PDA

View Full Version : Mark Jackson is the new coach for the G.S Warriors.

dnewguy
06-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Warriors just announced that ESPN/ABC colleague Mark Jackson has been announced as their new head coach
via Marc stein twitter.

I like him as an analyst

sf-fanatic
06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
ehhh

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Glad he got a job. He's been considered for a lot of jobs in the past. He's very respected, even though I don't think he ever drops some amazing analysis and insight when announcing.

Should be fun to see how he does...and I think he'll do OK.

JerseysFinest
06-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Congratulations to him, but I wish he worked as an assistant first. Oh well I guess.

marvILLous
06-06-2011, 09:05 PM
haha ohh man JVG is gonna be lonely on abc next year..

come to toronto JVG!!

tredigs
06-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I was talking about this with my buddies yesterday. It's a chance pick given his lack of coaching experience, but I love it.

Who I was hoping for. I'm definitely excited by the way the Warriors have began to reshape themselves from the top down over the past year.

Gators123
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Congratulations to him, but I wish he worked as an assistant first. Oh well I guess.

This.

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Here's the NBA.com link.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/warriors_name_mark_jackson_head_coach_060611.html

June 6, 2011
Warriors Name Mark Jackson Head Coach
17-Year NBA Veteran Becomes 24th Head Coach In Franchise History

The Golden State Warriors have named Mark Jackson, a 17-year NBA veteran as a player and current ABC broadcaster, as the team’s new head coach, it was announced today. Jackson becomes the 24th head coach in franchise history and the 19th since the team moved to the West Coast in 1962. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

Jackson, 46, played for seven organizations – New York (twice), the L.A. Clippers, Indiana (twice), Denver, Toronto, Utah and Houston – during his highly-successful 17-year NBA career and helped guide his teams to the playoffs in 14 of those 17 seasons. A native of Brooklyn, New York, he ranks third on the NBA’s all-time assists list (10,334) – trailing only John Stockton and Jason Kidd – and was named a member of the Eastern Conference All-Star team in 1989. Jackson was originally selected by the New York Knicks in the first round of the 1987 NBA Draft (18th overall) and promptly captured NBA Rookie of the Year honors at the conclusion of the 1987-88 campaign. He established a still-standing NBA record for assists by a rookies in a single season (868) and played for five Hall of Fame coaches during his collegiate and professional careers (Lou Carnesecca, Lenny Wilkens, Jerry Sloan, Pat Riley and Larry Brown).

“After an extensive search and a great deal of consideration, we have come to the conclusion that Mark Jackson is the best coach for this team,” said Warriors’ General Manager Larry Riley. “He will bring a youthful and fresh approach to our team and the fact that he enjoyed a stellar playing career, where he served most of that time as the leader of some very successful teams, will prove invaluable in the long run. We were looking for a coach with leadership ability and a strong personality and believe Mark possesses those qualities. He’s very well respected in NBA circles, is a consummate professional and his knowledge and background will be an incredible asset for our team and organization.”

“We are tremendously excited about the addition of Mark Jackson as our new head coach,” said Warriors’ Owner Joe Lacob. “He epitomized leadership as a player in this league for 17 seasons and we think that characteristic – and many other positive traits – will translate very well into his coaching duties with our young team. He was a leader and a winner both on and off the floor in this league and we’re convinced that he is the right person to guide this team into the future and help us achieve the success that we are striving for as an organization.”

“I am really elated about this opportunity and I’m looking forward to the challenge of building the Warriors into a perennial contender,” said Jackson. “I cannot tell you how impressed I was with the organization during our meetings, beginning at the top with Joe Lacob and, of course, with Larry Riley, Bob Myers and Jerry West. I have sensed that Joe is committed to winning and building a team and a culture the right way. I think we all witnessed that with some of the recent front office additions as well and some of the other positive things that have been done in recent months. This is an incredible opportunity and I am honored and thank God that I have been chosen to be the next coach of the Warriors. The Bay Area has always had some of the best fans in the NBA and I look forward to being a part of that incredible atmosphere at Oracle Arena, along with my wife, my kids and my church family, who are thrilled as well.”

Jackson, who will assume his new duties at the conclusion of the NBA Finals, appeared in 131 playoff games during his career, including 23 with the Indiana Pacers in 2000, when he was a member of the Eastern Conference Champions (played L.A. Lakers in the NBA Finals). Additionally, he led the NBA in assists during the 1996-97 campaign (11.4 apg).

