PDA

View Full Version : Expectations from Kobe Bryant.

basketfan4life
06-09-2011, 08:20 AM
for 2010-2011 season...

Some people say he is obviously declining, others say he now has a chip on his shoulder and after a long rest he will prove everybody wrong...

What is your take and what kind of a stat line you expect from him?Do you think he can be in the best player in the league discussion again?Can he win again..?

and please be reasonable...

jockrider
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
i think he's almost done

daleja424
06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
I am on the declining side of that argument... its sad to say, but we are approaching an end of an era with Kobe IMO. He is not the same guy he was two years ago.

He will still be in the 24 ppg area... but his effectiveness is dropping (which isnt great for a player that was never particularly effecient to begin with)

Raidaz4Life
06-09-2011, 08:24 AM
I would say 24 PPG, 5.5 assists, and 4.5 rebounds

He is clearly on the decline at this point. Plus it sounds like the new coaching staff is going to attempt to be committed to playing through Gasol and Bynum.

MTar786
06-09-2011, 08:25 AM
He can. But he needs to work hard this summer and fix all those little little nagging injuries. i eard he's going to bulk up a little too

MTar786
06-09-2011, 08:29 AM
i say he averages 27ppg 5 and 5. I see him getting mvp next season too. the mvp race isnt what it was. there is no player head and shoulders above anyone else. look how rose won it. Im not saying he will be the best player next season im just saying i have a feeling he will get mvp.
next season i see it going to either kobe or dirk. just a guess

Hawkeye15
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
for next year, expect what has happened the last two. A barely noticeable decline. He may risk falling out of the top 5 players by next season, but if he is feeling good, his skill level will let him go for 24-5-4 and the media will give him name recognition in year end awards

TheWatcher34
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
he will continue to take 25 shots a game, what else.

dnl123
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
He will shoot around 40-43% from the field and continue to be the most overrated defender in NBA history.

SportsFanatic10
06-09-2011, 09:37 AM
for next year, expect what has happened the last two. A barely noticeable decline. He may risk falling out of the top 5 players by next season, but if he is feeling good, his skill level will let him go for 24-5-4 and the media will give him name recognition in year end awards

my thoughts exactly.

BigCityofDreams
06-09-2011, 09:40 AM

He is clearly on the decline at this point. Plus it sounds like the new coaching staff is going to attempt to be committed to playing through Gasol and Bynum.

Is that the right move?

D-Block21-Chito
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Great player Love Kobe but he has been in the league for a long azz time. His body is not the same. All I can sa is I don't see hime being better than he was this year

BALLER R
06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
well declining or not i think we can all agree on something...kobe will go down shooting

BigCityofDreams
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
15 2 1

The Final Boss
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Wtf? Coach Brown says the offense will inexplicably run through Kobe Bryant.

Law25
06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
he will continue to take 25 shots a game, what else.

For his career he averages 19 shots per game. His hoghest shots per is one year 27 on 45% and one year 23 on on 45%. The last 4 years he averages 20.7 shots on 45%. I fully expect him to average 27pts 6rebs 7ast, and if the season is short i say 30 5 6. I find it funny as hell that he took his team to the finals three year in an row, gets burnt out the fourth year losing in the second round and now hes done. Do people understand what it takes to reach the finals 3 times in an 82 game season. He was just tired. Look Jordan threepeated and took an break. Than threepeated again and retired. Your almost destined to fail the fourth year. You get tired and teams for three years try to put together the right peices to beat you. I know everyone wants him done for whatever reason. Its been goin on for years. In 07 all they talked about was his mileage. Now its his age. I know he's not superhuman and he wont last forever but he just dosent look done. He was tired thats it and thats all.

RapOZo
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Are you kidding me?
Are we talking about stephen jackson or kobe bryant?
This is the most determined guy in the league, one of the most compromised working hard players the league has ever seen, he clearly showed signs of fatigue last season because is what happens when you make 3 consecutive finals playing injured, he wont be around 30 ppg but surely expect a 26-27ppg season, no new staff is gonna come take the ball from kobe, phil used to do it because he is phil, but buss want to run his offense through his still main star in the team

mttwlsn16
06-09-2011, 10:41 AM
he will still get his. hes a chucker, the stats will be there but the efficiency will continue to fade

BigCityofDreams
06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Are you kidding me?
Are we talking about stephen jackson or kobe bryant?
This is the most determined guy in the league, one of the most compromised working hard players the league has ever seen, he clearly showed signs of fatigue last season because is what happens when you make 3 consecutive finals playing injured, he wont be around 30 ppg but surely expect a 26-27ppg season, no new staff is gonna come take the ball from kobe, phil used to do it because he is phil, but buss want to run his offense through his still main star in the team

I think ppl expect Kobe to fall off the cliff. Obviously he's not the same but he's not to the point where he's done.

RaiderLakersA's
06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
The nagging injuries are always the first sign of a player's decline. No one questions Kobe's mental fortitude, but he is definitely getting up there in NBA years... and Father Time catches up to everyone.

I still believe at least for the next 2 years he can average 20-24 ppg, but given that the Lakers will focus more on defense, it wouldn't surprise me if those numbers go down to 18 ppg. The energy and effort needed to play lockdown D at this stage of his career will likely impact his efforts as a scorer. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, however.

I think it's safe to say that, unlike with other players, Kobe doesn't have to be the leading scorer in order for everyone to see the squad as HIS team. It was the same deal when Magic played. It's not like Magic won MVP of the Finals every year that we went. With guys like Kareem and Worthy on your team, Magic wasn't always the best player on the floor all of the time in every situation. But at the end of the day, we all knew it was his team.

showtym24
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
25-27 ppg 5 rb 4 asst. He's gonna make alot of people look dumb IMO.

Raoul Duke
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
My heart tells me that if he actually gets some quality downtime this summer and comes back rested and at least close to 100% of what he is capable of at his age, he could be in the MVP conversation next year and have at least one more season as the clear-cut best player on a championship caliber team.

My head tells me that with the amount of minutes on his legs and the physical problems he's had over the last couple of years, it's just not realistic to hope for anything close to a 100% Kobe.

Regardless of where his ceiling is now, I think he'll be a great player next year and he'll put up impressive numbers. It'll be interesting to see how he holds up, though, and whether or not there is a shift in the LA offense to take some of the responsibility off his shoulders, whether he likes it or not.

Law25
06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
The nagging injuries are always the first sign of a player's decline. No one questions Kobe's mental fortitude, but he is definitely getting up there in NBA years... and Father Time catches up to everyone.

I still believe at least for the next 2 years he can average 20-24 ppg, but given that the Lakers will focus more on defense, it wouldn't surprise me if those numbers go down to 18 ppg. The energy and effort needed to play lockdown D at this stage of his career will likely impact his efforts as a scorer. That may not necessarily be a bad thing, however.

I think it's safe to say that, unlike with other players, Kobe doesn't have to be the leading scorer in order for everyone to see the squad as HIS team. It was the same deal when Magic played. It's not like Magic won MVP of the Finals every year that we went. With guys like Kareem and Worthy on your team, Magic wasn't always the best player on the floor all of the time in every situation. But at the end of the day, we all knew it was his team.

So Wade close to done, and if you look in Kobe's past the 03 offseason he was getting surgey, he broke his hand in 01, messed up his shoulder in 04. Point is he's always had injury and fought through em, same hear. Is he slowing down? yes is he done ? hell no

Voodoo Alchemy
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
well declining or not i think we can all agree on something...kobe will go down shooting

i agree 100%!

sincerely,
raja bell

Hellcrooner
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
mi expecttation is

The most ppg he averages in regular season over the 19 ppg mark the worse our seed will be.

then in playoffs.

the most he tryes to "take over" the game and ignore hsi teamates the sooner we get eliminated.

JordansBulls
06-09-2011, 11:54 AM
It depends. New coach and new system someone will be unhappy this year whether it is the players or the coach. Not sure what to expect honestly.

MVPKOBE43
06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Kobe will be fine. Gees guys, hes only 32. Hes takin very good care of himself as well. Hes got at least 2 solid years left.

Hellcrooner
06-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Kobe will be fine. Gees guys, hes only 32. Hes takin very good care of himself as well. Hes got at least 2 solid years left.

yes he is 33when season starts but he is been playing since 1996.

that makes him around 37 in a normal career.
not to mention he has been to 7 finals wich means its like he had played two more entire seasons.

nykobe24
06-09-2011, 12:02 PM
he got a good 2-3 years in were he averages 24-27 ppg mark it down
he is going to make people who doubt him look stupid. Thats all i'm a say

RaiderLakersA's
06-09-2011, 12:20 PM
yes he is 33when season starts but he is been playing since 1996.

that makes him around 37 in a normal career.
not to mention he has been to 7 finals wich means its like he had played two more entire seasons.

The part that I love reading. Let's hope it gets to 9 or 10 by the time it's all said and done.

AIRMAR72
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
it would be a challenge for kobe or any player starting the upcoming season with a new coach and system plus the rubbish that was going on and off the court and the disappointed playoffs i think kobe is going to average 18-23points 4reb 3-4dymes their is just too much wear N tear and mileage on kobe the man practice all yr around plus the man has been there and done that he wont be as hungry like the past yrs pau and andrew WILL have to be focal point of the offense if lakers can get the piece they want quick footed athletic wing player like rudy gay etc a young shot blocking rebounding PF speedy pass 1st high IQ penetrating PG like ty lawson etc good thing can happen with pau and bynum

bmykal24
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
i am the biggest kobe fan, is kobe slowing down, of course, anybody can see that but the passion is there, the focus is there, heart and determination is there, hes going to give it all he has, i would like for kobe to have numbers like 20ppg, 6 reb, and 8 ast and i kniow some people will see the assist numbers and say wtf kobe doesnt pass but in reality he does, we saw what he did in the olympics a couple years ago so he can fill that role but with that being said and because kobe is the clear cut number one on the lakers i expect 25-26 ppg, 5 reb and 5 ast

meloman1592
06-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Kobe is gonna average around 24/25 with 5 reb and 4 assists. But his impact is far less than what it was. I think he falls out the top 5 by next summer. He's on the edge of the top 5 right now imo

BigCityofDreams
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
The part that I love reading. Let's hope it gets to 9 or 10 by the time it's all said and done.

Yea we're all hoping to see that happen.

smith&wesson
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Imo kobe will be playing at a high level for another 3 seasons or so but he wont be considered a top 1-5 player any more.

witH that said, i think he is more then capable of helping a team win a ship. just because he may not be the best player in the game anymore doesnt mean he is done. he has some solid years of basket ball left in him. look at ray allen, look at nash. kobe's conditioning is up there with those guys.

tredigs
06-09-2011, 12:50 PM
^Inexplicably. Awesome missuse if I ever saw one.

shep33
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
In his exit interview he basically said he hasn't worked on his game in 2 years, just tried to relax his body and stay healthy. I think people overlook his run in the past 5-6 years.

2006 and 2007- single handidly carried quite possibly the worst supporting cast in the league in the rough Western Conference. Most of the players on those teams don't play in the league anymore... some because of age, others because of just being bad.

2008- MVP year, leads the Lakers to the Finals, loses in 6 to an amazing and hungry Boston Celtics team.

2008- Olympics, plays the role of shutdown defender, which he did pretty much throughout the Olympics.

2009- Leads a Laker team to a ring

2010- Repeat as Champions

2011- plays a career low 33 mpg, and doesn't even practice much at all because he is drained.

I think he's an elite player still, and in a way I think losing in the 2nd round was a good thing. This guy has played more regular season and playoff games than MJ I think. Let him rest, strengthen his legs (like he said he will in the offseason), and just rejuvenate. People forget that the last team to go to 4 straight Finals were the Celtics around 23-24 years ago.

He needs help on the perimeter though, the guy still gets double and triple teamed out there, and has never played with another all-star wing player in his career., outside of Van Exel and Eddie Jones in his 2nd year. Really nobody even close to an all-star level since.

Hawkeye15
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
In his exit interview he basically said he hasn't worked on his game in 2 years, just tried to relax his body and stay healthy. I think people overlook his run in the past 5-6 years.

2006 and 2007- single handidly carried quite possibly the worst supporting cast in the league in the rough Western Conference. Most of the players on those teams don't play in the league anymore... some because of age, others because of just being bad.

2008- MVP year, leads the Lakers to the Finals, loses in 6 to an amazing and hungry Boston Celtics team.

2008- Olympics, plays the role of shutdown defender, which he did pretty much throughout the Olympics.

2011- plays a career low 33 mpg, and doesn't even practice much at all because he is drained.

I think he's an elite player still, and in a way I think losing in the 2nd round was a good thing. This guy has played more regular season and playoff games than MJ I think. Let him rest, strengthen his legs (like he said he will in the offseason), and just rejuvenate. People forget that the last team to go to 4 straight Finals were the Celtics around 23-24 years ago.

He needs help on the perimeter though, the guy still gets double and triple teamed out there, and has never played with another all-star wing player in his career., outside of Van Exel and Eddie Jones in his 2nd year. Really nobody even close to an all-star level since.

poor guy :)

SteBO
06-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Great points. I believe that Kobe is quite aware of what he can and can't do, so I'd trust that he'll adjust his game to a point where he's still effective scoring, getting to the line, getting other guys involved, etc.....What I'd like to see him do though is take the Jason Kidd route. I'd like to see him become a pure 3-pt shooter like Kidd did when he realized he was tailing off. I think that would be extremely beneficial to the team, but I'm not sure Kobe would allow himself to do that. Just a thought.

Gibby23
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Great points. I believe that Kobe is quite aware of what he can and can't do, so I'd trust that he'll adjust his game to a point where he's still effective scoring, getting to the line, getting other guys involved, etc.....What I'd like to see him do though is take the Jason Kidd route. I'd like to see him become a pure 3-pt shooter like Kidd did when he realized he was tailing off. I think that would be extremely beneficial to the team, but I'm not sure Kobe would allow himself to do that. Just a thought.

That makes no sense.

SteBO
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
That makes no sense.
:confused: How?

I mean to say that since Kidd realized he's tailing off, he worked on his 3pt shot and has now become an accurate three point shooter percentage wise. I want to see Kobe do the same. Just how I feel.

Gibby23
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
:confused: How?

I mean to say that since Kidd realized he's tailing off, he worked on his 3pt shot and has now become a accurate three point shooter percentage wise. I want to see Kobe do the same. Just how I feel.

Jason Kidd wasn't a great scorer to begin with. Kobe has a great mid range game and Jason Kidd came to the NBA with no jumpshot.

BkOriginalOne
06-09-2011, 01:14 PM
He's definitely declining, but it's Kobe Bryant. You really only need him for the playoffs...

SteBO
06-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Jason Kidd wasn't a great scorer to begin with. Kobe has a great mid range game and Jason Kidd came to the NBA with no jumpshot.

I'm not talking about scoring, I'm referring to 3pt shooting. I'm aware Kidd wasn't a great scorer to begin with. That's obvious, but when his skills declined, he dramatically improved his 3pt shot. That's what I wanna see Kobe do, improve his 3pt%.

Gibby23
06-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not talking about scoring, I'm referring to 3pt shooting. I'm aware Kidd wasn't a great scorer to begin with. That's obvious, but when his skills declined, he dramatically improved his 3pt shot. That's what I wanna see Kobe do, improve his 3pt%.

Kobe can still be effective in the post. I think he will be used more in the post as he is declining and since they are going away from the Tri, i think he will handle the ball less and just get to his spots. With all that said, we still need a PG that can take the ball out of Kobe's hands and getiing a PG isn't easy.

SteBO
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Kobe can still be effective in the post. I think he will be used more in the post as he is declining and since they are going away from the Tri, i think he will handle the ball less and just get to his spots. With all that said, we still need a PG that can take the ball out of Kobe's hands and getiing a PG isn't easy.
You said it. It's unfortunate that Steve Blake didn't pan out well at all though he can't create off the dribble anyway, and Fishers' old already. I'm unsure of which PG's are available, and the fact I have no clue signifies it isn't anyone great.

