PDA

View Full Version : 2-3-2 nba finals format.

jockrider
06-10-2011, 09:58 PM
i feel like this is a disadvantage for the team with HCA, if both teams take care of business for the first 5 games the team with HCA is still down 3-2 i think this puts tremendous pressure on the higher seed as anything can happen the last two games.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2011, 10:00 PM
i don't...do u know how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a row, even if it is at home? If you're in the finals and u have HCA, you should be good enough to steal 1 of the 3 road games, which Miami did. i think it's harder for the team w/o HCA. We'll see what happens.

bholly
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I think the NBA would probably agree to some extent (at least in private) with the general view that 2-3-2 isn't as good as 2-2-1-1-1 - which is exactly why they use the latter for the earlier rounds. There are cost and logistical considerations that come with the finals, though, and the league thinks it's worth the sacrifice.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-10-2011, 10:07 PM
I think they only have it because of the east coast west coast travel. I mean for all the Celtics and Lakers series' it would be exhausting to go back and forth and back and forth.

Chacarron
06-10-2011, 10:11 PM
I think it favors the team with HCA because as someone stated, it is harder to win 3 straight games at home.

llemon
06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
It's a horrible system, but God (Larry Bird) complained, so there you go.

Sadds The Gr8
06-10-2011, 10:13 PM
I think they only have it because of the east coast west coast travel. I mean for all the Celtics and Lakers series' it would be exhausting to go back and forth and back and forth.

that's a good point. but i still hate 2-3-2

spiritBstars1
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Back in the day when teams took buses or even commercial flights, I would agree that it was exhausting. BUT now the players have personal jets, games are spaced out three to fours days apart, and the athletes are better trained. Hell in the bulls series this year, we got two games in seven days... even I could recover from that much time off.

Jahari Kavi
06-10-2011, 10:25 PM
This format is why Im still picking the Heat

AB1984
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't like it simply because it's possible for the team with HCA to play less home games in the series. 2-2-1-1-1 eliminates that possibility obviously

JordansBulls
06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
i feel like this is a disadvantage for the team with HCA, if both teams take care of business for the first 5 games the team with HCA is still down 3-2 i think this puts tremendous pressure on the higher seed as anything can happen the last two games.

It's not really. Because most teams that don't have HCA end up having to win 2 games on the road to win the series.

sixer04fan
06-11-2011, 12:26 AM
2-2-1-1-1 is better, but the bottom line is the team with the better record still gets 4 home games. No matter how you split it, the advantage is still to them.

Storch
06-11-2011, 02:20 AM
I think it's better for the HCA because they don't have to travel as much and they have more games at their home. :shrug:

Kyben36
06-11-2011, 02:40 AM

You still have HCA, its been this way for a while, becuase before the change, there was a series of time where the home court team could not loose. fact is, you still have to win just as many games on the road.

IDB Josh M
06-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Let's change the format. 4 - 3. That would be awesome.

MTar786
06-11-2011, 03:29 AM
i think the nba should actually do this. it would be the coolest thing ever.
1st 3 games @ team with HCA
2nd 3 games away
AND if there's a game 7 it is played on neutral ground. *The nba picks its possible game 7 place at the start of every season sort of like the All star game and if need be game 7 will be played there 5 days to a week after game 6.
it give non NBA cities a chance to watch games of importance. also teams that have no hope or seen a significant game in a long time. (minny, seattle, las vegas, sac town, houston, dallas stadium etc etc etc.)
it also adds more of a vibe and spice to a game 7. the week off gives teams time to psyche them selves up and it gives us fans a wow factor going into game 7 due to the 1 week of waiting.
the fact that the first THREE games are at your home is already enough of an advantage. and i dont think its fair teams from seperate conferences get 4-3 advantage. dallas beat miami both times in the season and played in a much harder all around conference. 58-24 _ 57-25. Put miami in the west and miami would have had a worse record. this way caters to the fact that conferences will never be level competition. so east vs west should not have an advantage in home games. the first three games at the team with the better record is more than enough of an advantage

