PDA

View Full Version : Stephen A Smith--Calling you out! about LeBron

stonebari44
06-09-2011, 02:16 PM
You were on ESPN Radio NY yesterday. You said soemthing along the lines of how LeBron was horrible with his performance in game 4 and i agree. You were then questioned of how this will affect LeBron's legacy in the NBA. Pretty much of how he doesn't have that determination of being THE MAN, and wanting the ball alla Jordan and Kobe. You answer was pretty much that he is ok, with not being THE MAN, and wants just to win the Ring. That LeBron is OK that Wade takes over the game, that LeBron is happy being a sidekick on his team but should still get the respect as others because of his talent alone. That LeBron on talent alone should be respected.

This is where i disagree with you Stephen A Smith. I don't agree he should be respected on talent alone. There is a mental aspect to a player that goes for as an intangible. What you led you listeners to beileve is that it doesn't matter that LeBron didn't have his mind on the game, they should fear his ame on talent. Stephen, everyone in pro sports are naturally gifted more than the ordinary human being. In LeBrons case he is more physically talented than his peers,but if he doesn't have that determination to meet his needs and push himself to reach max potential in a game, then yes mental aspect is a big part.

Stephen we all know Jordans greatness. As great as he was he always notched it up 1 or 2 ticks more everytime he played at MSG. Jordan had nothing to prove ,we all knew he was great but he notched it up. I dont care if LeBron wins his 8 championships , it will always be on someone else's coattails. Team mates rode Jordan coattails, Pippen,Grant,Kerr,Paxson. LeBron will always the Pippen of the league.

Stephen if you really think about it ,after '"THE DECISION", NY was really never in play for LeBron. Think about it, he being the man in NY, with all this media? His excuse for not winning in Clev. was he never had a strong #2 option and thats why he choked. Now with a Wade and Bosh on the team, he still puts up only 8 points? He can't handle crunch time , at least now he knows if he has a bad night Wade and Bosh will be able to bail him out.

No one is going to fear LeBron . See what Jason Terry is doing, try to mess with his head in hoping to get his rythmn off of LeBRON. You would never dare to do this to Jordam and get into his head because if you did, you would fear getting him pissed off and getting a 60 point night out of him,so you never talk to him that way.

MoBASS
06-09-2011, 02:24 PM
You must have a very short memory. LeBron dominated against Boston and Chicago. Smh

Tuffgong4
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Stars dominate against everyone.

pables21
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I am a big LeBron fan and have been since his rookie season, but you are right about the mental aspect of the game. There is no doubt that LeBron has the most talent and physical gifts of any player in the league. But that is not enough to rely on, as he sorely lacks in the mental aspect of the game. What good is a player like LeBron, who has all the tools to become the greatest ever, when he shrinks in the biggest moments? How come guys like Dirk and Wade are rising to the occasion when they supposedly don't have the same physical gifts and skills that LeBron possesses? Shouldn't that be more of a reason for LeBron to be the best player in the league?

I love the guy to death, as he has been my favorite player in the NBA for years. And he has been spectacular this season up to this point. I know that he was great against Boston and Chicago, and great during the regular season. But he joined the Heat for one reason: to become an NBA champion, and a multiple NBA champion. This is the stage that he so desired to be on. This is the time for LeBron to step up and cement his legacy and his destiny as one of the all-time greats. I thought he would deliver a classic Finals performance, and he still has time to do so. But up to this point, he has done the exact opposite of that and it has been extremely disappointing to witness. The best player in this league should not be shrinking that LeBron has, and it makes you wonder if he will someday finally realize his full potential, or whether he is wasting his prime years by not seizing the moment.

We have three games left to see what LeBron has left in him. Will he turn it up a notch and lead this team to a championship, all while being a key contributor next to Wade? Or will he continue to have a sub-par series and let an incredible opportunity slip by? It should be incredibly enthralling to see, let's hope he steps it up and delivers.

