PDA

View Full Version : How wide is Dallas' window?

shep33
06-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Congrats on the Mavs winning the championship, well deserved. Deepest team I've seen in a long long time.

Now to the question at hand... do they have what it takes to be a dynasty?

Let's take into account that Stevenson, Peja, Barea, Chandler, and Butler are all free agents.

The Mavericks had the highest salary this year (tied with the Lakers). I really hope that Chandler re-signs with them, teams however are going to throw ridiculous sums of money at both he and Barea. Haywood's contract is kind of a killer in that regard. Butler I'm guessing is gone, just because of his knee injury and Dallas not wanting to take the risk in re-signing him.

Now look at age:

Jkidd will be 39
Dirk 33 in a few days
Marion will be 34 by next year's playoffs
Terry will be 34 in September

Do you guys think this Dallas team can be a dynasty? How many years do they have left with this core?

For me, I think next year they have a great shot.

MFFL==FML
06-13-2011, 02:47 AM
Great players love being on championship teams. I STRONGLY believe Dallas will be getting at least one of: Dwight Howard/Chris Paul/Derron Williams. Obviously their window will be opened further, but as of right now (assuming we don't get any good players) I think we have 1-2 more seasons of beasting.

Iron24th
06-13-2011, 02:49 AM
It was their better run for sure,they were hungry as hell,I think they still have one or two more runs in them,it all depends on if they're satisfied with only one title,and how others teams look like next year,like miami,lakers,bulls,thunder,blazers...

shep33
06-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Great players love being on championship teams. I STRONGLY believe Dallas will be getting at least one of: Dwight Howard/Chris Paul/Derron Williams. Obviously their window will be opened further, but as of right now (assuming we don't get any good players) I think we have 1-2 more seasons of beasting.

I really see Howard going to the Nets, but that's just my opinion so it doesn't mean anything. Dallas can't really offer anything trade wise to get Howard or Williams, and financially its going to be tough because they'd basically have to blow up the team to get those two guys.

I think Dallas proved though, that you don't need superstars to win it all.

Saad
06-13-2011, 02:51 AM
I said 1 because you never know what can happen in the playoffs. e.g: Lakers getting Swept. Grizzlies, etc. So they might be able to make another run, even if people think that they are done.

Catfish1314
06-13-2011, 02:55 AM
Without Chandler, they won't contend. He was a huge difference-maker for them in the Finals and throughout the postseason. If they keep Chandler and Barea, the Dirk-Terry-Kidd-Marion core will be a contender next year.

IDB Josh M
06-13-2011, 02:56 AM
The question is, how long can dirk be the top guy for Dallas? I dont know why people are big on him because he finally won the title. Congrats to him for a well deserved title, but he's not THAT fabulous. This title and Finals MVP will escalate Dirk from All Star to Superstar though.

Anyways, someone will need to step into the spotlight in Dallas eventually. By Eventually, I mean in two years. The only young guy that Dallas has that plays well is JJ Berea, and is Mark Cuban ready to make him the heir apparent to Dirk? Nope! Dallas needs another superstar, or superstar calibur player or else the window to another championship will close, and stay closed.

Ebbs
06-13-2011, 02:57 AM
They have one more minimum, Always got to give the camps their due. Two years is to far to speculate no doubt with the amount of FA this summer and Cuban at the helm the team will look alot different.

Ebbs
06-13-2011, 02:58 AM
The question is, how long can dirk be the top guy for Dallas? I dont know why people are big on him because he finally won the title. Congrats to him for a well deserved title, but he's not THAT fabulous. This title and Finals MVP will escalate Dirk from All Star to Superstar though.

Anyways, someone will need to step into the spotlight in Dallas eventually. By Eventually, I mean in two years. The only young guy that Dallas has that plays well is JJ Berea, and is Mark Cuban ready to make him the heir apparent to Dirk? Nope! Dallas needs another superstar, or superstar calibur player or else the window to another championship will close, and stay closed.

Well Beaubois is pretty young. But Dirk has been a superstar for a lot of years lol. And Dirk didn't show a ton of fatigue this year lol.

shep33
06-13-2011, 03:02 AM
They have one more minimum, Always got to give the camps their due. Two years is to far to speculate no doubt with the amount of FA this summer and Cuban at the helm the team will look alot different.

Yeah, this Maverick team will look a lot different I think. Even as a Laker fan, I want Chandler to stay in Dallas. I really think a few teams are going to offer him lucrative deals though too (particularly the Knicks).

Has he said anything about staying yet? I'm worried that Haywood's contract ruins things.

Ebbs
06-13-2011, 03:06 AM
I don't see the motive for him to leave. Cuban will pay him no doubt. He has never been stingy before. And they won a championship.

shep33
06-13-2011, 03:15 AM
I don't see the motive for him to leave. Cuban will pay him no doubt. He has never been stingy before. And they won a championship.

