PDA

View Full Version : LeBron: No One Can Defend Me One-On-One

NBA_Starter
06-04-2011, 11:07 PM
After praising how Shawn Marion is playing, LeBron James made one thing clear Saturday when asked how Marion is defending him: “I don’t feel like it’s one guy in this league that can stop me one-on-one. He’s the guy that’s guarding me, but there’s no one-on-one guy that can guard me.”

James is shooting 55 percent in the NBA Finals and 59 percent when Marion is on the floor. But he has taken only six free throws and said his mentality will change in Game 3:

“I have to be more aggressive in the paint,” he said. “Six free throws in two games? I do that in my sleep in one game. I’m going to make a concerted effort to be more aggressive to try to get to the rim, create opportunities for myself and teammates.”

Via Barry Jackson/Miami Herald

Fresno
06-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Is this supposed to be controversial?

Nobody can defend LeBron 1 on 1.

There is not 1 player in the NBA who can shut him down. He shuts down himself when he plays a passive role as a distributor rather than looking for his shot.

Detroit's Time
06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
It's true

TylerSL
06-04-2011, 11:12 PM
hes not wrong, I dont know why you made this thread. Everybody knows this..

NBA_Starter
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
hes not wrong, I dont know why you made this thread. Everybody knows this..

Just because it's a slow news day in between games.

Jewelz0376
06-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Lebron isn't the only player that can't be guard one on one...Rose. Westbrook, Durant, Dirk, Wade, etc... Can't be guarded by one player...It takes a team to defend those guys...

This isn't the Nfl lol... No team just puts one guy on the great scorers and leaves him on an island with no help..

Hulk6
06-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Lebron isn't the only player that can't be guard one on one...Rose. Westbrook, Durant, Dirk, Wade, etc... Can't be guarded by one player...It takes a team to defend those guys...

This isn't the Nfl lol... No team just puts one guy on the great scorers and leaves him on an island with no help..

i agree with the rest of those, but i think westbrook can be stopped 1 v 1

Mishmin
06-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Yeah he's right.

Jewelz0376
06-04-2011, 11:20 PM

You think Rose is that much quicker than Westbrook?

MaxPain69
06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
the only person who can stop Lebron is Lebron! he needs to attack the ****ing rim and stop taking ridiculous jumpshots that look like it should be in the game horse

Yanks All Day
Saying it is one thing. We all know he can't be guarded one on one by anyone in the league. Doing it is another. Especially with Haywood questionable for Game 3. Chandler will be a little less eager to throw his body around if there's no one to back him up or if the Mavs have to play smaller. LeBron needs to live in the paint this game.

Kobes a Killer
I hate him, but he's right. He's so right I don't think he needed to say it, which makes me dislike him slightly more

daleja424
06-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I feel like this was posted to be controversial and generate Lebron hate... but its absolutely true...

Knicks21
06-04-2011, 11:23 PM
It is a lot harder to guard Dirk One on One than it would be with LBJ. It is a bold statement, a lot of the guys in the league could do the same.

NBA_Starter
06-04-2011, 11:25 PM
I feel like this was posted to be controversial and generate Lebron hate... but its absolutely true...

If that were the case, I'd have just left LeBron: in the title and erased the rest there are so many haters, I'm Bron's #1 fan.

kenzo400
06-04-2011, 11:25 PM
What superstars can be shut down?

RaidersLakers24
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Didn't Kobe say this as well?? So it really doesn't matter no one can stop Kobe or lebron

sventhedog
06-04-2011, 11:27 PM
it's not only lebron that's unguardable 1on1. there are other superstars in the league. i don't think you become a superstar just because you're good at dribbling.

and if he's really as good as he claims, wouldn't it make him dumber that he still find ways to lose???

"i'm unstoppable so i'll just dribble the ball for 23 seconds then think about my next move." - lebron james game 2, 4th quarter

do i still need to mention about the result?

flea
06-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Did you even watch the ECF? Lebron shut Rose down. Westbrook is stoppable too, he just looks good because Durant always has 2 guys assigned to him, even if they aren't always directly on him. Westbrook and Rose are very similar players.

I'll agree with Dirk and Wade being essentially unguardable 1v1 too. Wade seems to be showing a little age, but when he's on he's unstoppable.

PatsSoxKnicks
06-04-2011, 11:28 PM
While he's 100% right, I don't think he needed to say it. I mean his play speaks for itself.

Wilson
06-04-2011, 11:29 PM
And here I was thinking "someone can defend LeBron one-on-one"...

NJrockPD
06-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I hate Lebron, but I agree with him.

gotoHcarolina52
06-04-2011, 11:31 PM
LeBron, we know. Now shut the hell up and go get some damn free throws.

Mishmin
06-04-2011, 11:31 PM
It is a lot harder to guard Dirk One on One than it would be with LBJ. It is a bold statement, a lot of the guys in the league could do the same.

Dirk's very difficult to guard... but harder than Lebron? I don't think so. I remember Collison doing a pretty good job guarding Dirk not too long ago.

Fresno
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Yep.

Its called playing 10 feet away and watching him take shots every time. Same thing for Rose.

Wade is unstoppable as before he started trusting his jumpshot he was a nightmare when attacking the basket, taking contact, & going to the line every single time.

Dirk can hit every shot with a high release. Cant really guard that no matter who you are.

John Walls Era
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Damn right. Now he better play like that.

Jewelz0376
06-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Did you even watch the ECF? Lebron shut Rose down. Westbrook is stoppable too, he just looks good because Durant always has 2 guys assigned to him, even if they aren't always directly on him. Westbrook and Rose are very similar players.

I'll agree with Dirk and Wade being essentially unguardable 1v1 too.

I knew someone was going to quote my post and say this... Do you understand what help defense is?? Every time Rose had the ball mia would load their help defense towards him (including when Lebron was on him)...No great scorer in this league is truly defended one on one...(Lebron even says this during the presser)

FriedTofuz
06-04-2011, 11:37 PM
He may be right, but shawn marion is really limiting him. Shawn marion is even playing better than lebron.

metsbulls1025
06-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I knew someone was going to quote my post and say this... Do you understand what help defense is?? Every time Rose had the ball mia would load their help defense towards him (including when Lebron was on him)...No great scorer in this league is truly defended one on one...(Lebron even says this during the presser)

Plus Rose played the entire second half every time they finally moved James over on to him. I am not saying he can't guard him, but I would like to see what would happen in the beginning of the game rather than no rest and end of 4th quarter Rose.

ArmLaker
06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
he may be right, but shawn marion is really limiting him. Shawn marion is even playing better than lebron.

this

TheRunKiller
06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
True but Shawn Marion has done a damn good job on so far

kArSoN RyDaH
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I know Artest usually does a great job defending him. Always forcing turnovers and lowering his FG%. Obviously doesn't stop him though, but he slows him down.

flea
06-04-2011, 11:49 PM

Help defense comes when JJ ****ing Reddick penetrates. What does that have to do with anything? Lebron guarded him one on one. What you're trying to say, probably, is that other wings will shade a notorious scorer (like Kobe, Lebron, Durant) or straight up double them. Basically any guard can take a wide open lane - help defense is a basic responsibility of post players. It's not a double team.

CB29
06-04-2011, 11:51 PM
i can guard him

towlsmoke420
06-04-2011, 11:57 PM
No one can guard Dwight Howard one on one. whats the point here?

Jewelz0376
06-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Help defense comes when JJ ****ing Reddick penetrates. What does that have to do with anything? Lebron guarded him one on one. What you're trying to say, probably, is that other wings will shade a notorious scorer (like Kobe, Lebron, Durant) or straight up double them. Basically any guard can take a wide open lane - help defense is a basic responsibility of post players. It's not a double team.

I'm not "trying to say" anything...I said it... Help defense isn't just when your defense breaks down..Help defense and off ball defense is the same thing in most cases... When Rose has the ball the teams will load on up on whichever side he has the ball on to deter his penetration

If Rose has the ball on the wing and Joel Antony is on the strong side block waiting for Rose penetration and Rose takes a jump shot because of it and misses...You consider that Lebron stopping Rose all by himself??.. You think Joel would do that if JJ Reddick has the ball lol..hell no...

DeyAce
06-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Luol Deng can

The Final Boss
06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
'It's not one'?.. But there are 99.9% who use proper grammar, there, 'Bron. You egotistical **** burner who would be flipping burgers had your father not slipped one to your lazy-*** mum...

Kyben36
06-05-2011, 12:19 AM
sure, too bad that there are 4 other guys on the court to also help slow you down.

jp611
06-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm not going to read this thread, but if anyone starts bashing Lebron just stop yourself... I hate Lebron too, but he's 100% correct here, not a man on this planet can stop Lebron 1-on-1, you can only hope to contain him... He should be confident

MrfadeawayJB
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
not a big deal...theres actually quite a few players in the league who cant be defended one on one

Hiphopopotamus
06-05-2011, 12:45 AM
This is stupid. The game is never played one v one. If it were, then yes, no one could guard him. But it is not. So this is silly. There are many players in the league that couldn't be stopped in a one v one game, even lesser stars like...I don't know....Monta Ellis would be a beast one v one...so fast. But take superstars and all are unstoppable one v one....Dirk, Howard, etc. But again, this never happens it's 5 v5. So whateves.

flea
06-05-2011, 01:18 AM
I'm not "trying to say" anything...I said it... Help defense isn't just when your defense breaks down..Help defense and off ball defense is the same thing in most cases... When Rose has the ball the teams will load on up on whichever side he has the ball on to deter his penetration

If Rose has the ball on the wing and Joel Antony is on the strong side block waiting for Rose penetration and Rose takes a jump shot because of it and misses...You consider that Lebron stopping Rose all by himself??.. You think Joel would do that if JJ Reddick has the ball lol..hell no...