Yanks All Day
06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Posts like this make me hope LeBron drops 35/12/10 tonight, and I am by no means a Heat fan. It's laughable to think that he couldn't handle being "the man" in New York and that he shies away from the big stage. LeBron didn't go to New York because they will not be serious contenders with the current roster, and probably will not have the means of acquiring any kind of supporting cast to improve that situation, especially under the new CBA. Period.

In game 4, he simply deferred to Wade and Bosh way too much in game 4 and didn't get in any kind of rhythm. He put away Boston and Chicago. Not Wade. LeBron consistently did more with less in Cleveland than Wade did with Miami (aside from the year that Wade had Shaq, Mourning, Walker, Haslem, Williams, Payton, Posey, and Kapono on his team. All played their respective roles to perfection that year, despite not being individually imposing). He is the best player in the NBA, and I hope for all of New York, Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles fans' sakes that you're right and he can't handle the big stage. Because if he starts playing angry and extra motivated, these next 7-10 years are going to be very long ones for you guys.

jiggin
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
this lack of mental toughness is why many believe he wanted to "team up" with another star or two, so that the pressure wouldn't be on him like it was in Cleveland.

Witness06
06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Women Lie, Men Lie....Numbers dont lie
Lebron has numbers that rank in the best ever to play this game.

Lebron is only 26!!!!! hes not yet halfway through his career, relax let him do his thing and when hes done then see where he stacks against the games giants.

Ive never heard Lebron compare himeslf to Jordan. Anybody who has followed Lebron knows his game has ALWAYS been more like Magic, than Jordan. In Cleveland he had to score 30 for them to win, but its no secrete he would rather have a sick pass than a big dunk. You people always want to make someone the next Jordan ( Grant hill, Tracy Mcgrady Kobe...ect). Lebron is not that guy.....KOBE IS THE JORDAN CLONE who has swagger jacked Jordans everything. Lebron has his own swagg, and there is nothing wrong with that.
He single handedly took Cleveland to the 2007 finals, Look at them fall from the best record in the league to the bottom when he left (THATS A TRUE MVP, IN MY BOOK)
Lebron ALWAYS shows love and respect for the greats and he has never copied anyones game or style. Stop trying to put everyone in a box (ie Dirk, he is not Bird)

As for the 4th quater lapses, I personally didnt think they would get this far this soon. I dont think Spolestra has figured out how to play these guys together on offense.
It was just 10 days ago everyone was saying what wrong with Wade, he must be hurt. He was terrible against the Bulls, Lebron carried them on offense and SHUT down the MVP. while Wade got his legs back. Bottom line is if Lebron is not GREAT agianst the C's and Bulls they dont even get to the finals. Everyone heard the coach saying to Lebron in the Bulls series " you cant get tired" he is playing more minutes than anyone including Wade,playing the point on most possesions, and getting the toughest D assignment. COME ON MAN be real and fair.

SteBO
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Another LeBron thread :sigh:

mlisica19
06-09-2011, 03:18 PM
What he meant is that people should still fear and respect his talent because it is so great. You should never overestimate LeBron James, because of his altheticism.

But yes, he left to Miami to take some responsibility off his shoulders. He wants to end his career with at least one ring, to say hes finally done it. But thats the mentality he has, that he will no doubt will win one. In his mind right now, he believes hes going to win this and go in the summer with lots of $$$, lots of respect and lots of fame.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2011, 03:20 PM
yippee another LeBron thread....

Heater4life
06-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Uhhhh as far as i know Stephen A doesnt have a PSD account. What is the topic?

Ill21
06-09-2011, 03:26 PM
No one will ever give this guy a break. He is a human and is not perfect according to Stephen A. he is having off the court family issues. Most of you hate him because he did not choose your team during the decision and you look for any reason to bash him.

Witness06
06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
All this mental toughness stuff is crap, Lebron has been a BEAST in the playoffs, he lead the cavs to the finals with NOTHINg, but Boobie Gibson.
Once the big three in Boston teamed up, and NOONE would come to Cleveland to play with him he did what he had to do.

