PDA

View Full Version : Will Pat Riley fire Erik Spoelstra and return to the sidelines?

NYSpirit1
06-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Personally, I don't think the Heat would have ever lost this series if Riley was on the sidelines. He knows how to handle superstars and coach them. Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Patrick Ewing, Mourning, Hardaway, Shaq - he coached them all.

The Heat threw a rookie coach out there and in the end, he didn't know how to use his superstars.

Simply, will he fire Spoelstra and return to the sidelines next year?

jetsforever
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
No. His team was 2 games away from winning it all.

Its the first year of a long experiment. He should/will be back.

Cano4prez
06-13-2011, 01:16 AM

Thuis

TopsyTurvy
06-13-2011, 01:17 AM
He actually managed to motivate 3 highly coveted and criticized talents to the point of putting together a run leaving the team just a few victories from a title. X's and O's aside, there's nothing to be ashamed of there.

However, going the forward there's no denying the bar has been raised that much higher for him. This season was a benchmark and he has quite a bit to live up to as a coach.

DeyAce
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM

His team also had the big 3.

Jahari Kavi
06-13-2011, 01:54 AM
I could see Spoelstra getting the boot

FlashMacker
06-13-2011, 02:01 AM
I would love to have Riley coach again and I agree if Riley was coaching they wouldn't have lost this series

smokeosama
06-13-2011, 02:03 AM
I can see it happening, but it really shouldn't. Spoelstra had one of the toughest jobs this season, coaching those 3 egos and an entirely new team. I can respect the job he did, although he had his lapses at times. Riley pulling the rug from under him after coming 2 shy of a title would simply be wrong, but I wouldn't be so naive as to say "he won't do it."

Wrigheyes4MVP
06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
He should.

CityofTreez
06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Riley has won his share of Rings, he's banking on all the Heat fans at this point!

He's not firing anyone!

playmaker_41
06-13-2011, 02:06 AM
i don't like Spoelstra at all, i'm all for Pat Riley to come back

IDB Josh M
06-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Spo should not be blamed for any of this. No matter what he does, in the end its the Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and the rest of the team not making shots, not being motivated, not grabbing rebounds, and not hussling.

20% is the Coach, 80% is the players.

king james
06-13-2011, 02:07 AM
I HOPE SO. I'm so pissed in him that I would even consider a coach that I totally dislike. Phil Jackson. Don't like him but can't deny he wins Titles.

MFFL==FML
06-13-2011, 02:07 AM
No. The Mavericks would have won regardless of who was coach. The Mavericks were hungrier and have a COMPLETE team. Spoelstra did a good job, but his players choked when it matters most (he has a lot of the blame too). It is one season, I think he will only grow as a coach.

The 916 Guy
06-13-2011, 02:08 AM
I think Spoelstra has another year at least. He did get them to the Finals after all.

smokeosama
06-13-2011, 02:09 AM
I HOPE SO. I'm so pissed in him that I would even consider a coach that I totally dislike. Phil Jackson. Don't like him but can't deny he wins Titles.

Phil is done and he definitely wouldn't take his talents to South Beach. :rolleyes:

IndiansFan337
06-13-2011, 02:14 AM
No. If he wanted to ride the coat tails of these players to more titles, he would have done so at the beginning of this season.

He has nothing left to prove on the sidelines.

AsfanSince99
06-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Spo' got out coached big time in the Finals. He failed to make the necessary adjustments that would utilize the big 3 to dominate, especially Lebron. LeBron was a beast in the other series, but was ineffective in much of the later games in the Finals.

As far as Riley replacing him? It depends on what Lebron and Wade wants? We don't know how they really feel about Spo'. He really deserves to be back, but if he isn't, then we know it was because the players revolted.

DamnGoat
06-13-2011, 03:45 AM
No. I don't think Spoelstra's much of a coach, but his team was in the Finals in their first year together. It's not like they lost in the 1st round. As good as the Big 3 are Miami was still a flawed team by having a weak bench and below average players at PG & C...but they nearly won it all that way. If they improve in those areas they'll be even better.

DaBear
06-13-2011, 03:47 AM
He should, but I don't know if he will. Adding more help for LeBron won't help the crownless king's perception anyway.

EaglePride615
06-13-2011, 03:49 AM
spo is anything but a rookie coach

blastmasta26
06-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Considering how close Miami was, no.

Car Ramrod
06-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Why? It wasn't the coach who choked.

He got these three clowns to buy into defense and do it well. Lebron and Wade are all world talents and Chris Bosh is as good a second banana as you can get, but the rest of the team are bench players and thats it. He wasn't outcoached he just didn't have as good a team.

JasonJohnHorn
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I dunno... this team overachieved in my opinion, so I think he deserve some credit. Still, he didnt seem to know how to guide a team to close out games. Miami should have had a stranglehold on this series after 4 games. Instead they were even.

That has to do with Bron, the bench and the coaching. All three have to be better next year if this team is going to win anything. Chi-town underachieved in my eyes. So did Orlando. And I expect both teams to be better next year, as well as Philly, and Boston has at least one year left in them.

Jarvo
06-13-2011, 08:56 AM

Exactly, Scary thing about all this they will be better nxt season because free agents will flock to the heat to try and get a ring. They wont get any superstars but a better bench, PG and C.

Mile High Champ
06-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I would be shocked if he is retained. I think it was title or bust and Riley will make the move fairly quickly.

