PDA

View Full Version : If the Heat had Melo Instead of Lebron

Pages : [1] 2

Gary Reasons
06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Do you think they would beat the Mavericks ?

Hustlenomics
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Melo is way clutcher than LeBron and he wouldnt have a 8 point game, yes their chances would be higher

zn23
06-14-2011, 01:53 PM
lol child please.

LeBron is more superior.

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
He would be clutch.........

And maybe they would of won but nobody really knows because LeBron has better defense than Melo. So it's hard to say.

Chacarron
Lebron's defense would certainly be missed.

SteBO
Hell no!

Giraffes Rule
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
No. The Heat got to the finals with defense, and there's no way you could argue that Melo would do what Lebron does defensively.

Hawkeye15
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Absolutely not.

Gary Reasons
06-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Melo would be able to create his own shot, he wouldn't be passing the ball to Juwan Howard with the game on the line .. no offense to Juwan Howard ... but Melo does lack defense .

jp611
They wouldnt have made it out of the 2nd round

mttwlsn16
Melo is way clutcher than LeBron and he wouldnt have a 8 point game, yes their chances would be higher

this

justinnum1
06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
melo doesn't play defense, so no

greg_ory_2005
06-14-2011, 02:03 PM
If they had Melo, they woulda been swept.

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I think some of you are bashing Melo's defense too much. If any of you saw him play with the Knicks he was basically the only guy who was playing average defense for us. With effort he can be a good defensive player.

Sadds The Gr8
lol child please.

LeBron is more superior.

this

AntiG
if they had Melo, the Celtics would have been in the finals.

BALLER R
06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
dirk isn't the greatest defender either but their team defense covers his flaws. and i do think wade and melo are a better duo, wade and handles and melo plays off the ball. not to mention melo has an inside outside game so that benefits them even more.

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 02:06 PM
No..

Gary Reasons
06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
it's amazing how many people consider lebron so great still, after he fell on his face in the finals.

Sadds The Gr8
06-14-2011, 02:09 PM
i don't consider him so great, but he's better than Melo

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
if they had Melo, the Celtics would have been in the finals.

What? He almost beat you guys in the first two game by himself. Imagine having Wade and Bosh to help him out. Not a injured Billups and Amare.

Hustlenomics
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
what was so great about Lebron's defense? he was getting torched by jason terry

SteBO
06-14-2011, 02:13 PM
what was so great about Lebron's defense? he was getting torched by jason terry
One series doesn't eliminate the fact that LeBron is great defender.

beasted86
I think some of you are bashing Melo's defense too much. If any of you saw him play with the Knicks he was basically the only guy who was playing average defense for us. With effort he can be a good defensive player.

Carmelo's on ball defense isn't the worst, but he's very below average on rotating to the next man and pick & roll defense. That's all the Heat is about. Covering each other, rotating and contesting, and solid fundamentals in man-to-man knowing which direction to force the opponent into help.

As an annalogy, if Carmelo's offense is a 10, and LeBron an 8 or 9... LeBron's defense is a 10, and Carmelo's a 5 at best. It would be entertaining (see funny) putting Carmelo to defend Derrick Rose as our go to stopper on the perimeter.

Slimsim
dirk isn't the greatest defender either but their team defense covers his flaws. and i do think wade and melo are a better duo, wade and handles and melo plays off the ball. not to mention melo has an inside outside game so that benefits them even more.

I wish their was more posters like you. 1 person say no defense then 10 others just reply the same.

Yanks All Day
06-14-2011, 02:15 PM
The Heat don't make it past Boston without LeBron. He guarded Pierce and Rondo mainly in that series, and then Rose and Deng in the Chicago series. Melo cannot do that, so now you're asking either Bibby or Chalmers to guard Rondo or Rose? Or Haslem/Miller to guard Pierce or Deng? Good luck. Don't care how versatile Melo is on offense, LeBron might be the most versatile defender in the NBA, which is more important to a team like Miami with 3 players capable of 30 points at any time and another one (Miller) capable of 20+. Defense wins championships.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
cmon guys, lebron is the best player in NBA while Melo is somewhere around 12-15th

Slimsim
Carmelo's on ball defense isn't the worst, but he's very below average on rotating to the next man and pick & roll defense. That's all the Heat is about. Covering each other, rotating and contesting, and solid fundamentals in man-to-man knowing which direction to force the opponent into help.

As an annalogy, if Carmelo's offense is a 10, and LeBron an 8 or 9... LeBron's defense is a 10, and Carmelo's a 5 at best. It would be entertaining (see funny) putting Carmelo to defend Derrick Rose as our go to stopper on the perimeter.

you can make a case to say LBJ offense was a 5 and while his defense is good terry/marion was still lighting it up when it matter most

Il Mago50
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Wouldn't have gotten into the Finals lmao...do you really think their defense would be as good with Melo in it???

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:17 PM

As an annalogy, if Carmelo's offense is a 10, and LeBron an 8 or 9... LeBron's defense is a 10, and Carmelo's a 5 at best.

Yeah I see that but LeBron benefited from having Mike Brown a Defense mastermind to help him out while growing in the league. I think if the Knicks hire a defensive coach to help Melo he can become not as good as LeBron but good enough to contend.

Sometimes you can be a good defender but if the team does not buy into the program the defense looks bad. That was the problem with the Knicks they didn't buy into the defensive look. Miami did and the team played team defense not single defense.

haggis
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Right, but lebron is the lynchpin of the Heat's defense. The Mavericks have a team defensive scheme built around Dirk to hide his flaws. Lebron and Wade are the key to the Heat's Defense. The Miami system is all predicated on wing speed and help side defense, so to replace a top tier defender with a below average defender makes the whole system crumble.

Even with all his miscues in the finals. Lebron still ***** on Carmelo on that side of the court.

Tarheels23
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Maybe they would have beat the Mavs.... but would they have beat the Celtics and Bulls too?

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 02:20 PM
cmon guys, lebron is the best player in NBA while Melo is somewhere around 12-15th

/thread

SteBO
you can make a case to say LBJ offense was a 5 and while his defense is good terry/marion was still lighting it up when it matter most
beasted is speaking on a career wise scale, not just one series. Don't let one series fool you. You know LeBron is a way better player than he showed in the Finals. LeBron doesn't have Carmelo's mid-range game, but he has more creativity with the ball and is a better defender than 'Melo by a wide margin. Carmelo can defend, but he isn't comitted to it like LeBron is.

Miami with Carmelo Anthony is not beating the Boston Celtics in the second round.

knickfan33
i think the heat need one of those guys...wade/lebron to be a better shooter...so he can play off the other one... so yes

Sandman
Melo wouldn't have had an 8 point game.

LeBron is a lot better than Melo on defense, but his assignment was basically Jason Terry for this whole series. Not a knock on Terry, but he just gets outdone in the size/age department by both LeBron and Melo.

IDK, maybe they beat the Mavericks with Melo instead of LeBron, but I don't know if they get there in the first place.

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
beasted is speaking on a career wise scale, not just one series. Don't let one series fool you. You know LeBron is a way better player than he showed in the Finals. LeBron doesn't have Carmelo's mid-range game, but he has more creativity with the ball and is a better defender than 'Melo by a wide margin. Carmelo can defend, but he isn't comitted to it like LeBron is.

Miami with Carmelo Anthony is not beating the Boston Celtics in the second round.

its not one series... its a career of disapearing in big moments.

knicks_champ
Wouldn't have gotten into the Finals lmao...do you really think their defense would be as good with Melo in it???

One guy who plays the 3 spot doesn't make or break a defense. The Heat plays team defense. Melo would of improved under a coaching staff who preach defense.

BALLER R
Hold on let me just see if im understanding this right, because of lebron the heat defense is as great as it is, and if they had melo they would be **** on defense? am i missing something

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 02:22 PM

He's better

BallIsAll
in this series they would have had a better chance.. marion would have had like 20 but melo 30

-Kobe24-TJ19-
Melo would be able to create his own shot, he wouldn't be passing the ball to Juwan Howard with the game on the line .. no offense to Juwan Howard ... but Melo does lack defense .

and lebron can't???:laugh2:

Da Knicks
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Heat would of being the champions, Melo actually plays pretty decent defense when he wants to.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
What? He almost beat you guys in the first two game by himself. Imagine having Wade and Bosh to help him out. Not a injured Billups and Amare.

4-0 lol

SteBO
06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
its not one series... its a career of disapearing in big moments.

You're straying way off-topic bud. This doesn't prove anything. LeBron is still way superior on the defensive end than 'Melo, and we do not even go to the ECF. It's the truth, so whether you believe it or not is up to you.

nycsports2
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
i understand that melo doesnt play d all yr but did you guys see how melo has locked down in the playoffs the last 2 times??

knicks_champ
4-0 lol

Team ball. He didn't have a team around him. C'mon really Melo without a health Amare and Billups vs that Celtics team.......

We lost fair, I'm not making excuse just some misfortune things happened.

FriedTofuz
Lebron is clearly the better player. Melo cant rebound and make plays or play defense as well as lebron. lebron is clearly better.

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Melo is a ball hog and his team couldnt even get past the first round. Lebron took his team to the nba finals with no help a few years ago :laugh2:

BALLER R
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
4-0 lol

if you watched the games it was a lot closer than that

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Lebron is clearly the better player. Melo cant rebound and make plays or play defense as well as lebron. lebron is clearly better.

WHAT? :confused: :facepalm:

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Melo is a ball hog and his team couldnt even get past the first round. Lebron took his team to the nba finals with no help a few years ago :laugh2:

Do you know he had a injured Amare and Billups right?

LeBron took his team to the Finals in a weaker East conference.

BALLER R
06-14-2011, 02:30 PM

you need to watch him play more

PhillyFaninLA
06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
They would not have gotten by the Sixers.

RCarlson85
06-14-2011, 02:32 PM
It's impossible to say what the outcome would have been with Melo instead of Lebron. While Melo might be more clutch and possible a better pure scorer, Lebron has a more well rounded game. His defense and playmaking ability would certainly be missed if he were not on the Heat. Melo can't replace what he do on defense or in terms of play-making abiltiy. It's tough to predict.

synister281
LeBron is a GREAT regular season player.

LeBron in the Postseason is another story. He's a primetime choker.

Da Knicks
He's better

lmao ok:facepalm:

Cal827
06-14-2011, 02:33 PM
One guy who plays the 3 spot doesn't make or break a defense. The Heat plays team defense. Melo would of improved under a coaching staff who preach defense.

Bosh (before leaving for Miami) wasn't exactly known as a defensive player. Without Lebron, the team defense would be weaker, and Bosh's problems on the back end would have been exposed more frequently (e.g. Millsap getting 46 against him). I will say that Bosh improved on D from his days in Toronto though. But having your 3 and 4 positions unable to play good defense would hurt the idea of team defense (especially since most Pgs struggle on the defensive end, and centers tend to get into foul trouble).

Carmelo is slightly overrated. I doubt this team gets by Boston or Philly with Melo on the team instead of Lebron. Even if they somehow did, the Bulls would have killed them. We all saw how Lebron shut down Rose.

PhillyFaninLA
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
i understand that melo doesnt play d all yr but did you guys see how melo has locked down in the playoffs the last 2 times??

Maybe 2 plays but not too much more then that. He is not a defender. Sure he can hit a clutch shot but there is more to being clutch. I have a hard time calling a good a good defender when they don't ever defend anyone well or clutch when they let 4 seconds tick off a clock in a crucial late game situation in the playoffs where a foul was needed.

Missing56&33
06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I would have to say yes....because Melo wouldn't have frozen up like a cube of ice. If Melo struggled in scoring he would have played much harder on defense and he wouldn't stop shooting like Lebron did. Melo can get to the foul line if anything and shoot a high percentage. Got to remember Lebron can't shoot FT for **** , this is why he only got to the line 3x's per game.

My question is how the hell are you going to guarantee 7 championships and he can't even shoot FT's or 3pter's? .........Lebron needs to work on his game big time.

Its one thing to miss shots but its another story to be scared to shoot. :pity:

PhillyFaninLA
06-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Someone didn't watch Lebron against the Bulls or Celtics this year in the 4th quarter of the playoff games. They don't beat the Celtics without Lebron in the 4th quarter.

edit: Or Lebron with the Cavs in the playoffs. Especially against the Pistons.

JordansBulls
06-14-2011, 02:36 PM

They beat the Mavs, but they don't beat Boston or Chicago to get to the MAvs.

llemon
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM

Lebron played pretty well vs. Sixers, Celts and Bulls in this postseason.

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Bosh (before leaving for Miami) wasn't exactly known as a defensive player. Without Lebron, the team defense would be weaker, and Bosh's problems on the back end would have been exposed more frequently (e.g. Millsap getting 46 against him). I will say that Bosh improved on D from his days in Toronto though. But having your 3 and 4 positions unable to play good defense would hurt the idea of team defense (especially since most Pgs struggle on the defensive end, and centers tend to get into foul trouble).

Carmelo is slightly overrated. I doubt this team gets by Boston or Philly with Melo on the team instead of Lebron. Even if they somehow did, the Bulls would have killed them. We all saw how Lebron shut down Rose.

It's always about the defense behind you. Whenever LeBron guarded someone and they got passed him the defense behind him was there to not allow the player to go in. LeBron has great defense but the team is was makes him shine because they protect his back side.

haggis
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
It's always about the defense behind you. Whenever LeBron guarded someone and they got passed him the defense behind him was there to not allow the player to go in. LeBron has great defense but the team is was makes him shine because they protect his back side.

WHO??

Who are these all-world defenders that Lebron has behind him?

PhillyFaninLA
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Clearly you didn't watch Lebron covering Rose against the Bulls in the playoffs.

I'm not a Lebron apologist or a Heat fan but I watch games and am willing to admit what I'm watching.

PLAYERS FAN
06-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Melo is label by some the best scorer in the NBA. So, Yes they chances are better with Melo than Lebron!

Note:Melo has a post game

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
WHO??

Who are these all-world defenders that Lebron has behind him?

Joel Anthony is known only for defense and Bosh is quick enough to transition from player to player. Help defense is what makes or breaks a defense, Miami have great players who know how to rotate on the defensive side.

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Clearly you didn't watch Lebron covering Rose against the Bulls in the playoffs.

I'm not a Lebron apologist or a Heat fan but I watch games and am willing to admit what I'm watching.

What did I say that was bad about Lebron huh? I never said he sucks or his defense sucks. All I'm saying is that team defense play a big factor on how one plays defense.

TheRunKiller
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
lol child please.

LeBron is more superior.

I couldn't tell by watching the finals

Da Knicks
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Melo is label by some the best scorer in the NBA. So, Yes they chances are better with Melo than Lebron!

What many people tend to forget, if Wade or Lbj had a post up game they would of beat the mavs. Going forward if either one of them cant develop a post up game i dont think we will see more than 1 championship when the natural abilities fade. strenghth, speed are not going to be there forever...

PhillyFaninLA
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
What did I say that was bad about Lebron huh? I never said he sucks or his defense sucks. All I'm saying is that team defense play a big factor on how one plays defense.

Ya know what after I read this I reread what you wrote....my bad, I misread it the first time.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Its conceivable because hes such a streaky player and would fit alongside Wade better but he couldnt log the heavy minutes Bron has just to get them in the Finals, isnt as consistent of a player against elite defenses so he would have sucked in one of the series before the Finals. Personally I think Bron had dead legs by the Finals so an inferior athlete like Melo wouldnt have held up any better.

knicks_champ
Ya know what after I read this I reread what you wrote....my bad, I misread it the first time.

Lol It's cool.

drobe86
Melo plays 0 defense... So hell no

Mane
Absolutely not.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 02:47 PM

If you saw him in Denver I wonder if you would be saying the same thing? His D looked worse to me

PrettyBoyJ
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
One thing about Melo he's not passive and can play without the ball.. Wade is a perfect set up man and would be able to get the ball to Melo and Bosh down low.. Melo's versatility would also help in a lot situations..

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 02:49 PM

:facepalm:

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
If you saw him in Denver I wonder if you would be saying the same thing? His D looked worse to me

Well I saw what he did recently which is what matters. What he did in Denver doesn't matter now.

Jarvo
06-14-2011, 02:52 PM
HELL NO! lmaooo, Im a melo fan but come on son!

rapjuicer06
06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Wade/Melo/Bosh is a better group that can play together than Wade/Lebron/Bosh, because Melo is a shooter, Lebron is not. Melo doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective, Lebron does.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Well I saw what he did recently which is what matters. What he did in Denver doesn't matter now.

You dont think it matters to have a basis for comparison? The Melo I saw in Denver played better D, especially 2 seasons ago, and THAT Melo was getting alot of heat for his lack of defensive value. So TO ME, this Melo is worse defensively.

I dont like the fact that hes never been a part of a team that did better defensively with him than without.

VillaMaravilla
06-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Melos defense is way underated, give me Melo all day before Lebron and yes i KNOW Lebron is the all around better player but what good is he if he chokes when his team needs him most.....give me the guy with heart and ice water running in his veins

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Melo wouldn't have made a difference. Dallas bench is still better, Melo doesn't solve that...

As far as Melo being more clutch did you see game 2 against the Celtics? Nuff said.

Law25
06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I would have to say yes....because Melo wouldn't have frozen up like a cube of ice. If Melo struggled in scoring he would have played much harder on defense and he wouldn't stop shooting like Lebron did. Melo can get to the foul line if anything and shoot a high percentage. Got to remember Lebron can't shoot FT for **** , this is why he only got to the line 3x's per game.

My question is how the hell are you going to guarantee 7 championships and he can't even shoot FT's or 3pter's? .........Lebron needs to work on his game big time.

Its one thing to miss shots but its another story to be scared to shoot. :pity:

Hey your on to something it explains his lack of agression. Knowing he's an average free throw shooter when ther's no pressure would make him less likely to attack the rim in the finals for fear of being fouled, and considered an choker at the line. If true, i bet he wishes he could take that back because now he's seen as someone who shrinks under pressure.

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM
You dont think it matters to have a basis for comparison? The Melo I saw in Denver played better D, especially 2 seasons ago, and THAT Melo was getting alot of heat for his lack of defensive value. So TO ME, this Melo is worse defensively.

I dont like the fact that hes never been a part of a team that did better defensively with him than without.

I think he looks better now then when he started. Many analyst were giving him props saying that he looked better and the effort was there in the playoffs and season when he came over. If you give him a better big man with defense and wing player with quickness who can provide help defense I bet you he can become a way better defense. It's all about team defense for a player to be at it's best.

justOmazing
06-14-2011, 03:04 PM

...they would lose their defensive edge and get knocked out in the first round.

PLAYERS FAN
06-14-2011, 03:06 PM

Lol at Pau>Dirk, and willing to trade Kobe for Lebron:facepalm:
Remember this "Kobe:hide:"

Jarvo
06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Melos defense is way underated, give me Melo all day before Lebron and yes i KNOW Lebron is the all around better player but what good is he if he chokes when his team needs him most.....give me the guy with heart and ice water running in his veins

I know your a knick fan so you are going to say you rather have melo than lebron, But was you saying this last summer?

Slimsim
06-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I guess Miami wins it all with Durant ?

meloman1592
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Lebrons better but when it comes to stepping up when it matters. I'll take melo 10 out of 10 times vs lbj

knicks_champ
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
I guess Miami wins it all with Durant ?

LMAO! Now that was a random response.

MELO7NYK/DENfan
06-14-2011, 03:13 PM

that team was well built the others, it had all the pieces but not that other star player but it was good enough for any superstar to take deep in the playoffs.
melo would of made it out of the first round with those teams

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Lol at Pau>Dirk, and willing to trade Kobe for Lebron:facepalm:
Remember this "Kobe:hide:"

You wouldn't trade Kobe for lebron??

I would ship kobe out for lebron if I would be Lakers GM.

But kobe has a no trade clause.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Lebron 20 pts 10 assist= 40 + points

Carmello 35 pts 3 assist= 40 + points

same thing. Actually it'd be worse with Melo because his volume shooting would take away shots from D Wade....

pd1dish
06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
the Heat wouldnt have made it to the Finals with Melo. Lebron was huge defensively. yes, he struggled offensively in the Finals especially late in the games, but he was a huge reason for them getting past the Bulls and like i said, his defense makes a huge difference and stats dont show that.

Hustlenomics
06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Melo wouldn't have made a difference. Dallas bench is still better, Melo doesn't solve that...

As far as Melo being more clutch did you see game 2 against the Celtics? Nuff said.

the game he dropped 42 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists ?

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-14-2011, 03:29 PM

Outside of his at times brilliant passing he's far from creative on the offensive end. In actuality he's pretty elementary if it wasn't for his superior athleticism. I don't think u could just plug Melo in and they would beat the Mavs. But those scoring droughts and plus minus with Lebron on the floor cannot be ignored as a bad series. Lebron gets flustered by any zone that is consistently successful in keeping him out the paint. No way the Mavs play that matchup zone against Wade,Melo, and bosh.. And unlike Bron, Melo can score in the post. With that said Lebrons defense would be missed but ur scoring output would be a lot better. Tough call IMO even tho clearly Lebron is the better overall player. But Melo is the best offensive 3 in the league.. And that's Durant included.. HE CAN score inside and outside unlike the other 2. That should not be ignored.

flclfanman
06-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Ha Ha Ha

Hell no

ppl may Hate Lebron's hideous ego, but you MUST respect the man's skillset. The better player hands down.

Besides if Melo was out their Marion would have been putting up 05-06 PHX numbers :laugh2:

flclfanman
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
the game he dropped 42 points, 17 rebounds, 6 assists ?

In a loss, so Kanye Shrug :shrug:

PC
06-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Were you referring to a different game...? Because that's the game where Melo dropped 42/17/6 and nearly beat the Celtics sans Amare and Billups. Pointing out that game would be completely counterproductive to your argument

SteBO
06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Outside of his at times brilliant passing he's far from creative on the offensive end. In actuality he's pretty elementary if it wasn't for his superior athleticism. I don't think u could just plug Melo in and they would beat the Mavs. But those scoring droughts and plus minus with Lebron on the floor cannot be ignored as a bad series. Lebron gets flustered by any zone that is consistently successful in keeping him out the paint. No way the Mavs play that matchup zone against Wade,Melo, and bosh.. And unlike Bron, Melo can score in the post. With that said Lebrons defense would be missed but ur scoring output would be a lot better. Tough call IMO even tho clearly Lebron is the better overall player. But Melo is the best offensive 3 in the league.. And that's Durant included.. HE CAN score inside and outside unlike the other 2. That should not be ignored.
Wow, a good post. And very accurate points to say the least. My things is though, no way we beat the Celtics and Bulls with 'Melo though.

The +/- with LeBron for sure can't be ignored. Game 6 pretty much summed that up perfectly. Miami made their runs with LeBron off the floor, and just Wade and Bosh. And I also agree that 'Melo would've had a much easier time scoring against Dallas than LeBron would have. I've said it before, if LeBron develops a post game and becomes less reliable on athleticism, he'd be an unstoppable force even against a zone, something 'Melo has had for a few years. Still, without LeBron and his defense, we don't even get past the second round. It's a knock on Carmelo, but that's how impactful LeBron really is.

blahblahyoutoo
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
The Heat don't make it past Boston without LeBron. He guarded Pierce and Rondo mainly in that series, and then Rose and Deng in the Chicago series. Melo cannot do that, so now you're asking either Bibby or Chalmers to guard Rondo or Rose? Or Haslem/Miller to guard Pierce or Deng? Good luck. Don't care how versatile Melo is on offense, LeBron might be the most versatile defender in the NBA, which is more important to a team like Miami with 3 players capable of 30 points at any time and another one (Miller) capable of 20+. Defense wins championships.

this.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM

He had less to work wit than Derrick Rose that game.. You Bulls fans should know best that 1 man can't beat a great defense most times. He had no Amare or Billups..

blahblahyoutoo
06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
why is this even being discussed?
melo to MIA was never in consideration by either party.

blahblahyoutoo
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Wade/Melo/Bosh is a better group that can play together than Wade/Lebron/Bosh, because Melo is a shooter, Lebron is not. Melo doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective, Lebron does.

melo is known as the ball stopper for a reason.
:confused:

PC
06-14-2011, 03:49 PM

So he's not clutch because 2 of our top 3 players were hurt and Jared Jeffries passed up on a wide open shot which led to a turnover?

We were down double digits in the 3rd quarter yet Melo brought us back and single handedly kept us in the game. Trying to make the argument that Melo isn't clutch because of that particular game makes absolutely no sense to me.

For the record, Melo has the most game winning shots since entering the league. Kanye shrug:shrug:

PC
06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
For the record, I don't think the Heat would have won with Melo instead of LeBron

Frantico
06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Same exact result.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I think he looks better now then when he started. Many analyst were giving him props saying that he looked better and the effort was there in the playoffs and season when he came over. If you give him a better big man with defense and wing player with quickness who can provide help defense I bet you he can become a way better defense. It's all about team defense for a player to be at it's best.

Started where? You mean in the NBA or in NY? Either way it should be expected.

Im sure Melo can be a part of a decent defensive team but he will never anchor one with his versatility or carry one with his instincts. Its not ALL about team defense, the individual strengths and limitations help determine that defensive system. For Melo I think he needs the absolute PERFECT surroundings to have a strong defensive influence in the game, such is the case with inferior defenders.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Wow, a good post. And very accurate points to say the least. My things is though, no way we beat the Celtics and Bulls with 'Melo though.

The +/- with LeBron for sure can't be ignored. Game 6 pretty much summed that up perfectly. Miami made their runs with LeBron off the floor, and just Wade and Bosh. And I also agree that 'Melo would've had a much easier time scoring against Dallas than LeBron would have. I've said it before, if LeBron develops a post game and becomes less reliable on athleticism, he'd be an unstoppable force even against a zone, something 'Melo has had for a few years. Still, without LeBron and his defense, we don't even get past the second round. It's a knock on Carmelo, but that's how impactful LeBron really is.

That's debatable as well IMO.. If this was the Boston of last year I'd prob agree. Even tho the knicks got swept Carmelo and a Gimpy Amare gave Boston problems. We don't have any defense and our scoring output wasn't maximized and we still threatened them if you guys watched the games. We actually according to the NBA should've won game one due to the missed call on Garnett.. So to say u guys with Melo , Wade , & Bosh couldn't beat the Celts may be a stretch.. Last year their defense and rebounding scared every1. This year not so much. And that's with a Rondo with 2 good arms.

Tuck&Rolle
06-14-2011, 04:08 PM
This is a stupid argument because who knows?

IDK how any can say Lebron is superior to MeloThats idiotic... Is Lebron better and more talented? Yes but not by much and the only area where Lebron is clearly better then Melo is defense. Melo is a better pure scorer, Push on the passing game and Melo is better at rebounding.

Melo is obviously a lot more clutch then Lebron, he's probably the most clutch player in the game considering he has the most game winning shots behind Kobe by a few but Kobe has been in the league a lot longer.

PlezPlayDKnicks
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Started where? You mean in the NBA or in NY? Either way it should be expected.

Im sure Melo can be a part of a decent defensive team but he will never anchor one with his versatility or carry one with his instincts. Its not ALL about team defense, the individual strengths and limitations help determine that defensive system. For Melo I think he needs the absolute PERFECT surroundings to have a strong defensive influence in the game, such is the case with inferior defenders.

A system was created for Dirk to succeed. I think the same can happen for Melo as well. Dirk isn't a great defender but works well in a team concept. I can name quite a few stars that this applies to. DRose included.. No knock on either players but they would be considered as average defenders at best. Rose can improve but Dirk is what he is. It can work IMO

Purple&Gold24
06-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Not sure. :shrug:

CowboysKB24
06-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Who knows. Their chemistry may have been better. Heat's problems are with chemistry, not talent.

Melo, Wade, and Bosh is enough talent to win and beat the Mavericks. I think it would have been similar because Melo likes to have the ball a lot just like LBJ and Wade. That was the Heat's main problem. Who is going to take over in the final minutes? Wade and LBJ looked passive and not confident in game 6, especially in the fourth. So probably not.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Lol

carmelo anthony?

Carmelo anthony?????????????

Crackadalic
06-14-2011, 04:19 PM
:pity: as soon as i seen the thread title. No they wouldnt be better if melo replace lebron but lets not act like they would be garbage if melo was on that team.

Melo rebounds just as well as lebron so idk why people are saying he can't rebound. Melo defense isnt as good as lebron but neither was bosh but look how much better its gotten in miami from toronto. I don't remember Dirk being all nba defense team yet he got a ring. Melo would have at least been motivated and played better defense but not as good as lebron

Melo is not the gifted passer as lebron but he is a underrated passer. Look pass assist numbers he had and actually watch the game. He would have posted it up more which is he's bread and butter. Something lebron failed to do throughout the postseason especially in the finals

Melo is like D-wade that there more of the aggressive types where lebron is always looking pass which at times hurt the team when they needed him to be aggressive

So to answer the op question. No they would not be better with melo but if they did go to the finals with melo thats just another scoring threat dallas has to worry about. If i remember melo had one of his best games against dallas in the 09 that postseason

beasted86
06-14-2011, 04:19 PM

His offense was bad for one series. Carmelo's defense has been in the negative digits at times if we are going to base things off one series.

AntiG
06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

and then we decided to play hard and whipped you guys badly. :rolleyes:

All of our losses versus Miami were very close until LEBRON went off on us with 5 minutes left. Combine Melo's poor defense and lesser passing ability versus LeBron's elite defense and passing ability and that's basically a 10 point swing.

gaughan333
06-14-2011, 04:29 PM

This is not saying much on that Knicks team. Also, the biggest issue is the effort. He cares way more about his offensive stats and it shows.

TylerSL
06-14-2011, 04:51 PM
hell no. Lebron plays defense

beasted86
06-14-2011, 05:01 PM
i think the heat need one of those guys...wade/lebron to be a better shooter...so he can play off the other one... so yes

Except Carmelo only shoots 32.0% from 3 for his career. He's no better than LeBron (32.9%).

NYtilIdie
06-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Hell no!

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Were you referring to a different game...? Because that's the game where Melo dropped 42/17/6 and nearly beat the Celtics sans Amare and Billups. Pointing out that game would be completely counterproductive to your argument

Did you happen to see the last few possessions of the game? Offensive foul, followed by horrible shot taken too quickly?

edit*

Im trippin, that was game 1. My bad.

D-Leethal
06-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Did you happen to see the last few possessions of the game? Offensive foul, followed by horrible shot taken too quickly?

your mixing up game 1 and game 2. Game 1 was when he missed the long 3 after the offensive foul/Allens 3/KGs illegal screen), game 2 is when JJ pulled Charles Smith under the basket after Melo single handedly had us in a position to win without Chauncey or Amare

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Except Carmelo only shoots 32.0% from 3 for his career. He's no better than LeBron (32.9%).

that doesnt mean anything, melo is a better shooter.. anyone who has seen the two play knows that...

KnicksR4Real
06-14-2011, 05:34 PM
maybe.

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
that doesnt mean anything, melo is a better shooter.. anyone who has seen the two play knows that...

False.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 05:39 PM
hell no. Lebron plays defense

But he doesn't play the 4th quarter,,,Melo does. But they be better off with LeBron!

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM

edit*

Im trippin, that was game 1. My bad.

:facepalm: wow 2 possessions so whats your point?

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
False.

Melo is a way better shooter then LeBron...

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
i've been saying it since they came together, the combo or wade and lebron is not an ideal combo....

both need the ball in there hands to create, neither one is very good at playing off the ball, or being a spot up shooter.... thats why riley put guys like chalmers,miller,house,jones around them.

lebron is a better shooter then wade, but if you make lebron be the offball guy, you take his passing game away, and that's just a waste.... i ohnstly think this team would be better if wade was someone like ray allen, eric gordon ect....(and please don't start quoting this like im saying these guys are better then wade, there not, just a bitter fit in a team aspect)

but then again wade is the heart of that team, and he at least showed up in big moments.

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
False.

do you watch basketball?

Tuck&Rolle
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
False.

Your lack of knowledge of the game is horrible if you don't realize Melo is a much better shooter then Lebron. Very few players in the NBA have the touch he does with the size and speed to go along with it.

Tuck&Rolle
06-14-2011, 05:49 PM
And to those who say Melo doesn't play defense are WRONG. Maybe he didn't in Denver but he made some fantastic defensive plays with the Knicks in a short time. Melo is a guy that rises to the moment, in case you havn't noticed Lebron doesn't.

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 05:50 PM

and by the way... melo was not taking many threes until he came to the NYKs... he has about 1000 less threes then lebron...

now that hes been taking them regularly for the knicks...he shot 42% from 3.

javsvt
06-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Melo would want the ball in the 4th, not run away from it. And he would be posting people up, not shooting from 3 trying to get himself going. Melo is actually a pretty good defender when he wants to be, and a good rebounder. If Lecon had a post up game like Melo, they wouldve won that series against Dallas...

NYMetropolitans
06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
lol all these comments are hilarious. All I gotta say is watch next season I can't wait. NYK.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 05:55 PM
:facepalm: wow 2 possessions so whats your point?

Thanks for the facepalm. My point is those 2 possessions happened to be in what some people like to call "the clutch." That was in response to those who said he was more clutch than Lebron.

Don't be defensive man, you made the playoffs!! It should still be raining confetti for you right now!!

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 05:55 PM
Lets put it like this...Melo is the better offensive player then LeBron...Idc what anybody says. Better shooter, certainly better post up game (I don't even think LeBron has one) Offensively he's better then LeBron

LeBron is the better overall player and is better then Melo. LeBron's ability alone is better then Melo.

The Heat are better off with LeBron because they really don't need a ball stopper. Plus they have 2 other scorers.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the facepalm. My point is those 2 possessions happened to be in what some people like to call "the clutch." That was in response to those who said he was more clutch than Lebron.

Don't be defensive man, you made the playoffs!! It should still be raining confetti for you right now!!

Like PC said watch the game again. The last 2 possessions he got TRIPLE TEAMED. There was no way he was gonna take the last shot. Thats how much respect Melo gets when the game is on the line. Melo nearly beat the 2nd best defense in the NBA single handed. Plus he played 30 minutes straight with no rest and no help, ask any NBA player thats tiring and he still drop 42 points.

Point is unlike Lebron, he didn't run away from the ball. He's a better clutch player then LeBron its not even close. Lebron is the better player and will always be the better player, but just like this series tought everybody being the better players doesn't always wins games!

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Lets put it like this...Melo is the better offensive player then LeBron...Idc what anybody says. Better shooter, certainly better post up game (I don't even think LeBron has one) Offensively he's better then LeBron

LeBron is the better overall player and is better then Melo. LeBron's ability alone is better then Melo.

The Heat are better off with LeBron because they really don't need a ball stopper. Plus they have 2 other scorers.

You say Melo is the better offensive player why? LBJ's post game is pretty damn good(that's when he uses it)

Can you elaborate on that please.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Your lack of knowledge of the game is horrible if you don't realize Melo is a much better shooter then Lebron. Very few players in the NBA have the touch he does with the size and speed to go along with it.

Melo has the "sexier shot" , while Lebron is the better shooter(I think,I could be wrong).

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 06:02 PM

i dont know if i would go that far.... he is better shooter/post player, he is definetly beter in the clutch...

i dont think that maes him bette offensive player though...lebron knows how to score with his abilities, and his ability to run point is a pretty big offensive trait.

javsvt
06-14-2011, 06:03 PM
You say Melo is the better offensive player why? LBJ's post game is pretty damn good(that's when he uses it)

Melo has a better post and a better midrange game, on top of that, Melo has Lebrons number in head to head competition.

knickfan33
Melo has the "sexier shot" , while Lebron is the better shooter(I think,I could be wrong).

yeah your wrong...lol

GiantsSwaGG

Exactly he doesn't use it, And I wouldn't say pretty damn good...Melo's is better!

You and alot people might think im crazy, LeBron James can be shutdown (maybe not completely but good enough)...The zone basically proved it. Make James a jump shooter and 7 times out of 10 he'll have an off night. Thats why Melo's the better Offensive player...There's really no defense that can shut him down. You wanna make him into a shooter, go head he's got one of the best mid range jumpers in the game, plus like I said he's a better post player and offensive rebound's he's just as good as Lebron!

BSplaya2121
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
for those of you people who answer with things like "oh they wouldnt have made it past the 2nd round", or "they would have gotten swept by the Bulls" or whatever, that very well may be so. But next time when you reply to a post, make sure its to the original question which is "with Carmelo instead of LeBron, do the Heat beat the MAVERICKS. In that case, maybe, they wouldn't have had the 4th quarter offensive deficiencies, and to be honest, the Heat defense was kind of irrelevant in the final 2 games, so why not try to out score a team that can put up a ton of points.

Tuck&Rolle
06-14-2011, 06:06 PM

Wow dude you really need to watch those possession's again cause your dead wrong and your argument is absolutely ********. Melo was being tripled covered and created wide open shots for his teamates.. problem is the rest of the team blew *** specially with Amare and Billups out. Thats what needs to be fixed this off season is rebuilding the supporting cast. Then the Knicks will be a legit contender.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
A system was created for Dirk to succeed. I think the same can happen for Melo as well. Dirk isn't a great defender but works well in a team concept. I can name quite a few stars that this applies to. DRose included.. No knock on either players but they would be considered as average defenders at best. Rose can improve but Dirk is what he is. It can work IMO
No doubt, but the point will always remain that no matter what, that same defensive team will be even greater with the superior individual defender.

For example, you replace Dirk with KG/Duncan, or Rose with CP3/Rondo and what happens to that defense? Obviously the other side is impacted, but focusing solely on the defensive end I think its fair to say the team improves in most of these comparisons, on that 1 end.

Tuck&Rolle
06-14-2011, 06:08 PM

I can tell you your wrong. I watch the NBA religiously, not just the Knicks.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
i dont know if i would go that far.... he is better shooter/post player, he is definetly beter in the clutch...

i dont think that maes him bette offensive player though...lebron knows how to score with his abilities, and his ability to run point is a pretty big offensive trait.

Thats the point, HE HAS THE ABILITY, but he's doesn't use it and I really think he doesn't know how to use it. Just like Melo has the Ability to be a really good defender, but he just isn;t!

Tuck&Rolle
This thread should be close btw. It's pointless and only going to start arguments like it already has.

Durant is hype
yeah your wrong...lol

Do you have any stats to back up that claim :)

javsvt
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
This thread should be close btw. It's pointless and only going to start arguments like it already has.

Melo is better, figured i'd get the last word in just in case they close it.:D

THE MTL
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Lebron's defense on Derrick Rose in the conference Finals was DPOY quality. However, iff the Heat had Melo instead of Lebron in the Finals then the Heat would have won. I noticed that Lebron and Wade lacked a midrange game. They always penetrated and the Mavs always collasped on them.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:12 PM
The title probably should of been "Would the Heat been better off with KOBE then LeBron?"

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Healthy arguments are what PSD is all about!

Anyways guys I checked basketball reference and here are the FACTS....Yes I said FACTS :p

Lebron James TS% 594 eFG% 541 FG% 510 That's a EFFICIENT shooter to me.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Lebron's defense on Derrick Rose in the conference Finals was DPOY quality. However, iff the Heat had Melo instead of Lebron in the Finals then the Heat would have won. I noticed that Lebron and Wade lacked a midrange game. They always penetrated and the Mavs always collasped on them.

Care to comment on the stats shown above? LBJ is a good shooter,although he's just too pass first especially when the double/triple comes.

Tony_Starks
06-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow dude you really need to watch those possession's again cause your dead wrong and your argument is absolutely ********. Melo was being tripled covered and created wide open shots for his teamates.. problem is the rest of the team blew *** specially with Amare and Billups out. Thats what needs to be fixed this off season is rebuilding the supporting cast. Then the Knicks will be a legit contender.

I already acknowledged I was mistakingly talking about game 2, I meant game one where he got the offensive foul then forced up that bad shot in the final couple possessions.

Im not hating on the Knicks you guys are about to come up.... my thing is with Melo or Lebron argument I doubt it would've mattered because Dallas bench and role players are better and that was the difference maker.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I can tell you your wrong. I watch the NBA religiously, not just the Knicks.

Same bro. Our eyes see what we want them to see :)

50% watching
50% stats

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I already acknowledged I was mistakingly talking about game 2, I meant game one where he got the offensive foul then forced up that bad shot in the final couple possessions.

Im not hating on the Knicks you guys are about to come up.... my thing is with Melo or Lebron argument I doubt it would've mattered because Dallas bench and role players are better and that was the difference maker.

EXACTLY!!!!! This...x100

knicks4life33
06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Heard lebron skipped college cuz he doesnt know how to deal with finals

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM

stats say lebron is better shooter.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:38 PM

Video show's Melo's the better shooter!

javsvt
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM

He might be a better shooter cause he gets to the rim a lot more. But when they played Zone, that was taken away from him and he couldnt and didnt hit an outside shot. Melo would have his those jumpers....

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:40 PM
He might be a better shooter cause he gets to the rim a lot more. But when they played Zone, that was taken away from him and he couldnt and didnt hit an outside shot. Melo would have his those jumpers....

Thats the thing, if he's a better shooter why did he struggle against the zone?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Video show's Melo's the better shooter!

can we please stop this hoax that melo is better shooter than james

Lebron
3-9 feet 44.4%
10-15 feet 44.7%
16-23 feet 45%

Melo
3-9 feet 26.1%
10-15 feet 36.8%
16-23 feet 40%

What is there more to say???

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Thats the thing, if he's a better shooter why did he struggle against the zone?

Cause EVERYBODY not named Michael had a "OFF" shooting series. Also He wasn't looking for his shot when they doubled and tripled team.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Lebron
3-9 feet 44.4%
10-15 feet 44.7%
16-23 feet 45%

Melo
3-9 feet 26.1%
10-15 feet 36.8%
16-23 feet 40%

Bang! thanks bro just the stats I was looking for. :)

SteBO
06-14-2011, 06:46 PM
I love LeBron, but 'Melo is the better shooter. Remember that shooting percentage, whether you factor in advanced statistics or not, involves inside scores as well. 'Melo doesn't get as many inside scores as LeBron, leading to more jumpers for him. Therefore, if you watch the games you'll see the 'Melo is the better mid-range shooter. Don't overevaluate the statistical side of it. I'd be ecstatic if LeBron developed the mid range game 'Melo has.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Lebron
3-9 feet 44.4%
10-15 feet 44.7%
16-23 feet 45%

Melo
3-9 feet 26.1%
10-15 feet 36.8%
16-23 feet 40%

:facepalm: you act like stats always tell the truth. Stats also show Lebron is a better shooter then Durant...Is that true too>?

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:49 PM
I love LeBron, but 'Melo is the better shooter. Remember that shooting percentage, whether you factor in advanced statistics or not, involves inside scores as well. 'Melo doesn't get as many inside scores as LeBron, leading to more jumpers for him. Therefore, if you watch the games you'll see the 'Melo is the better mid-range shooter. Don't overevaluate the statistical side of it. I'd be ecstatic if LeBron developed the mid range game 'Melo has.

Please Let the Kobe and Durant guy know because the act like Stats tell the whole story...

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:49 PM

I know you watched plenty of heat game,although didn't you notice LBJ was more of a finesse player this year and he still shot 50%.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
:facepalm: you act like stats always tell the truth. Stats also show Lebron is a better shooter then Durant...Is that true too>?

so you watch the game and say he's a better shooter lmfao:laugh:

tyfreaks brotha
06-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Lebron beats Melo in just about everything besides the fact Melo is more clutcher/thread

javsvt
06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
What ate the stats in the 4th in playoffs? Cause if Lebron was such a great shooter, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and he would have his ring.

koreancabbage
06-14-2011, 06:51 PM
actually i believe that Melo would have helped them in this series for sure. but you can't argue that Lebron didn't bring the Heat the wins for the series against the Celtics and Bulls. he was clutch in those games.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Stats don't tell the truth,however when LBJ's shooting dominates Melo in every area of the floor.......LBJ had a OFF shooting series it happens guys,not an excuse though.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Lebron's jumpers from 16-23 Ft were assisted only 20% of the time while Melo percentage was 38%.

That clearly says to me that lebron can create his shot even better than carmelo.

Yanks All Day
06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I did not even take into account the minutes LeBron put in per game to help Miami. He is probably the best conditioned athlete in the NBA, but 38.8 minutes per game probably took its toll on him down the stretch. Couple that with the fact that he played 43.8 minutes per game in the playoffs and he was probably a little worn down. Carmelo, on the other hand, has never played more than 38.2 minutes per game in the regular season and only twice went over 40 minutes per game in the playoffs in his career. That's something else to think about.

Can Melo defend anywhere near as well as LeBron can? Absolutely not. Is he serviceable on the defensive end? I would say so. But LeBron played excellent defense, for the most part way more minutes this year than Carmelo has ever played in his career. Add 5 more minutes per game to Carmelo and I don't think he sustains that serviceable defense, as opposed to LeBron keeping up the excellent defense over almost the whole game without rest. I still believe Miami would not have gotten past Boston or Chicago if you replace LeBron with Melo.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:55 PM
What ate the stats in the 4th in playoffs? Cause if Lebron was such a great shooter, we wouldn't be having this discussion, and he would have his ring.

you just cant compare them on such a little sample sample size:facepalm:

thats why we have stats for the whole season, not a 6 game stat against the mavs where melo hasnt even played for god sake.

GiantsSwaGG
so you watch the game and say he's a better shooter lmfao:laugh:

The funny thing is Stats also indicates James is a better shooter then Kobe:laugh:

http://bkref.com/tiny/S6VA8

SteBO
I know you watched plenty of heat game,although didn't you notice LBJ was more of a finesse player this year and he still shot 50%.
Oh I agree. But this is more about the consistency side of it. There aren't many teams that can stop LeBron from getting to the rim, so he gets more layups, and dunks, not to mention FT's. His jumper has improved greatly, but just isn't as good Carmelo's from what I've watched. 'Melo is also capable of running off screens, catching and shooting. LeBron has done that at times, but not as consistent as 'Melo and that's where I deem 'Melo the better shooter.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Stats don't tell the truth,however when LBJ's shooting dominates Melo in every area of the floor.......LBJ had a OFF shooting series it happens guys,not an excuse though.

You still didn't answer my question though...Stats prove Lebron is a better shooter then Durant is that true?

omdigga
06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
the heat would have been better with melo.. cause melo would still force his trade with NY.. the heat would get back depth with Wilson chandler, Gallo, Felton, Mosgov, and all of our picks...

miami would be stacked with Dwade and Bosh as their cornerstones... more depth.. they would have won the championship..

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh I agree. But this is more about the consistency side of it. There aren't many teams that can stop LeBron from getting to the rim, so he gets more layups, and dunks, not to mention FT's. His jumper has improved greatly, but just isn't as good Carmelo's from what I've watched. 'Melo is also capable of running off screens, catching and shooting. LeBron has done that at times, but not as consistent as 'Melo and that's where I deem 'Melo the better shooter.

Good post :clap:

We can agree to disagree :)

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
You still didn't answer my question though...Stats prove Lebron is a better shooter then Durant is that true?

Really care to show the stats?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 06:58 PM

The funny thing is Stats also indicates James is a better shooter then Kobe:laugh:

http://bkref.com/tiny/S6VA8

um what is that, that shows only FG% 3PT% and FT%
:confused::confused:

javsvt
06-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Here are Carmelo's stats for playoffs and regular season. Not to shabby...
http://www.databasebasketball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=ANTHOCA01

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Couldn't have said it better, now if we can teach kobe24 how to read, he'll understand!

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Really care to show the stats?

http://bkref.com/tiny/mSxCu

-Kobe24-TJ19-
Couldn't have said it better, now if we can teach kobe24 how to read, he'll understand!

the stats say james is a better shooter everywhere on the court:facepalm::facepalm:

You cant see the numbers or are you just denying them???

javsvt

I wrote that on my post, he just said it better. Melo's outside shot is better....

-Kobe24-TJ19-
http://bkref.com/tiny/mSxCu

like I said terrible stats

use hoopdata for shooting stats.

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Maybe if we had some offensive sets we cant Lebron off the ball more. Every time LBJ has the ball he HAS TO MAKE A PLAY! If we had an offensive system where he can work off the ball,he can definitely excel at that.

IBleedPurple
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Wouldn't have been too much different. Melo is bigger in the clutch, but is also a ball stopper.

And he is just about as up & down as Lebron when it comes to the playoffs. It's not like Melo is an example for consistent playofff performance.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:04 PM
um what is that, that shows only FG% 3PT% and FT%
:confused::confused:

Exactly so does that mean he a better shooter then Kobe in those category?

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Lebron is a better shooter than Kobe bro. Kobe has the better post game and is the better free throw shooter.

raiderfaninTX
06-14-2011, 07:05 PM
you guys are arguing with people who like New York teams who arguably have the dumbest *** ing fans on the face of the earth,

javsvt
06-14-2011, 07:07 PM
you guys are arguing with people who like New York teams who arguably have the dumbest *** ing fans on the face of the earth,

LOL, loser Raider fan speaks....:clap:

Durant is hype

BE NICE! The point of these arguments is to come out more educated!

GiantsSwaGG
like I said terrible stats

use hoopdata for shooting stats.

It still indicates he's a better shooter then Kobe:facepalm:

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=LeBron%20James

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 07:08 PM
Do you have any stats to back up that claim :)

i have two.... my right and left eyeballs.

melo is a better shooter then bron.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM

:facepalm: This coming from a Raider who still have Al Davis who might be the Dumbest owner in the world:facepalm:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 07:10 PM

lebron is better from 16-23 ft

Kobe
3-9 ft 48%
10-15 ft 52%
16-23 ft 38%

Lebron
3-9 ft 44.4%
10-15 ft 44.7%
16-23 ft 45%

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Lebron is a better shooter than Kobe bro. Kobe has the better post game and is the better free throw shooter.

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kevin%20Durant

Show's Lebron has a better Mid Range then Durant!

Chill_Will_24
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
They wouldnt have made it to the finals if they had Melo in place of Lebron. i dount they wouldve made it past Boston.

javsvt
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Now we are comparing a guy who has been clutch most of his career and has won multiple championships to Lebron.:rolleyes:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 07:12 PM
It still indicates he's a better shooter then Kobe:facepalm:

http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Kobe%20Bryant

check my last post, lebron is only better from 16-23 ft

Durant is hype
06-14-2011, 07:14 PM
i have two.... my right and left eyeballs.

melo is a better shooter then bron.

Stats aren't going to kill ya man!

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Maybe if we had some offensive sets we cant Lebron off the ball more. Every time LBJ has the ball he HAS TO MAKE A PLAY! If we had an offensive system where he can work off the ball,he can definitely excel at that.

well thats exactly what i say that teams problem is... two player who need ball to create... neither is an off ball guy, and neither is that great of shooter....

bron makes better off ball guy then wade.. cause he is a better shooter... but if you make lebron offball guy, you take away his passing/playmaking ability... which is just a waste of talent.

Punk
06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Melo would have been more aggressive, he would have been more vocal, he would have rebounded more and he would get 110% effort without a doubt.

If Melo could grab 17 rebounds and score 42 points in a first round game 2 series then he could go beyond that in a NBA Finals series.

It's apparent, Melo is a scrub all of a sudden according to PSD logic. But LeBron has never once outplayed Melo and been able to guard him.

Which is why a Knicks vs Heat series would be great for the NBA.

ne3xchamps
06-14-2011, 07:16 PM
It would have been the same IMO. Lebron's D is 1000x better then melo, but melo is more clutch. so the end results would have been the same. There is a lot to be said about lebron's d that can't be measured by stats.

knickfan33
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM

i dont know where to find a stat that of fg% that doesnt include dunks and layups...if i did,i would provided it.... but anyone who has seen the two play on multiple occasions should see melo is clearly better shooter.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:22 PM

The point is even if he's better from 16, he's not the better shooter. Stats also indicates he's a better shooter then Joe Johnson besides from 3-9 he's better.

3-9 FG%
James- 44%
Johnson- 52%

10-15 FG%
James- 44.7%
Johnson- 38%

16-23 FG%
James- 45%
Johnson- 39%

3's FG%
James- 49%
Johnson- 44%

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:23 PM
i dont know where to find a stat that of fg% that doesnt include dunks and layups...if i did,i would provided it.... but anyone who has seen the two play on multiple occasions should see melo is clearly better shooter.

Even a Heat fan who watch LeBron play for an entire season said Melo's the better shooter!

ne3xchamps
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Wow how did some of these post derail to lebron is a better shooter than kobe. Lebron is a better shooter than durant. WTF! Its melo and lebron people. I don't see this thread lasting too much longer.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:27 PM

The funny thing is besides this season, Melo has the better shooting numbers overall...Don't believe check the stats. And im not talking about only this season....their entire careers...compare it!

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Wow how did some of these post derail to lebron is a better shooter than kobe. Lebron is a better shooter than durant. WTF! Its melo and lebron people. I don't see this thread lasting too much longer.

He's a better shooter than both

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Compare Melo and James shooting number for their entire career (NOT JUST THIS SEASON) which you obviously did, you'll see Melo has the better shooting numbers!

Evolution23
06-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Melo doesn't choke in the 4th quarter and Lebron's defense was no existent in the finals.
/thread.

Evolution23
06-14-2011, 07:41 PM
the stats say james is a better shooter everywhere on the court:facepalm::facepalm:

You cant see the numbers or are you just denying them???

So you think Lebron is a better shooter than Melo and Durant? Do you watch games or are you a stat whore?

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM
So you think Lebron is a better shooter than Melo and Durant? Do you watch games or are you a stat whore?

He is :laugh2:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 07:43 PM

so you are telling me the stats lie:laugh2:?

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:44 PM

LMFAO:laugh:

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:45 PM

No point in arguing with Melo stans

-Kobe24-TJ19-
Compare Melo and James shooting number for their entire career (NOT JUST THIS SEASON) which you obviously did, you'll see Melo has the better shooting numbers!

just checked, lebron and melo are equal maybe james is even slightly better.

GiantsSwaGG

Stats doesn't tell the whole truth thats the point...Compare Melo's and James stats for their career not just this season, Melo's the better shooter!

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
He is :laugh2:

Now I see why people don't take you serious...The fact you think James is a better shooter then Durant is plan dumb!

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
just checked, lebron and melo are equal maybe james is even slightly better.

Not really Melo edges out James...Check em!

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Now I see why people don't take you serious...The fact you think James is a better shooter then Durant is plan dumb!

Not so much Durant as James is only better from 16-23 ft, but he's definitely better than Melo no questions asked.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Bash Lebron all you want, but the guy is a good shooter, you guys are like Bayless who calls him LeBrick with no reason.

Kobe bricks a lot of shots too, like evryone else.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Bash Lebron all you want, but the guy is a good shooter, you guys are like Bayless who calls him LeBrick with no reason.

Kobe bricks a lot of shots too, like evryone else.

Its not about hating Lebron even though 99% of the posters do. Its about facts. Melo's the better shooter....

Lebron is the better Player....He's the best player in the NBA hate him or love him!

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Its not about hating Lebron even though 99% of the posters do. Its about facts. Melo's the better shooter....

Lebron is the better Player....He's the best player in the NBA hate him or love him!

Oh the irony, please show me these stats

Ebbs
They would have lost in four. Because Lebrons defense was a massive factor in the first 4 games.

GiantsSwaGG
Not so much Durant as James is only better from 16-23 ft, but he's definitely better than Melo no questions asked.

Your fellow Heat fan Stebo seems to disagree

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Your fellow Heat fan Stebo seems to disagree

Well, he's wrong

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, he's wrong

And so are you...Your just looking at this season stats. Look at their whole career...Melo's better!

GodsSon
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't even like LeBron, but Melo couldn't hold the guy's jock-strap.

Let's be honest here guys, LeBron is arguably the best player in the L. Melo is debatable when naming the top 10 (I'd put him somewhere around 12-15).

Atownballa5
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
melo is a bum, lebron is a monster if were doing comparison here...

Cano4prez
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
And so are you...Your just looking at this season stats. Look at their whole career...Melo's better!

Why would I look at the whole career when LeBron obviously improved over the years. Its clear hes the better shooter now and it's through 82 games so it's not a small sample size especially when he shot almost the same amount of shots as Melo in the midrange.

javsvt
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM

Let's be honest here guys, LeBron is arguably the best player in the L. Melo is debatable when naming the top 10 (I'd put him somewhere around 12-15).
Not when they play against each other, Melo has a winning record against him.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 08:04 PM

Let me ask you this question...not trying to be funny do you think Monta Ellis is a top 10 player?

SteBO
06-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Listen, LeBron is a much better player than 'Melo, but 'Melo in terms jump shooting, is better than LeBron. They play the same position, but they get completely different looks just because of their playing styles. 'Melo takes alot more jumpshots than LeBron, which is lower percentage shot than layups, something LeBron gets more of because he's a freak of nature physically. 'Melo, though very strong going to the basket, takes a lot more jumpers, but only because teams know how to pack the paint on him, and that's tough to do because he's a more consistent jump shooter than LeBron. We're not talking about this season, we're talking about an entire body of work here, and on that note, 'Melo is the much better shooter from the perimeter in terms of consistency.

GiantsSwaGG
Why would I look at the whole career when LeBron obviously improved over the years. Its clear hes the better shooter now and it's through 82 games so it's not a small sample size especially when he shot almost the same amount of shots as Melo in the midrange.

:facepalm: Everybody know's Melo has the best Mid Range in the game what are you talking about. He couldn't shoot in the zone if his life depended on it.

Punk
mello has never played in the nba finals or any games with that much pressure so he could have very well choked himself.

mello has also never taken over a series and won it by himself just because he hits couple clutch shots in reg. season games doesn't mean he's clutch when it comes to the big stage.

His name is "MELO" and 8 playoff appearances tell me otherwise. Dirk wasn't never clutch in his first playoff appearance but he is in his second. Hmmm but LeBron wasn't for his second appearance.

Again, It doesn't matter how you slice it. It comes out the same.

GiantsSwaGG
06-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Listen, LeBron is a much better player than 'Melo, but 'Melo in terms jump shooting, is better than LeBron. They play the same position, but they get completely different looks just because of their playing styles. 'Melo takes alot more jumpshots than LeBron, which is lower percentage shot than layups, something LeBron gets more of because he's a freak of nature physically. 'Melo, though very strong going to the basket, takes a lot more jumpers, but only because teams know how to pack the paint on him, and that's tough to do because he's a more consistent jump shooter than LeBron. We're not talking about this season, we're talking about an entire body of work here, and on that note, 'Melo is the much better shooter from the perimeter in terms of consistency.

Can You PLEASE EDUCATE your fellow Heat fan Cano that....

Again Lebron is the better player...Melo is the better shooter!

GodsSon
06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Not when they play against each other, Melo has a winning record against him.

It's a TEAM game. I'm sure the rest of those Denver rosters want some credit too.

Let me ask you this question...not trying to be funny do you think Monta Ellis is a top 10 player?

Hell no.