PDA

View Full Version : Could A Player Like Payton/AI/Marbury Make It In Todays NBA??

Rivera
06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I dont mean as far as skills...cause in my book Payton or Iverson or Marbury could play in any era in their primes and do there thing and still be all time greats

but my real question is these 3 players are lightning rod people who seemed to attract attention to themselves and talked alot of trash. And in todays ERA in the NBA with the social media and the way how everything is heavily scrutinized (lebron just looked at dirk the wrong way hes a douchebag) (lebron and wade made fun of dirk being sick) would a player like GP or AI survive? would they get eaten alive by the social media world and how every little thing is scrutinized?

can you imagine #practice #weretalkingaboutpractice #notthegame trending on twitter? or whatever gary payton would say on a court being blown up in the media? im sure gary payton called former NBA players worse things than "looking like a cancer patient" as what KG said to Charlie V.

how do you think these types of players would handle todays era ? would they eventually lash out at people who critizise them? would they actually use it to there advantage and be bigger stars? would it calm down the trash talk on the court of a gary payton?

thoughts?

Tony_Starks
06-11-2011, 02:23 PM
It would be difficult. The social networks would be all over them. Then when you throw in the tmz style of reporting the nba does now and all the gossip sites, they would constantly be getting scrutinized and criticized everytime they sneezed. Especially AI. Imagine if he put out that rap album now? Man he'd be all over twitter, GLAAD would be demanding an apology and wanting him to watch a Glee marathon, there'd be a dozen more "its not cool to say gay slur" commercials... on and on and on.

Hell, AI still gets bashed on psd for being an "overrated chucker" and he's not even in the league anymore.....

NetsPaint
06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
It would be difficult. The social networks would be all over them. Then when you throw in the tmz style of reporting the nba does now and all the gossip sites, they would constantly be getting scrutinized and criticized everytime they sneezed. Especially AI. Imagine if he put out that rap album now? Man he'd be all over twitter, GLAAD would be demanding an apology and wanting him to watch a Glee marathon, there'd be a dozen more "its not cool to say gay slur" commercials... on and on and on.

Hell, AI still gets bashed on psd for being an "overrated chucker" and he's not even in the league anymore.....
:laugh2:

jrice9
06-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Iverson in his prime in today's world would be nuts.

Sixerlover
06-11-2011, 10:49 PM
They'd make it. There would just be a lot more hate, a lot more. But they'd make it

THE MTL
06-11-2011, 11:02 PM
They would make it. It would get to the point where thats their reputation and it wont be real news anymore.

Plus, their skills on the court make up for everything. Iverson and Payton are DEF HALL OF FAME players....and Marbury has HOF talent.

llemon
06-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Payton? No doubt.

KnicksR4Real
06-11-2011, 11:10 PM
if marbury had his head on straight, hed be incredible in his prime. ala derrick rose

desertrat218
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Players the caliber of Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, and Stephen Marbury would make it in any era.

210Don
06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
lol those guys owned the media. well ai and payton marbury got eaten alive but he was weak mentally the other two werent

NSJ
06-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't see how using social media to their advantage would make any player a bigger star. It all depends on what you define as a "star", I guess, is it defined by their play on the court or the stories/news they bring away from it? In my opinion nobody can use the media to become a bigger star. You back it up by what you do on the court, not what you say about it before/after. If you talk some **** while playing and get in the head of your opponent than great, you've used **** talking to your advantage. I'll tell you what though, a play like Jordan (since people like to compare) wouldn't let **** talking get to them so it shouldn't make a difference. Iverson and GP in my mind were great players (marbury was good but not on the same level) that would've been labeled as great players with or without their controversies.

albertc86
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Derrick Rose reminds me of a more athletic version of Marbury. I see a lot of similarities in their game.

Chronz
06-11-2011, 11:50 PM
lol those guys owned the media. well ai and payton marbury got eaten alive but he was weak mentally the other two werent

I liked the way Marbury handled the media, I still remember when he took the Suns to the playoffs and all you heard was how much more of a leader Marbury was. Yet whenever people asked him what's been the biggest change in his game he would respond as if they were crazy. NOTHINS CHANGED

Chronz
06-11-2011, 11:51 PM
if marbury had his head on straight, hed be incredible in his prime. ala derrick rose

I think Marbury couldve used the rule changes more than his own sanity

Chronz
06-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Derrick Rose reminds me of a more athletic version of Marbury. I see a lot of similarities in their game.

Yup, Rose isn't cocky or outspoken but the 2 have alot in common. Rose vs Westbrook reminds me of the Francis vs Marbury talk in the early 2000s, only these guys play in an easier league alongside more talent.

Rose is faster and probably taller, also better defensively but Marbury could pass and shoot I think.

LakersIn5
06-12-2011, 02:48 AM
oh how i miss the early 2000s. iverson tearing up the league and marbury passing it to amare then gonna cry after amare dunks. DAMN!

MTar786
06-12-2011, 03:01 AM
IMO allen iverson would deal wit a little more hate. payton would be even more loved due to his remarkable defense and his trash talk was always fun to hear because of the fact that he could easily back it up.
play wise i say they'd all play at an even higher level than they did back then. there are no mutombos, mournings, shaqs, yaos, ewings, robinsons, duncans, wallaces and soon garnetts to deal with anymore in the paint. rondo, williams and paul are the only star pg's that i would say could defend them.

btw when i say 'them' im talking about payton and iverson.. starbury was good but nothing special. rose is better than starbury ever was, so is williams paul and rondo

sventhedog
06-12-2011, 03:35 AM
i'm surprised you included payton with marbury and iverson. payton is more like garnett, they love to talk trash but they certainly have their skills to back it up. trash talking isn't necessary though. but they can get away with it because of how the media equates trash talking with intensity. lol. both played great and learned to be role players as they got older.

on the other hand, marbury and iverson are two talented players who didn't really realize that you need to use your brain some times. both are talented small players who were volume shooters. i personally never really liked these kinds of players because i think they hurt the team in order to score. but you've got to give them credit for being scorers regardless of their small size. we also have to consider that at their time, the league was generally slower, so it's relatively harder to score at a halfcourt set. too bad both of them wasn't smart enough to realize what they needed to do to stay in the league.

as far as what you were saying, payton talked trash which, as with garnett's case, is manipulated by media to be equated with ferocity and intensity.

marbury and iverson's cases were different, no people can justify their actions, not even the media. their talent will forever be shadowed by their lack of IQ. you always hear these small players had the biggest heart, maybe they had the smallest brains.

LA_Raiders
06-12-2011, 03:37 AM
lol, yes, all day

ldawg
06-12-2011, 07:26 AM
silly question

Rivera
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
i dont mean as far as skills and talent...thats my first sentence....theres no doubt based on talent alone AI/payton/marbury would be beast in the league

but will this era of social network eat them alive? especially the things AI/marbury say and how much trash GP talks.....tony starks actually answered the question the best

ne3xchamps
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
There would be alot more scrutiny with those 3, but yeah they wouldn't have a problem in this era IMO. Doesn't matter with the social sites and ******** NBA/TMZ paparazzi media all over the place, these 3 would talk ****! The hate would be off the charts for those guys though. You could also throw in Reggie Miller who was notoriously known as the biggest trash talker.

JayHunter
06-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I think the question should be, Can today's superstar players play in the 80s and early 90s?

Punkindrublic03
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Payton was the greatest trash talker of all time. Used to sit courtside at Sonics games sometimes and Payton would NEVER shut his mouth while on the floor... always talking trash to who he was defending, or the player trying to defend him. :)

Rivera
06-12-2011, 10:51 AM
can you image the post on PSD and the things said on twitter/facebook and ESPN that matter if reggie miller did the choke to spike today

such things as classless idiot moron douchebag every term would get thrown at reggie for doing the choke sign to spike

but yet it is one of the greatest moments in playoff history...twitter/facebook and even PSD would have made the reggie miller spike lee moment from alltime great to all time bad

Rivera
06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Payton was the greatest trash talker of all time. Used to sit courtside at Sonics games sometimes and Payton would NEVER shut his mouth while on the floor... always talking trash to who he was defending, or the player trying to defend him. :)

:nod: GP was one of the best

and im sure GP said much worse things to people than "you look like a cancer patient" on the basketball court and todays nba player would get mad at whatever GP said about him on the court and blow it up on twitter :pity:

smith&wesson
06-12-2011, 11:02 AM
gary "the glove" payton was one of the best defensive pg's of all time offcourse he would make it in todays nba. One of the best pg's of our time.

iverson, would be better off as a shooting gaurd in todays nba. I would put him on the orlando magic and see how he does with dwight, I think he would hold his own and more. . . in his prime offcourse iverson would still be unstoppable on offense.

marbury, had all the talent in the world but was mentally soft.

KingPosey
06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
i think this is a bad question. First off all, all 3 are too contemporary to ask this question. I mean AI and Star, are really from "today's" NBA, and Payton is not far removed enough to were his skill doesnt bridge the time gap. Not to mention GP is probably one of the best 3 or 4 PGs to play in the last 20 years,

smith&wesson
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
:nod: GP was one of the best

and im sure GP said much worse things to people than "you look like a cancer patient" on the basketball court and todays nba player would get mad at whatever GP said about him on the court and blow it up on twitter :pity:

trash talking is one thing, but charlie V actually has a disease. and I beleive it was garnet who said he looked like a cancer patient. thats not trash talking thats straight up dark and ignorant humour.

gary payton trash talked sure, to say he would say worst then somthing like that is a streatch. that is a mean and ill willed thing to say to someone with an illness.

