PDA

View Full Version : Dirk in the Big 3

GoPacers33
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
What if Dirk hadn't resigned with Mavs and signed with Lebron and Wade in Miami. I think that would make the Heat better offensively but I don't know about defensively.

Starting Lineup-

PG- Mario Chalmers
SG- Dwayne Wade
SF- Lebron James
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
C- Joel Anthony

Record 68-14

Squad13
06-10-2011, 08:35 AM
They'd be quite a bit better.

Duddy
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Bosh is a player who's just entered his primewhile Dirk is leaving his. For the next couple of years, the team would definetely be best offensively. But then what?

uprightciti
06-10-2011, 08:56 AM
i would say they would have around the same record as they did this season

and hypothetically if they were to face the lakers or the spurs in the finals i think they would have lost in a 7 game series

heyman321
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Bosh is a player who's just entered his primewhile Dirk is leaving his. For the next couple of years, the team would definetely be best offensively. But then what?

Not only is Dirk still in his prime, his prime is a lot higher than Bosh's. You won't see Bosh get much better than he was in Toronto. Also, Dirk's skills are based on skill -- you won't lose that silky jumpshot when he's 35. Or 36. or 37or 38. It's not like Dirk drives to the rim a lot or gets rebounds off jumping really, high. He's tall and he's good at shooting.

Pastor Richie
06-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Not only is Dirk still in his prime, his prime is a lot higher than Bosh's. You won't see Bosh get much better than he was in Toronto. Also, Dirk's skills are based on skill -- you won't lose that silky jumpshot when he's 35. Or 36. or 37or 38. It's not like Dirk drives to the rim a lot or gets rebounds off jumping really, high. He's tall and he's good at shooting.

Totally agree!

Not sure how much better they would be though. I am sure there is a statistical way of figuring how many more points they could have scored, however one thing I do know is there is only one basketball out there at one time. He would be great at running pick and rolls with either of those guys, and perfect at drive and kick plays with him shooting.

Pastor Richie
06-10-2011, 12:38 PM
However that is all a mute point since he didnt abandon his team like others we know.

Sorry...Mavs fan and really glad he stuck around!!!

Hawkeye15
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
However that is all a mute point since he didnt abandon his team like others we know.

Sorry...Mavs fan and really glad he stuck around!!!

he didn't have to. He has played with great roster support his whole career, why would he leave?

Ray
06-10-2011, 12:41 PM
As a bulls fan, Dirk was actually the #1 guy I wanted after Lebron this past off season... But we all knew he was never going to leave Dallas.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Bosh isn't a good defender..... Dirk is a better defender and 1000 times the offensive player. They would have won 65-66 games and would be playing probably the Thunder right now.

Pastor Richie
06-10-2011, 01:03 PM
he didn't have to. He has played with great roster support his whole career, why would he leave?

Not sure about a GREAT roster. Lets take away this season for a minute...
Best Center he has played with, again not counting Chandler this year, would be..um...Eric Dampier (Riding the pine on Miami's bench)
Best Small forward...Josh Howard, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler. Howard had his moments, wish Butler was healthy now. Jamison was a scorer for the short time he was here
Guards Michael Finley and Jet Terry. Finley was a good scorer but I am not sure you call him Great. Terry is GREAT when he is hitting his jumpshots. But he is streaky.
Point guards have been Nash and Kidd, unless you are calling a very young Devin Harris great.

I think the point you are trying to make is that the Cavs never put anything around Lebron. Debatable at best. I think the Cavs tried. They brought in Jamison, they brought in Shaq and Mo Williams. I dont propose to know every move the Cavs have made over the years but I know that those stand out.

shep33
06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Their window would be a lot shorter. Wade has 1-2 years left before he starts to slow down, and Dirk is 33.

Lets be clear about something, Dirk is awesome, but he is not a great defensive player at all. It's easier with Chandler back their, but Dirk throughout this series has had some really bad rotations and is not guarding Bosh 95% of the time. Dirk is a gifted offensive player, but he's similar to Pau Gasol on defense... both often get bailed out by their Center.

