PDA

View Full Version : Yahoosports: Who are the best to never grab a championship ring?

JordansBulls
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Who-are-the-best-to-never-grab-a-championship-ri;_ylt=AlXqFKRBtxt9t1jQeAMoZrm8vLYF?urn=nba-wp4397

5. LeBron James

The idea of including a 26-year old that has only been in the NBA since 2003 might chafe, but James' accomplishments are too significant to ignore. Career averages of nearly 28 points, seven rebounds, seven assists at this pre-prime stage of his career astonish enough, and the fact that he hasn't missed more than seven games in a season since entering the NBA gives the man credibility. It doesn't say much for the work of his previous bosses in Cleveland, but James is attempting to right things as his Heat are just three wins away from his first ring.

4. Dirk Nowitzki
Our man played his first NBA game all the way back in January of 1999, and save for a championship, all of his wildest dreams have come true. Without much precedent, save for a Bird there, a McAdoo here, and a Detlef Schrempf over there, he made the power forward position his own in a way that hadn't been seen before. At one time he rivaled Charles Barkley in the way he'd grab a defensive rebound and drive to score on the other end, while still approximating Larry Bird's touch from long range. As he grew, he refined those wily instincts, stayed a scorer, and turned the ball over once a fortnight. And though his Mavericks have yet to win a title, his impact will far overshadow any banner he'll ever help raise.

3. Patrick Ewing
Ewing takes a spot in this list not because of his hard-luck time with the New York Knicks (and, though you'd like to forget, the Seattle SuperSonics and Orlando Magic), but because NBA fans tend to forget his defensive impact on games. At this point in his post-playing career, Ewing remains the trigger-happy turnaround jump shooter with small hands, always ready to make a championship guarantee in October that he couldn't follow through on in May. But Patrick patrolled the paint for those intimidating Knick teams, and nearly won it all while watching John Starks shoot 2-18 in a Finals Game 7 back in 1994. The man left it all out there, to no championship end.

2. Charles Barkley
Barkley's tale isn't as hard-luck as Ewing's, because this guy had great teammates, but it's nearly as tragic. Barkley's prime was wasted on a poor Philadelphia 76er team. His lone trip to the Finals in 1993 with Phoenix was scuttled by nervous teammates that seemed in awe of the stage. His back locked up on him during playoff runs in 1994 and 1995, with Michael Jordan either away playing baseball, or out of basketball shape and out of the second round in 1995. His other closer attempt, as a member of the Houston Rockets in 1997, was literally shot down by a John Stockton three-pointer that sent Stockton's Jazz to the Finals. Further back woes hampered his attempts in 1999 with Scottie Pippen joining Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon in Houston.
How is it that this guy keeps a smile on TV?

1. Karl Malone, and John Stockton
An easy cop-out? Sure. Still one that allows us the chance to keep deserving names in the top five, while lauding these men as equals.
Advanced statistics won't rank these two as equals, Malone's ability to rebound and score at a high efficiency rate without turning the ball over place him far ahead of Stockton in this realm. But why was it, exactly, that Malone was able to toss in those runners and jumpers (and especially free throw attempts, in a play that Stockton received no box score credit for) with such hot space to work with? It was Stockton that believed that every centimeter was crucial, as he delivered the ball with those massive hands. And it was Malone that made it easier for Stockton to see the light that wasn't obvious to their defenders, as Stockton passed the ball to a spot that Malone would not yet occupy.
These two, for years, were the best in the league at their particular position. And yet they never won an NBA title. It's a cruel thing, this team game.

theheatles
06-05-2011, 10:27 AM
if LeBron died tomorrow his historical greatness is greater than all those guys

dhopisthename
06-05-2011, 10:48 AM

lol I don't think so. charles and malone have both won mvps, malone is 2nd on the all time scoring list, and stockton is the leader in steals and assists by a huge margin.

YoungOne
06-05-2011, 11:04 AM

yeah... but only because he died...

Dash
06-05-2011, 11:09 AM
LeBron

/thread

but i still hate him

Dash
06-05-2011, 11:09 AM

good point

Beltrans Mole
06-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't have put Dirk ahead of Lebron, but obviously both deserve to be on this list. I think Barkley should slip back behind them.

daleja424
06-05-2011, 11:27 AM
I have to agree with what someone else said... If Lebron stopped playing all of the sudden tomorrow an never won a title he is already considered better than most, if not all, of those guys.

The list seems to be in order of experience though, not talent. The retired guys, then the old guy, then the younger guy.

Johann
06-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Chris Bosh, but he now has a chance...

Hellcrooner
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM

No.

Hellcrooner
06-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Dominique Wilkins someone?

m26555
06-05-2011, 12:27 PM
:laugh2:

Gotta be kidding me...

mdm692
06-05-2011, 12:27 PM
No nash???

kenzo400
06-05-2011, 12:38 PM
:laugh2:

Gotta be kidding me...

He's probably 16, never seen Malone or Stockton play and missed most of Dirks career lol

Raoul Duke
06-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Why does he have to die? What if Lebron blew his knee out tomorrow and became post-injury T-Mac? Is he still better than all those guys, or is he looked at as pre-injury T-Mac?

kozelkid
06-05-2011, 12:56 PM
He's probably 16, never seen Malone or Stockton play and missed most of Dirks career lol

Well he called Big Z a "fringe starter" before Lebron came into the league. :rolleyes:

Hiphopopotamus
06-05-2011, 01:18 PM
No way LBJ is more significant at this point than Malone, Stockton, or Barkley. It seems he will be for sure, but we can take nothing for granted....ask T-Mac.

Hellcrooner made a good point: Nique should be up their. All in all this is actually a rather dubious honor, however.

clehmun
06-05-2011, 01:31 PM
hate to see lebron and dirk on the list because their careers are not over yet.
whats the top 5 (retired) to never win a championship?

PrettyBoyJ
06-05-2011, 01:40 PM
It would prob make more sense to have retired players.. Active players still have a chance especially when the 2 active players on the list wont be after next week..

todu82
06-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, James is a great player but no way is he better right now than what Stockton, Malone, Ewing or Barkley where.

MR.TRIPDUB
06-05-2011, 02:32 PM

Wow just wow...idiotic statement.

Hangtime
06-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Well, what we do know is after this finals is over, Dirk or Lebron will no longer be on this list, however if Lebron doesn't win this year his window is still fairly wide. Dirk's is closing. I really think he needs it now more so than Lebron.

central2003
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Wilkins, and C-Webb were one of the best who never got a ring. I am sure Tim Hardaway deserves a mention too/

cambovenzi
06-05-2011, 03:38 PM
All this "oh you gotta play 15 years to be a great" is a big load of crap.

He is prime now and one of the best ever.

jim51990
06-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Lebron not debatable he's is already one of the greatest players of all time and te greatest talent

TheHighLife
06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Chris Webber

mdm692
06-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Lebron shouldnt even be in the conversation he still has at least 8years of great bball in ehich he will more than likely win a ring. . .

justOmazing
06-05-2011, 04:52 PM

You must be kidding right? Show some respect for the past man. John Stockton and Karl Malone go way beyond the youthful exhuberance of this generation. They hold records Lebron still can only dream of. And PS. Lebron hasn't accomplished anything beyond a season mvp at this point. If it weren't for "His Airness", who Lebron cant hold a candle to btw, they both would have a few championships under their belt.

LA_Raiders
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Agree, but I'll put LeBroom out and put either dominique or Nash. LeBroom still young...

AI
06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
No love for Iverson? :(

Korman12
06-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Kidd too

Crackadalic
06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
its hard to ask this question when guys like Dirk and lebron is already in the league and one of them is about to get there first.

I say Stockton and Malone. Both had there shot twice and got beaten by his airness

Malone actually had a 3rd try but we know how that turn out

Lakerfan8032
06-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Elgin Baylor should be number one on this list. He was an incredible talent and player for several years in the league and even after he suffered a major knee injury (and in the mid 1960's a significant knee injury was almost a sure career killer). He played in how many finals, somewhere between six and eight and every time the ****ing Celtics were there to beat him, save for the time the Knicks won in 1970.

You can argue if he should be number one on the list or not but he surely belongs on there somewhere, unfortunately. It would have been great if one of those 1960's Laker teams could have beaten the Celtics at least once but it wasn't meant to be.

numba1CHANGsta
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
My All-Time Ringless Starting Lineup

PG-John Stockton
SG-Reggie Miller
SF-CharlesBarkley
PF-Karl Malone
C-Patrick Ewing

6th Man-Elgin Baylor

Spiggity_ace
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
reggie miller, and dominique gotta be on tehre, c'mon son

xbrackattackx
06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Elgin Baylor should be number one on this list. He was an incredible talent and player for several years in the league and even after he suffered a major knee injury (and in the mid 1960's a significant knee injury was almost a sure career killer). He played in how many finals, somewhere between six and eight and every time the ****ing Celtics were there to beat him, save for the time the Knicks won in 1970.

You can argue if he should be number one on the list or not but he surely belongs on there somewhere, unfortunately. It would have been great if one of those 1960's Laker teams could have beaten the Celtics at least once but it wasn't meant to be.

I know Baylor had a heart breaking career and he was a beast. Wish he could have gotten one.

The_Pharouh
06-05-2011, 05:42 PM
Elgin Baylor has reached the Finals 8 times,lost them All
he should be in the list

Crackadalic
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM
i completely forgot about Elgin Baylor. That was disrespectful of me. Yea he should have won at least 1 ring

theheatles
06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Racist? That doesn't make sense.Be cause you prefer two Legends(Malone Stockton) over to a modern day cry baby?

Lebron is a great player but he doesn't have the legacy they do, and either you are trollin or you believe this garbage you speak which is worst. If he was that great he wouldn't be on a list for players not good enough to get rings. At least Stockton and Malone had to deal with Jordan and other hall of famers. Lebron is the best in the game today and still couldn't do it without bosh and wade add that to his list too if he retires.

Legacy? If there is 1 thing for certain LeBron has over all of them is his legacy...The pc answer is obviously going to be the old timers and LeBron is only apart of this conversation for another week;)

daleja424
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
some of you are either really blinded by nostalgia or else serious lebron james haters.

If I offered every GM in the nba the choice of these six guys in their prime to start their nba team 30 out of 30 would pick Lebron. Lebron simply impacts every single facet of the basketball game.

Some of you are rguing for Stockton... don't be rediculous!

Since his rookie year, Lebron's LOWEST PER for a year was 24.5 in 2006-2007.

Stockton's career HIGH was 23.9

The only guy on this list that has a legit claim to being a superior player to James was Malone. And even still, Lebron already has 3 seasons (in his first 8) with higher PERs than Malone's career year...

xbrackattackx
06-05-2011, 06:17 PM
some of you are either really blinded by nostalgia or else serious lebron james haters.

If I offered every GM in the nba the choice of these six guys in their prime to start their nba team 30 out of 30 would pick Lebron. Lebron simply impacts every single facet of the basketball game.

The only guy on this list that has a legit claim to being a superior player to

James was Malone. And even still, Lebron already has 3 seasons (in his first 8)
with higher PERs than Malone's career year...

Pretty sure no one has said just stockton, the article clearly says Stockton and Malone. If a gm could have Lebron or Stockton and Malone they would pick Lebron? We all know non of the three could get it done alone. and you think Lebron would have a shot in the nineties against the goat,Barkley,Hakeem,prime shaq,hill,penny,mourning,admiral?

daleja424
06-05-2011, 06:18 PM
:facepalm:

stockton and malone do not count as one player...

they are tied for number one

xbrackattackx
06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Legacy? If there is 1 thing for certain LeBron has over all of them is his legacy...The pc answer is obviously going to be the old timers and LeBron is only apart of this conversation for another week;)

Please explain...what's his legacy he has over them? The Cleveland finals, Getting a ring,Leaving his team,letting people know his choice on a tv special,his mom,him crying? What is this legacy he is leaving if he retired tomorrow?

Malone and stockton never left their team, had to deal with some of the all time greats. Both are on the all time list. How am i being nostalgic he may he more talented but his legacy stinks man.

xbrackattackx
06-05-2011, 06:26 PM
:facepalm:

stockton and malone do not count as one player...

they are tied for number one

So you face palm me for asking you a legit question, and you use to be a mod I respected sigh.

daleja424
06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
So you face palm me for asking you a legit question, and you use to be a mod I respected sigh.
what question? You said point blank that the article wants us to compare Lebron to Stockon/Malone as a duo... which is false...

Pretty sure no one has said just stockton, the article clearly says Stockton and Malone. If a gm could have Lebron or Stockton and Malone they would pick Lebron? We all know non of the three could get it done alone. and you think Lebron would have a shot in the nineties against the goat,Barkley,Hakeem,prime shaq,hill,penny,mourning,admiral?
That is why you got a facepalm... for lack of reading comprehension. To be honest...I didnt even bother reading the rest of your post once I saw that you hadn't even read the OP...

