PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Lebron James? What happened in Game 4?

jmj365
06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
What is up with LeBron James? What happened to him in Game 4? Can he really be the best player on the planet and not be the best on his team? Is he the best player in the world?
I thought that we were past this conversation about Lebron James. I am absolutely flabbergasted by the performance he put forth in Game 4 of the 2011 NBA Finals. After the Game 5 debacle of last year versus the Celtics, I was almost certain we would never see that type of play again in his career. Yet, the passive nature of that Boston game was all over this. My stomach is actually upset discussing this matter. He is such a polarizing figure.

When watching King James, he seems majestic, marvelous and legendary. His inability to win in Cleveland, deciding to take an equal or lesser role with Wade in Miami and these playoff meltdowns over the last two years have created the greatest juxtaposition in NBA history since Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt was also considered the best player in the league. He too was the object of much criticism for his penchant for losing in the biggest moments. Chamberlain was 2-4 in the NBA Finals. He also left a team as the man, for an opportunity to play second fiddle to Jerry West. However, that was much later in his career and he had already won an NBA title with the 66'-67' Philadelphia 76ers.

Lebron James is an enigma that is truly unparalleled. Barry Bonds is the baseball equivalent. In baseball, however, a guy may get four or five at-bats and maybe seven to ten chances to touch the ball in leftfield (like Lebron's all-nba defense, Bonds was Gold Glove-caliber for years). His game is a hybrid of Jordan and Magic. However, his demeanor and disposition is that of Pippen or Penny Hardaway. All-world performers who were not cutout for the position of commander-in-chief.

Maybe James was tired? Maybe he is not the player I thought he was? I often compared his meteoric rise, to that of Tiger Woods. Both were child prodigies who came in their perspective leagues with much fanfare and dominated quite quickly. The difference is Woods won major championships, the measure of success in the PGA. James is 0-1 in the Finals. He also completely disintegrated in front of our eyes in Game 4. The reason why it is so hard for guys over the age of 30, who are real basketball fans, to reconcile James' play is not that Magic, Moses, Bird, Thomas, Jabbar, Jordan and Olajuwon never missed shots or lost big games. It was the way they played those games. There was a palpable grit and sweat to those classic Sixers, Celtics, Lakers, Pistions and Bulls teams and series. When Lebron does not provide that type of forceful persona and mindset, it causes me to wonder about the entire league.

Wade struggled immensely in the Bulls series. Enough for me to question his durability. I never questioned his mental toughness though. Lebron's overall dexterity is definitely being tested. He is causing me to question many aspects of his legacy and the voracity and validity of this current time frame in the NBA. For Lebron James, nothing short of his usual 25ppg, 6rpg and 6apg will be enough to get this bad taste out of my mouth. He is basketball's "Chosen One". The real question I am left asking is "Does he even want to be "chosen"?"

jp611
06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Hes scared of the bright lights

TheHighLife
06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
It was a game. You can't expect him to be the best every game.
But I liked seeing him only score 8, it was nice.

LALakersKC
06-08-2011, 11:33 PM
He will have a great game 5. He played poorly, happens to everybody.

Gary Reasons
06-08-2011, 11:37 PM
can we agree he can never be compared to the Michael Jordan ever again.

kntresistheheat
06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
Hes scared of the bright lights

You always have something negative to say, you can't even debate without saying something like "lebron is quitter" or " he is a side kick" or "he is scared of the bright lights" your season is over, sit back and enjoy the finals! The bulls will be back... I know your taking out your anger on lebron for not joining the bulls and then he takes you out in the ECF. I know it hurts, but rose is only 22 and there are battles to come!

Back to the topic. Lebron just had a bad game and it all boils down to match ups and right now Marion is guarding lebron pretty well and Dallas is doing a good job on help defense and traps on lebron.

iggypop123
06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
according to screaming a smith he has personal problems

ne3xchamps
06-08-2011, 11:48 PM
He will have a great game 5. He played poorly, happens to everybody.

this.

macc
06-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Lol, the blind hate for Lebron is so laughable. In a bad game he still leads his team in assists and rebounds, so it's not like he's sitting there being a bum. He's a great passer and actually made their offense flow great throughout the entire game with his precision passing.

Though instead of looking at how great his passing and rebounding was, haters just focus on the fact he only had 8 pts. FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER (during the playoffs) and people jump on him like he's some nobody.

I'm sorry but I can't take you haters seriously. It's more comedy to me now.

If you're going to hate on somone, hate on someone who sucks. Why hate no the best player in the NBA when he has an off game w/ 9 assists?

In all reality, hate = respect. People hate on the best, always have, always will. I'm a Magic fan so I don't care for the Heat but I respect a great team/player when I see one and won't be blinded by hate because my team isn't on their level.

Avenged
06-08-2011, 11:53 PM
This subject has been beat to death and there are other current active threads about Lebron you can post this in, sorry.