How come NOBODY TALKS ABOUT KOBE DEMANDING A TRADE because he couldnt win , before they brought Gasol in (JORDAN NEVER DEMANDED a trade) what about that killer instinct?
Why is Lebron held to another standard? Shaq was the three time finals MVP with the Lakers, noone holds that against Kobe? Shaq took his talents to south beach and if he doesnt get hurt in the playoffs that first year the heat would already have two rings.

Pippen is right, Lebron is a more balanced player ( at 26 he has along way to go , but its possible), he could average a triple double with this team once they figure it all out. The truth is the heat play GREAT defense, but they have along way to go on offense, in a year or two they will be dangerous!!! Look at all the hate this guy endures in the media, you think that doesnt take mental toughness. Jordan was loved and protected, noone dare print a bad word about him or he would cut off their access.
Let this heat team develop,Then we can talk about Lebrons mental toughness.

venom518
06-09-2011, 03:29 PM
You were on ESPN Radio NY yesterday. You said soemthing along the lines of how LeBron was horrible with his performance in game 4 and i agree. You were then questioned of how this will affect LeBron's legacy in the NBA. Pretty much of how he doesn't have that determination of being THE MAN, and wanting the ball alla Jordan and Kobe. You answer was pretty much that he is ok, with not being THE MAN, and wants just to win the Ring. That LeBron is OK that Wade takes over the game, that LeBron is happy being a sidekick on his team but should still get the respect as others because of his talent alone. That LeBron on talent alone should be respected.

This is where i disagree with you Stephen A Smith. I don't agree he should be respected on talent alone. There is a mental aspect to a player that goes for as an intangible. What you led you listeners to beileve is that it doesn't matter that LeBron didn't have his mind on the game, they should fear his ame on talent. Stephen, everyone in pro sports are naturally gifted more than the ordinary human being. In LeBrons case he is more physically talented than his peers,but if he doesn't have that determination to meet his needs and push himself to reach max potential in a game, then yes mental aspect is a big part.

Stephen we all know Jordans greatness. As great as he was he always notched it up 1 or 2 ticks more everytime he played at MSG. Jordan had nothing to prove ,we all knew he was great but he notched it up. I dont care if LeBron wins his 8 championships , it will always be on someone else's coattails. Team mates rode Jordan coattails, Pippen,Grant,Kerr,Paxson. LeBron will always the Pippen of the league.

Stephen if you really think about it ,after '"THE DECISION", NY was really never in play for LeBron. Think about it, he being the man in NY, with all this media? His excuse for not winning in Clev. was he never had a strong #2 option and thats why he choked. Now with a Wade and Bosh on the team, he still puts up only 8 points? He can't handle crunch time , at least now he knows if he has a bad night Wade and Bosh will be able to bail him out.

No one is going to fear LeBron . See what Jason Terry is doing, try to mess with his head in hoping to get his rythmn off of LeBRON. You would never dare to do this to Jordam and get into his head because if you did, you would fear getting him pissed off and getting a 60 point night out of him,so you never talk to him that way.

When are you gonna learn. No one wins titles by themselves. Pippen did not ride Jordan's coattails. Did you forget? Jordan did not win a title until Pippen came. It took 9yrs to win his first. No Pippen, no titles for Jordan....Period.

Law25
06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
You must have a very short memory.Wade dominated against Boston and Chicago. Smh

Wade dominated Boston. As far as the OP goes. I completly agree with him. I was watching First Take this morning and they said sports writers and analyst are lowering ther standards for greatness, and i agree. I said it once and ill say it again ther has never been an time before that i have ever heard of an player being excussed from his Finals play based on what he did to get ther. Dirk put up good numbers to get to the finals. Dirk avg 22pts 10.8rebs 2.5ast 0.67blk in the Finals and was called an choker by many. So why does Lebron who at this point avg 17.2pts 7.2 rebs 6.2ast 0.25blks, and completly vanished in game 4 get an pass. He Shouldnt but he does, and its not right. He get more props for his talent and potential then Kobe and Wade gets for actualy useing thers when it matter the most. How does that fit for anyone? Good news for Lebron he has three games to change peoples current perception of him, because if they lose people will be forced to back off the claim of the greatness of his game.

5ass
06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
How can u call out a guy for wanting his teammates to be more involved. Lebron didnt take as many shots as jordan would take, jordan might go for 60 but he would shoot a shitload of shots to make it happen. Lebron let wade lead the way, thats rlly not a problem. Dwade is almot just as good as lebron and lebron understands that.

Law25
06-09-2011, 03:52 PM
All this mental toughness stuff is crap, Lebron has been a BEAST in the playoffs, he lead the cavs to the finals with NOTHINg, but Boobie Gibson.
Once the big three in Boston teamed up, and NOONE would come to Cleveland to play with him he did what he had to do.

How come NOBODY TALKS ABOUT KOBE DEMANDING A TRADE because he couldnt win , before they brought Gasol in (JORDAN NEVER DEMANDED a trade) what about that killer instinct?
Why is Lebron held to another standard? Shaq was the three time finals MVP with the Lakers, noone holds that against Kobe? Shaq took his talents to south beach and if he doesnt get hurt in the playoffs that first year the heat would already have two rings.

Pippen is right, Lebron is a more balanced player ( at 26 he has along way to go , but its possible), he could average a triple double with this team once they figure it all out. The truth is the heat play GREAT defense, but they have along way to go on offense, in a year or two they will be dangerous!!! Look at all the hate this guy endures in the media, you think that doesnt take mental toughness. Jordan was loved and protected, noone dare print a bad word about him or he would cut off their access.
Let this heat team develop,Then we can talk about Lebrons mental toughness.

I know i dont bring up Shaqs taking the MVPs from him because he averaged 25.7pts 5ast 5rebs 1stl 1blk combining 01-02 and those are MVP numbers, Shaq numbers was just better, and because Kobe was the closer in those championships.

About the trade Kobe ***** and moan and stayed. You can say he stayed because the got Pau, but before Bynums injury they were first in the west and Kobe showed commitment.

Drew Goodan avg 13pts 8rebs and Pau avg 14pts 10rebs 2ast stelas and blocks were the same. Stop Making Excuses!!!!!!

Lebron is really good but on the biggest stage he hasnt proven to be great.

Law25
06-09-2011, 03:57 PM
How can u call out a guy for wanting his teammates to be more involved. Lebron didnt take as many shots as jordan would take, jordan might go for 60 but he would shoot a shitload of shots to make it happen. Lebron let wade lead the way, thats rlly not a problem. Dwade is almot just as good as lebron and lebron understands that.

If he get everyone envolved and they lose it looks like he's running from the momment. Jordan would takes an but load of shots and they would win so he looks like the hero. I know you understand this.

stonebari44
06-09-2011, 08:57 PM
When are you gonna learn. No one wins titles by themselves. Pippen did not ride Jordan's coattails. Did you forget? Jordan did not win a title until Pippen came. It took 9yrs to win his first. No Pippen, no titles for Jordan....Period.

Are we really going compare Pippen calibar of talent to Wades talent? Pippen proved he couldn't win without Jordan. Wade proved that he can win without LeBron. Wade also won with an older Shaq on the team. Now that Wade arguably, according to Pippen has "the most well balanced player the league has ever seen" in LeBron, that he only scores 8 points?

Other than when Jordan came back from baseball, when did Jordan ever score 8 points in a playoff series? Are we saying that a combination of Jordan and Pippen was better than Wade and LeBron? Thats not even including Bosh who also made the Dream Team, in the Olympics.

Starting to think LeBron is more like Pippen mentally. A player with talent who is satisfied to be a wing man, rather than The Man. Wade is more like Jordan mentally and will carry the team on his back like Dirk,Kobe.