KingPosey
06-12-2011, 11:06 AM
I dont mean as far as skills...cause in my book Payton or Iverson or Marbury could play in any era in their primes and do there thing and still be all time greats

but my real question is these 3 players are lightning rod people who seemed to attract attention to themselves and talked alot of trash. And in todays ERA in the NBA with the social media and the way how everything is heavily scrutinized (lebron just looked at dirk the wrong way hes a douchebag) (lebron and wade made fun of dirk being sick) would a player like GP or AI survive? would they get eaten alive by the social media world and how every little thing is scrutinized?

can you imagine #practice #weretalkingaboutpractice #notthegame trending on twitter? or whatever gary payton would say on a court being blown up in the media? im sure gary payton called former NBA players worse things than "looking like a cancer patient" as what KG said to Charlie V.

how do you think these types of players would handle todays era ? would they eventually lash out at people who critizise them? would they actually use it to there advantage and be bigger stars? would it calm down the trash talk on the court of a gary payton?

thoughts?

And this just seals the fact that i dont get how u even asked the question?

Media shmedia, they were too good in their primes to not be all stars because of the media.

And I dont even like AI

Rivera
06-12-2011, 11:11 AM
i think this is a bad question. First off all, all 3 are too contemporary to ask this question. I mean AI and Star, are really from "today's" NBA, and Payton is not far removed enough to were his skill doesnt bridge the time gap. Not to mention GP is probably one of the best 3 or 4 PGs to play in the last 20 years,

gary "the glove" payton was one of the best defensive pg's of all time offcourse he would make it in todays nba. He would be an all star imo.

iverson, would be better off as a shooting gaurd in todays nba. I would put him on the orlando magic and see how he does with dwight, I think he would hold his own and more. . . in his prime offcourse

marbury, had all the talent in the world but was mentally soft.

again read the first sentence

im not talking about skills....do you think AI or Marbury would have the patience to deal with todays social media? you think they could handle the lebron type hate? (o crap lebron sneezed he made fun of dirk) (o crap lebrons girl cheated on him lets hate on him ) and yes i cant help but to poke a joke at lebron

but when AI was going through his personal and family problems dont you think the AI haters on twitter would have blown up and made similar jokes about AI that they do to lebron? and you think AI or Marbury or Payton would put up with it?

and when AI came out with his rap album...can you imagine the hate? AI gets hated on PSD today and he doesnt even play imagine when he was in his prime?

can you imagine lebron doing the choke that reggie miller did to spike and the ridicule lebron would get? if reggie did it today he would have gotten hated on and one of the best playoff moments of all time would be ruined by todays social network and it would be villified

Rivera
06-12-2011, 11:17 AM
trash talking is one thing, but charlie V actually has a disease. and I beleive it was garnet who said he looked like a cancer patient. thats not trash talking thats straight up dark and ignorant humour.

gary payton trash talked sure, to say he would say worst then somthing like that is a streatch. that is a mean and ill willed thing to say to someone with an illness.

sure but can you imagine what GP said to sam cassel? can you imagine what GP said sam cassel looked like? and im sure it was worse than you look like an alieen

but back then trash talked stayed on the court no matter what...cause it was trash talk and what happened on the court was supposed to stay on the court....was it insensitive of garnett? yes

but did charlie break an unwritten basketball rule by b******* and moaning about someone trying to take them out of there game? damn right charlie broke an unwritten basketball rule and anyone who plays knows trash talk on the court stays on the court and if you dont like it then deal with it like a man on the court dont complain and look for sympathy over twitter

Brooklyn Mets
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Players the caliber of Gary Payton, Allen Iverson, and Stephen Marbury would make it in any era.

this

Stuckey#3
06-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Lebron and Wade saw a news crew and saw an opportunity... that **** had nothing to do with social media.

Players like AI and Payton would have done fine if they grew up in the digital age because they would have adapted. They were outspoken but not stupid.

AI's problems stem mostly from substance abuse and relationship issues anyway.

As far as the KG-CV thing... I'm a Pistons fan and I will tell you right now that CVil is emotional to the point of being insane. KG is a dipshit and deserved the response he recieved. Some things should stay on the court; and maybe CVil shouldn't have vented via twitter... but it's just another source of media. If anything it gives athletes an opportunity to clarify and say things that are not just taken out of context (like the DRose Steroids ********).
If it came out in the print-media that Payton had made an AIDS joke to Magic back in the day how do you think that would turn out?

HouRealCoach
06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
If the Heat had a prime Gary Payton starting they would have won 75 games... Same goes for Celtics(without injuries), Lakers, Mavericks, Bulls(Rose at SG)

Rivera
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
If it came out in the print-media that Payton had made an AIDS joke to Magic back in the day how do you think that would turn out?

but back in the day things like this wouldnt be made public...because the trash talk on the court stayed on the court

i wouldnt even doubt GP would say something like that to magic but magic certainly would never air it out on twitter or "leak" it annoynmusly to the print media because thats not how things were handled back in the day

today you have teammates (such as the ohio state terrele pryor/jim tressel mess) willing to talk to ESPN reporters basically snitching out pryor as long as there identity wouldnt be given out

this wouldnt fly in the 80/90s era of the nba....

SportsFanatic10
06-12-2011, 04:01 PM
if guys like artest can make it i'm sure they'd be ok. would make for good entertainment and probably a few fines here and there though haha.

bmd1101
06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

thoughts?

Payton would use it to his advantage, he had a nack for gettin players off their game by runnin his mouth. I doubt even today Payton's love of trash talk could be tamed.