PDA

View Full Version : Rick Carlisle ranks Dirk Top 11 of all time but..

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6660685

he left off Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan...and Big O and Dr. J never won a Finals MVP FAIL :facepalm:

at best Dirk is top 20 but not top 15

MFFL==FML
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Top 15-20. Who gives a crap if he named Dirk Nowitzki the greatest player the NBA has ever seen? It's a personal opinion (one I disagree with) but who cares? Carlisle has won a championship as a player and a coach... his opinion counts more than yours or mine.

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Top 15-20. Who gives a crap if he named Dirk Nowitzki the greatest player the NBA has ever seen? It's a personal opinion (one I disagree with) but who cares? Carlisle has won a championship as a player and a coach... his opinion counts more than yours or mine.

so his opinion of ranking him ahead of Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem counts? you sir know nothing about basketball

Tanakid777
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
cue the overreactions

Purple&Gold24
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Dirk is almost top 10 in my book.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-14-2011, 04:10 PM
If LeBron can be called better than Michael Jordan then Dirk can certainly be called a top 10 player.

Dirk is closer to top 10 of all time than LeBron better than Jordan, which he will never be close to.

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
If LeBron can be called better than Michael Jordan then Dirk can certainly be called a top 10 player.

Dirk is closer to top 10 of all time than LeBron better than Jordan, which he will never be close to.

Dirk better than MJ, Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Bird, Magic, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Hakeem, Big O?

shep33
06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
I love Dirk, but I can't put a player in the top 10 if they aren't good defensive players... people are overreacting here a lot. He's 20-25 in my opinion, I hate KG but I have to put him ahead of Dirk just on defense alone. KG is quite possibly one of the greatest defensive players in NBA history, this is coming from a Laker fan.

Again Dirk is awesome, one of my faves, but how many all-defensive 1st teams is he on? Or 2nd teams?.

Really how is Dirk better than KG, I want to say he is but I just can't...

Career numbers:

Rebounds: KG-10.7 rpg Dirk-8.4

Assists: KG-4.1 Dirk 2.7

FG%: KG-49.8% Dirk 47.6%

KG also averages more steals and blocks.

Dirk is better in 3 stats... points per game, ft%, and 3p%

People are always amazed by offense alone, which is understandable, its the sexy thing... but KG defensively is in another world compared to Dirk. Like it's not even comparable. KG is probably top 5-10 in best defensive players ever.

Both have 1 ring. I think its pretty easy to say KG is better than Dirk as of legacy right now. I hope Dirk continues to gain on his legacy, cause like I said I'm not a KG fan, but I have to give respect where its due.

Career wise: KG>Dirk

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
I love Dirk, but I can't put a player in the top 10 if they aren't good defensive players... people are overreacting here a lot. He's 20-25 in my opinion, I hate KG but I have to put him ahead of Dirk just on defense alone. KG is quite possibly one of the greatest defensive players in NBA history, this is coming from a Laker fan.

Career numbers:

People are always amazed by offense alone, which is understandable, its the sexy thing... but KG defensively is in another world compared to Dirk. Like it's not even comparable. KG is probably top 5-10 in best defensive players ever.

Both have 1 ring. I think its pretty easy to say KG is better than Dirk as of legacy right now. I hope Dirk continues to gain on his legacy, cause like I said I'm not a KG fan, but I have to give respect where its due.

Finally someone with some sense, too many people high off the Mavs win, once they come back to earth they will see that Dirk isnt even a top 15 overall player of all time

MFFL==FML
06-14-2011, 05:31 PM
so his opinion of ranking him ahead of Shaq, Duncan, and Hakeem counts? you sir know nothing about basketball

Sure it counts... why wouldn't it? Do we disagree with people's opinions, clearly. I have more value in his opinion than yours even though I disagree that Dirk is top 10. I say 15-20 range is about right.

TayPrince
06-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I love Dirk, but he is nowhere near Top 10. Top 20 can be argued. Top 25-30 for sure.

Rick Carlisle is his coach. Clearly his opinion is heavily biased. I think he just wanted to show his appreciation for Dirk's greatness, because Dirk has always been very underrated. People will appreciate Dirk's legacy once his career is over and be like: "Damn. What a player. There really has not been a player like him and there never will be. LEGEND!"

daleja424
06-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Again Dirk is awesome, one of my faves, but how many all-defensive 1st teams is he on? Or 2nd teams?.

Career numbers:

agree completely...

and for 10 years Dirk was a playoffs joke... people called him soft...people said he couldnt get it done in the big moment...

He wins one finals...and suddenly he is top 10 all time...

come on now...

TayPrince
06-14-2011, 05:43 PM
agree completely...

and for 10 years Dirk was a playoffs joke... people called him soft...people said he couldnt get it done in the big moment...

He wins one finals...and suddenly he is top 10 all time...

come on now...

you clearly have no idea of what Dirk has done in the playoffs if you call him a playoffs joke.

He had a bad series against Miami in 06 and Golden State in 07.

He was boss throughout his playoffs career, just couldn't get it done 'cause his teammates sucked *****.

What I find surprising is that Dirk suddenly gets so much credit for his clutch performance. He's always been clutch.

Still not Top 10 though.

Illinirob83
06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Jordan
Magic
Wilt
Russell
Hakeem
Kareem
Shaq
Oscar
Duncan
Bird/Kobe

Gonna be hard jumping into that top 10 at this point, you have to accomplish more than one title and one MVP. Dirk is amazing, but isn't top 10 ever.

blastmasta26
06-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I don't think we should be looking too deeply into this ranking by Carlisle. Obviously Dirk's coach is going to be biased and ranking him at 11 is the highest he can go without being accused of blasphemy.

Dirk is top 20 to top 25, I think top 15 may be a little high.

TayPrince
06-14-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't think we should be looking too deeply into this ranking by Carlisle. Obviously Dirk's coach is going to be biased and ranking him at 11 is the highest he can go without being accused of blasphemy.

Dirk is top 20 to top 25, I think top 15 may be a little high.

this.

Ebbs
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM
People need to actually watch the video instead of spewing crap without seeing the source.

Rick never says Dirk is #11 all time. He says Dirk is one of only 11 players all time to have 10 all star appearances, 1 MVP, and 1 Finals MVP. He says that has to put him amongst the best all time. At no point does he say: Dirk is the 11th greatest player to ever play the game of basketball.

sp1derm00
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
MJ
Magic
Kareem
Bird
Wilt
Russell
Kobe
Shaq
Duncan
Hakeem

There is absolutely no argument right now for Dirk kicking out one of those guys from the Top 10 list. Absolutely zero argument.

I will say one thing though... 10-15 doesn't seem out of the question with the way his career has been. He's lead his team to incredible regular season records and has finally led them to a title.

He came in the era of some of the best players to have stepped on the NBA court: Kobe, Shaq, Duncan. These guys have 4+ rings each and are considered amongst the best winners ever.