Jackson will be introduced to the Bay Area media later this week.

Sadds The Gr8
06-06-2011, 09:11 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooo. "momma there goes that man" and "hand down, man down" are no more :(

he was a sick analyst

pd1dish
06-06-2011, 09:13 PM
im going to miss the chemistry between him and Van Gundy. they were great together

FriedTofuz
06-06-2011, 09:15 PM
I wonder who will argue with jeff van gundy now.

FriedTofuz
06-06-2011, 09:16 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooo. "momma there goes that man" and "hand down, man down" are no more :(

he was a sick analyst

I miss it already. I bet Jeff van gundy envys jackson for getting a head coach position

SportsFanatic10
06-06-2011, 09:17 PM
damn i'll miss him on tv as well but i'm happy for him.

tredigs
06-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I miss it already. I bet Jeff van gundy envys jackson for getting a head coach position

Plenty of coaching positions open for Van Gundy if he wants them.

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM

Jeff could get a job before Mark any day of the week. He just isn't interested these days.

Phenomenonsense
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Guess Joe D has to cross him off his short list.

jimbobjarree
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
bout ****ing time. It was getting a bit sad how he was trying so hard to audition for head coaching roles whilst analysing games.

GoatMilk
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
bout ****ing time. It was getting a bit sad how he was trying so hard to audition for head coaching roles whilst analysing games.

dude, yes
annoying

E.O.21
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
So is he gonna finish the rest of the finals, or was sunday his last game?

Giraffes Rule
06-06-2011, 09:24 PM
**** yeah! Now we don't have to listen to his awful "analysis" anymore. Or at least for a year or two before he gets fired.

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:25 PM

I'm sure he'll finish. Not a ton of work to be done as a head coach right now.

hgtiger32
thank goodness. now i don't have to listen to him on ABC/ESPN for a few years

tredigs
Already talks coming out that the Warriors are intending to including "a strong group of experienced assistant coaches and are willing to spend the money to do so".

^The difference ownership changes make.

KnicksR4Real
06-06-2011, 09:26 PM
congrads, now that jfg is loney hell comeback to nyc

KnicksR4Real
06-06-2011, 09:28 PM

i assume hes gonna keep going

FriedTofuz
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Jeff could get a job before Mark any day of the week. He just isn't interested these days.

when has he been recently offered jobs that he had refused? I personally would like to see him coach again.

heyman321
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
oh no! no more HAND DOWN, MAN DOWN....... not

But acutally, thank god, he's one of the worst analysts. Barkley can do a better job, and at least he's funny.

kikeyanez
06-06-2011, 09:32 PM
damn... i cant believe the warriors named mark jackson as are next head coach.. they rolled the dice big time!

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
when has he been recently offered jobs that he had refused? I personally would like to see him coach again.

He's made it clear the past few years he doesn't want to coach.

Per Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Van-Gundy-not-coaching-next-season?urn=nba-353544)....

There are a few openings for anybody interested in coaching in the NBA next season, but the word from Jeff Van Gundy is that he's not planning to return to the role he previously filled for the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets.

The NBA analyst for ESPN and ABC tells FOX Houston that he's "very happy" with the life he has right now.

The site notes that rumors of Van Gundy's interest in getting back to the NBA sidelines started Monday after he went on a Miami radio station and discussed the open Lakers position: "Certainly any coach would be interested in the Lakers," Van Gundy said. "Certainly any coach would be interested in their base of talent, but you are following the hardest act in pro basketball. But most coaches would still embrace the challenge, if it's the right timing for them."

Looks like it's not quite the right timing for Van Gundy.

When he wants to come back, he'll get a job.

Rivera
06-06-2011, 09:38 PM
man i like mark jackson and JVG together i hope he gets to finish the finals

i hope he does a great job for golden state...could be a great mentor for both monta and steph

maybe just maybe mark jackson can teach monta how to pass

FriedTofuz
06-06-2011, 09:40 PM
He's made it clear the past few years he doesn't want to coach.

Per Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Van-Gundy-not-coaching-next-season?urn=nba-353544)....

When he wants to come back, he'll get a job.

Oh, yeah for sure. Thanks for posting that, I didnt know about his intentions until now. :cheers:

dnewguy
06-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Mama there goes that Man

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Mike Malone might assist for him according to David Aldridge. If Jackson can steal Malone from LA that would be huge. Can't see him not teaming up with Mike Brown, however.

championships
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Wow. That's a surprise.

