PDA

View Full Version : Would you give Chris Paul a max contract???

Ty Fast
06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Based on his injury history would you give him a max deal or not? I would have to say no. As good as he is I think he is decline. He is nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago.

Hawkeye15
06-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Nope. As great as he has been, he is facing the same scenario Roy is dealing with eventually. You just can't give him a 5 year deal at the max, or you possibly handicap your team.

The 916 Guy
06-13-2011, 10:29 PM
Really? Are Chris Paul's injuries really as bad as Brandon Roys?

Hawkeye15
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Really? Are Chris Paul's injuries really as bad as Brandon Roys?

They will be, yes. Paul will have no cartilage in his knees at some point. When that happens is a guess, but if you are a GM, are you willing to gamble with $100 million?

gaughan333
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
They will be, yes. Paul will have no cartilage in his knees at some point. When that happens is a guess, but if you are a GM, are you willing to gamble with $100 million?

Source? I haven't heard that they were that bad. (Not arguing, I've really just never seen reports of this)

Il Mago50
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
Are you guys serious...

Who in the world wouldn`t give a top 6-7 player in the league the max contract...he missed a few games the past two years but he played like himself when healthy which still justifies the money. Shaq would play 60-65 games a year for the Lakers and bring them a ring, what difference would it be for the best or second best PG in league to do the same...

FriedTofuz
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
He is the best point guard in the nba, yes i would.

Hawkeye15
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Source? I haven't heard that they were that bad. (Not arguing, I've really just never seen reports of this)

I would have to dig it up man. But I have read numerous reports that Paul's knees are a ticking time bomb. Which totally sucks, it will rob us of maybe seeing the top PG of all time if he were healthy and got some roster help.

HeaTxRipZz
06-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Chris Paul is a passing PG he doesn't really rely on explosiveness so Brandon Roy situation or not how would that handicap a team? They will find a procedure if that time ever comes but him not having to rely on explosiveness I don't see it messing with his career much.

Totally different player from Roy but that's just my opinion on the subject

LTBaByyy
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Of course!!!!

Someone will give him one so you might as well beat them to it!!

Giraffes Rule
06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Depends. If I have a team like the Spurs or Mavs who could win right now, but don't have a long term window anymore I'd do it. If his knees give out in a few years, oh well. It's time to rebuild anyways. If they don't, then I have the best point guard in the league to build around going forward and a crap load of cap space to work with after my veterans retire.

Hawkeye15
06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Of course!!!!

Someone will give him one so you might as well beat them to it!!

This is the perfect answer honestly.

Is he worth it? In principal, yes.

His knees will hurt any team that pays him that money, but he will get it and have a short window to help a contender kill it for 2-3 years

mttwlsn16
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
absolutely would love to see him donning clipper red white and blue no matter the cost

kblo247
06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
No. He lacks a meniscus so no, the deal would require incentives to reach max money

Super.
06-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I would. Best PG in the NBA

marlinsfan24
06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Yes I would. Especially with rumors that the new CBA may include an amnesty clause.

ManRam
06-13-2011, 11:18 PM
As a Magic fan (pretending we could afford a max contract) I'd do it in a heart beat. Worth the risk. Moderate/minor risk, extremely high reward.

IndiansFan337
06-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Based on his injury history would you give him a max deal or not? I would have to say no. As good as he is I think he is decline. He is nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago.

I agree with you, but in order to get him you would have to give him a max deal because he will have plenty of other max offers out there.

I'm fairly certain that he'll miss games, possibly even extended time during that max deal. But in order to acquire/sign him long term you will have to pony up.

avrpatsfan
06-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Yup.

MacFitz92
06-13-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't have that kind of money, so it'd be impossible.

jrm2054
06-13-2011, 11:55 PM
yes i would his knees can go tomorrow or in 8 years. Just like any players career can end in one second with a injury. He is the best PG in the league and is worth max money and he showed that in the lakers series.

BadBoyPistons
06-13-2011, 11:56 PM
If you want to go all in, you give this guy a max contract. Sure, there is an element of risk involved but there is with every long-term contract.

Chris Paul has championship talent, that is undeniable.

The April Fool
06-13-2011, 11:58 PM

This is in fact false.

The difference between Roy & CP3 is that Roy's knees were tested out before he was even drafted as being a potential problem. There was a window on his success before injuries, which is why Portland took insurance out on him before the draft. Roy's biggest mistake was returning to play 8 days after having his meniscus removed, instead of waiting out a few months. He already has a bone on bone condition in both knees at this point in his career. That has been confirmed by Portland's medical staff.

Chris Paul doesnt have a problem with his knees. He had a surgery to remove the meniscus of his right knee, which may appear to be a major surgery but it is not in 2011. He has never been a high flyer thus the loss of the meniscus to absorb the shock of landing will not be a major factor for him. The knee can not depreciate unless arthritis sets in.

Utley4MVP
06-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Some of you guys are effin nuts. Anytime you give a max contract to a player its a risk but its the nature of the NBA right now. If im giving a max contract to anyone its CP3 (or D12 for that matter) hes the best PG in the league...extremely efficient and makes everyone on his team better. Also has played at least 78 games 4 out of last 6 years....Please show me some evidence of his knee(s) being as bad as Roy's. I havent heard anything of the sort and good point by whoever said he doesnt need his explosiveness as much as Roy does. Id give Chris Paul a max contract any day of the week and twice on Sunday

SANDBURG23
06-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Not if I was NO, but another team like Portland if the trade for him or NY to name a few. It would only hamper NO at this point, not lock up there there star of the future. They have gone as far as they will go for the next 2 years at least. NO needs to trade him. Imagine if Orl some how got him.