Hawkeye15
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Not sure about a GREAT roster. Lets take away this season for a minute...
Best Center he has played with, again not counting Chandler this year, would be..um...Eric Dampier (Riding the pine on Miami's bench)
Best Small forward...Josh Howard, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler. Howard had his moments, wish Butler was healthy now. Jamison was a scorer for the short time he was here
Guards Michael Finley and Jet Terry. Finley was a good scorer but I am not sure you call him Great. Terry is GREAT when he is hitting his jumpshots. But he is streaky.
Point guards have been Nash and Kidd, unless you are calling a very young Devin Harris great.

I think the point you are trying to make is that the Cavs never put anything around Lebron. Debatable at best. I think the Cavs tried. They brought in Jamison, they brought in Shaq and Mo Williams. I dont propose to know every move the Cavs have made over the years but I know that those stand out.

I honestly don't think there is any comparison whatsoever to the rosters both Dirk and LeBron have been able to play with before this season. You can't throw a tired old Shaq, and a washed up Big Z (by the time LJ was ready) into the argument. Jamison sucked, and Mo Williams was his second best player. The roster won 19 games this year with essentially the same talent they had last year, minus one SF. If Dirk missed the season, obviously the Mavs wouldn't make the playoffs, but we are talking about a 40 win team.

Regardless, the point stands. Dirk came into a team that had a great owner, and he has had very good rosters around him for years. Why would he leave?

TheWatcher34
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Not only is Dirk still in his prime, his prime is a lot higher than Bosh's. You won't see Bosh get much better than he was in Toronto. Also, Dirk's skills are based on skill -- you won't lose that silky jumpshot when he's 35. Or 36. or 37or 38. It's not like Dirk drives to the rim a lot or gets rebounds off jumping really, high. He's tall and he's too good at shooting.

fixed

blahblahyoutoo
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
not gonna lie.
dirk is better than bosh will ever be.

smith&wesson
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
the heat would have been better with dirk and or even amare. BUT the way bosh has stepped it up in the playoffs you can say the heat are happy with theyre choice. he has done a good job. why think back to fix somthing thats not broken.

Pastor Richie
06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I honestly don't think there is any comparison whatsoever to the rosters both Dirk and LeBron have been able to play with before this season. You can't throw a tired old Shaq, and a washed up Big Z (by the time LJ was ready) into the argument. Jamison sucked, and Mo Williams was his second best player. The roster won 19 games this year with essentially the same talent they had last year, minus one SF. If Dirk missed the season, obviously the Mavs wouldn't make the playoffs, but we are talking about a 40 win team.

Regardless, the point stands. Dirk came into a team that had a great owner, and he has had very good rosters around him for years. Why would he leave?

Hawkeye I am not here to say that the Cavaliers had a great roster, nor am I saying the Mavs roster wasnt better...Top to bottom I think the mavs had a better roster. Agreed that the Shaq of '08-09 wasnt the Shaq of old. (By the way I think I would've taken him over Dampier that year...but that is another story altogehter)

But to say Dirk has always had a GREAT roster around him is over doing it a bit. When it was a "Big 3" of Dirk, Nash and Finley, this team wasnt ready to win a championship. And recently it has been a mixture of different parts...not sure Great.

And by the way without Dirk this year the Mavs were 0-8. Not sure about 40 wins...

JordansBulls
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM

Disagree, the Mavs were garbage before Dirk. Not only that Dirk can do something that Lebron didn't and that is actually bring a title to a franchise he played for most of his career without jumping ship to play with someone who got it done already.

Cano4prez
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Bosh isn't a good defender..... Dirk is a better defender and 1000 times the offensive player. They would have won 65-66 games and would be playing probably the Thunder right now.

You know that's not true at all

fin_frenzy_84
06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Alright it is kind of funny how 90% of the threads in the NBA Forum is about the heat. This is something that needs to be in the Heat Forum

fin_frenzy_84
06-10-2011, 02:27 PM

Bosh is a terrible defender.

Cano4prez
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Bosh is a terrible defender.

Nope, he's average at worst out of all the FA PF's this summer he was the best defender by far

DoJoTheSlasher
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM

LMAO Dirk is a better defender and since when does Bosh play defense? Oh haha he plays for Miami so he is automatically better than any other player in the NBA.

gerber
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
another "what if thread"?

fin_frenzy_84
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
LMAO Dirk is a better defender and since when does Bosh play defense? Oh haha he plays for Miami so he is automatically better than any other player in the NBA.

This

Ebbs
06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Lol at Dirk playing with great support his whole career come on hawkeye. He has never ever had a #2 option.