BTW, this is a similar concept to the champions league in soccer. (the champions league is the most prestigious tournament in all of sports)

* if the nba somehow chooses a place like atlanta to have the game 7 and atlanta had gotten to the finals then lucky atlanta gets the game 7.

mentaloman
06-11-2011, 08:20 AM
i think the nba should actually do this. it would be the coolest thing ever.
1st 3 games @ team with HCA
2nd 3 games away
AND if there's a game 7 it is played on neutral ground. *The nba picks its possible game 7 place at the start of every season sort of like the All star game and if need be game 7 will be played there 5 days to a week after game 6.
it give non NBA cities a chance to watch games of importance. also teams that have no hope or seen a significant game in a long time. (minny, seattle, las vegas, sac town, houston, dallas stadium etc etc etc.)
it also adds more of a vibe and spice to a game 7. the week off gives teams time to psyche them selves up and it gives us fans a wow factor going into game 7 due to the 1 week of waiting.
the fact that the first THREE games are at your home is already enough of an advantage. and i dont think its fair teams from seperate conferences get 4-3 advantage. dallas beat miami both times in the season and played in a much harder all around conference. 58-24 _ 57-25. Put miami in the west and miami would have had a worse record. this way caters to the fact that conferences will never be level competition. so east vs west should not have an advantage in home games. the first three games at the team with the better record is more than enough of an advantage

BTW, this is a similar concept to the champions league in soccer. (the champions league is the most prestigious tournament in all of sports)

* if the nba somehow chooses a place like atlanta to have the game 7 and atlanta had gotten to the finals then lucky atlanta gets the game 7.

i like the idea of the seventh game played at neutral ground, a lot.

but.. first 3 games at home is hard to overcome.

I`m not sure, but i think that never in NBA history a team had recover from a 3-0 deficit in the finals..

2-2-1-1 and last game @ neutral ground seems the fairest way to handle the Finals.

however, i don't like the idea of HCA in the finals at all.

in fact, both teams are champions of their respective conference.

eugene
06-11-2011, 09:17 AM
don't forget that a team with HCA plays two first games at home which determines series outcome very often

Blackjack24
06-11-2011, 10:03 AM
don't forget that a team with HCA plays two first games at home which determines series outcome very often

This would occur in the other format also. The main difference between the two, as stated elsewhere-- is that it's really hard to hold all three of the middle games. Road teams are thus disadvantaged, knowing full well they probably won't hold their own games, and will have to win 2 on the road to win a series instead of 1.

From the NBA's perspective, this was done to maximize marketing and minimize travel. But doesn't it also greatly increase the chances a team wins on the road instead of at home? In an even series, if the underdog wins, it can't be in a home game 6 anymore, as evidenced by what we might see in the current finals. And if the home team wins, and in 5, as is a common outcome, that'll be on the road too.

albertc86
06-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Dude, these two teams are in the finals for a reason. The championship team should be able to win on the road.

utahjazzno12fan
06-11-2011, 10:14 AM
A big draw back is if you do a neutral game 7, that city will get its hopes up just to not even get a game. 2010, 2005, 1994, 1988, 1984, 1978, 1974, 1970, 1969, 1966, 1962, 1960, 1957, 1955, 1954, 1952, and 1951 are the only years there was a game 7. That is 17 times in 60 years. That is also 5 times in the last 32 years. Game 7s just don't happen. You would have a city getting ready for one game that probably wouldn't even happen. You would have a stadium getting ready for one game that probably wouldn't even happen.

As far as home court advantage, all the team has to do is win its first two games at home, steal one on the road and they are sitting on easy street. The Heat really can't complain because they lost a home game. They lost HCA. The Mavs turned around and gave it back. The Heat can't complain now because it is their fault for losing a home game and they have to win two, but they get to play at home both games.