The sad part is no one is grasping that if his mental toughness and drive matched his physically ability, that he would without a doubt be the best ever. Heart means alot in this game and the mental side. That is why alot of great players won't come to NY because they know they cant around the criticism and know it will affect their game.

Please someone tell me me Jordan couldn't win with other small forwards like Grant Hill,Chris Mullin,Dominque Wilikns, that Pippen was so special.

LeBron is playing with a proven winner who has already won a ring .Jordan made Pippen. LeBron didn't make Wade.

If the mental part is not a big deal, then tell me the difference between Ryan Leaf who got drafted before Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf had better physical skills and could throw a mile and was accurate. Headcase, couldn't handle the pressure.

Why didn't Cliff Lee go to the Yankees for more money, didn't want nor need the extra pressure and settled for less money.

Ever since Citifield got built David Wright can't hit not the same player, the stadium is in his head. Guarantee he goes to another team he 'll become that monster 3rd baseman, so whats the sense of potential if he'll never reach that on the team he is on,becuase of the stadium.

I'll be the 1st to admit i wanted LeBron, but if we got the LeBron that plays scared, then im glad we didn't get him. Im very happy with Stat and Melo who have that bulldog ability,but we are thin on the rest of the team, but thats another issue.

I think a combo of Dirk and Wade would win more championships than a combo of LeChoke, Wade, and Bosh. Let LeBron get 40 points to shut everyone up tonight. Then when game 7 is on the line, with 1 quater to go lets see which LeBron shows up.

All scary teams for Miami than the one they have now and more champioships:

Current team--Wade,LeBron and Bosh

Better team with just 2 all stars-----

Wade and Blake Griiffin
Wade and Dirk
Wade and Stat
Wade and Durant
Wade and Dwight Howard

any team above with 2 all stars are better off and win more.

To prove my point , who is Dirk's sidekick? 38 year old Jason Kidd? If Dirk and 38 year old Kidd have series tied at 2 games a piece against 3 Olympians then what would Dirk be able to do if he had a legit #2 option like a Chris Paul,Carmelo Anthony, a legit # 2 option who is an all start in his prime? He is winning with a 38 year old?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ,you can't discount heart.

Fnom11
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
There needs to be a limit on how many Lebron threads there can be in one day. Once that quota is hit, the rest should be locked instantly

pd1dish
06-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Another LeBron thread :sigh:

im not a fan of Lebron, but these threads are getting a little old. most of the top 10 threads have Lebron's name in it

KnicksR4Real
06-09-2011, 09:17 PM
ive always hated sas

znick21
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
op is 100% correct. lebron has all the tools to become the best player ever, yet he isn't even close. that mental aspect, or killer instinct, is so under appreciated in players. it's the reason dwyane wade is a superior player to lebron. lebron is far better physically and perhaps talent-wise, but his mental approach is nowhere near that of dwades. the lebron to jordan comparison's need to stop now. when the game is on the line, would anybody on this site really trust lebron? like seriously?

stonebari44
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
1- LeBron one of top talented players in the game
2-LeBron "THE DECISION"
3-LeBron in the NBA Finals
4-LeBron score only 8 points in the NBA Finals

What would you like to talk about?

NBA Labor talks?
Donnie Walsh getting fired?
Who is the next Laker coach?
Who is Commisioner Stern rooting for?

Grow up, either say something intelligent or just don't hit any LeBron threads if you aren't interested, yet your curiosity gets the better of you and you still want to read.

or

Just start an intellgent thread on your own and a subject in the NBA worthy of talking about and get your own following ,be a leader not a follower like LeBron.

The Flash
06-09-2011, 09:46 PM
is everyone and everyone's mother inlove with Lebron?

stonebari44
06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, well MR.Stephen A Smith,

We've got to respect LeBrons talent?. After all this crap im writing about LeBrons mental side of he game , that it has to match his physical side or he just becomes a regular all star like anyone else, i at least expected 40 points from him last night at least to prove everyone wrong,but he couldn't do that much! Once again disappeared 4th quater.

