PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Cleveland could have gotten for LBJ?

xnick5757
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Looking back at the Melo trade, Denver got some very good players by trading away Melo who was not going to resign with them. Cleveland, on the other hand, got nothing for losing LBJ. I know that their situations were different (Cleveland was winning) but what do you think Cleveland could have gotten if they had traded LBJ?

JDMVP
06-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Maybe like the Melo package probably the even better question is if the Cavs did try to trade him where could have he landed?

Da Knicks
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
If they would of traded with new york the melo package, i think some teams would of gave more than that package however.

koreancabbage
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
much more than the Melo package. we're talking about one of the best players in the league that can affect every aspect of the team game, defense and offense. and truly help teammates be better. i think he can be very unselfish at times on the court when he needs to be more aggressive and selfish- take these finals for instance- its like he trying to make his teammates beat Dallas instead of using himself at the main lightning rod for offense.

The Final Boss
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't give a bottle cap and piece of lint for that whiny premadona ***** *** flake *** clown.

koreancabbage
06-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't give a bottle cap and piece of lint for that whiny premadona ***** *** flake *** clown.

right, and you have a soccer player in your sig... good one. premadona what?

Sixerlover
06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
We've been over this a million times. Lebron wouldn't have told anyone he'd resign there, so everyone would be trading for a half season rental. Yeah it's Lebron and he's the best in the league, BUT would NYK have given up Gallo, Wilson, Felton and picks if they knew Melo wasn't sure about resigning? Nope.

Teams wouldn't have killed the farm for that except teams that were 100% sure they could have gotten him to resign there.

LongWayFromHome
06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
The problem is nobody would be willing to give up much unless he was willing to sign an extension (like melo).

If he was willing to sign, most teams should have given up EVERY PIECE THEY HAD for him. Its obvious the dude doesn't have the "it" factor but look at what he did with nothing for 7 years.

justinnum1
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
based on the way people here talk about lebron, they could get rudy gay for him:rolleyes:

jimm120
06-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Looking back at the Melo trade, Denver got some very good players by trading away Melo who was not going to resign with them. Cleveland, on the other hand, got nothing for losing LBJ. I know that their situations were different (Cleveland was winning) but what do you think Cleveland could have gotten if they had traded LBJ?

uhmmm...Denver was winning also.

pd1dish
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
even if Lebron came out and said that he might be leaving prior to the trade deadline, i think that Cleveland would have not traded him anyways. they were legit contenders last year and i think that if Lebron would have won a title at Cleveland, he may have stayed, so the organization may have taken a chance to keep Lebron and try to win the title which may have persuaded him to stay.

AnalyzeNShoot
06-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Amare.

Hiphopopotamus
06-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Based on age and talent (if he agreed to sign longterm for the team doing the trading) then there are probably only a handful of guys who teams would consider untouchable in a LBJ trade. Like LBJ is more talented, but perhaps OKC would prefer to hang onto KD. But generally the Cavs could have cashed in huge. But it doesn't really matter seeing as LBJ wasn't signing an extension.

mttwlsn16
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
based on the way people here talk about lebron, they could get rudy gay for him:rolleyes:

corey maggette

Car Ramrod
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM
If I was Cleveland, I would have traded him before his final season there. You offer the max and if he wouldn't commit move on. They were in a bad situation either way. Someone would have bit.

That being said the Knicks knew Carmelo wanted to be there. Lebron gave no hint either way.

Astronaut
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
We could have gotten so much for him..

But seriously, our management would have been burned to the ground if they traded away a hometown star in a potential championship year... Atleast Melo said he wasn't coming back.

After seeing the Dallas series, you guys now know what happened last year in Boston, his stats looked good but on numerous occasions, he threw the game away.

BkOriginalOne
06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Could've gotten Melo and Nene or JR Smith/Lawson.

jiggin
06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
im telling you...LBJ didn't want to have the spot light, he didn't like being the main man in Cleveland, it was too much pressure.

I don't think he would have agreed to go anywhere that didn't have a star of his caliber already on it...to take some of the pressure off.

And since it was a sign and trade type situation...he had all the power and control if a trade happened.

nycsports2
06-10-2011, 12:43 PM

hahaa

Hawkize31
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Corey Magette.

PrettyBoyJ
06-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Lets be serious.. If you're any team in the league you give up anything for Lebron, Abort your plans for the future give all your draft picks and build around Lebron..

ne3xchamps
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
I don't think anyone would have gone for a trade unless there was an extension. Lebron had his mind made up the whole time, so it would have been a waste of resources and time.

Lake_Show2416
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
they could have gotten a nice front court in Andrew Bynum & Lamar Odom :)

ne3xchamps
06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Lets be serious.. If you're any team in the league you give up anything for Lebron, Abort your plans for the future give all your draft picks and build around Lebron..

Good idea and plan, but you wouldn't abort your plans without a minimum of a 5-6 year extension. Without that, your team would be ****ed.

JordansBulls
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Beasley, JO, Chalmers for Lebron. Since he was going to Miami anyway.

feddi420
06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
the sun, the moon, and the stars

philab
06-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Cleveland did trade LeBron ... to Miami ... for two 1st rounders, two 2nd rounders, and a trade exception.

sventhedog
06-11-2011, 12:48 AM

that is if no one has been watching these finals. in terms of generating income, fans, media, revenue, lebron would be a no-brainer. but in terms of winning, a team may be thinking twice now about lebron.

if the team is willing to gamble on him, given that you believe you can give him enough reasons to stay with the team, or stay motivated to benefit instead of hurting the team. he is definitely worth the gamble.

like the nba analysts say, it's impossible to get an equal value for a superstar in a trade. it's more difficult when it's lebron james because it's harder to evaluate the balance of the value you're getting and giving up.

in terms of generating fans and revenue, you'd get a lot so you can give up good players for that. but in terms of winning, motivation, you'd think twice about whether you might be giving up too much.

he is still young and he might live up to expectations in the future.

at the end of the day, potential and talent of lebron's calibre is very difficult to find but they don't always translate to results. and your team is judged by the results, not the talent and potential.

