PDA

View Full Version : The biggest surprise of the postseason: Marion?

DenButsu
06-11-2011, 12:14 PM
There have been a truckload of surpises in these playoffs. Everyone knows what they are, so I won't bother listing them.

But to me, and it is far and away the frontrunner without any contenders, the performance of Shwawn Marion has just dropped my jaw.

He had all but disappeared for at least two or three years. He had become a nobody in the NBA, more or less.

But now?

He is one of the (if not "THE") most integral players on a Dallas Maericks team which al of a sudden has found iself in the driver's seat.

gwrighter
06-11-2011, 12:18 PM
The Griz looking like contenders is the biggest surprise to me.

BlondeBomber41
06-11-2011, 12:19 PM
He has disappeared if you were expecting him to put up 20/12 like in the PHX system. He still puts up solid numbers for a slower paced team, shoots a great percentage and gives the Mavs a post presence and as a slasher.

Not to mention he is still an excellent defender, which people forget. Its like because he doesn't put up 20 a game anymore people think he also forgot how to lock people down.

FriedTofuz
06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
There have been a truckload of surpises in these playoffs. Everyone knows what they are, so I won't bother listing them.

But to me, and it is far and away the frontrunner without any contenders, the performance of Shwawn Marion has just dropped my jaw.

He had all but disappeared for at least two or three years. He had become a nobody in the NBA, more or less.

But now?

He is one of the (if not "THE") most integral players on a Dallas Maericks team which al of a sudden has found iself in the driver's seat.

I really disagree with you. The biggest surprise of the postseason was the memphis grizzlies. They took out the 1st seed spurs and put up a very good fight with the Oklahoma thunder. If you meant the nba finals, i disagree once again. I believe lebron has been the biggest surprise because of how poorly he has played and for his inability to score and carry his team in the 4th quater.

As for marion, he has always been a good defensive player who excells with a good pg. He had always been a great player. He's just stepping up and playing better. It isnt surprising or jaw dropping because he was always a good player, and hes producing at the right time.

KnicksR4Real
06-11-2011, 12:36 PM
id say the girzz

Cano4prez
06-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I'll go with the Grizzlies as well

Chronz
06-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I really disagree with you. The biggest surprise of the postseason was the memphis grizzlies. They took out the 1st seed spurs and put up a very good fight with the Oklahoma thunder. If you meant the nba finals, i disagree once again. I believe lebron has been the biggest surprise because of how poorly he has played and for his inability to score and carry his team in the 4th quater.

As for marion, he has always been a good defensive player who excells with a good pg. He had always been a great player. He's just stepping up and playing better. It isnt surprising or jaw dropping because he was always a good player, and hes producing at the right time.

Your not surprised that a perennial playoff choker is playing well?

yanks08
06-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I'll go with the Grizzlies as well

grizz

knickfan4life
06-11-2011, 12:57 PM
i see what he's saying... a lot of times a guy like marion who is reaching that older stage is shown up by the younger more athletic opposing guy... but marion is putting up lebron-like numbers in this series and that has made my jaw drop a couple of times... no homo... i think its bin his consistant play in this finals series that has dallas up 3-2 right now...

good work marion... good work lebron for well, proving me right all along lol

Sadds The Gr8
06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
i don't know if he's biggest of the postseason but he's surely the biggest surprise of the finals. definition of flying under the radar. he gets absolutely no recognition or credit at all and he's played so well

justOmazing
06-11-2011, 01:33 PM
1st Grizz run has to be the biggest
2nd was the total collapse of the Lakers
3rd has been JJ Berrea

And I'm personally not sure how Marion, a veteran who has proven success, can be called a surprise. He never "disappeared", he just didn't get the national attention he had when he was playing with the Suns in the playoffs. He has always been underrated as a defender (by some).

smith&wesson
06-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I always did like marion and knew that he could contribute to a contender. but he has surpassed expectations in this series. this biggest task is gaurding lebron and it looks like he has done a great job. just based on that im a bit suprised. also him adding a scoring punch has been a bonus!

justOmazing
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Your not surprised that a perennial playoff choker is playing well?

choker? what are you talking about? Marion hasn't choked? If you compare his season versus playoff averages in his career, they are virtually the same, sometimes better. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/career_stats.html

justOmazing
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I think people have just forgetten about Marion. He isn't playing any better than he was during the season. Numbers dont lie. Compare his numbers and then tell me there's some huge difference. I just can't agree: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/index.html

Let's not forget that we haven't seen much of Marion because he missed the playoffs in 08-09 wit hthe Heat, then again with Toronto in 09-10. Then, the Mavs were knocked off early last year. Compared to his days with the Suns, his numbers are significantly lower.

Not sure there's anything to be so surprised about. What's the big deal?

Only thing I can think is that he happens to be the beneficiary defender of Lebron's 4th Quarter choking here in the finals.

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2011, 02:26 PM
marions been good its true people forget hes a good player. i liked him in his short stint with miami. but the surprise of postseason is the grizz or maybe the mavs as a team playing clutch and sweeping the lakers now 1 win away form the title. i remember goerge karl i think it was saying he wanted to play them round 1 lol.