This is stupid. The game is never played one v one. If it were, then yes, no one could guard him. But it is not. So this is silly. There are many players in the league that couldn't be stopped in a one v one game, even lesser stars like...I don't know....Monta Ellis would be a beast one v one...so fast. But take superstars and all are unstoppable one v one....Dirk, Howard, etc. But again, this never happens it's 5 v5. So whateves.

Yes this is correct, and it's the literal answer to the thread. If you want to be technical, it's never one on one in any possession. That's pretty much why it's a team game. But when you say "one on one", it means something in the context of a defense. It means a single wing on a single wing, with responsibilities against the outside shot and the penetration. When you say "double team" on a wing it means 2 wing defenders on him with the other on another wing and a post man shading towards the third wing.

It's the same thing in football. A corner will guard a receiver one on one, but he's not really the only person guarding the guy. Usually he'll shade toward the post and the safeties will be responsible over the middle. But we say "one on one" because there are other types of coverage where more than one guy has a single receiver as his primary responsibility.

Hawkeye15
06-05-2011, 01:26 AM
So? He can't be guarded 1-1. There are a handful of players like that.

TheHighLife
06-05-2011, 01:34 AM
It's true, but did he have to act like a douche about it?

YourTeamSucks
06-05-2011, 01:38 AM

I have to agree but its ok seeing we got durant

YourTeamSucks
06-05-2011, 01:39 AM
It's true, but did he have to act like a douche about it?

thats just the lebron way of doing things. he doesn't just sound cocky he has to douche it up just the way it is thats y Durant > LeBron alll day

EaglesJackson10
06-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah and no publicist can hide his ego.

drobe86
06-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Like the other players in todays game this comes as no surprise. James is all about ME ME ME. He doesn't care about the well being of the team. He doesn't want to lead. aSo now gm 3 he'll go out and try to put on a show. And if they lose and he does'nt play as well as he thought then we all will be looking for what injury.

papipapsmanny
06-05-2011, 01:54 AM
let me guess he will get to the line like 20 times in game 3, and everyone will just reference this.....

clehmun
06-05-2011, 02:05 AM
its true for about 15 other stars in the league.

pd1dish
06-05-2011, 02:08 AM
hes not lying when he says no one can guard him one on one. hes unstoppable if there is no help defense

footballer2369
06-05-2011, 02:15 AM
You think Rose is that much quicker than Westbrook?

Not really, but, regarding your last post, did you not watch Bulls-Heat?

Rose shot 6% against the man whose quote started this thread.

ragee
06-05-2011, 02:44 AM
I hate the guy but it is true... He is unstoppable one on one...

TheRunKiller
06-05-2011, 02:44 AM
Not really, but, regarding your last post, did you not watch Bulls-Heat?

Rose shot 6% against the man whose quote started this thread.

It wasn't just Lebron the help defense had a lot to do with it...but that won't happen again.

TheRunKiller
06-05-2011, 02:47 AM
thats just the lebron way of doing things. he doesn't just sound cocky he has to douche it up just the way it is thats y Durant > LeBron alll day

i don't know about that one and i hate lebron

LA_Raiders
06-05-2011, 02:48 AM
lol, i bet kobe can stop him...

Stuckey#3
06-05-2011, 02:54 AM
I hate Lebron; I hate his crab dribbles and all the bs calls that he gets.

But as an athlete he can take it to the rack better than anyone. I think Deng and others can slow him down... but one on one nobody cand defend him.

What's sad is that most people would like this guy if he was half as humble as he is athletic.

Arch Stanton
06-05-2011, 03:15 AM
I'm a Cavs fan and hate LeBron. But he's pretty much right on. The only thing that really stops LeBron is LeBron. He's without a doubt the best player in the game but I question his mental focus at times.

KingPosey
06-05-2011, 03:29 AM
pretty much the top 5-8 guys in the sport are not very guardable without help defense. They are that good, and the rules in todays NBA ahelp the offensive player. Its really not just LBJ thats unguardable one on one, but he isnt lying.

sunsfan88
06-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Lol whats the point of this thread?

Can I make a thread in which LeBron says "I'm one of the best in the NBA."

Please stop making threads that just state the ********king obvious!

jiggin
06-05-2011, 07:25 AM
ITS UNBELIEVIABLE TO ME that no one in LBJ's entourage or in the HEAT organization has the BALLS to confront LBJ and tell him to shut the **** up.

