PDA

View Full Version : How Can The NBA Help Teams Stuck In "No Mans Land"?

Fresno
06-04-2011, 03:34 AM
The term "No Mans Land" refers to teams who do not have a promising youth movement & aren't capable of contending for a conference crown.

This includes:

Toronto
Milwaukee
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Orlando
Phoenix
Denver
Houston
Portland
Utah
New Orleans

These teams due to a poor owner, few bad contracts clogging cap space, or a lack of a superstar player are basically stuck between being a Lottery team and being a 1st round exit.

The worst part regarding this situation is that these teams unless they get lucky in the lottery, usually end up in this same situation for as long as 5 years. Not being so horrible that they get Top 5 Picks, and not being good enough to make any Playoff run.

A rule I'd create is to allow each team who doesnt finish among the top 6 seeds the ability to waive 1 player each year for only 25% of their contract owed. This allows struggling teams the ability to waive a player who is hurting them more than helping them. This also adds incentive to overpaid players on losing teams to play harder in order to get them among the top 6 seeds in the Playoffs.

Please dont flame for me saying your team has no promising future.

Covert
06-04-2011, 04:47 AM
I would say Atlanta best exemplifies a team in "no man's land." Not good enough to compete, not bad enough to get top picks.

tredigs
06-04-2011, 04:56 AM
The term "No Mans Land" refers to teams who do not have a promising youth movement & aren't capable of contending for a conference crown.

This includes:

Toronto
Milwaukee
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Orlando
Phoenix
Denver
Houston
Portland
Utah
New Orleans

These teams due to a poor owner, few bad contracts clogging cap space, or a lack of a superstar player are basically stuck between being a Lottery team and being a 1st round exit.

The worst part regarding this situation is that these teams unless they get lucky in the lottery, usually end up in this same situation for as long as 5 years. Not being so horrible that they get Top 5 Picks, and not being good enough to make any Playoff run.

A rule I'd create is to allow each team who doesnt finish among the top 6 seeds the ability to waive 1 player each year for only 25% of their contract owed. This allows struggling teams the ability to waive a player who is hurting them more than helping them. This also adds incentive to overpaid players on losing teams to play harder in order to get them among the top 6 seeds in the Playoffs.

Savvy ownership/GM'n via smart trades and optimal utilization of the cap space, etc. along with solid draft picks (or lucky ones) is enough to turn around a franchise given the current state of the NBA Lottery (so long as you aren't a conspiracy theorist).

OKC is a team that exemplifies the blueprint, but not every team is meant for success. Personally, I'm not a fan of communism. Though I'm all for a salary cap and the lottery, I'm not sure seeking complete parity is a positive.

barreleffact
06-04-2011, 05:49 AM

This includes:

Toronto
Milwaukee
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Orlando
Phoenix
Denver
Houston
Portland
Utah
New Orleans

thats illegal. to allow it to come off the luxury tax and salary cap books is different but to allow them to void a contract is infringement. thus, illegal.

The best way to help them is to force them to help themselves. The NBA shouldnt take part in helping any team. Thats unfair across the board and terrible to the larger market teams(aka the ones that build the revenue),

What the NBA should do is limit contracts to three years. Allow no trade clauses after a seond or third extension, and set a different type of max salary. The players should still get the 50% of the total amount of revenue drawn in. The draft should be tweeked to make the worst seed have a 33% chance but decrease the potential for it having a worse pick. I.E. right now the worst team is guaranteed the 4th pick or better. Make them guaranteed the 5th seed or better. This way they could get no gain in most drafts but they could get the best pick as well.

HouRealCoach
06-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Tell the GM's to stop making stupid decisions

THE GIPPER
06-04-2011, 10:35 AM
its tough cuz the players all feel like they can play wherever they want and if there not in LA or florida they're not happy.

basically the players are extremely selfish and need a wake up call.

PhillyFaninLA
06-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Its the GM"s job to get a team out of no man's land not the NBA's.

If you have the right GM, the right coach, and the right ownership they will get you out of it eventually, the fans will kick and scream and demand heads roll but a good owner will stand by the right people and allow the moves to happen and the fans will be happy when they do. If you don't have the right people at the power positions in an organization you won't the right players.

Its not the league's fault or responsibility to make teams better, every team operates under the same rules its just a matter of who is making the decisions. Look at what Miami and NY did and what the Celtics did a few years ago, heck even the Lakers where sort of in no man's land when they got Pau. The ownerships got the right front office in place and much needed moves where made.

dtmagnet
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
It would be good to change the lottery to the NHL's system, only the bottom 5 teams have a shot at the #1 pick.

NYMetropolitans
06-04-2011, 11:29 AM
The NBA doesn't have to do anything. The team's who are stuck in no man's land are stuck there for a reason.

THE_G.O.A.T.
06-04-2011, 11:29 AM
do what they did in "Semi Pro" and disband those crap *** teams. Trade any players of value to the big market teams, and give cut players jobs as ticket vendors/popcorn/practice squad guys. Create 8-12 "superteams" so we don't have to see the Heat in the finals for the next five years.

fadedmario
06-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Detroit = Championships - Were one of a few teams in the league with 3 or more titles - The Pistons will build it back up quicker than you think.

Sadds The Gr8
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM
stop rigging the lottery.

fadedmario
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM

This includes:

Toronto
Milwaukee
Indiana
Detroit
Cleveland
Charlotte
Orlando
Phoenix
Denver
Houston
Portland
Utah
New Orleans

That's actually a neat idea. Make players earn their checks. (Ben Gordon)...

mjt20mik
06-04-2011, 11:55 AM
do what they did in "Semi Pro" and disband those crap *** teams. Trade any players of value to the big market teams, and give cut players jobs as ticket vendors/popcorn/practice squad guys. Create 8-12 "superteams" so we don't have to see the Heat in the finals for the next five years.

It's a business. Some of the teams listed there have really good revenue and bring in good business to the NBA (i.e. Toronto). What your stating would be idiotic.

fadedmario
06-04-2011, 11:59 AM
It's a business. Some of the teams listed there have really good revenue and bring in good business to the NBA (i.e. Toronto). What your stating would be idiotic.

Same with Detroit - were one of the only teams in the league that aren't in debt and turn a profit (even last year)...

save the knicks
06-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Juat hire Donnie Walsh. I hear he is available .

Raoul Duke
06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Revenue sharing would be a great start. Also, the owners and players could be less greedy and take a paycut accross the board to decrease prices accross the board which would make the game more accessible to fans.

Revenue sharing is at least plausible. I don't know if there'll be a hard cap because as nice as that sounds for the smaller market teams, the big market teams would hate the idea and it makes sense that they'd have the bigger voice. I think the most important thing is just for there to be some way to make contracts more performance based, and less just a half decade of guaranteed money. There are instances where you can blame GMs for being stupid and wasting money on buyouts or bad contracts, but good players do get injured.

Sportfan
06-04-2011, 12:35 PM
nothing.

its not that hard climbing back. Just look at the teams in the playoffs from now and 5 years ago

only 3 teams from the East in 2005, are in the playoffs this year (and the Bulls/Pacers) were very low-seeded. 4 teams from the West. it's a cycle.

barreleffact
06-04-2011, 12:57 PM
That's actually a neat idea. Make players earn their checks. (Ben Gordon)...

its called a non-guaranteed contract. GMs dont have to offer guaranteed money.

Additionally, non-guaranteed contracts give the front office and coach the chance to screw over players i.e. ho boston tried to screw nate robinson out of a mil when he was trying to play

Hellcrooner
06-04-2011, 01:35 PM
1st step is buy some coconuts, everybody knows you cant work out anything if you dont have some nice coconuts in your badge.
2nd step would be create a program to teach players how to properly eat a hamburger
3rd step would be creating a guerrilla of suicide hamsters, trained to get bombs into the staples, msg and so on.
4r step break the coconuts, buy some good ol scotish whiskey and make a nice punch.
5 sit in your couch and start reciting some mantras.
6 get tired of the couch and start rolling around while spittint into the walls.
7 order some 3000 pizzas and send them to nba headquarters to the name Sternowsky.
8 get some more rum, share some wiht the surviving hamsters
9 open the window and start peeing at peasants.
10 realize that nba HAS ALWAYS BEEN and WILL ALWAYS BE about Big markets.

Heater4life
06-04-2011, 01:49 PM
1st step is buy some coconuts, everybody knows you cant work out anything if you dont have some nice coconuts in your badge.
2nd step would be create a program to teach players how to properly eat a hamburger
3rd step would be creating a guerrilla of suicide hamsters, trained to get bombs into the staples, msg and so on.
4r step break the coconuts, buy some good ol scotish whiskey and make a nice punch.
5 sit in your couch and start reciting some mantras.
6 get tired of the couch and start rolling around while spittint into the walls.
7 order some 3000 pizzas and send them to nba headquarters to the name Sternowsky.
8 get some more rum, share some wiht the surviving hamsters
9 open the window and start peeing at peasants.
10 realize that nba HAS ALWAYS BEEN and WILL ALWAYS BE about Big markets.

:crazy:

Sly Guy
06-04-2011, 01:52 PM
It would be good to change the lottery to the NHL's system, only the bottom 5 teams have a shot at the #1 pick.

I prefer draft in place. Takes away the whole "Stern Conspiracy" storyline.

Tmath
06-04-2011, 01:55 PM
its tough cuz the players all feel like they can play wherever they want and if there not in LA or florida they're not happy.

basically the players are extremely selfish and need a wake up call.

This.

VCaintdead17
06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I don't understand why the Pacers are anywhere near that list. We have one of the best young cores in the East

kenzo400
06-04-2011, 06:11 PM
How are Raptors stuck in No Mans Land? They have quite a lot of cap space, nice young talent (Derozen, Amir, Bargs) and number 5 pick this year. Stop talking out of your ***, it's clear that you do not know the situation on half the teams you listed.