PDA

View Full Version : Let me get this straight about the amnesty clause

mballa22191
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Lets say it was used on Joe Johnson. He would still get the max from ATL. Plus what ever other contract he signs with another team?

He could end up making like 30 million a year

daleja424
06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
yup...

IndiansFan337
06-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Lets say it was used on Joe Johnson. He would still get the max from ATL. Plus what ever other contract he signs with another team?

He could end up making like 30 million a year

When the amnesty clause was used earlier this decade it presented every team with the opportunity to remove one contract from their team's salary cap figure. They were required to release that player and pay him in full. However, it does not count against their salary cap total. So for teams that are over the cap it still can be looked at as a large savings (depending on how long term that contract affects your cap total).

There is not currently an amnesty clause. And it is no guarantee to be available at the start of the next CBA. I don't expect it to be a part of the CBA unless they drop the cap significantly. And I don't see them players ever agreeing to a significant decrease.

ManRam
06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah. No way it would EVER be agreed upon that a player would be cut and not get paid. That would be unfair and would be a major breach of contract. You sign a contract and the only terms that matter are the terms in place when it was signed. A new rule in a new CBA shouldn't ever void a pre-existing contract.

So yeah, if the Magic cut Gil, we'd still have to pay him, but his albatross of a contract just wouldn't count against the cap. Definitely worth it.

For this reason, the players really have no huge reason to not want to allow this.