PDA

View Full Version : Name the top 5 overrated current NBA coaches.

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
1. Doc Rivers: Dude was worse than Vinny Del Negro before he got the big 3, and even with the big 3 he could only manage 1 championship out of all that talent. Keep in mind he's also the highest paid Coach in a league with Greg Popovich and George Karl.

2. Mike D'Antoni: Can anyone get any worse on defense? he and the number 3 overrated coach need to join together so they can makeup a whole head coach.

3. Tom Thibodeau: His adjustment in the playoffs is predicated on Rose taking more shots, everyone knows how he plays Deng and Korver...he has the most predictable offense in the league. He and D'Antoni should consider joining forces to make one head coach.

4. Larry Drew: Seriously, is anyone even surprised at what the Hawks do anymore? first they made Joe Johnson the highest paid player last off-season then they retained this guy as coach. Maybe they have a different method of measuring success in Atlanta.

5. Stan Van Gundy: Long story short, OVERRATED.

asandhu23
06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
hehe. less than 12 hours into his coaching career, Mark Jackson. :D

TylerSL
06-07-2011, 10:55 AM
1.Stan Van Gundy-Orlando Magic
2.Larry Drew-Atlanta Hawks
3.Mike D'Antoni-New York Knicks
4.Scott Brooks-Oklahoma City Thunder
5.Alvin Gentry-Pheonix Suns

SVG, D'Antoni, and Brooks all just have good teams but are the best coaches. SVG cracks under pressure, D'Antoni does NOT coach defense, and Brooks is kind of just riding his team. Drew also has a pretty good team but isnt a great coach, he just gets recognition for beating the Magic in 7 (Howard needs help), and taking the Rose-reliant Bulls to 6. The Pheonix Suns had the talent this year to still make the playoffs, Gentry is just an underachiever who got credit for taking the Suns to the WCF when they were clearly the 2nd best team in the West last season. Those are my top 5.

SDBearsFan
06-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Thibodeau, really? A rookie head coach who gets Coach of the Year and he's overrated? ***** please.

SteBO
06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
dnewguy, did you just say Tim Thibbodeau just to get a rise out of Bulls fans? :eyebrow:
I have a strong feeling that you did.

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Thibodeau, really? A rookie head coach who gets Coach of the Year and he's overrated? ***** please.

Mike D' Antoni was also a coach of the year, doesn't mean a thing. You know a good coach on how they adjust, never seen a coach as horrible as thibs in adjusting. How can you have the best record and lose 4 straight games in the conference finals?

dnewguy, did you just say Tim Thibbodeau just to get a rise out of Bulls fans? :eyebrow:

No, I actually think Thibs is really overrated.

Mc Uncle Cola
06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I think the bulls are overrated in general

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
bait thread:shrug:

avrpatsfan
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
1. Doc Rivers: Dude was worse than Vinny Del Negro before he got the big 3, and even with the big 3 he could only manage 1 championship out of all that talent. Keep in mind he's also the highest paid Coach in a league with Greg Popovich and George Karl.

2. Mike D'Antoni: Can anyone get any worse on defense? he and the number 3 overrated coach need to join together so they can makeup a whole head coach.

3. Tom Thibodeau: His adjustment in the playoffs is predicated on Rose taking more shots, everyone knows how he plays Deng and Korver...he has the most predictable offense in the league. He and D'Antoni should consider joining forces to make one head coach.

4. Larry Drew: Seriously, is anyone even surprised at what the Hawks do anymore? first they made Joe Johnson the highest paid player last off-season then they retained this guy as coach. Maybe they have a different method of measuring success in Atlanta.

Lol do you realize the **** teams Rivers coached before he got some actual talent? How could you possibly say Rivers is a bad coach?

Thibodeau? Are you high? He was an amazing defensive coach for the C's and he coached the Bulls to the best record in the league.

:facepalm:

3Blueforyou
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I wonder if OP realizes that those are the coaches of 5 of the 6 top teams in Eastern Conference? I really wish I knew who the other team in the top 6 was, we may just know his motives if we could figure that out.

HeatBBall
06-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I see this thread getting ugly really soon. I don't think Doc Rivers is overrated at all, and I don't think I can agree with you on Thibs being overrated just yet. He's a rookie coach and like someone already said won COY. That just doesn't happy your rookie year coaching I think. Now don't get me wrong COY doesn't mean much sometimes if you have a good team regardless ** cough * Mike Brown* cough**.. lol. So who knows, I just think its too early to give him a title of overrated.

king4day
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Right, Thibodeau turns a bunch of players who can't play D into the best defensive team in the league. But yea, he's overrated.

