PDA

View Full Version : Where does Jeff Gordon stand among the all-time greats?

Nymfan87
06-13-2011, 12:34 AM
With his win today, Gordon is now tied for 3rd all time in most career wins and will certainly be in sole possession before he retires. However, it's incredibly doubtful that he ever gets close to 2nd considering he has said he doesn't want to race as long as a guy like Mark Martin, so it's probably safe to assume he's only got 3-4 years left in him before he rides off into the sunset.

To me, it's hard to say where he'll end up because the championship format is completely different than it was for the first 40 or so years of NASCAR's existence. For example, Jimmy Johnson has 1 more championship than Gordon, but I don't think most people would say that Johnson is a better driver than Gordon because of it. Not to take anything away from Johnson, but under the old format there's no way he'd have more than ~2 championships by now, and Gordon certainly would have won in 2008 where he had a commanding points lead at the end of the "regular season" and ended up losing to Johnson by only 50 or so points in the chase.

So, what say you? Is Gordon right up alongside the all-time greats like Petty and Earnhardt? A step below? Does he lose credit for being so dominant from 1995-2001 and then being merely very good since, with only 1 truly dominant year (2008)?

MarkieMark48
06-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Jimmie will forever be "knocked" on for all of his championships being in the chase format. Jimmie did also have huge points leads in 04,05 and 06 just to lose them in the chase and end up losing the championship. Why also do people think he would only have 1 or 2 championships? Does he not run well enough at non-chase tracks?

Anyways where is Jeff among the greats? Personally I think hes top 4. Petty, Earnhardt, Person, Gordon, with Jimmie rounding out the top 5

NASCAR Diva#3
06-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Top 10 for sure. Can't rally compare today's drivers with yesterday's drivers because of all the changes especially the cars themselves. He'll be a first year Hall of Famer for sure.

OC Knights #11
06-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Top 10 for sure. Can't rally compare today's drivers with yesterday's drivers because of all the changes especially the cars themselves. He'll be a first year Hall of Famer for sure.

I completely agree, I would say definitely top 10, but I would go a step further and say he ranks up there with Dale and Petty.