PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think the Media Could Eventually Influence a Westbrook/KD Breakup?

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 07:53 PM
You could see the momentum gaining in the playoffs and it was like they basically wouldn't let it go. Examining every interaction, every grimmace of the face. KD and Wes handled it pretty good but it just seems like one of those stories they are going to milk forever.

I could see a situation where after every bad game Westbrook has next season they're constantly asking KD "do you think he took too many shots?" KD seems pretty smart but all it takes is one quote out of context or one too many reporters playing the "he said this.... whats your response?" game and the situation can get ugly fast. Westbrook seems kind of immature and that thing does wear on you after a while.

May seem like an exaggeration but it has happened in the past, and when you throw the social network/blog/gossip site element in the mix you never really know what could happen.....

marlinsfan24
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I think it is very likely actually. That's why I think the Thunder need to try moving Westbrook now and build around Durant, who is clearly the better player.

m26555
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I think it is very likely actually. That's why I think the Thunder need to try moving Westbrook now and build around Durant, who is clearly the better player.
Only problem with that is that Westbrook's value dropped considerably due to his poor postseason, so I can't see them getting a good enough haul to actually deal him.

marlinsfan24
06-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Only problem with that is that Westbrook's value dropped considerably due to his poor postseason, so I can't see them getting a good enough haul to actually deal him.

Agreed. I think this would be an interesting trade though:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3eqpyz7

LJEATON26
06-14-2011, 08:30 PM

Actually as a Thunder fan I hate that trade. A 23 year old All Nba second team Pg, a 22 year old rising star in Harden, one of the most undervalued players in the nba in collison (and his cap friendly contract) and a good starting center in perkins for Dwight. The Thunder would be better off without him

Would do Dwight and Nelson for Perkins, Westbrook, Robinson (Expiring), Aldriche, Sefolosha and 2 1st round picks. 10x better then the deal the Nuggets got for Carmelo.

12evolution 9
06-14-2011, 08:31 PM
wow you guys are insane...

YOu really think Westbrook Value Dropped??? ARE YOU BLEEPING SERIOUS ..... cmon

Westbrook is the Same age and Durant and and his potential is as high's as Durant...

Westbrook Struggled with play making... Coach didnt help...

This guy was the reason OKC won vs Memphis ... When Durant kept being defended by Battier and Tony Allen....

He has a shot.. He has confidence... His potential is sky high... and he is only 21 or 22 years old...

Do i see Durant and Westbrook splitting... naw, but the Media will make it tough on them both...

jrm2054
06-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Ya i can see that Westbrook has a big head

JPHX
06-14-2011, 09:27 PM
they should swap PG with the suns.

Cal827
06-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Westbrook is the Same age and Durant and and his potential is as high's as Durant...

This guy was the reason OKC won vs Memphis ... When Durant kept being defended by Battier and Tony Allen....

He has a shot.. He has confidence... His potential is sky high... and he is only 21 or 22 years old...

Do i see Durant and Westbrook splitting... naw, but the Media will make it tough on them both...

This is why I would be stunned if they deal him out. He's already a very good player... and he still has a lot of time to grow before his prime years. The only way I see OKC dealing him out is if they are very sure that he wants out after his rookie contract.

Avenged
06-14-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't think it will be the media since Durant and Westbrook are the only ones that really know what is going on. If the media is reporting something false or stretching the truth, I doubt that'll have an affect.

Will they break up? Probably, just by seeing Westbrook's body language out on the court in trying to take over games when it's clearly Durant's team. They are young players, and I expect them to continue to mature together since they have a great team who will be contending for a championship next season.

LakersA's49ers
06-14-2011, 10:49 PM
theyre fun to watch. hopefully they dont split up

assisi805
06-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Zero chance westbrook goes unless its for CP3 around the trade deadline.

twoearl
06-14-2011, 11:15 PM

This. I don't understand why people want to Run Westbrook out of town? The Kid is on track to be a perennial All star. If the Thunder are smart He and KD will be playing together forever. Get over it.

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 01:49 AM
To respond to the actual question. No, I don't think the media will cause them to. I think that eventually it will become evident that these two probably aren't the best fit for each other and one ends up getting traded.

gaughan333
06-15-2011, 01:50 AM

No he doesn't

Tony_Starks
06-15-2011, 02:10 AM
I don't think his value dropped at all, to me he had a nice playoff run all together. Im a big fan of Westbrook. He's still immature but at his age that comes with the territory.

Im just speaking from the perspective of the media loves to instigate and they love conflict. For two young guys that trap could be easy to fall into if you're not savy enough.

I hope it doesn't happen, I think they could eventually get a chip together. Just that the way the media was trying to create a problem in the playoffs was not cool and I can see more of the same happening next year.....

hgtiger32
06-15-2011, 02:13 AM
yes i think the media could tear them apart. personally, i think it be a bad idea for the thunder to trade RW right now. the guy is only 21, 22 and has tons of potential. be patient okc front office

AllBall
06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Do You Think the Media Could Eventually Influence a Westbrook/KD Breakup?

The answer is not really

Fans and the media like to think that they have this god like influence over the NBA, its owners and its players.

The truth is that star players like that do seclude themselves from the real world and shelter themselves.

What you perceive as the inevitable is only coming from the media, which in turn influences the perception amongst social networks.

I don't want to get really into this topic because it is a whole damn branch of Political Science, but thats the jist of it in sports.

LA_Raiders
06-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Yes, Westbrook is so good to be a sidekick, sometimes he is the man of the team...

IMO

Westbrook > KD Why? Because he plays great D & O

CountSackula
06-15-2011, 03:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3zybb99 :laugh2: Do it Mitch!

But seriously, we already saw signs of the media stirring the pot between Westbrook and Durant during this year's postseason. I can see ESPN and other sports media outlets starting a Shaq/Kobe type of rivalry between the two and blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

EaglePride615
06-15-2011, 04:04 AM
KD wont win with westbrook. unless westbrook makes a huge leap over summer in turning into an actual PG

MagicBucsSox
06-15-2011, 05:38 AM

That team offers the best package but take off Perkins n collison, add ibaka and a pick then it's gold
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3fgb827
This is better

MagicBucsSox
06-15-2011, 05:47 AM

That team offers the best package but take off Perkins n collison, add ibaka and a pick then it's gold

Sly Guy
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM

don't worry. There's no way the Thunder are giving up Harden and Westbrook in the same trade. Let alone giving up Serge 'the mutant' Ibaka. Keep dreaming, Dwight's value isn't as high as that, not because he's not a great player, but because he's already said a few things leaning towards him not resigning.

As for the original topic, I can see it happening. I don't like Westbrook now that I've gotten a good glimpse of him this postseason. A little too much AI mentality on a team with talent. I don't expect this relationship to last.

And I do think the media has an impact on performance. Some players respond well to criticism, some fold under the pressure, it's just the way it is.