I understand he got a triple double, only 17 points from a guy with soooooooooooooo much talent as Mr Stephen A Smith says? He says the man commands respect just on talent alone.

Let LeBron go to Rucker Park on West 4th in NYC and play some ball lets see how much respect he gets there. Respect is earned,not given.

He wants to turn this around? Take this team on his back at home in Miami the next 2 games and win. Personally, don't think he can do it. If Miami does win the next 2 games ,it will because of Wade.

You got to respect guys like Nate Robinson,Chris Paul,Spudd Webb small guys that push themselves. What would Nate be if he had LeBrons body?
Attitude plays a very important role. Shaq is another example. In a basketball sense he wasn't no where near the greatest, he couldn'r hit a free throw, not a great shooter or passer and couldn't dribble and drive like Hakeem to the basketball net. He was very smart and mentally said, i'm just too big to be handled,and dominated physically and become one of the greatest on talent.

LeBron has the shooting,passing and driving ability, but just doesn't have the mental aspect of it. Jason Terry is probably in his head, a guy half his size. LeBron better than Jordan overall?, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. LeBron couldn't carry Shaq shoes. Maybe LeBron should sit down and have a talk with Nate Robinson,Spudd Webb and ask them "How do you guys push yourselves to the limit?", "How do i reach my full potential?", take a notebook out and take notes, or just got West 4th street in NYC, and get banged around a little

sventhedog
06-10-2011, 07:52 AM
You must have a very short memory. LeBron dominated against Boston and Chicago. Smh
wow. impressive. he received a wedding ring for that.

ne3xchamps
06-10-2011, 08:24 AM
There needs to be a limit on how many Lebron threads there can be in one day. Once that quota is hit, the rest should be locked instantly

It is ridiculous with the amount of the lebron threads. But Lebron brought all this upon himself. At least this thread was started with some insight from someone that is not on this forum. But still annoying as ****.

ne3xchamps
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
wow. impressive. he received a wedding ring for that.

:laugh2:

valade16
06-10-2011, 08:51 AM

So having Dwade and Chris Bosh is now "LeBron is by himself"?

No... Just no

Oldmantrash
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
People just don't understand.

No one is ever saying that Lebron isn't great,but he cannot even close to be considered top 10 all time until he proves he is mentally tough enough to take over games,every night,which Jordan,Kobe,and many others did.

He is an all time great,but you can't even come close to calling him the greatest,until he proves it on the biggest stage.

He deserves everything he gets,until he wins it all.

wjmoffatt
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Agree 100%!
The best players (except one) at their positions weren't the most gifted/talented.
PG- Magic (not a rose, had height yes, but wasn't super fast or couldn't jump really high)
SG- MJ (Exception)
SF- Bird (No where near the most talented)
PF- Duncan (His not even one of the top 5 in his time talented)
C- Kareem or Bill Russell (Not Shaq body's or Dwight Howard athleticism)

koreancabbage
06-10-2011, 09:36 AM
dang he's turning to be the next Kobe in this forum. tons of haters and lovers. you know you're a great basketball player when...

(at least Kobe won a ton and people still hate on him)

stonebari44
06-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Guess i was right. LeBron choked once again. But did LeBron prove all the naysayers wrong by dropping 40 points in a game. NOT

Stephen A. Smiths man crush on LeBron will certainly come out today or the next few days of "WHY?" LeBron didn't have his game. Stephen making all kinds of excuses.

The Heat clearly were the superior team on paper, but that does not necessarily translate into chemistry on the court like the Celtics.

You can't put a number or price tag on "HEART and Determination", as Dirk and crew had. Told you guys, check my past posts, JASON TERRY, got into LeBrons head and backed his words last night and had the game of his life.

So much for LePippen,Wade and Bosh and that stupid party the Heat had at the arena, when they were all introduced together after the signings and Pat Riley was sitting on stage with them all with stupid grins on their faces.

LePippen saying ,"With Wade,Bosh and himself on the court all they have to do is suit up Pat Riley to fill out the roster" .

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaa :)