PDA

View Full Version : What type of player/person would LeBron be had he played in college?

ThornMo
06-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I know physically speaking that LeBron James is as mature as anyone in the league. But his mental makeup is very immature from what I've seen of him since he came into the league. From his questionable tweets, to the decision, to his mannerisms (tearing his Cavs jersey off after playoff loss to C's last year), and now to his mocking Dirk being sick... I feel like had he gone to college where a guy like Coack K, Roy, or Thad Matta was coaching him and holding him accountable for his actions, then LeBron would make better decisions as a grown man.
It's hypothetical and doesnt mean anything now that he's been in the league for 7 years, but just throwing it out there

Kashmir13579
06-10-2011, 12:49 PM
This is a legitimate question and sadly it will probably be closed.

nickdymez
06-10-2011, 12:53 PM
The little things that his game lacks would definitely be better.. I think he dribbles good for a big man, actually great for a big man, but he doesnt have much control. His shot needs a little help and he has no post game.. No way Terry and kidd should be sticking this guy in the post.. And he would be a lot smarter in the closing minutes...

jockrider
06-10-2011, 12:56 PM
he's only 26 if he went to college his development would have been accelerated.

BALLER R
06-10-2011, 01:00 PM
i think he would of learned or atleast develop some more skills. i'm not a fan of him but he would be a beast. but then disappear in the final 4

Green Storm
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe he doesn't do THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNuP674T0w&feature=related) so much.

BritneysBestBet
06-10-2011, 01:08 PM
I think he really would have dominated at the college level for sure. As for development...well thats a good question. Is a immature adult always an immature adult? There's no saying he would have "grown up" in college. I think if anything his domination at that level would just make his head bigger then it already is.

ThornMo
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
It may not even be too late for someone to mentor him and show him how to be a grown up. If Spo' gets the boot from Miami, I think Larry Brown could come in and be a perfect coach for LeBron on and off the court

ThornMo
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
I think he really would have dominated at the college level for sure. As for development...well thats a good question. Is a immature adult always an immature adult? There's no saying he would have "grown up" in college. I think if anything his domination at that level would just make his head bigger then it already is.

Yeah, he might have got a bigger head. But he wouldn't get away with these poor antics he's given us in the pro's. He'd be benched to start games and he'd be running suicides up and down the floor in practice. He could of benefited from learning how to represent an institution and an organization with class, which is something they teach at the college level.

BigBlueCrew
06-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Yup, the mods have been on a pro Lebron tirade today.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I think a large part of Lebron's immaturity is due to the environment he's been "raised" in. I'm sure his friends throughout his life have basically been enabling his ego. Had he gone to college and been coached by a coach K or someone like that, I think it could've made a difference. Of course, he would've had to stay more then 1 year, which wouldn't have happened.

albertc86
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I know physically speaking that LeBron James is as mature as anyone in the league. But his mental makeup is very immature from what I've seen of him since he came into the league.

Are we talking about the same LeBron James?

Since he entered the league, he was crowned the "king" and praised as the NBA's golden-boy since Kobe's image was somewhat tarnished over that scandal. During LeBron's first few years, he always said the right things and made his teammates better (still is). LeBron didn't start drawing negativity until he started voicing his frustrations in Cleveland then he started to slip up. Durant has become the new golden-boy but we're yet to see if his nice guy persona is just an act like LeBron's was.

College would've done nothing for him.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-10-2011, 01:26 PM

I don't think it will be. I can't speak for any mods, since I'm obviously not one, but I don't think this is considered a bait thread (whereas I can def see how the other one is considered a bait thread).

Yanks All Day
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Depends. He says he would have been a Buckeye, so he probably plays the Cavs style offense at Ohio State. LeBron would have been the only star, so he would have handled the ball and made the plays. Thad Motta took over in 04-05, and Jim O'Brien was the coach in 03, which would have been LeBron's likely only season in college. It doesn't seem as though there were many great players on OSU that year anyway, so I'm not sure playing one year in Ohio State would have done as much as going to the NBA. Now, if he went to Duke under Coach K, then we have a completely different story. He would have had to worked on the small skills that Krzyzewski loves to instill in his players. All in all, LeBron is still 26, and he still has growing to do. It is very likely that his best years are still ahead of him, which is a very scary thought.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Do you think Kobe is still an immature adult? Because he definitely was when he first got into the league. Maybe he still is, idk. But people don't seem to perceive he is anymore.

asandhu23
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
he would still be a douche, if that's what you're asking?

Hiphopopotamus
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Do you think Kobe is still an immature adult? Because he definitely was when he first got into the league. Maybe he still is, idk. But people don't seem to perceive he is anymore.

Rape/sexual assault charges will grow you up fast, I guess.