Why isn't Spo in there since he has 3 of the top players in the league on his team?

king4day
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM

This is what I'm thinking. This one may have a short lifespan.

jp611
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Dnewguy baiting again :laugh2:

king4day
06-07-2011, 11:32 AM

SVG, D'Antoni, and Brooks all just have good teams but are the best coaches. SVG cracks under pressure, D'Antoni does NOT coach defense, and Brooks is kind of just riding his team. Drew also has a pretty good team but isnt a great coach, he just gets recognition for beating the Magic in 7 (Howard needs help), and taking the Rose-reliant Bulls to 6. The Pheonix Suns had the talent this year to still make the playoffs, Gentry is just an underachiever who got credit for taking the Suns to the WCF when they were clearly the 2nd best team in the West last season. Those are my top 5.

Last season we added Frye (who was garbage in Portland) and Lou Amundson. He made that work with his rotations. Turned D'Antoni's 7 man rotation into a 10 man.
The Suns became one of the best teams in the league by the end of the year but come on now, no one had us even making the playoffs, let alone getting two wins from the finals.

This year (also predicted to not reach the postseason) we lose Amar'e, had 0 allstars, Nash was injured more this year than any other year, went through 2 trades (1 very significant), and still had 40 wins.

Gentry should be closer to last on the list of 'overrated'.

mttwlsn16
06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
spo, im pretty sure i could coach a team consistin of lebron, wade, bosh and take them deep in the playoffs

NYK|NYY
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Wouldn't people have to highly regard Dantoni for him to be overrated?

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Not Surprised, bashing Lebron is ok but saying a coach is overrated is baiting. LMAO

Right, Thibodeau turns a bunch of players who can't play D into the best defensive team in the league. But yea, he's overrated.

Why isn't Spo in there since he has 3 of the top players in the league on his team?

What players? Didn't know Korver became a defensive beast. So is better than Thibs btw, and nobody ever ranked Spo as high as Thibs was ranked.

This is what I'm thinking. This one may have a short lifespan.

OK really? We are not allowed to invole any Bulls player or coach in a sentence anymore?

Dnewguy baiting again :laugh2:

Saying Thibs is overrated is baiting? LMAO, but you're ok with the rest, just Thibs is the baiting. A bunch of hypocrites you are. If I had not mentioned Thibs does that make it a good thread?
Maybe you should name your own instead of baiting accusations.

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Has everyone forgotten how Bulls fans were saying Spo is not on Thibs level prior to the finals? I am saying Thibs is overrated, I didnt say he's a bad coach. He's just not as good as some of you say he is.

ManRam
06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Amazing that SVG goes from a consensus top 5-10 coach, to debatable #1 overrated over the span of one season...

The whole "he cracks under pressure" thing is a joke. Shaq said it once, and everyone ate it up. Name one circumstance for me where HE cracked under pressure. Bet you can't...

Thibs is the furthest thing from overrated as possible. He has as much, if not more, to do with Chicago's turn around than anything else.

godolphins
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Same thing I was thinking

The Final Boss
06-07-2011, 11:45 AM

So Van Gundy, D'Antoni, and Brooks are great coaches with good teams who couldn't get the job done? I don't expect much from you, but for the sake of PSD you need to say something substantial from time to time. Your ideas tend to take on water before you process them.

dnewguy
Amazing that SVG goes from a consensus top 5-10 coach, to debatable #1 overrated over the span of one season...

Thibs is the furthest thing from overrated as possible. He has as much, if not more, to do with Chicago's turn around than anything else.

ok. I see why he lost 4 straight in the conference finals. Asik injury must have been a huge blow.

3Blueforyou
Not Surprised, bashing Lebron is ok but saying a coach is overrated is baiting. LMAO

What players? Didn't know Korver became a defensive beast. So is better than Thibs btw, and nobody ever ranked Spo as high as Thibs was ranked.

OK really? We are not allowed to invole any Bulls player or coach in a sentence anymore?

Saying Thibs is overrated is baiting? LMAO, but you're ok with the rest, just Thibs is the baiting. A bunch of hypocrites you are. If I had not mentioned Thibs does that make it a good thread?
Maybe you should name your own instead of baiting accusations.

You claim that every team in the east currently able to challenge the heat going forward have overrated coaches. Then you expect nobody to suspect your motives, thus claiming baiting. :eyebrow:

Slimsim
06-07-2011, 11:46 AM
mike D
Mike Brown'
phil jackson
Jerry sloan

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Same thing I was thinking

Have you forgotten how people said Thibs would totally out-coach Spo? If that doesn't make him overrated, I don't know what will. Thibs is just like D'Antoni, he's a one-dimensional coach.

Silent
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
ok. I see why he lost 4 straight in the conference finals. Asik injury must have been a huge blow.

You are a jack ***

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:48 AM
You claim that every team in the east currently able to challenge the heat going forward have overrated coaches. Then you expect nobody to suspect your motives, thus claiming baiting. :eyebrow:

I backed my claim up with facts.

dnewguy
06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
You are a jack ***

I don't see a need for insults, you guys swept us in the regular season.

todu82
06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Thibodeau is far from over-rated. His first year as coach he led a team to the best record in the league and the Eastern Conference finals.

3Blueforyou
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I backed my claim up with facts.

5.Stan Van Gundy: Long story short, OVERRATED.

your right, the facts are overwhelming.

omdigga
i wouldnt put thibs on the list..

dnewguy
Thibodeau is far from over-rated. His first year as coach he led a team to the best record in the league and the Eastern Conference finals.

But they were expected to with the championship apparently because he's a better coach than SPO.

ackar
06-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Oh lord where are these facts? everything you stated was opinion. Just because someone said Thibs would out coach Spo that's their opinion. Just because that opinion did not happen does not mean said opinion validates it as you to use as fact.

Not a fan of Mike D but we all knew what he was in the first place. then consider the fact his team was gutted for primarily one player. Same thing for Stan V. The GM took a great team made a move that turned them into a good or mediocre team.

The suns are going nowhere with that roster and playing in the west... maybe you could do better.

Doc won coach of the year took a Magic team to the playoffs. Took over a crappy Boston team stuck it out and won aa title.

End all most teams would be more than happy to take at least 3 out of your 5 overrated crappy coaches.

Raph12
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Rivers won COY in Orlando when he took TMac and scrubs to the playoffs with a record over .500, how is he overrated?

godolphins
06-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Have you forgotten how people said Thibs would totally out-coach Spo? If that doesn't make him overrated, I don't know what will. Thibs is just like D'Antoni, he's a one-dimensional coach.
Thibs is far from overrated

Nicolasvon
06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Could you please stop comparing Thibs to Spo! This is not a knock on Spo, but he did have the assistance of a Hall of Fame caliber coach in Pat Reiley to help him out. (note: if the Bulls had that kind of support within the organization it would be foolish not utilize it). Also the expectations of Bulls grew as the successes of the team grew. If you would have told most rational NBA fans that the Bulls would finish the year with the best regular season record and lead the league in defense and make it to the eastern conference finals, no one would have believed you. So you have to give Thibs his dues as part of this process.

Cubs Win
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
dnewguy = FAIL

Cbast09
06-07-2011, 12:28 PM
spo, im pretty sure i could coach a team consistin of lebron, wade, bosh and take them deep in the playoffs

No the Heat are winning in the playoffs because of their defense and their clutch play down the stretch. Spo went through scrutiny all season and stuck with his philosophy to finally find success. He knew it was a process. Very good defensive coach. Plus he's made the playoffs every year as a coach especially with some bad teams.

Kashmir13579
06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
All Dnewguy did was mention 3 world renowned coaches and say they're over-rated while giving the most shallow and brief explanation. How is this not a bait thread?

ChitownSports16
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
dnewguy = FAIL

This X 2

:facepalm:

haggis
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
:laugh2:

quality stuff here dnewguy.

Rego247
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
5.Stan Van Gundy: Long story short, OVERRATED.

your right, the facts are overwhelming.

:laugh: nice.

Kashmir13579
06-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Seriously, people get raped and murdered everyday, America is still at war, the job market is in the tank, and Dnewguy still gets to make threads... wtf is wrong with this world??

ChitownSports16
06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Seriously, people get raped and murdered everyday, America is still at war, the job market is in the tank, and Dnewguy still gets to make threads... wtf is wrong with this world??

:clap: so true!

rhino17
06-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Doc Rivers for sure, the guy is not even a good coach, I would consider him among the 5 worst coaches in the NBA

I would also include D'Antoni, but I think it is now a consensus that he sucks

Tom Thibodeau is what he is, he was Jeff Van Gundy's protege and coaches accordingly, he can get a lot of his guys during the regular season and come playoff time, their lack of offensive knowledge is exposed and they rely far too much on a single star for everything (Rose in Thibs case, tmac in JVGs), I would not call him overrated personally

haggis
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Tom Thibodeau is what he is, he was Jeff Van Gundy's protege and coaches accordingly, he can get a lot of his guys during the regular season and come playoff time, their lack of offensive knowledge is exposed and they rely far too much on a single star for everything (Rose in Thibs case, tmac in JVGs), I would not call him overrated personally

While what you said is not necessarily wrong, do you think it's fair to judge a coach on 1 season?

COOLbeans
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Erik Spoelstra. He's never been a special coach.

LeonFSU
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Larry Drew is overrated? What would be the consensus on where he ranks as a coach anyway? He is overrated because Atlanta's management retained him and overpaid for Joe Johnson? That makes sense. I don't really think anyone has given him much credit at all so I don't see how he is overrated.

Actually I think he did a surprisingly good job adjusting in the Orlando and Chicago series. Their team just isn't good enough. Granted he should have played Teague sooner and IMO, given Marvin Williams a bigger role, but that team has really hit its ceiling as currently constructed. They desperately need a defensive center not named Jason Collins or Zaza Pachulia.

rhino17
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
While what you said is not necessarily wrong, do you think it's fair to judge a coach on 1 season?

Yes I do, that is also why I said he was NOT overrated

None of what I said means he is a bad coach, just means he has flaws, I would still take him over most coaches in the league

Erik Spoelstra. He's never been a special coach.

Has anyone ever called him a special coach? He can't be overrated if no one even rates him, It is too early to judge him for one, and he did a good job with the Heat before Lebron and Bosh got there

haggis
06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes I do, that is also why I said he was NOT overrated

None of what I said means he is a bad coach, just means he has flaws, I would still take him over most coaches in the league

Sorry, I missed that. Gotcha.

EaglePride615
06-07-2011, 12:53 PM
for one, doc out coached phil in last years finals. two tibbs gave them team d, you didnt used to think of chicago as having good d. now they have the best team d in the nba. in one season. cmon now

eugene
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Spo is not on the list and Rivers is there? Are you sure? Spo plays three top NBA players in their prime and had some work to do before getting into the finals. The only reason why Cs didn't take more titles is their age and injuries... The only year they played healthy they took rings. So c'mon dude!

ShiroRX
06-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Spo is not on the list and Rivers is there? Are you sure? Spo plays three top NBA players in their prime and had some work to do before getting into the finals. The only reason why Cs didn't take more titles is their age and injuries... The only year they played healthy they took rings. So c'mon dude!

Spo has made the playoffs so far every year he's been coaching, long before Lebronukkah.

iHoop
06-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Lol!!! :laugh:
That's exactly what I was thinking of too.
Thibodeau did coach his team to the #1 overall in the NBA and got coach of the year. Yeah he lost in the playoffs but I'm sure they will be back next year and for many years to come.

Baller1
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Anyone using the Coach of the Year award as a part of their argument is overvaluing the award. It means nothing.

1. Scott Brooks

JonnyBrav000
06-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Is your head on straight??? Doc Rivers overrated??? I have know idea what would make you say something like that, also, Tom Thibodeau overrated?? You are such a tool. First of all The Bulls didn't have the talent of the Heat, if anyone is overrated it's coach Spo, he has the biggest 3 of the big 3's and if they lose to the Mavs I will be laughing my A$s off for such a long time.

By the way, Doc Rivers did not do a bad job in Orlando and the team in Boston was terrible before KG and Allen, and he actually did well his first season with Boston.

Once again, you are a tool, put coach Spo on the celtics and Rivers on the Heat, the Heat would probably be up 3-0 right now.

Master Mind
06-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I've always liked Doc Rivers :shrug:

Master Mind
06-07-2011, 01:46 PM
So who are the underrated coaches?...

KnicksR4Real
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I think mike sucks, but he isn't overrated. There's not a single person that likes him

DeyAce
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM

:clap:

nyanks79
06-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I think mike sucks, but he isn't overrated. There's not a single person that likes him

Sure there is. People who actually look into stuff and dont fall for certain easy perceptions.

theheatles
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
lol spo is overrated?!?!?!? how? spo literally took over the team with the worst record in the league in his 1st season as head coach, had a winning record and made the playoffs...then his 2nd yr he made the playoffs and ran into the celtics in the 1st rd, unfortunately...and now in his 3rd yr he's in position to win an nba title because he got his superstars to buy in to his defensive scheme

Fenominon
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Vinnie Del Negro took the Bulls to the playoffs both years he coached the Bulls. Therefore, he is just as good a coach as Spo. If Del Negro had the big three think of where he would be now.

younggunn113
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM

dnewguy is a master baiter

PLAYERS FAN
06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Gregg Popovich
Larry Brown
Phil Jackson

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Dnewguy is the best poster in the NBA forum, and it's not even close.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Take Doc and Thibs out. Insert Spo and Mike Brown.

Fnom11
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Spo #1 overrated.

unwantedplayer
06-07-2011, 03:14 PM

Did I miss reading where this was supposed to be a joke?

Arch Stanton
06-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Well if you put Doc Rivers in that category I guess you gotta put Spoelstra. Didn't he inherit a Big 3 also? It seems like DNewGuy is a huge Heat baiter. Always making threads bashing other teams.

Rndy
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
People still read posts from Dnew? He's been a garbage poster since the day he arrived when the big three did.

justinnum1
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Take Doc and Thibs out. Insert Spo and Mike Brown.

How the hell i spo overrated? No one talks about him. Thibs and mike d are overrated, but spo is not.

Spo is rated just fine, no overrated or underrated.

greenbaythunder
06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Did I just wake up from a deep coma and its april 1st again??????

greenbaythunder
06-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Lol but on da real let some1 make a thread asking for every1 top 10 coaches right now n I bet u in each of dem some1 overrate or underates a coach on da list. And dat is a guarentee( however u spell it(college drop out lol))

ne3xchamps
06-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Funny how you don't have spo's punk *** in your list. Oh but if he wins a championship you will probably have him as the best coach in the league. :laugh2: Way to go newguy.

Voodoo Alchemy
06-07-2011, 04:36 PM

why is he overrated and not someone like phil jackson? we all know how many rings he's won but how many did he win without 2 superstars? ZERO!

thibodeau took them further in the playoffs than phil did. the bulls just ran into a team with better talent.

jtsunami
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
:laugh:

I can't even count how many times there were fire Spo threads in the Heat forum and dnewguy was the ring leader. Now that they have a 2-1 lead in the Finals Spo is great and the other East coaches are overrated.

Because Spo looked down his bench one game and found Haslem to play AFTER he played Jamal Magloire now he looks like a genius. :laugh2:

I just don't understand how justinnum and dnewguy still have accounts at this place.

Da Knicks
06-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Last thread that i ever read from this poster.

valade16
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
How the hell i spo overrated? No one talks about him. Thibs and mike d are overrated, but spo is not.

Spo is rated just fine, no overrated or underrated.

This is just too funny.

During the regular season Derrick Rose MVP campaign the consensus among Rose haters was "Rose isn't the MVP, it's Thibs amazing Defense that has them doing so well"

Imagine my surprise that as soon as it comes to overrated coaches Thibs happens to make THOSE SAME PEOPLES list.

My, the irony is too much!

Rosh
06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't think some of you understand what baiting really is.

jtsunami
06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Great point valade. Irony at it's finest.

Cbast09
06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
This is a bait thread and you are all part of it. Like I said, Spo is a good defensive coach. He handled the pressure well. He's not overrated nor is he underrated. He's good enough to win a title. His offense could be a lot better.

Arch Stanton
06-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I can't even count how many times there were fire spo threads in the heat forum and dnewguy was the ring leader. Now that they have a 2-1 lead in the finals spo is great and the other east coaches are overrated.

Because spo looked down his bench one game and found haslem to play after he played jamal magloire now he looks like a genius. :laugh2:

I just don't understand how justinnum and dnewguy still have accounts at this place.

+1

hugepatsfan
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Didn't Doc win a Coach of the Year award in ORL during a year where Grant Hill was hurt...

Sportfan
06-07-2011, 09:09 PM

I LOVE how a HEAT fan makes a thread about coaches being overrated, and then calls each coach of the top 6 eastern teams (except the Heat) overrated. Take your 80 IQ level back to the Heat forum please.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Gotta love stupid threads in the NBA forum.