DODGERS&LAKERS
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
I hope for 23, 5, and 6. On 56 to 57 TS% and a low turn over rate, while at least showing signs of life on defense.

shep33
06-09-2011, 02:23 PM

Yeah, I actually agree that he could work on his 3 point shot more often. The only thing is he needs someone to create to get him open. I don't think anybody takes or makes more contested jumpers than Kobe Bryant. Nobody on the team can create for themselves or get dribble penetration on this team. Really LA has the worst perimeter players in the league outside of Kobe. Nobody can shoot or create well for this team outside of him, teams don't even guard Artest, Fisher or Blake, and when Kobe gives them wide open looks after drawing a double, they just can't hit open shots. I have never seen 3 guys (Artest, Fisher, Blake), miss so many wide open looks over the course of a season. Corner 3 is actually open on almost every play in the triangle, haha problem is it's these guys (mostly Artest) who is the guy shooting.

Even as a Laker fan, I don't think he's the best in the league anymore, but he's still capable of 25, 5 and 5 over the next 3 years.

Tuck&Rolle
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
You can never sleep on Kobe. He'll be back next season to his regular form.

theheatles
06-09-2011, 02:57 PM
i see kobe getting healthy and being top 3 in scoring giving 1 more real good year with maybe 27.4 ppg 5.3 rpg 3.9 apg...then i see him barely avg 20 the yr after and then i think he hangs around and plays til he passes jordan on the all time scoring list

LakersA's49ers
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
25/6/5 sounds reasonable. Ill love him even if hes playing with a walker

KingPosey
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM

are you sure you meant inexplicably?

I dont think that word means what you think it means. Unless Mike Brown said, "The offense will run through Kobe, and that is unexplainable."

KingPosey
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM

That is a terrible idea.

Tony_Starks
06-09-2011, 04:24 PM
His knee will be healthy and I would expect a great season. He was top 5 last year on a surgically repaired knee. When KG had knee surgery he was a shell of himself for a year. Kobe still was great but the expecations for him are different from everyone else........

ChicagoJ
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Kobe is one of the all time greats. I don't expect him ever to be a bad player. Even if age and injury catch up to him I think he will be good up to his final game. Not at the level from when he was in his prime, but still one of the better players in the league.

NBAfan4life
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
My wish is for Kobe to try to be is effecient as he has ever been. Pick up his assist and more selective with his shot. I think he will still be good for 20-5-5.

Lakerfan In NY
06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
How he does next yr will depend on three things: His healthy, the system he's in & more importantly his back court mate. He has the skill set & mentality to make a few more runs at a title but he can't continuly be asked to play that many roles on the team.

lakersiznumber1
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
calm down everybody need 2 stop listenning to the media. whose tryin to build a new star of basketball who isnt fit for the crown. First stop disrespecting the best basketball player after jordan hater **** off kobe is goin b back better then ever, It will be the first time he got rest. He was been injured all season he sat out how many practices this season? He said hes on a mission to prove everybody wrong the man went 2 the finals 3 years in a row and now that la got kicked out early everybody better then him pls no one is. kobe will be back next year and will win his 6 ring mr mvp 2012

Lakerhead4ever
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
kobe will be okay. his work ethic is unmatched. and with a full summers rest i can say he will be fine, certainly better than this past season

hes still going to be clutch and win games. that u can count on.

and lets face it hes under 35 yrs of age. i wouldnt say hes declining but hes being playing with injured body parts and still was top 5 last yr. he has alot left in his tank

numba1CHANGsta
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Kobe is still the best SG, if not then second best. He's still clutch, he can still score, defend, with rest and finally being healthy this offseason, expect a more aggressive Kobe!

dodie53
06-09-2011, 05:38 PM
just get kobe another superstar and he'll be fine
hehe

Lim
06-09-2011, 05:46 PM
kobe in his twilight years: ppg will stay in the 20-25 ppg range, assists per game will go down, shots per game will stay the same, and his efficiency will go down.