PDA

View Full Version : Laker's Cap Situation in Light of Howard's FA Decision

The Final Boss
06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
I was reading how Los Angeles doesn't have the space to make an offer for Howard in the summer of 2012. This will be Los Angeles' cap situation that summer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nba/lak/

Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Shannon Brown, Derek Caracter, Devin Ebanks, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol, Johnson, Theo Ratliff, and Joe Smith will be off the books that summer resulting in $40.1 million of freed space*.

* This figure is counting a $2.2 million buyout clause in Luke Walton's contract, adding the additional $4 million.

Ron Artest also has a team option that offseason with Los Angeles controlling a kicker due to minutes and production. This alone would add $9 million additional free space.

So the questions the posters have been raising about Los Angeles not having the space for Howard should be obsolete.

Additional breakdowns of cap space can be posted here for likely teams looking to sign Howard. I think it'll give the PSD NBA Forum something to dwell on as the countdown transpires.

Tony_Starks
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
True enough they'll have the space, depending on what the new cba is.

My main thing with Lakers and Howard is I wish Jimmy Buss didn't have such a damn man crush on Bynum and was willing to trade him. He's seriously not even willing to trade him for Howard because he "discovered Bynum." They were laughing about it on PTI today that Buss talks about discovering Bynum like he discovered plutonium or something!!!

Cracka2HI!
06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
:facepalm: :laugh2:

WRONG!!! Not even close!

http://www.storytellerscontracts.com/

raiderNlakerfan
06-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Wow. This is interesting

Kevj77
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
That link is outdated or something because it doesn't take into consideration the contract extensions of Kobe and Gasol, it has them both listed a free agents in 2012.

Hoopshype will show you the up to date salaries. Lakers WILL NOT have cap space in 2012. Howard is not going to LA as a Free Agent, the only option is and always has been a sign and trade for the Lakers.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Hellcrooner
06-13-2011, 10:15 PM
**** cap space.

ever heard bout sign and trade.?

if you are orlando its july 2012 and howards says yoh dude you have two options i go and sign with the knicks/celtics/whatever for free or you sign and trade me to l.a for drew or pau.

either way im out otis.

you choose.

what do you do?

exaclty.

llemon
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Damn!!! Words are only words. Words mean nothing until they transpire into actual action.

I'll let you figure out what the real situation may turn into.

And, of course, any conclusions will be mere speculation.

LakersA's49ers
06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
i doubt theres cap space but im not going to waste my time finding links like OTHERS lmfao.

Supa
06-13-2011, 11:23 PM
No cap space in 2012. Do you understand how salary cap works?

---

llemon
06-13-2011, 11:44 PM
No cap space in 2012. Do you understand how salary cap works?

---

Soups, you must understand how significantly things can change in 365 days, especially when those 365 days could contain a major lockout

waveycrockett
06-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Epic Fail by OP

numba1CHANGsta
06-14-2011, 12:00 AM
If the Lakers get Dwight its gonna be by trade, you swear Orlando is just gonna let him walk without getting anything in return lol

Supa
06-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Soups, you must understand how significantly things can change in 365 days, especially when those 365 days could contain a major lockout

Right, you must thought that Lakers will have a cap space after the new CBA. Quite ... "optimistic" of you.

---

SP17
06-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Pau Gasol has already extended for 3 yrs.

Gibby23
06-14-2011, 12:10 AM
The big wanabe Pau Gasol fan didn't know he extended his contract. Lakers don't have cap space until Kobe and Gasols contracts run out.

SP17
06-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Bingo!

Iceman_9
06-14-2011, 12:15 AM
lets trade for Howard. Orlando wont let him walk away without getting anything in return.

ManRam
06-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Some faulty information...

Smith and Ratliff will be FAs this summer.

Matt Barnes will be a FA after next year.
Ebanks will be a FA after next year.
Brown has a player option for next season.
Caracter also has an option for next season.
Fisher has a player option for the 2012/2013 season

Those guys make very little amounts of money

Pau is signed until the end of the 2014 season
Blake is signed until after the 2014 season.

Dwight becomes a FA after this next season. Going into the 2012/2013 season (after this next season) the Lakers will have about 68 million dollars in contracts. Odom and Bynum have player options...those could be the difference makers. They opt out and the cap figure will be closer to 40 million. I don't think either will...

A lot can happen before then. And either way, they could always sign and trade.

I don't think Orlando would S&T Howard to an EC team as willingly as they would to a WC team. The team might have the power to dick over Howard. There will be a lot of contenders he might not be able to sign with outright...especially with the new CBA (another huge factor).

fadedmario
06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Why is this thread still open? The Lakers are in one of the worst cap situations in the league.

Gibby23

Dwight becomes a FA after this next season. Going into the 2012/2013 season (after this next season) the Lakers will have about 68 million dollars in contracts. Odom and Bynum have player options...those could be the difference makers. They opt out and the cap figure will be closer to 40 million. I don't think either will...