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 09:23 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that Riley will be the Heat's HC next season.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Spo is Good NBA coach. But some1 need to cut the heat big 3 ego. Some1 need to put them to work and stop the chill till they deliver. That man will be Riley.

SteBO
06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
No. Pat has nothing left to prove to anyone, and Spo is a very good coach. My only issue at this point is how he's going to manage the big three over time. This is year one, but LeBron and Wade can be very fragile mentally, LeBron more so. In times like that, how will Spo be able to manage him? We'll see.

xbrackattackx
06-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Phil is done and he definitely wouldn't take his talents to South Beach. :rolleyes:

Actually thats the kinda team he strives with, Teams with superstars and egos so he can zen them up and get them winning. He would do wanders for Lebron and Wade. I hope he doesn't I mean I want him on our side lines. But Phil could win with those guys no problem.

WadeCounty
06-13-2011, 09:37 AM
the man got out coached, the only thing he always says is mental toughness/ mental stability/ hold on to the rope to motivate the players. There came a point in the game where everyone was just passing the ball to each other not wanting to take the shot even wide open and that was just out of a timeout

sixer04fan
06-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I don't think he's the right man for the job, but he definitely does not deserve to be fired yet.

WeBallin
06-13-2011, 09:51 AM
If Spoelstra gets canned please send him to detroit. He is a very good young coach, an thats an understatment...

justinnum1
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
he out-coached coy rivers and thibideau, he will be back.

JPHX
06-13-2011, 11:12 AM
get the man a real Center to work with first.

synister281
06-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Riley was the puppetmaster regardless, he had his hand so far up Spoelstra's *** he could brush his teeth.

Missing56&33
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Personally, I don't think the Heat would have ever lost this series if Riley was on the sidelines. He knows how to handle superstars and coach them. Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Patrick Ewing, Mourning, Hardaway, Shaq - he coached them all.

The Heat threw a rookie coach out there and in the end, he didn't know how to use his superstars.

Simply, will he fire Spoelstra and return to the sidelines next year?

I agree that if Pat Riley was coaching the Heat would have won this series and faired better in the regular season than they did. But Pat Riley put this team together with longevity in mind with the hopes of building a Dynasty, he felt Erik Spoelstra was his man to coach the Heat to Dynasty status......that's a lot of confidence but IMO the Heat players needed a more experienced coach to get them over the hump and I don't know if Spoelstra has it in him to do that. Pat Riley can't/or won't do it for the long haul but he put the team together now he has to make sure he has the right coaches to lead them to his vision.

You can place a lot of the blame on Pat Riley for losing this series.....and the way he went about it.

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 11:24 AM
get the man a real Center to work with first.
:laugh2:

He has the best SG, SF and PF (arguably) in the game right now.

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
he out-coached coy rivers and thibideau, he will be back.
He didn't out-coach anyone. His team outplayed the Celtics and the Bulls

ManRam
06-13-2011, 11:29 AM
The blame doesn't go to entirely to Spo... obviously...

But he didn't do a great job in the Finals. He didn't find the rotations that worked. He didn't draw up any plays late in the game that worked. He wasn't pressing the right buttons. It just seemed like in crunch time it was 5 guys running around with their heads chopped off. I just feel like he didn't have the authority over the team to get it done. Even listening to him in the huddles...it just wasn't inspiring. Riley is much more authoritative.

And I agree with Havoc...he didn't out-coach anyone these playoffs.

The Heat will get better. You can't build a great all-around team in one off-season. They now have more money to spend on solid role players, and should bring in solid players every off-season from here on out. They can easily upgrade, even just with the MLE, at PG and C...and they will. But coach is another easy upgrade IMO.

Mr Grim
06-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Im actually surprised Riley didnt force him out yet like he did to Van Gundy. If the Heat stumble out of the gate at the begining of next season Im sure Riley will have no problems firing him and coaching.

BritneysBestBet
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
It really doesn't matter. The Heat didn't deserve to win plain and simple. TEAMS win the 'ship not Coaches.

robdesign13
06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
:laugh2:

He has the best SG, SF and PF (arguably) in the game right now.

Best PF? Please. We all know that there are at least 2 PFs in this league better than bosh. And honestly Both Bron and Wade are both SG/SF tweeners. They play the same position.

gwrighter
06-13-2011, 12:11 PM
so what, coach Spo got them to the finals. Remember at the beginning of the season a lot of people were expecting a championship this year. The bar was set high and they didn't reach it. The coaches job is to get the most of out of his roster & Spo clearly didn't do that as the heat seemingly gave up at the end of the 4th yesterday. Coach Spo was clearly out-coached that series.

Coach Spo has got to go!

Havoc Wreaker
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Best PF? Please. We all know that there are at least 2 PFs in this league better than bosh. And honestly Both Bron and Wade are both SG/SF tweeners. They play the same position.
Who cares? He has 2 top 5 players, including #1. He has another top 15 player on his roster. That's what I meant.

8kobe24
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I don't know about Pat coming back to the bench, but I do know that spoelstra is his project, and he might give him another chance...this year was the 1st year together of the trio. But Pat needs to make sure that lebron buys into the system.

artest_kobe
06-13-2011, 12:20 PM
spoelstra is the worse coach of all time, coaching lost them this series, plus d-wade is such a loser.