PDA

View Full Version : the state of the west

JoeyBoy718
06-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Since the days of Karl Malone and John Stockton, there have only been 3 teams representing the West in the NBA Finals, the new champion Mavericks, the former champion Lakers, and the regular season champion Spurs. These teams still have their star players and are still very relevant. Before this season I was predicting that the Spurs would no longer be a playoff team, the Mavericks would no longer be a contender but a bottom seed playoff team, and the Lakers would be in their final year of contention. In my eyes, it was looking like a new West and a new future. Well the way things are looking now, it's looking like these 3 teams will continue to be in the top of the West. It's nice to see the Mavs finally win one, don't get me wrong. But looking back on the past decade and a half, it's pretty much been the same 3 teams and same 3 plus players competing in the West year in year out. Aside from Phoenix's short lived relevancy, it's always and only been the Mavs, Lakers, Spurs. Denver never got over the hump and now their star is gone, the Blazers look like they'll never overcome their injuries, and the Thunder look like the only team who may be able to compete with the M-L-S trio. What do you guys think? Do you predict a few more years of these same 3 teams? Do you think it's a good thing that only 3 teams have been relevant since Jordan was still a Bull? Would you rather see some parity in the West?

LA_Raiders
06-13-2011, 02:24 AM
West Dominates after the Bulls...

Lakers and SA amazing years, now Dallas joins... Those 3 teams are aging but they are smart and will continue to win...

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-13-2011, 03:10 AM
The Lakers will make some moves and ultimately be back in contention soon...probably next season to be honest.

The Spurs are going downhill. Playoff team yes...Contender not really.

The Mavs are the early favorites and have a legit chance to get back to the finals.

The Thunder will definitely be in the mix.

On top of that, there will be some parity as some of the other young teams will be a threat like Memphis, Portland, and others.

Its too early to say how things will go now, but a repeat of this years finals isn't impossible IMO.

210Don
06-13-2011, 03:17 AM
if we can get chandler were contenders again i say we have two more years west is weak

BlondeBomber41
06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
if we can get chandler were contenders again i say we have two more years west is weak

Literally no chance of that happening, so if thats what it takes for you guys to be contenders again you might as well just give up on next season. Tyson Chandler isn't going anywhere. :cool:

JoeyBoy718
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
It's funny that everyone complains about "not another LeBron thread," but those are the only threads that people respond to.

So let's transform this from a State of the West thread to a State of LeBron thread.

Go...