DenButsu
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
I think people have just forgetten about Marion. He isn't playing any better than he was during the season. Numbers dont lie. Compare his numbers and then tell me there's some huge difference. I just can't agree: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/index.html

Let's not forget that we haven't seen much of Marion because he missed the playoffs in 08-09 wit hthe Heat, then again with Toronto in 09-10. Then, the Mavs were knocked off early last year. Compared to his days with the Suns, his numbers are significantly lower.

Not sure there's anything to be so surprised about. What's the big deal?

Only thing I can think is that he happens to be the beneficiary defender of Lebron's 4th Quarter choking here in the finals.

I'm not necessarily strictly talking numbers. For one thing, the timeliness of some of his shots has been really critical. It's been more than a few times in the Finals that he's ended up with the ball in his hands with under 0:05 left on the shot clock, and he's been draining those like clockwork. So even if he's not scoring more (and to tell you the truth, I didn't even look at the stats before posting this thread), he has just been bedrock reliable at key moments in games. That's one of the things that stands out, to me.

Another is his defense of LeBron and Wade, and Kidd deserves a big share of the credit (and surprise) there as well. Of course, the fact that the team as a whole is playing fantastic help defense is probably the most important factor. But they're basically running a man-to-man defensive scheme with Marion and Kidd bearing the two most difficult assignments (to understate it quite a lot). The fact that they've essentially squelched the season's clutchest team in clutch time is something I never saw coming. I'd have assumed that if Dallas were to win games in the series it would be by simply overwhelming the Heat offensively, but really it's their defense that's been the revelation.

Overall, after Marion got traded to the Heat he went from one of the league's more often talked about players, as a key component of the Suns, to basically... irrelevance in the league. Not completely, but at least in comparison to the impact he'd been making before. So the extent to which he's making a difference in the postseason, and especially in the Finals, just really jumped out at me.

As for the Grizzlies, I totally understand why people would cast a vote for them as most surprising, if for no other reason than it would have been hard to predict. But they've been amassing some really nice talent on that roster for quite some time now. The most surprising thing about Memphis to me is that they did it without Rudy.

LakersMaster24
06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Biggest Surprise? One word...Lakers.

towlsmoke420
06-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Lakers. than lebrons mortal performances

Phenomenonsense
06-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Lol lebron disappearing was surprising to you?

Chronz
06-11-2011, 09:31 PM
choker? what are you talking about? Marion hasn't choked? If you compare his season versus playoff averages in his career, they are virtually the same, sometimes better. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shawn_marion/career_stats.html

Choked, locked down, disappeared, underperformed, whatever you want to call it I could always count on him being the reason his teams lost or why they almost lost to inferior talent. Odom regularly made him his *****, Bowen completely eliminated him. Even last year with RJ on him he sucked. I remember him never showing up in elimination games.

As for your statistical claim, he had a nice 3 year run during his prime where he came close but never exceeded his regular season play. Which is typical in the playoffs but the dropoff he displayed in every other playoff series before Nash he really fell off a cliff from reg to post play .

koreancabbage
06-11-2011, 09:37 PM
marion has been awesome, no doubt about it.

dodie53
06-12-2011, 09:30 AM
grizz

naztrack
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
1st Grizz run has to be the biggest
2nd was the total collapse of the Lakers
3rd has been JJ Berrea

And I'm personally not sure how Marion, a veteran who has proven success, can be called a surprise. He never "disappeared", he just didn't get the national attention he had when he was playing with the Suns in the playoffs. He has always been underrated as a defender (by some).

This guy.....he gets it :clap:

m26555
06-12-2011, 11:47 AM
I think the Lakers getting swept was easily the biggest surprise.

FriedTofuz
06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
How does marion choke? last i check the whole mavericks team choked last year in the first round. Hes been good, but its not surprising. Whats been more surprising has been the grizzlies, the lakers getting swept, barea stepping up , and lebron choking in the finals..

Chronz
06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
How does marion choke? last i check the whole mavericks team choked last year in the first round. Hes been good, but its not surprising. Whats been more surprising has been the grizzlies, the lakers getting swept, barea stepping up , and lebron choking in the finals..

Nah Dirk was amazing last year, he had like a 12/15 game or something. Marion had not developed his post game by that point.

GREATNESS ONE
06-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Personally it's the Lakers getting swept.

blastmasta26
06-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Marion's been a surprise, but I don't see it as the biggest at all. As many have said, the Grizzlies surging, Lakers getting swept, LeBron struggling, Barea excelling, have all been more surprising occurrences in the playoffs/Finals.

FriedTofuz
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Nah Dirk was amazing last year, he had like a 12/15 game or something. Marion had not developed his post game by that point.

The mavericks team choked because they were a 2nd team. It doesnt matter how good dirk played, his team CHOKED. You dont lose to a 7th seed when you are the 2nd seed.

Chronz
06-12-2011, 09:14 PM
The mavericks team choked because they were a 2nd team. It doesnt matter how good dirk played, his team CHOKED. You dont lose to a 7th seed when you are the 2nd seed.

Any argument centered around simple win loss records falls short of the predictive power in comparison to Eff Scores. The spurs were in fact the superior team by these superior metrics, so from that starting point your premise is flawed.

Even if we pretend you had a point you would still be wrong, its not as if EVERYONE plays poorly unless its a sweep or something. You can still play great and lose, just ask Dwight this year .