PDA

View Full Version : Is Greg Ostertag the most underrated Center of All-Time?

Chronz
06-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Did you know in the 1998 Season, Greg Ostertag eliminated Hakeem Olajuwon (With Barkley and Drexler), defeated David Robinson (With Tim Duncan), and blew by Shaq (+Kobe) in the WC Finals. He only lost to Jordan in the Final round.

Thoughts?

llemon
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Did you know in the 1998 Season, Greg Ostertag eliminated Hakeem Olajuwon (With Barkley and Drexler), defeated David Robinson (With Tim Duncan), and blew by Shaq (+Kobe) in the WC Finals. He only lost to Jordan in the Final round.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking Luc Longley was underrated.

Trace
06-03-2011, 02:34 PM

Thoughts?

Can't tell if serious...

SwaggaIke
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I died. Chronz is one of the few respectable posters this board has left. I'm guessing he has some kind of catch to this.

IDB Josh M
06-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Thoughts?

Hell naw. Ostertag had Malone and John stockton to lean on.

TheHighLife
06-03-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a bobble head of Ostertag that I got from Carls Jr. a while back. Does this help your question?

IDB Josh M
06-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I died. Chronz is one of the few respectable posters this board has left. I'm guessing he has some kind of catch to this.

Yeah, the catch is Ostertag played for the greatest team never to win a title.

haggis
06-03-2011, 02:41 PM
:laugh2:

easily yes.

great thread chronz.

haggis
06-03-2011, 02:42 PM
This is the real question though:http://www.basketusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ostertag_playgirl_coverboy.jpg

Chronz
Nope your partaking in a hissy fit, can you believe some of our more credible posters would put forth such a stance?

TheHighLife
I also have Matt Barnes, Vlade Divac, and I believe Darius Songaila. I should probably go find those, they're collectibles.

D Roses Bulls
06-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Thoughts?

seriously chronz? I think that had more to do with malone, stockton, hornacek, bryann russell, and co.....

bakrley and drexler were pretty old by then and not as good as they were just 3-4 years prior to that, heck the rockets started to go down hill after their last championship. shaq and kobe weren't shaq and kobe in 98 and duncan was just a rookie.

greg ostertag? seriously? :D

D Roses Bulls
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking Luc Longley was underrated.

THIS......... or you can add on bill cartwright to that list ;)

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
mmm.

underated?

yes since he was a RESPECTABLE role player and some people in this boards usually uses his name as a joke or as a degradation when comparing to other players....

most underated? not even close.

Ill take Artis Gilmore as most underated.

D Roses Bulls
06-03-2011, 02:56 PM
mmm.

underated?

yes since he was a RESPECTABLE role player and some people in this boards usually uses his name as a joke or as a degradation when comparing to other players....

most underated? not even close.

Ill take Artis Gilmore as most underated.

I was thinking the same thing.

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah, the catch is Ostertag played for the greatest team never to win a title.

mm first 80s bucks and nuggets.
mid 80s hawks , mavs
first 90s cavs, suns, blazers.
late 90s/first 00s kings
first 00s pacers

all the 00s mavs.

all of them arguably better, since there are many candidates i gues at least one of them could be better.

D Roses Bulls
06-03-2011, 03:00 PM
mid 80s hawks , mavs
late 90s/first 00s kings
first 00s pacers

all the 00s mavs.

all of them arguably better, since there are many candidates i gues at least one of them could be better.

all of those teams besides the pacers, suns, mavs and blazers didnt go to the finals and those teams that did made it one year. jazz went two straight years in a rising western conference. I would say that the jazz was the best team to never win it.

llemon
06-03-2011, 03:00 PM
How about Sam Lacey? Clifford Ray? Zelmo Beaty? Mel Daniels? Len Elmore? Joe C. Merriweather? Rik Smits? Billy Paultz? Jim Eakins? Marvin Webster? Wayne Embry? Bob Rule? Rick Robey? Darrall Imhoff? Neal Walk?

tr3ymill3r
06-03-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a bobble head of Ostertag that I got from Carls Jr. a while back. Does this help your question?

Was he in a Jazz uniform or Carl's Jr?

