fade as the NBA community begins to embrace the mythic qualities behind the legacies of guys like Jordan?

mttwlsn16
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
ryan gomes > lebron james

timhoth
06-15-2011, 05:48 PM
:horse:

THIS
I dislike Lebron but this is kind of beating a dead horse. I agree with glen rice tho

sep11ie
06-15-2011, 05:51 PM
no

nalej85
06-15-2011, 06:07 PM

To add to that, Kobe and Lebron have lost two Finals series each. Jordan always came out on top come Finals time.

People are quick to say only MJ made his teammates better but Kobe and Lebron both make their teammates better but do it in vastly different ways. Kobe elevates his teammates' desire and passion by demanding greatness and being a leader. Lebron gets his teammates the ball with infrared precision at the right times. Jordan did ALL OF THE ABOVE. Its what defines his greatness, the awards & accolades simply solidify his greatness.

To be honest, Jordan is Jordan and no one will measure up to his accomplishments,EVER!!! Fans and Media need to allow Kobe, Lebron, Wade and others to carve out their own legacies.

On a side note, I hope Kobe utilizes his post game more next season.

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 06:28 PM
To add to that, Kobe and Lebron have lost two Finals series each. Jordan always came out on top come Finals time.

People are quick to say only MJ made his teammates better but Kobe and Lebron both make their teammates better but do it in vastly different ways. Kobe elevates his teammates' desire and passion by demanding greatness and being a leader. Lebron gets his teammates the ball with infrared precision at the right times. Jordan did ALL OF THE ABOVE. Its what defines his greatness, the awards & accolades simply solidify his greatness.

To be honest, Jordan is Jordan and no one will measure up to his accomplishments,EVER!!! Fans and Media need to allow Kobe, Lebron, Wade and others to carve out their own legacies.

I would've liked to see how Jordan fared against a zone defense though. He was able to make his defense better because one on one you couldn't defend him and had to collapse on him and double. Now what if they could play a sliding zone against him like Boston did Kobe? Or switch from Zone to man like they did Lebron? Or just pack the middle, not allowing him to post and forcing the other guys to shoot jumpers all night?

Could you imagine if the Sonics, who had a pretty sick defense at the time, being able to zone MJ up? Might have been a different story.....

nalej85
06-15-2011, 06:34 PM
i would've liked to see how jordan fared against a zone defense though. He was able to make his defense better because one on one you couldn't defend him and had to collapse on him and double. Now what if they could play a sliding zone against him like boston did kobe? Or switch from zone to man like they did lebron? Or just pack the middle, not allowing him to post and forcing the other guys to shoot jumpers all night?

Could you imagine if the sonics, who had a pretty sick defense at the time, being able to zone mj up? Might have been a different story.....

x2!

dodie53
06-15-2011, 06:41 PM
MJ's points would dip but his assists would come up
and
they will still win 'ships

Wilson
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM

I would love to see Kobe playing out of the post, but there just isn't enough room there while we're trying to get Pau and Andrew their touches down low. I think the best thing would be for Kobe to refine his mid-range game and be prepared for when he can't shoot over everyone, and get a more consistent three point shot (his percentages there have bounced around a bit but have been declining for a few years now).

Anyway, back to the topic. I agree with most of your post. Kobe's Finals performances certainly don't stack up to Jordan's. LeBron has a lot of time to improve his numbers there but he needs to put the work in quickly. I think he will improve if he gets back to the Finals, but I doubt he surpasses what Jordan has done there.

As for no-one surpassing Jordan, I think it's only a matter of time until someone does. Throughout NBA history there has always been one guy that people said no-one could match and invariably someone has come along and surpassed those legacies. The athletes will continue to get better, we're not going to run out of all-around talented basketball players and it's only a matter of time until we get one with the seemingly pathological need to win; when we do we'll see someone surpass Jordan. But I don't think it will be Kobe or LeBron.

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 06:56 PM
MJ's points would dip but his assists would come up
and
they will still win 'ships

Assuming his teammates made jumpers all night long with a hand in their face. Boston was able to zone Kobe and still close out on the shooters....

MTar786
06-16-2011, 07:32 PM
lol

rice is right

C-Style
06-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Only section where Kobe cam up short vs the MJ comparison was athleticism and Final performances.