Hiphopopotamus
06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
he would still be a douche, if that's what you're asking?

lol

king4day
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I think it would have been hidden. Seems like all flaws in his person were recognized once went to Miami.
If he went to college, everyone woulda loved him cuz he probably leads his team to a national title.
That being said, if he went and stayed for a full 4 years, it certainly would have helped him. Some things are just part of who you are though. You learn as you grow. Not everything can be learned via a third party.

Mambo Kings
06-10-2011, 01:49 PM
He's definitely a child in a man's body and Erik Spoelstra hasn't done a damn thing to change that. I always thought Pat Riley needed to coach Lebron, if nothing else to help toughen him up a bit and grow into a man. Oh well.

The Final Boss
06-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Bryant did attend college and doesn't act like an ignorant clown.

mjt20mik
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow so many hate threads, and I don't even like Lebron.

Kashmir13579
06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't think it will be. I can't speak for any mods, since I'm obviously not one, but I don't think this is considered a bait thread (whereas I can def see how the other one is considered a bait thread).

I was referring to the Wade and James mocking Dirk thread. All of the others were pure garbage but i felt that one was completely thread worthy.

haggis
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
the original terelle pryor

sventhedog
06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
same player with a little more brain probably.

TylerSL
06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
omfg literally EVERY thread in this forum is about Lebron...... Its gets sooooooo old.

heyman321
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM

He did? I thought Kobe was drafted from Lower Merion.

gaughan333
06-10-2011, 08:52 PM
omfg literally EVERY thread in this forum is about Lebron...... Its gets sooooooo old.

Then dont take the time to read/post in them?

NYMetropolitans
06-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Great question. I think college would of been great for someone like LeBron, who seems to be extremely immature.

MalZee24
06-10-2011, 09:54 PM
The little things that his game lacks would definitely be better.. I think he dribbles good for a big man, actually great for a big man, but he doesnt have much control. His shot needs a little help and he has no post game.. No way Terry and kidd should be sticking this guy in the post.. And he would be a lot smarter in the closing minutes...

LOL what? One of the guy's trademarks is backing down on the block and turning into the middle of the paint and getting fouled or shoots the jumper. It's not that Terry and Kidd are stopping him in the post. It's him settling for jump shots when he should just drive in or back those guys down.

MalZee24
06-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Great question. I think college would of been great for someone like LeBron, who seems to be extremely immature.

u live in new york. look at your environment and the people u live around. then think again before u call anyone else immature LOL he's not a knick. drop it.

DeyAce
06-10-2011, 10:03 PM
he'd still choke

TheRunKiller
06-10-2011, 10:53 PM
He'd be the be pretty good in the 1st half but he wouldn't show up for 2nd half.

hype707
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
He would be the best college player since Tyler hasbrough

tredigs
06-10-2011, 11:42 PM

didn't*, and Kobe was/is a FAR bigger "ignorant clown" than Lebron has ever been. Don't kid yourself.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leGDEe1Ls7k

Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raon0XQJDw0&feature=related

Exhibit C: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Those examples could go on for a while, and that's not even in the early years that Kobe was widely considered a little punk.

As for the thread owner, it probably wouldn't have changed much, but who knows. The right coach can do wonders, and I don't think Lebron has ever had a strong coach. No offense, Laker fans...

TheRunKiller
06-10-2011, 11:49 PM
didn't*, and Kobe was/is a FAR bigger "ignorant clown" than Lebron has ever been. Don't kid yourself.

Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leGDEe1Ls7k

Exhibit B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raon0XQJDw0&feature=related

Exhibit C: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_Bryant_sexual_assault_case

Those examples could go on for a while, and that's not even in the early years that Kobe was widely considered a little punk.

As for the thread owner, it probably wouldn't have changed much, but who knows. The right coach can do wonders, and I don't think Lebron has ever had a strong coach. No offense, Laker fans...

:ouch:

Mambo Kings
06-10-2011, 11:49 PM

What Finals are you watching? Lebron is THE story right now. He has completely vanished from relevance in this series, when the franchise needs him the most. He brought this upon himself, making a media storm about his decision to leave Cleveland then having a rock concert where he said Miami could win more than seven championships. Lastly, he's using Twitter, trying to get himself motivated, which is baffling, and that just fuels the fire. He tells a reporter to "watch the film" when he's asked about shrinking in big game situations - then proceeds to shrink in big game situations...

ne3xchamps
06-11-2011, 12:01 AM

Yeah do you blame them? There is at least 2 or 3 lebron threads started everyday. This NBA forum is really repetitive. Lebron is not god people. :facepalm:

Lake_Show2416
06-11-2011, 12:18 AM
That dude just needed a dad to slap some sense into him when growing up