PDA

View Full Version : Philly and Golden State having semi-serious trade talks over Iguodala for Ellis

NYSpirit1
06-07-2011, 12:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6633355

The Golden State Warriors and Philadelphia 76ers have discussed a trade that would send the Warriors' leading scorer, Monta Ellis, to the 76ers for Andre Iguodala, according to league sources, including one with direct knowledge of Golden State's thinking.

One source stressed that completion of the deal is not imminent but that it has merits for both sides.

The Warriors would beef up their perimeter size and defense with Iguodala, who is 6'6" and 207 pounds and can play shooting guard or small forward. Iguodala would be paired with the 6'3", 185-pound Stephen Curry at point guard and 6'9" small forward Dorell Wright.

The Sixers, meanwhile, would be getting an electric scoring guard in the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Ellis, create an opening at small forward for rookie Evan Turner, and slice some money off their payroll.

Ellis is owed $11 million for each of the next three seasons. Iguodala makes $13.5 million next season and the contract increases by $1.2 million each of the next two years.

Their current salaries are close enough that the swap could be made without any other additional considerations and meet league salary-cap rules.

Great trade for both sides. Philadelphia desperately needs a new star to fill the void Iverson left when he was traded years ago. And they need to mix up the team and Holiday, Ellis and Turner would be a good 1, 2, 3 rotation. Many other teams in the East being active in trade talks the past few years and the Sixers have done nothing. And with Chris Paul and Dwight Howard's contracts likely to be sorted out, there will be no superstars out there for Philadelphia.

Secondly, Curry and Ellis is a horrible backcourt combination. The Warriors could use Iguodala.

Chacarron
06-07-2011, 12:10 AM
I like it for the Warriors.

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Good for the Warriors. I don't know about Philly though

DoMeFavors
06-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Good for both teams, Philly will get a great scorer and Golden State will get a great defender who can pass off easily to their shooters.

Bruno
06-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Great for the Warriors. But why on earth would the 76ers do this? Holiday? Williams?

MrfadeawayJB
06-07-2011, 12:16 AM
this would be good for both teams. Warriors get a defender/ borderline allstar to pair up with curry, Ellis goes to a team where he can score and win. Not to mention philly can develop evan turner into a solid 2-3 wing player

kozelkid
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Not sure I like it for Philly, but they at least get rid of Iggy's huge contract. Love it for GS though. Not sure what this means for Dorell Wright though. But this is definitely a step in the right direction for Golden State.

Sadds The Gr8
06-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Not sure I like it for Philly, but they at least get rid of Iggy's huge contract. Love it for GS though. Not sure what this means for Dorell Wright though. But this is definitely a step in the right direction for Golden State.

Iggy will probably play SG.

Mplsman
06-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Not a bad trade for both teams imo, especially for GS.

kozelkid
06-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Iggy will probably play SG.

In which case he'll be out of position, he should be at 3.

Wade>You
06-07-2011, 12:25 AM
It's great to see teams making moves to compete. I think the Warriors could be contenders in the West because they can already score. They just need to shed that rep as a "poor defensive team" like Dallas did. It's really all about getting the benefit of the doubt anyways.

More-Than-Most
06-07-2011, 12:34 AM
please yes... PLEASE YES... we get the scorer we need and get rid of the player that is hindering turners growth. If this happens I will streak in their very first home game out of Joy and excitement... MARK IT DOWN.

DeyAce
06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Pretty even trade

AllBall
06-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Edit for the morons who can't read.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Sixers fans were hoping we could net a big with iggy, but that seems pretty unrealistic and Rod Thorn has stated that we're going to be looking to address our big man needs in the draft.

Pretty even trade IMO that helps both teams immensely.

Sixers need a go-to scorer who can fit in with the teams fast-breaking and athletic mold.

Monta is a top 5 scorer in the NBA and would instantly fill a huge need.

PG: Jrue Holiday/ Lou Will
SG: Monta Ellis/ Jodie Meeks
SF: Evan Turner/ Craig Brackins
PF: Elton Brand/ Thaddeus Young/ Speights
C: Draft Big/ Spencer Hawes

I actually really like the looks of that squad.

Very deep and young team. Explosive backcourt rotation as well.

Giraffes Rule
06-07-2011, 12:39 AM
An offensive player who isn't big on D for another offensive player who isn't big on D. Seems like a lateral move to me. I would give Ellis the edge on the offensive end...and the better handshake...