I think he will do well.

Purple&Gold24
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
I liked him as an analyst.

Max Power
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Not sure what it means for the Warriors, but pretty good news for basketball fans everywhere else.

I will miss hearing him say "Tweva Aweeza"

ManRam
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Henry Abbot sat down with him to talk coaching X and O's not to long ago. Check it out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/29914/truehoop-tv-mark-jackson-on-crunch-time

I wish Henry would have told (owned) Mark why he's wrong about Kobe though :laugh:

Hawkeye15
06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Not sure why he would get a head coaching gig with no experience on the bench whatsoever. But I do think he will be a huge benefit to Curry especially.

I am still so-so on the hire though.

Whomewhome
06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Very happy for Mark Jackson he deserved a chance

GodsSon
06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Weird hiring IMO

showtym24
06-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Great for him. Hope he does good. Except for when he plays us.

MSG34
06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
He desperately needs a highly experienced assistant coach.

mjt20mik
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I wonder who will argue with jeff van gundy now.

JVG to become headcoach of the Raptors? I like it. :D

FriedTofuz
06-06-2011, 10:36 PM
JVG to become headcoach of the Raptors? I like it. :D

Sounds good for them. MamRam showed me an article, it said JVG doesnt want to coach at the moment, so It wont happen.

12evolution 9
06-06-2011, 10:38 PM
dam ... im happy and kind of mad too...

gonna miss the Jeff Van Gundy and Marc Jackson duo ......

but ... happy for Marc Jackson and even Dorrell Wright...ex heat player... gonna get some good coaching...

WolvesJagsOs
06-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Good for Mark, I like the guy.

John Walls Era
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
For some reason I could actually envision him coaching the GSW. Perfect fit imo. Hopefully Curry will be able to blossom under him.

SC1211
06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Thank god he's no longer an analyst. JVG is a brilliant basketball mind. Jackson is a very stupid one.

D Roses Bulls
06-06-2011, 11:20 PM
horrible hire. I feel bad for GSW fans.

LA_Raiders
06-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Great, he is so annoying as an analyst

JPHX
06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
agreed. i dont think he is a very smart analyst.

NBA_Starter
06-06-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm glad for him but I'm going to miss him!:(

Sadds The Gr8
06-06-2011, 11:39 PM
I liked him as an analyst.

the finger licking sig was way sexier

AllBall
06-07-2011, 12:08 AM
In loving memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtZ7eXwT7o

the comedy shall be missed

MrfadeawayJB
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
mama there goes that man... congrats marc jackson. I dont know if you will ever be as good of a coach as you were a player/commentator

tredigs
06-07-2011, 01:36 AM
Mike Malone might assist for him according to David Aldridge. If Jackson can steal Malone from LA that would be huge. Can't see him not teaming up with Mike Brown, however.

We just got him. Bam!

Loving this movement.

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

"@WojYahooNBA
Adrian Wojnarowski
Mike Malone was courted heavily to join Mike Brown's staff with the Lakers, but the Warriors wanted Malone badly and wouldn't be denied."

Lloyd Christmas
06-07-2011, 02:05 AM
The Warriors hired the wrong ABC/ESPN color commentator.

Lim
06-07-2011, 02:36 AM
I disagree with pretty much each bit of analysis / strategy that Mark Jackson spouts on ESPN, can't imagine he'll know how to coach.

iggypop123
06-07-2011, 03:21 AM
they are using the del negro strategy. used bickerstaff to help him. malone is a good steal for them. he's basically gonna be his thibedau and that leaves jackson as a motivator not a coach.

mgsports
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes he will like Kevin McCale is for NBATV.

Bill Lambieer former Piston or Tom Izzo because would be close to home or I. Thomas for Pistons Job and Mike Dunvealy for Pacers.

Gators123
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes he will like Kevin McCale is for NBATV.

Bill Lambieer or Tom Izzo or I. Thomas for Pistons Job and Mike Dunvealy for Pacers.

Doubt it. Mike Woodson is the most realistic candidate for the Pistons.

ULT WARRIOR408
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
My Warriors are moving on up like George & Weezie.We've also got Mike Malone as a top assistant.J-West is in our frontoffice as well.We aren't gonna be bottom feeders for long.

twoearl
06-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Yeah. I am not really feeling the whole "he sounds smart as a basketball announcer" so he gets a head coaching job. Kinda takes away from guys who work their way up like scott brooks or Rick Carlise.