Kyben36
06-11-2011, 12:57 AM
1st pick overall in that years draft, their pick for the next 3 years, and their best player, so, if it was a team like The bulls when they got rose, it would have looked like Deng, 1st over all pick, and their next 3 picks.

or if it was when porltand got Oden, 1st pick, Roy, and their next picks.

omdigga
06-11-2011, 08:10 AM
a solid foundation for the future, while staying in the playoffs... that wht clevland cud have gpt for bron...

PHX2daDEATH
06-11-2011, 08:16 AM
right, and you have a soccer player in your sig... good one. premadona what?

haha n you have one of a guy with his hand on another guy's junk... gay. what..

SchyGuy11
06-11-2011, 09:14 AM
anyone they wanted

FriedTofuz
06-11-2011, 09:32 AM
They would not get fair value. Lebron james is a triple double type player who plays both ends of the floor and is arguably the best player in the league. With clevelands desperation to trade him, teams would take advantage of cleveland, and offer players whos quality doesnt come close to lebrons.

utahjazzno12fan
06-11-2011, 10:18 AM
75 cents because he is only good for 3 quarters. Sorry... Bad joke...

Nikeman
06-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Insert: LeBron sucks, I'd give up **** for him jokes

theheatles
06-11-2011, 10:44 AM
dan gilbert wouldn't have traded LeBron, there was no chance...gilbert would have been too stubborn and arrogant

JWO35
06-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Rodney Stuckey and a 2nd round pick

justinnum1
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
They had the best record in the league at the time, there was no way they were trading him.

hugepatsfan
06-11-2011, 11:31 AM
First of all, trading him would have been dumb. They were screwed if he left, even if they got a Melo-like package back. It made more sense to pray that he had tugs on his heart strings about leaving CLE, even though that was very unlikely. And even if they dealt him, they weren't going to get a substantial package back w/out Lebron signing an extension. And it appears that this MIA trio has been in the back of their minds for a while, so maybe he would have signed the deal w/ MIA. Therefore, a package of Jermaine O'Neil's expiring contract and Michael Beasley was all they could have realistically hoped for IMO.

Lloyd Christmas
06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
What would they have gotten? An entire fanbase that would hate their front office and still love Lebron. Even if they got a decent return the fanbase would never have forgiven them.

Now if Lebron said he wasn't going to resign there then that would be a whole different story.

RipCity32
06-11-2011, 02:30 PM
That was the crappy thing about lebron he was more worried about the publicity of the decision then showing cleveland any respect at least melo let his team know and gave them a chance to rebuild

Il Mago50
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Just to put it into perspective: The Nuggets were not going anywhere with Melo. With Lebron, the Cavs were the #1 team in the league and title favorites for 2-3 straight years. Lebron hadn't really voiced anything about being determined to move on and seemed to want more then anything to bring a championship to the team. There was no way a #1 seeded team was going to trade it's championship hopes and 2nd best player in the league at that time midway through the season.

That being said, had they done a Melo-like deal where Lebron signs an extension with that team, it would've costed any team the future of it's franchise and the GM's left nut.

If the Lakers came calling, probably Bynum, Gasol, and 3-4 first rounders.

If the Bulls came calling, Rose (of last year), Gibson, Noah, and 2-3 first rounders.

I'm really not sure any team in the league would've had enough of an offer to pry him from Cleveland TBA. How can you get a fair return on the best player in the league without getting back at least a top-flight all-star, a few very good players and multiple first rounders.

RipCity32
06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Its the same exact situation if Cleveland would have known lebron was leaving I'm pretty sure they would of traded for something and would of got it ,even to get back the same package the nuggets got back would of been nice to see.

IBleedPurple
06-11-2011, 03:24 PM
We could have gotten so much for him..Www

But seriously, our management would have been burned to the ground if they traded away a hometown star in a potential championship year... Atleast Melo said he wasn't coming back.

After seeing the Dallas series, you guys now know what happened last year in Boston, his stats looked good but on numerous occasions, he threw the game away.

Melo just said he was keeping his options open, same as Lebron was doing. Lebron just let the notion that he was re-signing in Cleveland remain the popular opinion. Both are snakes IMO

Tuck&Rolle
06-11-2011, 03:28 PM

Not true, Melo clearly did not want to be in Denver anymore but he might have been willing to sign the extension with the CBA coming up and could have lost a lot of money. It's the one thing Denver had over the Knicks and they used it.

RipCity32
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Melo just said he was keeping his options open, same as Lebron was doing. Lebron just let the notion that he was re-signing in Cleveland remain the popular opinion. Both are snakes IMO

Melo said that to you not to management

daleja424
06-11-2011, 11:42 PM

why do people continuously get the facts wrong around here... does anyone bother to do any research AT ALL? Come on...we live in the google era. Research is only a tab away...

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/07/10/cavs-agree-to-lebron-james-sign-and-trade-for-draft-picks/

LA_Raiders
06-12-2011, 03:50 AM
**** lebroom

todu82
06-12-2011, 12:30 PM
2-3 1st round picks, a team's best player and the team's small forward plus a bench player or 2.

ne3xchamps
06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
They had the best record in the league at the time, there was no way they were trading him.

especially with lebron dragging cleveland through the mud making it seem he was staying there all along.