I don't think Orlando would S&T Howard to an EC team as willingly as they would to a WC team. The team might have the power to dick over Howard. There will be a lot of contenders he might not be able to sign with outright...especially with the new CBA (another huge factor).

Dont call him out for wrong info when yoy also posted wrong info. Bynum and Odom have team options.

FriedTofuz
Orlando should trade howard now and get something for him, rather than waiting around for him to leave. The only way Howard will stay is it if otis smith brings in a solid second option for dwight howard and gets rid of a bad contract like turkoglu or areanas. If otis is sucessful, he should feel confident that howard will stay. If he cant aquire a solid all star second option, the best idea would be to trade howard. Afterall, getting something rather than nothing is the way to go.

Gibby23
06-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Why is this thread still open? The Lakers are in one of the worst cap situations in the league.

It's not bad, they can still play for a title and the Bynum and odom contracts can be used like expirings. It's not like they have about 20 million tied up in Ben Gordan and Charlie V.

llemon
06-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Right, you must thought that Lakers will have a cap space after the new CBA. Quite ... "optimistic" of you.

---

Soups.......Nevermind

fadedmario
06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
It's not bad, they can still play for a title and the Bynum and odom contracts can be used like expirings. It's not like they have about 20 million tied up in Ben Gordan and Charlie V.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: - LA fans are in denial. That's why there's threads like these because y'all are praying for Dwight. Not gonna happen. Enjoy the rebuild. It's closer than you think. Everyone else can see it. Why can't LA?

The Final Boss
06-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I apologize for any faulty or incorrect numbers. I based it off of rotoworld which passes as a reliable source on PSD and to good measure. Rotoworld is usually accurate in their figures. Anyway, thanks for those who cleaned up my understanding of the cap situation heading into that summer. Pending a new CBA of course. The funny thing is someone referring to me as a wannabe Gasol fan. I'm not sure what that even means.

sharqstealth
06-14-2011, 12:42 AM
**** cap space.

if you are orlando its july 2012 and howards says yoh dude you have two options i go and sign with the knicks/celtics/whatever for free or you sign and trade me to l.a for drew or pau.

either way im out otis.

you choose.

what do you do?

exaclty.

If I'm the Magic owner I'll say "Go *F* yourself, that's so classless of you to post threats on me like that!"

The Final Boss
06-14-2011, 12:46 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: - LA fans are in denial. That's why there's threads like these because y'all are praying for Dwight. Not gonna happen. Enjoy the rebuild. It's closer than you think. Everyone else can see it. Why can't LA?

Los Angeles has 1-2 years of rebuilding after every 2-4 championship run and then proceeds to challenge for another 2-5 championships thereafter. I'm not sure why you find that amusing but okay. The leagues fans are in denial that Los Angeles proves this decade after decade after decade, but facts are facts- no matter how amusing.

fadedmario
06-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Los Angeles has 1-2 years of rebuilding after every 2-4 championship run and then proceeds to challenge for another 2-5 championships thereafter. I'm not sure why you find that amusing but okay. The leagues fans are in denial that Los Angeles proves this decade after decade after decade, but facts are facts- no matter how amusing.

Forget the 90's? I'm 31. I've seen LA rebuild just like everyone else. Players like Kobe don't come around often. Good luck.

Storch
06-14-2011, 01:21 AM
The last time the Lakers signed a star free agent was Shaq, and the rest has been through trades (Gasol) and other good role players (Odom, Butler, etc.)

The Final Boss
06-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Forget the 90's? I'm 31. I've seen LA rebuild just like everyone else. Players like Kobe don't come around often. Good luck.

So you've been alive for 10 Titles, 16 Finals appearances, 25+ playoff runs equating to over 50% of your life watching Los Angeles in the Finals and your still in denial?

I guess it goes hand in hand with your childhood denial since your 31 with a Transformers sig.

llemon
06-14-2011, 01:49 AM
I was reading how Los Angeles doesn't have the space to make an offer for Howard in the summer of 2012. This will be Los Angeles' cap situation that summer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nba/lak/

Matt Barnes, Steve Blake, Shannon Brown, Derek Caracter, Devin Ebanks, Derek Fisher, Pau Gasol, Johnson, Theo Ratliff, and Joe Smith will be off the books that summer resulting in $40.1 million of freed space*.

* This figure is counting a $2.2 million buyout clause in Luke Walton's contract, adding the additional $4 million.

Ron Artest also has a team option that offseason with Los Angeles controlling a kicker due to minutes and production. This alone would add $9 million additional free space.

So the questions the posters have been raising about Los Angeles not having the space for Howard should be obsolete.

Additional breakdowns of cap space can be posted here for likely teams looking to sign Howard. I think it'll give the PSD NBA Forum something to dwell on as the countdown transpires.

