PDA

View Full Version : To david stern.....

D.Rose#1
06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
BRING BACK THE PHYSICALITY IN BASKETBALL, PLEASE!

The fans loved 90s basketball not only because of the all of the HOF that played in that era but also b/c of the type of basketball was played.

Enough with the refs deciding outcomes of games!

David Stern does not realize that allowing his refs to call little ******** calls and to not call travels is hurting the league.

Either he needs to go or change his ways!

Who agrees?!

marlinsfan24
06-03-2011, 02:44 PM
The refs have not effected the outcome of a single finals game this season...

WriterCyril
06-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Yo, it's always been that way. If Stern actually thought the game was hurting (the NBA is receiving unprecedented success in ratings and interest this year) maybe he would change it. You are the minority sir, and probably pissed cause the Bulls maybe got screwed on some calls.

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
on the contrary.

bring back the 70s and 80s, bring back team play , skills and fundamentals.

bruisers were just a commoddity at the end of the bench for some spurts, now any phisical freak with no iq or skills is a "star"

D.Rose#1
06-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Yo, it's always been that way. If Stern actually thought the game was hurting (the NBA is receiving unprecedented success in ratings and interest this year) maybe he would change it. You are the minority sir, and probably pissed cause the Bulls maybe got screwed on some calls.

this is why I enjoy watching college basketball, less bogus calls. The refs need to be fired and replaced. Most not all. I truly believe that the nba fixes many games to create more revenue. NBA is not nearly as popular as once was, we all no that. Bull **** refs/calls = less people watching the NBA. Personally I cant stand watching all of these travels/bad calls, and it truly ruins the game for me as a person who absolutely loves the game.

marlinsfan24
06-03-2011, 03:04 PM
this is why I enjoy watching college basketball, less bogus calls. The refs need to be fired and replaced. Most not all. I truly believe that the nba fixes many games to create more revenue. NBA is not nearly as popular as once was, we all no that. Bull **** refs/calls = less people watching the NBA. Personally I cant stand watching all of these travels/bad calls, and it truly ruins the game for me as a person who absolutely loves the game.

Umm, NBA ratings are very high right now...

tcav701
06-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Ratings are high because the way the game is played now and the teams (actually just one team lol) that are in the finals attracting the casual fan.

I dislike the Heat as much as anybody else but the fact is, this teams run has brought in casual fans both in their city and across the country. Even someone who does not follow basketball knows the players on this team and saw that their joining forces was front page news.

Every year the NBA becomes more entertainment than it is basketball. I'm not happy about it but it is obviously bringing in the casual fan which creates revenue.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Ratings were at its highest in the nineties. Which was a very physical decade in basketball.

MagicHero3
06-03-2011, 03:32 PM
yeah if you let them get a little more physical then they will just complain more when the refs dont call it

JordansBulls
06-03-2011, 03:34 PM
on the contrary.

bring back the 70s and 80s, bring back team play , skills and fundamentals.

bruisers were just a commoddity at the end of the bench for some spurts, now any phisical freak with no iq or skills is a "star"

The 70's were horrible as well as 80's west.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_15_230/ai_n26829194/?tag=content;col1

Referees have been ordered to emphasize what often is called "the no-touching rule." As the league continues its battle to keep scoring up and thuggery down, it is focusing on perimeter contact as never before.

Though team scoring is holding steady, all those trips to the line have resulted in higher averages for players at the top of the scoring charts. For the first time in 24 seasons, three players--Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson and LeBron James--are likely to average more than 30.0 points for the season. Two years ago, there wasn't a single 30-point scorer. Entering the week, there had been 95 performances of 40 points or more, compared with 67 last season and 41 two seasons ago.

Indeed, the league has created a statistical whirlwind, but there has been a price. The ebb and flow of an 82-game season has added a bit too much ebb, with the continuous whistles creating points for players who are more than capable of creating them for themselves. The aesthetics that result from increased scoring are being negated by all the whistles.

The league's stance is this is nothing new, at least this season. "It's actually been in effect for two years." says NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson. "It was really an outgrowth of the hand check. What evolved is players originally used the hand check in an effort to deter the offensive player or reroute him. And then we saw a real influx of body checks by players in an effort to reroute the offensive player off his path."

On one hand, the no-touch policy has coaches giving the ball to their slashers, which clears the court for either dynamic dunks or frequent free throws. On the other, those same coaches are at their wits' end trying to orchestrate an effective defense.

It is an officiating style that would have turned the smart folks who employed the Jordan Rules into Jordan's fools.

"There is so much stuff being called out on the perimeter," Knicks coach Larry Brown says. "I can't imagine what Michael would have gotten with the hand-check rules the way they're calling it now."

Jordan's former running partner is not so sure he could have reached his own level of success under the current rules. "I'm glad I'm not playing now," Scottie Pippen says. "I wouldn't be a good defensive player."

Even Rothstein, now a Heat assistant coach, is conflicted. Like many who were on Chuck Daly's Pistons staffs in the late '80s, he is consumed with the science of NBA defense. He sees little reason for any player to shoot 20 or 25 free throws in a game. But he appreciates that offense sells and that it's what commissioner David Stern wants and what fans expect in this video-driven era of individual theatrics.

"I understand the nature of the business and who we are and what we are," Rothstein says. "Do I like it? No. But it doesn't matter if 1 like it. There are still very good defenders in this league who do a very good job, who have adjusted to the rules. It used to be you'd get a forearm on and it gave you certain leverage. So you've got to move your feet better. There's no way you can be as good under the current rules."

Rothstein's boss says it is undeniable that the game has changed for today's offensive stars.

"I think guys are just warming up to the whole thing," Heat coach Pat Riley says. "Everybody's starting to realize, 'Hey, I can get a ton here.' So I think this year has really been the first year where the rule is starting to have an impact. We're going to have a 200-point game by a team pretty soon."

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
then don't watch

Dash
06-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Why are Miami fans acting like they have been only getting bad calls on them?

So has Dallas, so stop *****ing.

Yes, the refs are terrible, but don't act like they made you lose. In the 2nd half the refs gave you many calls.

OUbigdaddy
06-03-2011, 03:49 PM
The refs have not effected the outcome of a single finals game this season...

Oh, but they have tried. Want facts? How about that technical foul on Carlisle last night? Was it not the same thing that Spolstra did in the first half? Hell, even Wade went beserk and nothing. Look back on that play, did Chandler foul Wade? Maybee, but if he did it was very minimal and Wade blew up like He was hit by Bynum like JJ was. It wasn't the foul that Carlisle was complaining about, but the elbow the James hit Dirk with that did not get called. And don't bring up the Technical on Miller in the first half. Even Mark Jackson said that was a normal thing to do. Hell he even said that the refs where one sided with that call on Carlisle.

Hiphopopotamus
06-03-2011, 03:52 PM
The 70's were horrible as well as 80's west.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_15_230/ai_n26829194/?tag=content;col1

Yeah, I saw somewhere Bill Simmons stated that if the rules now applied back in the day that MJ would have averaged 45 per game. I would love the game to be more physical. I think we all know the rules were amended because of concerns of Knicks-Heat games (for example) of the 90's where the winner may score 85....maybe.

D.Rose#1
06-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Ratings were at its highest in the nineties. Which was a very physical decade in basketball.

this

Chacarron
06-03-2011, 04:09 PM
then don't watch

Then don't watch.

MagicHero3
06-03-2011, 04:19 PM
real original

whitemamba33
06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
#1 David Stern won't read this. He's going to keep doing what he does, and you are going to keep watching. So you can either learn to like it, or continue to complain like a little girl because the game isn't being played exactly the way you want to see it.

#2 Look at it from a ref perspective. They have to be consistent, and that isn't going to be possible if they start letting things go here and there. It has to be called as a foul or no foul. As soon as you start introducing "he fouled him, but it wasn't hard enough to blow the whistle", you are going to get a ****load of blown calls.

#3 The NBA is doing just fine. And the fact that the Lakers got swept early in the playoffs is a pretty good sign that the NBA isn't fixed.

D.Rose#1
06-03-2011, 11:42 PM
#1 David Stern won't read this. He's going to keep doing what he does, and you are going to keep watching. So you can either learn to like it, or continue to complain like a little girl because the game isn't being played exactly the way you want to see it. Oh and also NBA refs are so inconsistent- an example but not limited to: they always make ****** *** calls for the superstars. I dont even know whats a foul anymore in the NBA.

#2 Look at it from a ref perspective. They have to be consistent, and that isn't going to be possible if they start letting things go here and there. It has to be called as a foul or no foul. As soon as you start introducing "he fouled him, but it wasn't hard enough to blow the whistle", you are going to get a ****load of blown calls.

#3 The NBA is doing just fine. And the fact that the Lakers got swept early in the playoffs is a pretty good sign that the NBA isn't fixed.

umm #1 I know David Stern will not read this, i just wanted to see how many people on this site would agree with me.

#2 Go ***** yourself; i am not complaining like a little girl, ******.

#3 if my memory serves me right i believe only a select number of nba teams actually have been making money-unlike the nfl where every damn team is still bringing in money, and yes that even includes the Jacksonville Jaguars!

whitemamba33
06-03-2011, 11:53 PM
umm #1 I know David Stern will not read this, i just wanted to see how many people on this site would agree with me.

#2 Go ***** yourself; i am not complaining like a little girl, ******.

#3 if my memory serves me right i believe only a select number of nba teams actually have been making money-unlike the nfl where every damn team is still bringing in money, and yes that even includes the Jacksonville Jaguars!

#1 Then try not using the "to david stern..." title next time, genius. This exact thread has been done 100,000 times.

#2 So you tell me you are not complaining like a little girl by complaining even more like a little girl? Classy.

#3 I don't see what your NFL comparison has to do with the NBA doing fine. Is it doing better than every other sport in the world? No. Doesn't mean that it isn't doing fine.

uprightciti
06-04-2011, 12:08 AM
how many players have been seriously injured as a result of very physical basketball
a lot!

Basketball has the highest chances of serious injury compared to any other major sport

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-04-2011, 12:21 AM
how many players have been seriously injured as a result of very physical basketball
a lot!

Basketball has the highest chances of serious injury compared to any other major sport

Have you ever heard of football?

Chacarron
06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
real original

If you are directing this comment to me, all I have to say is you were not here when a revolution almost started on PSD.

six
06-04-2011, 12:56 AM
I completely agree. The refs should let the players play, let them get physical, stop calling so many petty fouls. I can understand if someone getting seriously hurt, but touch fouls get extremely annoying. Especially during close games near the end of the 4 quarter, those petty touch fouls could potentially change the outcome of the game. And many times they do.

210Don
06-04-2011, 01:19 AM
i hope dwade gets all the calls

TheHighLife
06-04-2011, 01:20 AM
It's silly that if you have a tiny cut that is bleeding that you have to be taken out of the game.

210Don
06-04-2011, 01:34 AM
It's silly that if you have a tiny cut that is bleeding that you have to be taken out of the game.

no its not its dangerous... could transmit diseases

EaglePride615
06-04-2011, 02:27 AM
if a player gets a tiny shove the whistle blows. just think how many and 1s jordan would have if he played todays game... scary

EaglePride615
06-04-2011, 02:28 AM

this is just dumb. blood is the number one way to transmit a disease. :mad:

WriterCyril
06-04-2011, 04:19 AM
It's important to keep in mind that these refs are PEOPLE just like you and me. People are going to make mistakes, people are not going to be perfect. Look, like many others have said, if you don't enjoy the game then you probably shouldn't watch it. I hate to sound like a repetitive ***hole to you D.Rose#1 (and other supporters), but ratings are high and even though Stern might not like where the game is (not sure about this just saying this in a 'maybe' sense), his job is to keep interest high in the NBA.

As for people saying that the 90's had better ratings cause of the physicality (or maybe Jordan), read Michael Wilbon's first paragraph (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=wilbon/110530) (especially the last part).

Stern is sure as hell accomplishing his job, don't ya think?

broncosfan4eva
06-04-2011, 04:29 AM
#1 David Stern won't read this. He's going to keep doing what he does, and you are going to keep watching. So you can either learn to like it, or continue to complain like a little girl because the game isn't being played exactly the way you want to see it.

Pretty ironic that this is coming from a Guy with the 3 ways Davis stern screwed us ehh??

lakeshow3peat
06-04-2011, 04:32 AM
I do agree somewhat there has been calls throughout the last couple of years that are like not needed and yes i do understand its part of the game . I think if refs and the nba can see what we see i gurantee you many players will not agrue over a call made by the refs .

papipapsmanny
06-04-2011, 04:35 AM
i mean do you all really like watching players shoot FTs?

whitemamba33
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Pretty ironic that this is coming from a Guy with the 3 ways Davis stern screwed us ehh??

Not when you consider that I copied that from a Miami fan and put it in my sig to make fun of him.

Nice try though.