Chi StateOfMind
06-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Reggie Miller anyone. The list should be retired only. LeBron has a chance still while Malone, Stockton, etc are retired.

redsox0717
06-05-2011, 06:44 PM

The only guy on this list that has a legit claim to being a superior player to James was Malone. And even still, Lebron already has 3 seasons (in his first 8) with higher PERs than Malone's career year...

LMAO @ using PER. Isn't that the joke of a stat conceived by John Hollinger of all people. And you're trying to use it to say LeBron is better than Karl Malone? HAHAHAHAHAHAA

KnicksR4Real
06-05-2011, 06:56 PM
nash?

KnicksR4Real
miller?

sciferguy
That's a nice little list of current to somewhat current players but nash deserves to be up there before lebron as does dominique due to these guys have already played their impressive careers withoout a ring and lebron still has his career to play...I wish maravich won a ring the most...but mutumbo, webber, artis gilmore, lenny wilkins (as a player), gervin, reggie, and elgin baylor for those who know about the nba before 2000

daleja424
06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
LMAO @ using PER. Isn't that the joke of a stat conceived by John Hollinger of all people. And you're trying to use it to say LeBron is better than Karl Malone? HAHAHAHAHAHAA

what stat that compiles a majority of the important statistical categories would you prefer me to use? Do you have some sort of factual problem with PER or are you just regurgitating a dislike for stats guys? Until you identify a significant problem with PER and provide a reasonable alternative you have absolutely no basis for ripping on it...

ink
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Inevitable when you consider how many franchises not named Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers or Celtics have won in the last 30 years that some of the league's elite will not ever win a championship.

SeoulBeatz
06-05-2011, 07:22 PM

and that goes to show that you've never seen Malone or Stockton play.

BkOriginalOne
06-05-2011, 07:22 PM
No love for Reggie Miller or Allen Iverson.

sciferguy
06-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I would say allen iverson due to stats alone but I think had he realized basketball was a team sport he could have easily won a ring..loved watching him play but I don't feel bad for him not getting a ring...that's why I didn't include kemp cuz he too ruined it for himself

kArSoN RyDaH
06-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Lebron makes it to the finals and everyone makes outrageous statements like this.

Chronz
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, James is a great player but no way is he better right now than what Stockton, Malone, Ewing or Barkley where.

I think you worded this wrong or im not following your train of thought, none of the players you mentioned were ever as good as Bron has been the last few years. If your trying to say he had to play an x amount of games till u respect the elder then that's totally your call.

daleja424
06-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Precisely my point Chronz. If this is about games played... thats up to you... but none of those guys could ever play at the level lebron plays at today.

KnicksR4Real
06-05-2011, 09:42 PM
stockton and malone is pretty fair

raidersrock99
06-05-2011, 10:25 PM
when i saw the thread title i thought of karl malone and john stockton..

also chris webber from a kings stand point

omdigga
06-05-2011, 11:31 PM
patrick and barkley

WriterCyril
06-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Too many Idiots are basing off what they think will be in the top 5 in the future. LeBron is no where near Stockton, Malone, and some of those other retired greats. He doesn't even officially have a championship yet. Should definitely be retired top 5.

And unfortunately Dirk looks doomed to be there if he doesn't win this year, here's to hoping Dirk wins and gets off the list :cheers:!!!!!!

MalZee24
06-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Chris Webber? ehh scratch that. i consider him a champion since he was the star on a kings team that got cheated from a title by the nba. he's a champ in my book

WriterCyril
06-06-2011, 12:03 AM
what stat that compiles a majority of the important statistical categories would you prefer me to use? Do you have some sort of factual problem with PER or are you just regurgitating a dislike for stats guys? Until you identify a significant problem with PER and provide a reasonable alternative you have absolutely no basis for ripping on it...

LMAO at this guy. Stop basing it off of talent at prime of career and what future stats look like. We are trying to say no one is immune to the Tracy McGrady effect, I know LeBron is better then he ever was, but it could always happen to anyone.

And if it did happen he would never come close to Karl Malone's 36,928 points which is good for 2nd all time. He may be on pace to beat it, but so was Jordan BY FAR and he didn't really care to play that much.

So many things could happen until then just chill and let him finish his career, and until then he shouldn't be mentioned with Stockton and Malone.

And I can't be some nostalgic idiot, I'm 19.

so watch yourself ... :box: