PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats Hire Rich Cho as General Manager

NBA_Starter
06-14-2011, 01:36 AM
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Just over a week before one of the biggest drafts in the Charlotte Bobcats' short history, owner Michael Jordan has shaken up the front office.

The Bobcats announced late Monday they've hired former Portland general manager Rich Cho to the same position. Rod Higgins, who had held that job since 2007, was promoted to president of basketball operations.

Cho's new role comes three weeks after he was fired by the Trail Blazers — after less than a year on the job — and four months after he brokered a trade deadline deal with Higgins and Charlotte that sent Gerald Wallace to the Blazers.

The trade opened salary-cap space for Charlotte and yielded a first-round pick. The Bobcats on June 23 will pick ninth, 19th and 39th, and Jordan has said the draft is critical for Charlotte's future.

The expansion Bobcats have made the playoffs just once in their seven seasons and sunk to 34-48 this past season, during which Jordan fired coach Larry Brown and hired Paul Silas. Jordan, who has had the final say on basketball decisions since 2006, bought the team outright last year and is seemingly leaving his element in hiring Cho.

Jordan had brought in mostly confidants to the front office. Higgins was a former teammate and team president Fred Whitfield is an old friend. Cho will give the Bobcats a fresh perspective as Jordan tries to make the money-losing team a winner.

Born in Burma, Cho became the NBA's first Asian GM last year when he was hired away from Oklahoma City's front office. But he lasted less than a year despite being praised for the Wallace deal because of what Blazers President Larry Miller called "chemistry issues."

Cho, who has a law degree from Pepperdine, will assist Higgins in basketball decisions and handle the salary cap.

The Bobcats have already done much of their draft preparation, but will resume player workouts Wednesday with Cho expected to attend.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/bobcats/story/9724514/

oogaboogaman
06-14-2011, 01:41 AM
I find this hilarious because the one trade he made as Portland's GM was with Charlotte. Especially considering most people think he did an amazing job for Portland in that trade.

FriedTofuz
06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
I wonder why they would hire him? the bobcats already traded their best player to rich cho and now they hire him? im just glad he got another chance elsewhere. he did a solid job as his first year as a gm.

NBA_Starter
06-14-2011, 01:43 AM
I find this hilarious because the one trade he made as Portland's GM was with Charlotte. Especially considering most people think he did an amazing job for Portland in that trade.

I think it's a good move if MJ stays out of the way and let's Cho do his job. Ignore Cho's year in Portland and remember he played a hand in what has been built in Oklahoma City. OKC is the perfect model for what we need to do in remodeling the franchise but we still have to be patient! My main point is we are not in position for him to pull off any moves like he did to us last year.

DerekRE_3
06-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Obviously the Bobcats want Crash back. Makes perfect sense.

LTBaByyy
06-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Watch the Bobcats be an upcoming team in 2 years with a lot of potential

DerekRE_3
06-14-2011, 02:09 AM
If they actually let Cho run the draft...then maybe. Just don't let MJ or Higgins touch it.

SluggeR
06-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Being that his time in Portland was short lived, I can't say whether this is a good move or not.

NBA_Starter
06-14-2011, 02:19 AM
Presti also said it was not uncommon for Cho to engineer the framework of a trade on the phone, then run it by the management team for approval.

The latest example came on draft night last month, Presti said. Cho traded Oklahoma City's No. 32 pick to Miami for the Heat's No. 18 pick and guard Daequan Cook. In turn, Cho turned the 18th pick into a future first-round pick with the Los Angeles Clippers.

So what started out to be the No. 32 pick turned out to be Cook and a future first-round pick.

That type of move, Cho says, is typical of his way of thinking.

"When you make trades you have to look at it in a layering aspect: So let's make this trade, and maybe what we get out of this trade can help us make a subsequent trade," Cho explained. "Sometimes you have to make one deal to make another."

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/07/new_general_manager_rich_cho_h.html

This is the exact approach the Bobcats need.

Chronz
06-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I think it's a good move if MJ stays out of the way and let's Cho do his job. Ignore Cho's year in Portland and remember he played a hand in what has been built in Oklahoma City. OKC is the perfect model for what we need to do in remodeling the franchise but we still have to be patient! My main point is we are not in position for him to pull off any moves like he did to us last year.

Why ignore what he did in Portland? Was he bad?

Solid move by MJ if he lets him do his job

GreatMustachio1
06-14-2011, 02:23 PM
If they actually let Cho run the draft...then maybe. Just don't let MJ or Higgins touch it.

Yeah, MJ and Higgins need to just stay away and not interfere with Cho's job. Just let him do his thing.

NBA_Starter
06-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Why ignore what he did in Portland? Was he bad?

No, not at all. I just mean we are not in any position for him to make a Gerald Wallace like move, we are more in the mode OKC was in when he helped build them to what they currently are from drafting and smart moves.

John Walls Era
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Good move as long as MJ doesn't question everything.

BadBoyPistons
06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
The Bobcats need all the help they can get. This guy might help as GM.