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/354674/6t1qfo.gif

You know Iggy is regarded as one of the better perimeter defenders in the league, right?

AllBall
06-07-2011, 12:42 AM
I wasn't impressed with him in the first round, sorry.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
An offensive player who isn't big on D for another offensive player who isn't big on D. Seems like a lateral move to me. I would give Ellis the edge on the offensive end...and the better handshake...

http://i47.tinypic.com/34pgzgl.gif

Iggy was 2nd team all defense, what are you talking about?

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I wasn't impressed with him in the first round, sorry.

http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/iguodalas-victim-list.php

Badluck33
06-07-2011, 12:44 AM
i think its pretty even. like the article says- Phily sheds cap and make a spot for Turner.

AllBall
06-07-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/iguodalas-victim-list.php

Touche

tredigs
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
The deal I've been pushing for for a little over a year.

Strengthens our defense significantly while allowing Curry the freedom to become a star in this league. Monta gets a bad rap at this point by many fans - he can truly be a huge player in this league - but he's not the player for GS anymore. Hasn't been since Baron left.

asandhu23
06-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Watch Ellis make the All Star Game next year if this trade happens.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Touche

Lebron torched Iggy in the playoffs, no denying that.

But he is the best perimeter defender in the NBA IMO because no one tries harder on D. He tips more passes than any player I've ever seen, just because of his insane wingspan and athleticism. He may lack emotion, but his effort on the defensive end is 2nd to none and it really shows.

I hate his lack of shooting consistency, but you can be certain that whoever he's guarding (not named lebron) won't be scoring in the double digits that night, its pretty much guaranteed and I think that's remarkable in today's game.

Antipod
06-07-2011, 12:52 AM
GS gets a player in the starting 5 who could actually play D and free up Curry ... 76ers get their scoring player that they so hardly miss.

Equal trade for both teams.

LakersA's49ers
06-07-2011, 12:55 AM
iguodola would bring much needed toughness and DEFENSE for Golden State. not a bad trade

LA_Raiders
06-07-2011, 12:55 AM
It is a good trade for both teams, But it is a side improvement, In this days NBA a team needs at least 2-3 All Stars to compete...

sep11ie
06-07-2011, 01:02 AM

http://i47.tinypic.com/34pgzgl.gif

Umm, Iggy is an "offensive player who isn't big on D"? Did you just start watching basketball in Feb 2011?

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 01:26 AM

Of course he will. He'll be playing on the east coast.

John Walls Era
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
I like Ellis more, but Iggy is going to give Marc Jackson a defensive stopper.

hugepatsfan
06-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Iggy would be such a perfect compliment to Curry, Wright, and Lee in GS. They would need a big defensive C to complete that starting 5.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Please no.

EaglePride615
06-07-2011, 01:34 AM
if this goes down. 6ers will be legit. theyve just been missing a scorer and if monta goes there.... that will be scary. their a good team all the games we played against them were close, even though we won in 5.

this would be great for evan turner who i think will be the best pick out of the past draft. he just needs some serious pt

210Don
06-07-2011, 01:35 AM
both teams will still suck...

Korman12
06-07-2011, 01:37 AM

Sixers didn't suck ... they were average.

210Don
06-07-2011, 01:38 AM

your right, i mean as far as neither team will improve from where there at

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 01:39 AM

Man be quite. Your arrogant bro. Try being a die hard fan of a team that hasnt dont well at all in recent years. Watch how bad the Spurs will be in 3-4 years.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 01:39 AM

you tell him Korman...

don't **** with .500, ya dig?

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Man be quite. Your arrogant bro. Try being a die hard fan of a team that hasnt dont well at all in recent years. Watch how bad the Spurs will be in 3-4 years.

For real, he's mad that his team is withering away while the Sixers and Warriors have hope for the future.

And maybe cause the sucky Sixers beat their ***** last time they played.

AllBall
06-07-2011, 01:44 AM
The 76ers are making better moves than the Knicks in their off season so far. This will be interesting.

JPHX
06-07-2011, 01:47 AM
meh IMO philly might have trouble with perimeter defense now if they put 6'3 ellis at the wing. Iggy is a huge reason why Philly was a pretty decent defensive team. Sure they will score but they should send another piece over and see if they can land biedrins in the process and shore up the front court to compensate.

SportsFanatic10
06-07-2011, 01:48 AM
i like it. if this happens i think it makes alot of sense both ways. turner needs more court time to see what hes got at this level. and the warriors and marc jackson need some d.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 01:53 AM
meh IMO philly might have trouble with perimeter defense now if they put 6'3 ellis at the wing. Iggy is a huge reason why Philly was a pretty decent defensive team. Sure they will score but they should send another piece over and see if they can land biedrins in the process and shore up the front court to compensate.

True, but we're lucky we have Jrue Holiday who is one of the biggest PG's in the league at 6'4 200.

The sixers got by with a starting backcourt of Jrue and Jodie Meeks (6'4") because of Jrue's ability to guard both positions this season.

I agree though, that the sixers will need a defensive minded C in order to shore up our line-up

John Walls Era
06-07-2011, 01:54 AM
:laugh:

I like this for GS. Iggy coming in who can play SG next to Curry. That gives them a really good backcourt combo. Now they need a post player (since their run and shoot days are done). Kaman is on the market and wouldn't be a terrible fit.

Lloyd Christmas
06-07-2011, 01:59 AM
A trade for Iggy followed by signing a defensive C like Chandler or Jordan would do wonders for the Warriors. Please happen...

210Don
06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
lol wtf i dont get how just because i dont think the trade improves either team. im arrogant and know nothing about bball. lmao and who cares about the spurs lol
i rather iggy stay in philly they got a good thing going there.

More-Than-Most
06-07-2011, 02:04 AM
If any of you actually watched Iggy trying to be the number 1 option you would understand how great a day this would be for sixers fans. I do agree his defense would be missed but we would get over it after continually watching him take the final shot game in and game out while bricking horribly and walking off the court with a dumb look on his face

JPHX
06-07-2011, 02:10 AM
True, but we're lucky we have Jrue Holiday who is one of the biggest PG's in the league at 6'4 200.

The sixers got by with a starting backcourt of Jrue and Jodie Meeks (6'4") because of Jrue's ability to guard both positions this season.

I agree though, that the sixers will need a defensive minded C in order to shore up our line-up

still you dont wanna put all that pressure on Jrue. Iggy was 6'6 200+. your then going to a 6'3 185 ellis. theres gonna be a drop off. if it doesnt truly help your team out then you probably should hold back until you get a deal that fills multiple needs.

esscobar05
06-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Warrior fan here... Hell no!
I never liked Ike.. Keep Monta and make it work Dubs!

TrueFan420
06-07-2011, 02:15 AM
still you dont wanna put all that pressure on Jrue. Iggy was 6'6 200+. your then going to a 6'3 185 ellis. theres gonna be a drop off. if it doesnt truly help your team out then you probably should hold back until you get a deal that fills multiple needs.

iggy started at sf for them and meeks who was 6'4 started at sg

Public Enemy #1
06-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Man, everyone hates Ellis on PSD. lol People on here have no idea what they are talking about. People saying Iggy would be able to pass to open shooters and what not... what shooters would that be? Warriors already got rid of streaky shooters last summer. All the great shooters they have now are Curry and D. Wright. and Wright isn't exactly a consistent shooter from the perimeter. Sure, he would improve the defense but Ellis isn't the real issue for GS. Its Biedrins, who is so injury plagued and lacking all sorts of confidence that has made him into one of the worst players in the league. He needs to get traded before Ellis does. But of course, nobody would take is ridiculous contract. BTW, Iggy can't get anywhere near the output that Ellis has been putting up the last couple of years. Warriors offensive already went progressively down when they changed to Keith Smart's style of play this year, its only going to get worse if they get rid of their best penetrator and closer.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 02:21 AM
If any of you actually watched Iggy trying to be the number 1 option you would understand how great a day this would be for sixers fans. I do agree his defense would be missed but we would get over it after continually watching him take the final shot game in and game out while bricking horribly and walking off the court with a dumb look on his face

To be fair, you are Iggy's #1 hater on PSD.

As for the fans, sure they'll be happy to have a guy who can score better than Iggy, but the facts remains that Monta doesn't do one single other thing better than him.

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 02:23 AM
Man, everyone hates Ellis on PSD. lol People on here have no idea what they are talking about. People saying Iggy would be able to pass to open shooters and what not... what shooters would that be? Warriors already got rid of streaky shooters last summer. All the great shooters they have now are Curry and D. Wright. and Wright isn't exactly a consistent shooter from the perimeter. Sure, he would improve the defense but Ellis isn't the real issue for GS. Its Biedrins, who is so injury plagued and lacking all sorts of confidence that has made him into one of the worst players in the league. He needs to get traded before Ellis does. But of course, nobody would take is ridiculous contract. BTW, Iggy can't get anywhere near the output that Ellis has been putting up the last couple of years. Warriors offensive already went progressively down when they changed to Keith Smart's style of play this year, its only going to get worse if they get rid of their best penetrator and closer.

Biedrins is not the only problem in GS. Iguodala is one of the best wing defenders in the league & isn't to bad on offense either. I would much rather have an all around player then a pure scorer any day.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 02:24 AM
Biedrins is not the only problem in GS. Iguodala is one of the best wing defenders in the league & isn't to bad on offense either. I would much rather have an all around player then a pure scorer any day.

Ba-boom

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 02:24 AM
To be fair, you are Iggy's #1 hater on PSD.

As for the fans, sure they'll be happy to have a guy who can score better than Iggy, but the facts remains that Monta doesn't do one single other thing better than him.

True. But with Holliday at PG you have someone who can guard most SG's because of his stature.

JPHX
06-07-2011, 02:25 AM
iggy started at sf for them and meeks who was 6'4 started at sg

my point is their still getting smaller. and there will be drop off in defense.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 02:28 AM
True. But with Holliday at PG you have someone who can guard most SG's because of his stature.

Also somewhat true, but it still takes the defense in the backcourt down a level. While Jrue is good on D, and should get better, there are so few people on Iggy's level on that side of the ball. It's not even fair to compare the differential you have between him and Monta there.

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 02:30 AM

Like I said before Holliday can guard most SG's & on the night's where he cant you can put Turner at SG and have Holliday & Ellis platoon the PG position.

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Also somewhat true, but it still takes the defense in the backcourt down a level. While Jrue is good on D, and should get better, there are so few people on Iggy's level on that side of the ball. It's not even fair to compare the differential you have between him and Monta there.

No doubt Iguodala is on a complete other level compared to Ellis on defense. And the reason I think the 76ers & Warriors are considering this is because they are both in the same position with Turner & Curry waiting in the wings to take over.

JPHX
06-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Like I said before Holliday can guard most SG's & on the night's where he cant you can put Turner at SG and have Holliday & Ellis platoon the PG position.

and their still giving up one of the better defenders in the league. they may have the pieces to cover those positions but there will be a drop off in talent level from a defensive standpoint.

TrueFan420
06-07-2011, 02:41 AM

ok so their going from a 6'4 sg to a 6'3 o my god what a big difference. yes they will miss iggys d but they will love monta's o

OaklandsFinest
06-07-2011, 02:42 AM
I love this trade!!!! DO IT *ben stiller in starsky in hutch voice* Then if we could just get a taker for Lee!!

JPHX
06-07-2011, 02:44 AM
ok so their going from a 6'4 sg to a 6'3 o my god what a big difference. yes they will miss iggys d but they will love monta's o

what good is monta's offense if they struggle to stop opposing wings? there needs to be more compensation for philly if they give up iguodala.

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 02:47 AM
what good is monta's offense if they struggle to stop opposing wings? there needs to be more compensation for philly if they give up iguodala.

How would they have trouble stopping opposing wings, With Turner being able to play SG when the 76ers play against bigger SG's and Young being able to slide over to SF, and that would allow a platoon of Holliday and Ellis at PG.

Utley4MVP
06-07-2011, 02:53 AM
If Monta started at SG and Turner at SF they wouldnt really be losing any size....6'3 Ellis at SG in stead of 6'4 Meeks and 6'7 Turner at SF instead of 6'6 Iggy. Of course theyre going to lose defense...thats gonna happen no matter what in an Iggy trade because hesa an elite defender. But i think this is a good deal...its gives us the SCORER we need. Dont underestimate the D of Holiday and the defender that Turner grows into

JPHX
06-07-2011, 03:04 AM
How would they have trouble stopping opposing wings, With Turner being able to play SG when the 76ers play against bigger SG's and Young being able to slide over to SF, and that would allow a platoon of Holliday and Ellis at PG.

so in the case of Turner moving to SG and Thad young in the SF slot, you have a PG, SG, SF reserve lineup of: Lou williams (6'1), Ellis(6'3), and Meeks (6'4)? vs what they have now: Williams (6'1), Turner (6'7), Young (6'8)?

their bigger and better defensively if they hold off unless you compensate them more instead of just ellis.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 03:11 AM
If Monta started at SG and Turner at SF they wouldnt really be losing any size....6'3 Ellis at SG in stead of 6'4 Meeks and 6'7 Turner at SF instead of 6'6 Iggy. Of course theyre going to lose defense...thats gonna happen no matter what in an Iggy trade because hesa an elite defender. But i think this is a good deal...its gives us the SCORER we need. Dont underestimate the D of Holiday and the defender that Turner grows into

But in this case the Sixers are trading position for position, when ideally the team will would bolster their center position (upgrading defense there). This is just lateral, or a step backwards.

Utley4MVP
06-07-2011, 03:14 AM
^^ I disagree. I said in a different post that maybe we can work this deal so we swap picks this year and get in range to snag Biyombo.

PG- Holiday
SG- Ellis
SF- Turner
PF- Brand
C- Biyombo

Bench

Lou
Thad
Hawes
Meeks
Etc

Monta is beast
06-07-2011, 03:18 AM
But in this case the Sixers are trading position for position, when ideally the team will would bolster their center position (upgrading defense there). This is just lateral, or a step backwards.

Well if the trade does go down i can pretty much assure you it's not going to just be an Ellis for Iguodala swap. It's probably going to be Ellis & Udoh for Iguodala & Williams. And the Warriors would use Williams as either a bench warmer or a backup PG, but Lou can't play [G very well. I think it would work if Reggie Williams would play the point forward and Lou Williams would play off the ball.

Curry-L.Williams
Iguodala-R.Williams (point forward)
Wright-Thorton
Lee-FA/Draft
Biedrins-FA/Draft

Korman12
06-07-2011, 03:19 AM
^^ I disagree. I said in a different post that maybe we can work this deal so we swap picks this year and get in range to snag Biyombo.

PG- Holiday
SG- Ellis
SF- Turner
PF- Brand
C- Biyombo

Bench

Lou
Thad
Hawes
Meeks
Etc

Well if a pick is in play that's different, but nothing else has been said at the moment.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Well if the trade does go down i can pretty much assure you it's not going to just be an Ellis for Iguodala swap. It's probably going to be Ellis & Udoh for Iguodala & Williams. And the Warriors would use Williams as either a bench warmer or a backup PG, but Lou can't play [G very well. I think it would work if Reggie Williams would play the point forward and Lou Williams would play off the ball.

Curry-L.Williams
Iguodala-R.Williams (point forward)
Wright-Thorton
Lee-FA/Draft
Biedrins-FA/Draft

I do think Lou Will is overrated too, but he's not "bench warmer" level. His per 36 minutes is almost identical to Monta in every stat - which is maybe a big key why I'm not a fan of this deal.

agentHAM
06-07-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm liking this trade for both teams. I can see Iggy in a Warrior's jersey. I wanted to see what Evan could do at the 2, but if he's at the SF I will take it. Thad should also get minutes at SF too. With Jrue and Monta in the backcourt, It reminds me of the Snow/Iverson days. Jrue would be sticking the bigger guards.

I just don't want Lou Will or Thad involved in any of this.

mcgswfan
06-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Don't forget that if you have Monta alongside a legit PG, in this case, hopefully Jrue, then he will feast on teams out there. Monta's best and most efficient days as a Warrior were when he played the 2 with Baron at the 1. He was extremely effective because he didn't need to dominate the ball handling, he could just cut and use his quickness advantage and still make all those incredible "under the rim" finishes that he is known for. I love this trade for both teams, I think it helps each significantly. Philly finally gets their much needed #1 offensive option who will be playing in his most efficient form if Holiday can turn into that legit 1. Warriors get one of the best perimeter defenders in the entire league, who won't have to be the 1st offensive option which he prefers anyway and we gain some much needed size and defensive prowess as our new management alters the genetic code of our team. Sure we lose scoring as another poster mentioned, but I'd rather start winning more games by trying to stop teams on D rather than attempting to outscore teams on O.

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 03:53 AM
douple post my b

djeller1139
06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
I do like this deal, I would like to see if other offers appear, especially if we could get a bigman, but if not I would not be opposed to an Iggy for Ellis swap.

Utley4MVP
06-07-2011, 04:01 AM
Seoul i was playing around with the same kind of deal...except i dont think we get Udoh. I think thats a little lopsided in reality.... I think its a throw in instead. Which would set up almost the same except Biyombo as the starting C (hopefully) and Brackins filling in Speights' spot. Good article on him right now (brackins) on philly.com. With our 2nd rd pick being a 3/4 as added depth

SANDBURG23
06-07-2011, 04:28 AM
I want the Bulss to get one of those guys.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2011, 05:44 AM

With lesser stats?:confused:

He ain't gonna play over 40 mpg, like in GS.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2011, 05:50 AM

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Biedrins is terrible.

A trade for Iggy followed by signing a defensive C like Chandler or Jordan would do wonders for the Warriors. Please happen...

Playoffs for sure.

Meh, I don't see Philly doing any better when Ellis is running the show.

gilly
06-07-2011, 06:32 AM
I don't like this trade if it's straight. We'll lose A LOT of perimeter defense, which is pretty important when you have so many good wings in the East (Pierce/Allen/Wade/Lebron/Melo etc). I'd only like this if we got Wright and/or Udoh. Iggy is a much better all round player than Ellis, we'll see that when Ellis gets 75% of the shots he did in GS and drop in PPG. He's inefficient.

If we did it, I'd like to start Thad at the 3 and bring ET off the bench. ET is too undersized to play the 3 these days.

Silent
06-07-2011, 06:51 AM
I like it for both sides

GIANTKNICK
06-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Good trade for both teams. monta is a scoring machine and iggy is a very good defender something gs needs

JasonJohnHorn
06-07-2011, 09:15 AM
That is what Philly needs, an undersize scorer the size of a PG at SG. Oh wait, they had that. Iverson. I totally forgot.

Ellis has some SERIOUS game, but if i were a GM, I'd have some serious concern about my best scorer being only 6'3 and not being able to distribute well enough to even get a 1-2 assist-to-turnover ratio. His size makes him a defensive liability agaisnt most shooting guards, and his ball handling isnt good enough to be the primary distritbutor. I'd rather have Iggy on my team than Ellis. Iggy is a far better ball handler, and can match-up better with SGs (though he plays SF often, the way the league is going, 6'6 is going to be as much of a liability at SF as 6'3 is at shooting guard).

koreancabbage
06-07-2011, 10:11 AM
good for both teams

Philly: opens up floor for Turner now while retaining scoring from the SG position

Warriors: no **** sherlock!

sixer04fan
06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Philly would get the scorer they need, and allow the SF position to open up for Turner.

GS, well, it's a good deal for them. Win-Win.

metsfan4ever
06-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Why it makes sense for the Warriors

With the Warriors likely to hire a defensive minded head coach, the combination of Curry and Ellis from a defensive standpoint might not be acceptable, possibly prompting the Warriors to trade Ellis. A trade would allow Curry to take the reigns as the teams lead scorer, and be the PG the offense runs through. Ellis is an elite offensive SG, but Curry is too good to be playing 2nd fiddle to anyone in a back court. This would also benefit David Lee, who really started to shine down the stretch when he was fed the ball. Ideally, the Warriors would get back a bigger SG that would bring an improvement defensively and play under Curry's leadership. Ellis is a great player, that really matured last season and developed into a great leader. It'd be sad to see him go, but it might be in the best interest of the team.

metsfan4ever
06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Why it makes sense for the 76ers

The 76ers are a uniquely talented, young team, that showed a lot of improvement, but they lack a go to scorer, and that was the biggest reason they didn't stand much of a chance in the postseason. Holiday is already very good and should only get better, but I see him more as being a great all around PG, not an elite scoring PG. Even though Evan Turner had a poor rookie season, I still think he has potential to be a play-maker as a point forward or a 6th man. But he needs to improve his shooting, and until he does, he can't be looked at as a good scorer. Andre Iguodala is making too much money to not be the lead scorer that teams missing, but that shouldn't be his role on the team, and I could see the 76ers wanting to part with him for that reason.

On the 76ers, Monta would be the best scorer that team has had since AI, and would coincidentally bring some of the same skill and offensive production that he used to bring to their back court. He's improved into a good 3 point shooter, so he can now score from anywhere. He also hit quite a few big shots last season to both win games and extend them. With Holiday being a great defending PG at 6'4", he'd be the ideal big defensive partner that Ellis hasn't played with since Baron Davis left. With Holiday at PG, and Evan Turner/Thaddeus Young at SF, Monta Ellis would be a great fit at SG. He's only making 11 million a year, so he'd bring cap relief, in addition to filling a need for the 76ers.

sixer04fan
06-07-2011, 10:43 AM
My only fear with this trade for the Sixers is that we will get gang banged when we match up against the other great wing players in the East now as someone mentioned before. Who would guard Melo, Lebron, Pierce, etc? I hope Turner's ready for that.

AsikandDestroy
06-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I like this trade for both teams, in my opinion Iggy is the best wing defender not named Lebron in the game, and he will be able to help mask Curry's defensive deficiency's better than Ellis ever could. Also Curry needs to evolve into the Warrior's main man, and Iggy is a great passer and rebounder who won't need to be the big scorer on this team like tried to be with the 76er's.

Also I think if Turner is given enough PT and is allowed to be the play-maker he was in college then he will live up to his #2 draft position. Plus Philly's team defense is pretty good anyway so there may be a slight drop-off after Iggy's departure but not that much!

P.s. Mayo to Bulls is what we need!

AsikandDestroy
06-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Also 76er's need a player who can score the ball and not many players available can do it like Ellis, and Collins will turn him into a better defender, seeing as they didn't seem to teach any form of it at GS!

Illa215
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
If the Sixers get anything other than cap relief for Iguodala, then it's a win. I don't love Monta, but Iggy is the ****ing devil. I ****ing despise him, from the bottom of my heart. He's a douche bag off the court, including in the locker room. He always needs to have the ball in his hands in big situations, except he's not clutch. If he's focused and unselfish, he's great. But he's just a dick who is selfish.

Turtle55
06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Love this trade or both teams... 15 ppg from your leading scorer is crazy for Philly and GS has to get better defensively. Time to draft Stephen Curry in your fantasy drafts if this trade does happen!

And btw Ellis should do everything in his power to play with Holiday. Talk about the perfect PG for Ellis. Big enough to hide Ellis's lack of size defensively and doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective. Match made in heaven for Monta.

Sixerlover
06-07-2011, 03:56 PM
If the Sixers get anything other than cap relief for Iguodala, then it's a win. I don't love Monta, but Iggy is the ****ing devil. I ****ing despise him, from the bottom of my heart. He's a douche bag off the court, including in the locker room. He always needs to have the ball in his hands in big situations, except he's not clutch. If he's focused and unselfish, he's great. But he's just a dick who is selfish.

He's anything BUT that.

He doesn't always need to have the ball in his hands either, there is just no other option at the end of the game to go to on this team. Iguodala being dealt for an improvement would please me, I don't want Monta, that would suck.

sfgs558
06-07-2011, 04:18 PM
im a warriors fan.. but IMO it makes sense for both sides.. iggy can play the 2 for the dubs and give us a much better defensive presence at that spot, while i think i see monta being the starting 2 guard or 6th man of sorts for philly.. giving them some real offensive fire power.. and freeing up a spot for evan turner at the 3

SeoulBeatz
06-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Iggy passes the ball 67% of the time he touches it.

Meaning he was statistically the most unselfish Non-PG in the NBA.

He may not be clutch, but he certainly isn't selfish.

Matter of fact he's as unselfish as you can get lol.......

There is absolutely no grounding for your argument in this case.

JPHX
06-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Iggy passes the ball 67% of the time he touches it.

Meaning he was statistically the most unselfish Non-PG in the NBA.

He may not be clutch, but he certainly isn't selfish.

Matter of fact he's as unselfish as you can get lol.......

There is absolutely no grounding for your argument in this case.

lol then send him to the desert to play next to the most unselfish PG in the game. two unselfish guys, that ball would never get into the rim. Philly wins the trade lol.

stretch2020
06-07-2011, 04:56 PM
As a sixer season ticket holder and diehard fan, let me tell you that , Iguodala is not a GREAT defender. Each teams star runs circles around him. He only GREATLY defends guys that are second tier players. Monta Ellis is the scorer that our young team needs. With Jrue feeding him, Thad and Turner on the breaks and EB doing what EB does, They can realistically compete for that 4th spot in the east. If they address their Bigs issue they will surprise a lot of people in 2011-2012. This would be a no brainer trade for the sixers. Iguodala is highly overated and highly overpaid in this league and in 7 years has not improved his game form day 1. He is what he is, A good forth option on your team.

EaglesJackson10
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
As a sixer season ticket holder and diehard fan, let me tell you that , Iguodala is not a GREAT defender. Each teams star runs circles around him. He only GREATLY defends guys that are second tier players. Monta Ellis is the scorer that our young team needs. With Jrue feeding him, Thad and Turner on the breaks and EB doing what EB does, They can realistically compete for that 4th spot in the east. If they address their Bigs issue they will surprise a lot of people in 2011-2012. This would be a no brainer trade for the sixers. Iguodala is highly overated and highly overpaid in this league and in 7 years has not improved his game form day 1. He is what he is, A good forth option on your team.

Yeah check out the "second tier players" he shut down. http://www.depressedfan.com/basketball/sixers/iguodalas-victim-list.php

Oh wait those guys are stars. That's funny I thought that other teams stars ran circles around him. I would want to get out of Philly too if the fans gave me as little credit as Iggy gets.

Wilson
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM
A Stephen Curry / Andre Iguodala fast break would be sweet. Even better if David Lee can get back to the form he was in before signing with Golden State.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
ilike this for both teams

AnalyzeNShoot
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Marc Jackson just said one PTI he is going to make Dubs a Defensive team. Iggy would be Great for that. But why would Philly do it. Has to be some sort of Pack. Sixers can use some crazy offense and Dubs can use Defense. Should be interesting

Korman12
06-07-2011, 06:00 PM

Good research, really well grounded with a strong foundation. Seriously.

Your argument is the epitome of terrible, no matter how many games you've been to. He was the number 1 perimeter defender in the NBA last season, and has been elite in that regard "since day 1."

I'm glad you regard scoring as the only important facet of the game.

Illa215
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
If this means anything to this report, Ed Snider is about to sell the Sixers franchise to a young business man Josh Harris.

I'm guessing this can't be good for the trade, unless Harris approves.

Korman12
06-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Monta Ellis is Lou Williams (http://www.libertyballers.com/2011/6/6/2210734/monta-ellis-is-lou-williams-philadelphia-sixers-trade-andre-iguodala-sixers-trade-warriors)

Come on.

dodie53
06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
turner will start at the SF for the 76ers?

ugh.

DR_1
06-07-2011, 07:54 PM
this would be good for both teams. Warriors get a defender/ borderline allstar to pair up with curry, Ellis goes to a team where he can score and win. Not to mention philly can develop evan turner into a solid 2-3 wing player

My thoughts exactly.

Sixerlover
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Monta Ellis is Lou Williams (http://www.libertyballers.com/2011/6/6/2210734/monta-ellis-is-lou-williams-philadelphia-sixers-trade-andre-iguodala-sixers-trade-warriors)

Come on.

For everyone that says Monta is such a better shooter than Iguodala. Monta shoots the same exact percentage, just takes 10 more shots a game.

Just. Say. No

tredigs
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
For everyone that says Monta is such a better shooter than Iguodala. Monta shoots the same exact percentage, just takes 10 more shots a game.

Just. Say. No

Well, no... it's not. Monta shoots and scores more/better in literally every facet you can, but I'd still much rather have Iggy for our tam given his defense and the way our team is structured.

SA5195
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I like it for GS. It's alright for PHI imo

HouRealCoach
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I like it for GS. It's alright for PHI imo

Lol... That sig is hella funny

and it looks to me like GS is trying to go defense

THE MTL
06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a fair trade.

Korman12
06-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Well, no... it's not. Monta shoots and scores more/better in literally every facet you can, but I'd still much rather have Iggy for our tam given his defense and the way our team is structured.

I don't understand how you turned what he said around?

Monta's shooting percentages are higher, but not by leaps and bounds like you assert.

Per 36 Minutes (2010-11):

FG% Monta = .451
FG% Iguodala = .445

3PT% Monta = .361
3PT% Iguodala = .337

FT% Monta = .789
FT% Iguodala = .693

The FT% discrepancy only exists last season, Iguodala's worst FT% in his career (.745 overall compared to Monta's .770 overall). So yes, the numbers are higher, but only by slight margins.

However, this comes with the same price all of Monta's detractors recognize - his inefficiency. In the same Per 36, Monta shoots the ball over 18 times (7 more than Andre), including nearly twice as many 3pt shots. However, he gets to the line at nearly the same rate (4.8 to 4.4).

But that's still 2010-11, Iguodala's worst offensive season since he was a rookie. In his seven seasons, he's averaged a .555 TS%, something Monta has only surpassed once. All of this is also considering Monta had statistically the second best offensive season of his career.

eugene
06-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Interesting how the next year's western conference playoff picture will look like...

MagicBucsSox
06-08-2011, 08:36 AM
League sources said the Warriors also have discussed Ellis, among a variety of other players, in trade talks with Atlanta, Chicago, Memphis, Orlando and the Lakers.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/07/SP621JQSF0.DTL&feed=rss.warriors