What a moron...every time this guy opens his mouth he makes a fool of himself and proves why the haters have reason to hate.

So much talent, so little brains, such a waste. This guy could be bigger than Jordan but he will go down as a incredible player but an extreme fool.

Tom Stone
06-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Derrick williams wants his shot at lebron....and Bismack .....There is some young kids comeing to the league that got some strength....Watch out Lebron....don't get Bismack mad

Big Zo
06-05-2011, 08:26 AM
LeBron: "The sky is blue."

ldawg
06-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Lebron just declare he will be offensive fouling tonight. Lets see if these refs will call the game correct. If you jump into a defenders chest its called an offensive foul.

BowDown
06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
If you could be cast from a mold to be an elite NBA player with the goal of being unable to be defended one on one what would you rather be... a tall player, 6'9" and over with size or a smaller guy 6'3" and under with speed?

NBA-GMaster
06-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Yah, yah, yah!! and no one can win a game all by himself!! LeBron need to be a leader, not a ballhogger..

sventhedog
06-05-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm a Cavs fan and hate LeBron. But he's pretty much right on. The only thing that really stops LeBron is LeBron. He's without a doubt the best player in the game but I question his mental focus at times.

the only thing that stops dwight howard is dwight howard. the only thing that stops kobe is kobe. the only thing that stops you is you. do i tell you the only thing that can stop me?

Caps1989
06-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Its not one-on-one though. Its LeBron+Ref vs Whoever.

ldawg
06-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Lebron just declare he will be offensive fouling tonight. Lets see if its going to be 5 on 7 tonight.

Hustlenomics
06-05-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm pretty sure LeBron stopped Rose one on one

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Except for Tayshuan Prince, Paul Pierce, Lual Deng and Shawn Marion.

But other than that...

Crackadalic
06-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Its true though. No great player can be stop one on one

Raph12
06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Lebron runs the pnr to free himself up more than any star player not playing PG, he does less isos than almost any Top 10 scorer in the league... I do believe there are guys that could guard him 1v1 and hurt his efficiency, but nobody can stop him, no doubt.

justinnum1
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
truth

DwayneMVPwade
06-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Hes not lying

ldawg
06-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Lebron just declare he will be offensive fouling tonight. Lets see if its going to be 5 on 7 tonight.

Ebbs
06-05-2011, 03:21 PM
He shouldn't say **** like that. Anybody who watches the NBA knows this lol.

This the stuff that makes my old man hate him. All the people who watched Jordan and all those guys like my dad give Lebron no respect because he opens his mouth and says this kind of crap.

MiamiWadeCounty
06-05-2011, 03:39 PM

This the stuff that makes my old man hate him. All the people who watched Jordan and all those guys like my dad give Lebron no respect because he opens his mouth and says this kind of crap.

Jordan had one of the hugest egos ever and was one of the most arrogant players. He is the GOAT, but if you don't like Lebron saying this type of stuff, then how can you like it when Jordan says it? Seems like a double-standard.

BALLER71
06-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Jordan had one of the hugest egos ever and was one of the most arrogant players. He is the GOAT, but if you don't like Lebron saying this type of stuff, then how can you like it when Jordan says it? Seems like a double-standard.

:nod:

Which is why a lot of people criticized his hall of game induction speech.

meloman1592
06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Pointless thread, theres a bunch of guys who cant be stopped one on one.
Lbj
dirk
melo
kobe
rose
etc the list goes on

Matrix3132
06-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Although he's shot very few free throws this series, I agree no one can guard Lebron (and the calls superstars have gotten in the nba the last 10-15 years) one on one. However, if it were a level playing field, I think he can be guarded, let him post up and show his poor footwork or just give him space and he'll demonstrate his poor shot selection and limited mid range game. Oftentimes, he's practically defending himself by jacking up threes.

Don't get me wrong, he's the best in the league but no one can deny that he may have the most holes in his game of any player considered to be one of the "greatest of a generation"

jockrider
06-05-2011, 04:15 PM

kobe has said this before ,mj said it,wilt chamberlin said he'd drop 70ppg in todays game. i think its sad that every little thing he says is blown out of proportion like this media makes a concentrated effort to do this.
he is the most interesting man in sports right now guess it just comes with the territory..

mttwlsn16
06-05-2011, 04:49 PM
someone needs to knock him out. bynum where u @ ?

Law25
06-05-2011, 05:06 PM

Artest says hi

Purple&Gold24
06-05-2011, 05:07 PM
He's right :sigh:

Law25
06-05-2011, 05:09 PM

LOL. Why did i laugh so hard i was crying over this. Maybe because its as true as LeBrons unguardable statment.:D

cmellofan15
06-05-2011, 05:15 PM
it's usually like that when you're the best player in the league.