PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard Short Interview

hgtiger32
06-06-2011, 05:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6630255&categoryid=2378529

Howard discusses Twitter, City of Orlando, Shaq, Miami Heat and whether he wants to team up with other super stars

ManRam
06-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I saw the scavenger hunt tweets he made. He does a ton of cool stuff. Recently he's been hosting BBQs open to the public.

He's saying the same stuff as he has been for a while.

I hate this "we gotta have this city behind us" crap. What does that mean? The city is behind him and the team. They love him and don't want him to leave. The attendance has been amazing the last 5-6 years. Since 2006, the Magic have been in the top 10 in home attendance, being in the top 5 half those years. They just got a new arena, and by all accounts it's probably the best in the league. He acts like the city hates him or something, or wants him to leave. I just don't get that.

He mentions that the team needs to be on the same page with "no hidden agendas" I'm really curious as to who he's talking about. He says guys just sometimes care more about stats and making AS games, again, wonder who he's talking about.

Says he doesn't want to team up to beat the Heat, we'll see about that...

Southsideheat
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
"You need that 1-2 punch."

macc
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I saw the scavenger hunt tweets he made. He does a ton of cool stuff. Recently he's been hosting BBQs open to the public.

I hate this "we gotta have this city behind us" crap. What does that mean? The city is behind him and the team. They love him and don't want him to leave. The attendance has been amazing the last 5-6 years. Since 2006, the Magic have been in the top 10 in home attendance, being in the top 5 half those years. They just got a new arena, and by all accounts it's probably the best in the league. He acts like the city hates him or something, or wants him to leave. I just don't get that.

He mentions that the team needs to be on the same page with "no hidden agendas" I'm really curious as to who he's talking about. He says guys just sometimes care more about stats and making AS games, again, wonder who he's talking about.

Ya he's def putting out mix singnals. I'm not sure what he expects from the fans and people in Orlando. They've been there. Maybe he's talking about the negative press around the playoffs in not thinking Orlando would make the finals this year (which they didn't and got bounced in the first round).

He talks about how dominate the Heat are with their 3 top players and then says he wants to beat them instead of become them. He's really not making all that much sense at this point.

I'm curious to who he's talking about as well when it comes to "hidden agendas" because I watched all but maybe two magic games last year and I didn't spot a player that seemed to much into themselves. I thought our team was actually the opposite of that. Who knows. Sounds like he's just making excuses at this point.

Southsideheat
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Let's see Otis the magician do his tricks.

ManRam
06-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Yeah, macc, I didn't see any hidden agendas either. I don't think anyone was really just trying to pad their stats at all.

Again, I am really pessimistic, and think all of this is just an effort to look like the good guy when/if he leaves.

The "city behind me" stuff really does bother me.

iggypop123
06-06-2011, 05:50 PM

the way i read howards comments recently is he wants to honestly do all those things and be different in orlando. the problem is how he feels is different from what he does. he wont say it publicly but his mindset is otis smith will make the decision for him. either by putting a **** team around him or having a great team. if its the first one he will just say well i tried, but i have no choice

Sadds The Gr8
06-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Ya he's def putting out mix singnals. I'm not sure what he expects from the fans and people in Orlando. They've been there. Maybe he's talking about the negative press around the playoffs in not thinking Orlando would make the finals this year (which they didn't and got bounced in the first round).

He talks about how dominate the Heat are with their 3 top players and then says he wants to beat them instead of become them. He's really not making all that much sense at this point.

I'm curious to who he's talking about as well when it comes to "hidden agendas" because I watched all but maybe two magic games last year and I didn't spot a player that seemed to much into themselves. I thought our team was actually the opposite of that. Who knows. Sounds like he's just making excuses at this point.
Probably those 2 useless losers with the huge contracts - Arenas and Turkoglu

ManRam
06-06-2011, 05:59 PM
the way i read howards comments recently is he wants to honestly do all those things and be different in orlando. the problem is how he feels is different from what he does. he wont say it publicly but his mindset is otis smith will make the decision for him. either by putting a **** team around him or having a great team. if its the first one he will just say well i tried, but i have no choice

Otis Smith isn't an NBA 2K11 GM. He's made moves, and they haven't worked. We've been to the Finals and ECF. He's had good teams. We're just now at that point where the money we spent to get there is hurting us.

Otis is trying. If Dwight wants to stay, he's gotta realize there isn't a high chance of an overnight fix. We have some bad contracts that need to go before we can compete. With Dwight there, with the new arena, and with an owner willing to spend and spend, it will be an attractive FA market...but that's only gonna matter when we can sign FAs for more than the MLE. It's not like Otis, RDV and company haven't been trying...they have. We got very close, and Dwight has to be cognizant of that.

Otis Smith isn't going to make the decision for him. Otis wants him to stay. He'll do everything he can do to have Dwight stay. If Dwight goes, Otis might be axed too.

It's ultimately Dwight's decision. He's trying to make it seem like it's not. You're buying into it, but I don't think we should.

ManRam
06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Probably those 2 useless losers with the huge contracts - Arenas and Turkoglu

He said they had hidden agendas to make the all-star game and pad their stats.

Arenas wasn't on the court at all, so he doesn't fit that bill. If Hedo wanted to be an all-star again that would be great...but he'd need to shoot more, pass more and play better first. He just looked like he didn't care at all, not like a selfish player.

There wasn't selfishness on this team, and I think he was hinting at that. It was just some really streaky shooters that couldn't hit a shot in round 1.

macc
06-06-2011, 06:13 PM
He said they had hidden agendas to make the all-star game and pad their stats.

Arenas wasn't on the court at all, so he doesn't fit that bill. If Hedo wanted to be an all-star again that would be great...but he'd need to shoot more, pass more and play better first. He just looked like he didn't care at all, not like a selfish player.

There wasn't selfishness on this team, and I think he was hinting at that. It was just some really streaky shooters that couldn't hit a shot in round 1.

I agree, thats what it sounds like he's trying to say but I can't think of who he would be talking about. As you said Arenas didn't play much and when he did it's not like he was over playing, I would say he was underplaying and trying to "appease" SVG more then anything.

Turk was told to shoot more by SVG. So I don't think Turk was trying to do more then what he's capable of, if anything he was doing less.

At this point it is like Dwight is almost doing some damage control for when/if he does leave.

Bottom line, if we find him help he's going to stay, if next season starts and our team is struggling then it's prob going to mean goodbye to Dwight. Though the new CBA can change everyones plans and it will prob work in our favor because Orlando will be the one team that can offer him the most money, so we'll see what happens.

LakersMaster24
06-06-2011, 07:12 PM
The more he says how much he wants to stay with the Magic, the more it makes me think that he will leave Orlando.

ttam68
06-06-2011, 07:34 PM
I think he legitimately wants to stay, but that roster would be tough for any superstar to commit to. Its bad and will only get worse the next few years. I agree with you guys, it seems like damage control.

Sadds The Gr8
06-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I think he wants to leave but doesn't want to be perceived as an *** hole like Lebron. Howard is the kind of guy that wants to be loved by everybody...he's Mr. Nice Guy. I think he's obviously leaving because there's no way they can get rid of Turkoglu and Arenas' contracts in order to bring help.