I think you should find a better source for your salary info, sparky

SP17
06-14-2011, 01:51 AM

Manram I guess your saying fa after this next season? because barnes has 1 yr player option which he said he will exercise this upcoming season..EBanks will be a RFA next year. Brown has 1 year player option also for this upcoming season..no word from him yet.. Caracter is a team option for this year.
Fisher 2 yrs left..yr 2 player option
Lo and Drew 2 yrs left..yr 2 team option..

so If Drew and LO are traded this upcoming trade deadline they are as good as Players with value but could also be considered expiring contracts.

Jenceman
06-14-2011, 02:09 AM
So you've been alive for 10 Titles, 16 Finals appearances, 25+ playoff runs equating to over 50% of your life watching Los Angeles in the Finals and your still in denial?

I guess it goes hand in hand with your childhood denial since your 31 with a Transformers sig.

Damn. Straight owned.

gaughan333
06-14-2011, 02:27 AM

Because Kobe is still the best, Bynum will stop being hurt, Pau is going to get his head out of his ***, and a bunch of scrubs on their team are awesome.

gaughan333
06-14-2011, 02:29 AM

Woah, chill on the transformers hatred.

BigCityofDreams
06-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Woah, chill on the transformers hatred.

Yea let's not go overboard

fadedmario
06-14-2011, 10:44 AM

I own a vintage toy (Star Wars, G1 Transformers, mainly 70s-80s toys) and sports card business. I make a pretty good living selling "kid's stuff". So shut the **** up.

fadedmario
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I also use this forum to gauge player's potential when buying rookie cards. It helps me staying in touch with fanbases. This way you don't have to watch every player.

Sly Guy
06-14-2011, 11:04 AM
what's the cap at this year? $58mil?

Considering you can't count on buyouts, or players opting out of the last year of their contracts, the lakers will have $48mil on the books in 2012-2013. Leaving $10mil/season for howard? Good luck with that acquisition in FA.

LA_Raiders
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
he will be traded next season, there is no way orlando is going to let him walk...

Bynum & Odom for Howard & Arenas

That should do it, Lakers give a young C and the 6thMan and we take the worst contract in NBA in Arenas...

SLOnLucky
06-14-2011, 11:36 AM
**** cap space.

either way im out otis.

you choose.

what do you do?

exaclty.

Exactly...if they wanted to get it done, I'm sure they could...But, it does make you think about deals smaller than Howard and keeping the same group another year and then going after Chris Paul...

The Final Boss
06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I own a vintage toy (Star Wars, G1 Transformers, mainly 70s-80s toys) and sports card business. I make a pretty good living selling "kid's stuff". So shut the **** up.

Do you and the other 'adults' share your toys in the same sandbox? And don't give me that bs that you gauge interest in rookie cards utilizing PSD. Ever hear of a Becket? You obviously didn't attend business school.

LMFAO "I gauge interest about sports cards with the wisdom of clueless kids on PSD."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SP17
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
what's the cap at this year? $58mil?

Considering you can't count on buyouts, or players opting out of the last year of their contracts, the lakers will have $48mil on the books in 2012-2013. Leaving $10mil/season for howard? Good luck with that acquisition in FA.

wrong and wrong and wrong..LMAO..were are you getting those figures? those are way wrong..

No way Howard end up in LA via FA.. 3 more yrs before LA have cap space..

daleja424
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I think all psd posters should have to take an NBA cap rules course...

cambovenzi
06-14-2011, 12:31 PM
I think all psd posters should have to take an NBA cap rules course...

I think all NBA posters should have to take a math and reading class at some point in their lives.

Ripper Gein
06-14-2011, 01:08 PM

:laugh::laugh:Lakers NEVER Rebuild just Reload Learn your history son:laugh:

rapjuicer06
06-14-2011, 01:27 PM
If I'm in Orlando's FO and Howard came to me and said I'm not coming back, trade me or watch me leave. I will def. watch him leave, and laugh my *** off when he can't sign anywhere thats better than Orlando. Dwight controls where he wants to go, WITH teams that can bring him on by flat out signing him. I would say go to Boston and be with a team who's PG can't do anything but pass, and who's SF is slower than the **** coming out your ***. Go to the Bobcats and get pissed off for being a below average team with cheap *** owners. Go to Cleveland and be stuck in mediocracy. Go to any team that can afford you, and be stuck in mediocracy because we are not going to trade you to a contender. With you leaving we'll take anywhere from 30-40 million off the charts and if arenas leaves when you do it could be up to 60 million and we will start over. You want to be a *****, go be a *****. Peace

Then they will have a couple years of lottery picks, and by the time they start to have young talent again, all the huge contracts are gone and they could become the OKC Thunder.

Wilson
06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think this should have lasted here since it is focused on just the Lakers, plus there has been some baiting towards the end. I'm going to close it.