PDA

View Full Version : The Best NBA Finals Performances Since 1991 (*according to statistical +/-)

JordansBulls
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=9646

Bruno
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I just realized how much Jordan dominated the Suns in '93. Damn.

Wade has been fantastic.

justinnum1
06-09-2011, 06:03 PM
impressive

Kashmir13579
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Wow. That is unbelievable.

Another thing i find interesting about that list is how mediocre Kobe's presence has been in the finals in comparison to Manu Ginobli.

tbone2171
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Lol..so Charlie Ward has had the 22nd best finals performance in the past 20 yrs?! Doh-k!!

s3antana5757
06-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Wade is having the 2nd best series ever.

Bosh is having the 2nd to worst series ever.

DieHardCubFan
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
chris bosh is 211th ranked lol. BTW how do you add pictures and words below your comment? I'm sort of newer and any help would be appreciated!!!

Bruno
06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
^ LOL. In +/- guys.

Nice stat, not the end all.

mohye
06-09-2011, 06:40 PM
this is great for stat junkies..but stats dont always tell the true story..

#50 on the list had just as much to do with the bulls beating the lakers in 91 as did #1...numbers can be flawed and lots of contributions dont show up in the boxscore

PatsSoxKnicks
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
this is great for stat junkies..but stats dont always tell the true story..

#50 on the list had just as much to do with the bulls beating the lakers in 91 as did #1...numbers can be flawed and lots of contributions dont show up in the boxscore

Thats what statistical +/- is trying to measure....at least based on box score inputs (which might seem like circular reasoning). Whether it does a good job or not is a different question. Personally, I like the stat; although there is lots of room for improvement I'm sure.

Plus, there really should've been a minutes cut off. As it is, I'm not sure how good SPM is at measuring single games. Over a season, the results (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613080) tend to look fine (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?page_id=9221) (with a few surprises here and there).

Lol..so Charlie Ward has had the 22nd best finals performance in the past 20 yrs?! Doh-k!!

Look at his DSPM....Thats why he's so high. I will admit though, its tough to see how a PG could have such a large impact defensively.

In any case, there needs to be a minutes cut off, probably at 30 mpg. And as I said to the guy above, SPM is probably not that good for single game results.

^ LOL. In +/- guys.

Nice stat, not the end all.

Not quite. It's much more accurate then regular +/- numbers, which saw Pierce and Garnett lead the league this year. Lebron and Howard were also out of the top 10. At least with statistical +/-, Howard and James were in the top 4 (assuming you don't count Oriene Greene who played 5 minutes).

Voodoo Alchemy
06-09-2011, 06:58 PM
shouldn't the category be renamed to "jordan greatest ever and who cares about the rest"?

Voodoo Alchemy
06-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Wade is having the 2nd best series ever.

Bosh is having the 2nd to worst series ever.

but kobe has 5 rings. can someone explain to me what's the value of stats?

Law25
06-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Do they hand out plus and minus MVPs ? No really i wanna know does that factor in when determining an regular season award or an Finals MVP. Not being funny i really wanna know because if it dosent then why is it even kept.

Law25
06-09-2011, 07:27 PM
According to these type stats Ginobli's 17.8pts 5.8rebs 2.5ast 1.3stls 0blks is better thans Kobe's 32.4pts 5.6rebs 7.4ast 1.4stls 1.4blks ? You can miss me with this b.s lol

tredigs
06-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Do they hand out plus and minus MVPs ? No really i wanna know does that factor in when determining an regular season award or an Finals MVP. Not being funny i really wanna know because if it dosent then why is it even kept.

What does MVP voting have to do with a reasoning for keeping a stat?

I'm not being funny either. I'm genuinely curious why you feel the MVP voting has any bearing on whether or not you should track different stats.

Law25
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
What does MVP voting have to do with a reasoning for keeping a stat?

I'm not being funny either. I'm genuinely curious why you feel the MVP voting has any bearing on whether or not you should track different stats.

Because i feel its an usless stat. If someone puts up great numbers in the 5 primary stats they get awards rather in the finals or in regular season ( depending on wins and loses also). For example the logo Mr Jerry West won MVP in an finals he lost because his numbers reflected his efforts. My question is what is the point of these stats if ther useless. Will it be used at the end of an player career to determine where he ranks all time? Or will +/- be the standard of seeing who was overrated or not despite ther raw numbers? +/- seems extremly useless to me. Will you rank Manu ahead of Kobe alltime because he had better +/- ?

bholly
06-09-2011, 08:45 PM
chris bosh is 211th ranked lol. BTW how do you add pictures and words below your comment? I'm sort of newer and any help would be appreciated!!!

It's called a signature. You need (I think) 100+ posts, then you set it up in your user cp at the top.

Duddy
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Let's go HEAT! Gotta get the win