Heater4life
06-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Yes and no. Although its difficult to play 3 on the road and give the lower seed an advantage, its difficult for that lower seed to closeout on the road.

it evens out

NYKalltheway
06-11-2011, 10:17 AM
It should be 2-2-1-1-1 imo

Hawkeye15
06-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I hate 2-3-2. In a tied series, game 5 is the most pivotal game, and it should be played in the arena of the team that earned HCA. They claim its because of the travel involved. Um, the charter jets of the NBA teams are nicer than nearly everyone here's apartment/house.

2-2-1-1-1 is how it should be.

MTar786
06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
i like the idea of the seventh game played at neutral ground, a lot.

but.. first 3 games at home is hard to overcome.

I`m not sure, but i think that never in NBA history a team had recover from a 3-0 deficit in the finals..

2-2-1-1 and last game @ neutral ground seems the fairest way to handle the Finals.

however, i don't like the idea of HCA in the finals at all.

in fact, both teams are champions of their respective conference.

i would also prefer it to be 2-2-1-1-1 (game 7 on neutral ground)
but the reason the nba doesnt do that is because of the non stop flying between each coast.
3-3 isnt bad because team have only won all 3 games 3times in finals history i think.
so lets just say its each team defending home 2-1 which is the usual scenario. that brings things down the the deciding game 7. the last team to win all 3 at home were the heat in 06'. the pistons in 04' and then all the way back in the 80's. it rarely happens.
home teams MORE than likely win 2 of te 3 games at home. it almost makes game 7 guaranteed to happen unless one team clearly proves to be better and wins convincingly and deservingly (ex.2 of 3 at home then 2 of 3 on the road)

jp611
06-11-2011, 11:27 AM
2-2-1-1-1 is the way it should be

heyman321
06-11-2011, 11:56 AM
it should be 1-1-1-2-1

J4KOP99
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM
It's for the press...so they don't have to pay as much money. Travel 3 times during a series instead of 5 times.

Yanks All Day
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
it should be 1-1-1-2-1

Ah, the classic 6 game series. Where a champion is always decided and a tie is an impossibility.

Anyway, I like the format now. Even with Miami down, for example, they're still in position to have 2 games at home where they have home crowd and a place where role players are usually at their best. If Miami wins game 6, then they still get a game 7 on their home court, yet they get to sleep in their own beds and go through a normal routine, rather than life on the road getting ready for the biggest game of their lives. It's still an advantage for the home team, even if they're down 3-2.

mttwlsn16
06-11-2011, 12:13 PM
i like the guy who suggested diong 4 then 3 :laugh2:

Blackjack24
06-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Dude, these two teams are in the finals for a reason. The championship team should be able to win on the road.

My bad, should've been clearer-- I didn't mean competitively. I don't care where a championship is won, home or road. But from a marketing perspective, it's better if teams win at home- local fan interest is higher. And the 2-3-2 format makes it slightly less likely for that to happen.

ne3xchamps
06-11-2011, 12:40 PM
i don't...do u know how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in a row, even if it is at home? If you're in the finals and u have HCA, you should be good enough to steal 1 of the 3 road games, which Miami did. i think it's harder for the team w/o HCA. We'll see what happens.

agreed. having to go on the road for games 6 and 7 is pretty rough. But dallas beat them in Miami so.........

ne3xchamps
06-11-2011, 12:42 PM

+1..
That would be exhausting going cross country like that every other day, but that's what all the other sports do. Look at the bruins/canuks having to go WAY across country and then some.

SportsFanatic10
06-11-2011, 02:40 PM
i don't mind the format too much. but i just don't like how it is different in the finals only. it should all be the same through out the entire playoffs prefferably the 2-2-1-1-1 in my opinion.

pd1dish
06-11-2011, 02:54 PM
i dont like the 2-3-2 format at all. i also dont get the reasoning behind changing the format in just the Finals rather than having it the same throughout the playoffs. it should stay 2-2-1-1-1 thoughout the playoffs, including the Finals. this allows both teams to protect your homecourt while keeping the HCA team at an actual advantage. if each team protects their home floor, like the OP said, then the HCA team goes down 3-2, when it should be that the HCA team should have the opportunity to go up 3-2 in game 5 at their home floor.