I guess the new CBA will determine a lot of that too. Without Stevenson, Chandler, Peja, Barea, Butler or Cardinal, they have a salary already of $61 million.

I think he's going to have to take a pay cut, but he's the kind of guy that I think would actually do so if it came to winning

John Walls Era
06-13-2011, 03:26 AM
^ How come when players cry its a bad thing, but in the 90s when MIller cried, they were considered to have a big heart and care for the game.

C-Style
06-13-2011, 03:27 AM
I say 2 yrs... Man the Lakers are gonna put it on them next season!

Sadds The Gr8
because those rules don't apply to rupaul.

NYKnicksAllDay
I think 1, maybe 2 more years.

NYKnicksAllDay
06-13-2011, 03:29 AM
^ How come when players cry its a bad thing, but in the 90s when MIller cried, they were considered to have a big heart and care for the game.

I don't understand it either. It's the NBA Finals, I'd cry too.

Giraffes Rule
06-13-2011, 03:42 AM
To win another championship they'd have to repeat, in my opinion. I don't think that will happen. They're still going to be a 50 win team for 3 or 4 years though, at least.

AsfanSince99
06-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Zero.

The Lakers will rebound and take it next year. And the Mavs might lose Chandler to free agency.

barreleffact
06-13-2011, 04:36 AM

Did Millier cry in the regular season as well? Was Miller singled out by his team as a crier and the reason for losses? Funniest part is, he arguably played better than Lebron the last few rounds

Storch
06-13-2011, 04:51 AM
I don't see this team going away from the playoffs for the next 3 years, at least. The mavs have been competitive for a while now and I don't expect that to change. As far as their best shot at winning it all, i'd give them 2 years. Gotta beat the champs. Good job mavs. :clap:

BlondeBomber41
06-13-2011, 05:56 AM
They aren't going to lose Chandler to FA, no way. They may lose Barea, but I'm hoping not.

Butler will be back on a much smaller deal, he loves Dallas and thats the whole reason the Mavs never traded him for immidiate help at the deadline. They fully intend to bring him back.

I'd say they have a 1-2 year window with the current roster. Dirk, Butler, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Chandler, Haywood, Barea, Beaubois, Brewer and whatever they add to that can give it a decent run for a few more years I'd think.

BlondeBomber41
06-13-2011, 05:56 AM
They aren't going to lose Chandler to FA, no way. They may lose Barea, but I'm hoping not.

Butler will be back on a much smaller deal, he loves Dallas and thats the whole reason the Mavs never traded him for immidiate help at the deadline. They fully intend to bring him back.

I'd say they have a 1-2 year window with the current roster. Dirk, Butler, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Chandler, Haywood, Barea, Beaubois, Brewer and whatever they add to that can give it a decent run for a few more years I'd think.

nykobe24
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM
good thread..i asked this question in another thread but honestly i say 1-2 years..you never know with the nba today and i honestly believe they cant resign both barrea and chandler. One of them is gone imo

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
If Chandler comes back, I'd say 1 more year. If not, they're not going anywhere

JasonJohnHorn
06-13-2011, 09:32 AM
I got to say, I wouldnt be surpised to see at least one guy retire this year. Likely Kidd. Though you never know.

Marion. Terry. Peja. Even Dirk. We've seen how hard it is for an aging team, a great team, like Boston to push through the playoffs, plagued by injury. These guys all seem to be heading into the twilight of their resepctive career. Butler and haywood are both on the wrong side of thirty. These guys need some young legs, or Dallas will be looking at a rebuilding process akin to the Celtics in the mid 90s.

I love Chandler, and I think Dirk can play well for a few years, likely be an effective scorer into his late 30's. I see a lot of these teams in the NBA getting better, and its going to be hard for Dallas to repeat.

But as Rudy T said: Never underestimate the heart of a champion!

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
If Chandler comes back, I'd say 1 more year. If not, they're not going anywhere
NeverMind

Cuban just tweeted that Dirk, Mahimni and Cardinal all plan to resign. Therefore. 5 Straight championships are in order.

Tarheels23
06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
Depends if...

Kidd returns or retires
Chandler leaves or stays
What will Butler do?

Sly Guy
06-13-2011, 10:02 AM
nope, they're a one and done. Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride this year, but there are too many years on their roster to make it to the finals next year or any other after.

ddhulett
06-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Mavs have over 30mill off the books next year...but will resign Chandler, I don't see him taking a hike! He loves Dallas, Loves Cuban and Dirk and come on he just won a championship with them.

This team won without Caron Butler, Roddy Beaubois and Brendon Heywood!

I see us being able to push for a repeat but it wont be easy.

Giraffes Rule
06-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Mavs have over 30mill off the books next year...but will resign Chandler, I don't see him taking a hike! He loves Dallas, Loves Cuban and Dirk and come on he just won a championship with them.

This team won without Caron Butler, Roddy Beaubois and Brendon Heywood!

I see us being able to push for a repeat but it wont be easy.

You're stuck with Haywood, he's signed until 2014 iirc.

mjt20mik
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I think 1 year at most. When JKidd retires, it is definitely going to hurt the Mavs.

RaiderLakersA's
06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I think this was their year. Next year there will be another champion.

shep33
06-14-2011, 04:06 AM
it's going to be interesting with the new CBA. Hopefully they get their guys signed though.

ddhulett
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM
You're stuck with Haywood, he's signed until 2014 iirc.

What's your point?

shep33
06-14-2011, 04:12 PM
What's your point?

He has one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Dallas can't really be players in 2012 if they sign Chandler, Barea, and extend Terry.

Marion- 26 mill over the next 3
Haywood- 34.7 over the next 4
Dirk 63 mill over the next 3

What they do with Chandler is going to be huge. If they sign him for a big deal, then thats it, no big name free agents can go there. The Mavs are at 41 mill already for 2012 and they have 6 total players signed...

Dirk
Marion
Haywood
brewer
Beaubois
Dominque Jones

So no Terry, no Chandler, no Kidd, no Barea, Butler, Stevenson, Peja etc. is added into that salary yet.

If they sign Chandler to a big deal, they have to live with their core. If they don't they'll have a better chance of getting a star in 2012. Very interesting situation in Dallas.

ddhulett
06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
He has one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Dallas can't really be players in 2012 if they sign Chandler, Barea, and extend Terry.

Marion- 26 mill over the next 3
Haywood- 34.7 over the next 4
Dirk 63 mill over the next 3

What they do with Chandler is going to be huge. If they sign him for a big deal, then thats it, no big name free agents can go there. The Mavs are at 41 mill already for 2012 and they have 6 total players signed...

Dirk
Marion
Haywood
brewer
Beaubois
Dominque Jones

So no Terry, no Chandler, no Kidd, no Barea, Butler, Stevenson, Peja etc. is added into that salary yet.

If they sign Chandler to a big deal, they have to live with their core. If they don't they'll have a better chance of getting a star in 2012. Very interesting situation in Dallas.

Terry 1 more year
Kidd 1 more year
Ian Mahinmi 1 more year

I'm not sure what exactly Chandler will be going for but the Mavs will get it done

Heywood is still a valuable player, he is one of our best defenders and if anything happens to Chandler he's the best back up Center in the NBA

I wouldn't doubt there aren't teams out there that would love to have Heywood for 6mil a year

shep33
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Terry 1 more year
Kidd 1 more year
Ian Mahinmi 1 more year

I'm not sure what exactly Chandler will be going for but the Mavs will get it done

Heywood is still a valuable player, he is one of our best defenders and if anything happens to Chandler he's the best back up Center in the NBA

I wouldn't doubt there aren't teams out there that would love to have Heywood for 6mil a year

Sorry I meant the summer of 2012, so really the 2013 season Kidd, Terry, Mahinmi have their contracts end. My bad.

See i dunno about Haywood, I don't think people want his contract in all truth. I think teams will offer Chandler as much as 8-10 per year easy. Teams always overpay for centers, I'd expect the Knicks to maybe do that, maybe New Jersey, Boston etc. may also do that.

justinnum1
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
it closed the other night...

BadBoyPistons
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
They have very little chance of being a dynasty. No chance imo.

But they will contend for the next 2 seasons if they re-sign all the guys they feel necessary

Kidd said he wants to play 2 more seasons.

ddhulett
06-15-2011, 09:50 AM
it closed the other night...

man you talk about Haters, you said the Mavs had no chance against your defense and that we had not seen a defense like Miami before! I tried to tell you that the Mavs would put up a better fight because you called Miami in 5! LOL Boom Champs in yo face!!!

LOL your sig! What about your boy Lebron's 4th qtr?

Carey
06-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Looking at previous payrolls its easily conceivable that Dallas resigns all of their free agents, at least all the ones they want, Roddy B will transition into a more prominent role and give them another scorer that can get his own shot, their coach is still great, i think their window is still very much open. Dirk i think will remain at the level he is for the next 3 to 4 years so i will say that the window is at least that open.

JordansBulls
06-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Next year is it for them and it is mainly because they get Butler and Roddy back.

tyfreaks brotha
06-15-2011, 02:07 PM
^ wait next years there last cuz they have Roddy and Butler???

justinnum1
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
man you talk about Haters, you said the Mavs had no chance against your defense and that we had not seen a defense like Miami before! I tried to tell you that the Mavs would put up a better fight because you called Miami in 5! LOL Boom Champs in yo face!!!

LOL your sig! What about your boy Lebron's 4th qtr?

he will get another chance in the finals next season,

king4day
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
The CBA could really hurt the Mavs. If they throw out a hard cap, then Chandler won't be back. That will be it if that's the case.
If they can bring back he and Stevenson, they will compete for a couple more years.