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 03:05 PM
all of those teams besides the pacers, suns, mavs and blazers didnt go to the finals and those teams that did made it one year. jazz went two straight years in a rising western conference. I would say that the jazz was the best team to never win it.

All of those teams INCLUDING THE JAZZ.

Faced unsurmountable Obscatles.

Magic Lakers, Larrys Celtics,THomas pistons, Michales Bulls, Shaq Lakers , Duncan Spurs.

Of course some couldnt make the finals because they faced those monsters in their own conferences.

I think 90s knicks shoudl be added too.

Jaji
06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow didn't know Ostertag did that all by himself. And those idiot HOF voters put Malone and Stockton in. :pity:

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
How about Sam Lacey? Clifford Ray? Zelmo Beaty? Mel Daniels? Len Elmore? Joe C. Merriweather? Rik Smits? Billy Paultz? Jim Eakins? Marvin Webster? Wayne Embry? Bob Rule? Rick Robey? Darrall Imhoff? Neal Walk?

Joe Barry Carroll, Brad Daugherty, Darryl Dawkins, Keivn Duckworth, Rick Smits, Ralph Sampson, nate thurmond and so on ad on.

OUbigdaddy
06-03-2011, 03:16 PM
And don't forget "Big Country" Bryant Reeves...LOL

llemon
06-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Walt Bellamy, Reggie Harding, Bill Laimbeer, Walt Wesley, Mel Counts, Alvin Adams, Dan Issel, Joe Strawder, Connie Dierking

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
^adams and Issel played PF mostly

ALEX GROZA

I win :D

llemon
06-03-2011, 03:27 PM
^adams and Issel played PF mostly

ALEX GROZA

I win :D

Adams Suns starting Center on Suns '76 Finals team.

Issel Nuggets starting Center on Nuggets '76 Finals team.

Dennis Awtry. George Mikan. Kim Hughes. Benoit Benjamin. Dwayne Schintzius. George Johnson

blacknell
06-03-2011, 03:29 PM
boy was i laughing when i read this bull crap. I saw osterag get Shaq's youthful nuts put on his head numerous times and he never shut down the dream ever. I think the Jazz going to the finals was more of Karl malone and John Stockton and had nothing to do with ostertag.

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Adams Suns starting Center on Suns '76 Finals team.

Issel Nuggets starting Center on Nuggets '76 Finals team.

Dennis Awtry. George Mikan. Kim Hughes. Benoit Benjamin. Dwayne Schintzius. George Johnson

lol, benoit benjamin was a Joke.

znick21
06-03-2011, 03:40 PM
i've wanted to quit psd ever since i joined because of how ****ing stupid everyone is, but this thread made me change my mind.

i love greg ostertag, and i don't care who knows it. i celebrate greg ostertag day every year (march 6th) to bask in the awesomeness that is the ostertag. fun fact, did you know he's the only player in nba history to donate an organ (to his sick sister) and come back and play in the nba again after that? he's done more with one kidney than any one of us two-kidney persons could ever dream of.

thanks chronz.

jimbobjarree
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
well he certainly didn't get paid as if he was underrated

wjmoffatt
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
That's the worst arguement ever! How can you even attempt to compare Greg Ostertag beating those teams when he had the all time assist leader on his team, and one of the top all time scorers at power forward. I guess those guys didn't matter at all. It's like saying that Ibaka is the most under rated big man ever, well at least today, because he can benefit from two all pro players.

Most under appreciated Center of all time is George Mikan! Got the lane changed from 6' to 12', outlawed defensive goal tending, and lead LA to 6 championships! Butn ever gets talked about.

Hiphopopotamus
06-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Chronz must be involved in some sort of bet to see how many pages/posts in a thread that is Greg Ostertag based he can get. I just added this one, so you are welcome.

JordansBulls
06-03-2011, 04:04 PM
mid 80s hawks , mavs
late 90s/first 00s kings
first 00s pacers

all the 00s mavs.

80's Nuggets were garbage man. They were never a contender. Bucks were pretty good though. The Hawks were decent a few years in the 00's and the Mavs was only relevant in 1988.

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
80's Nuggets were garbage man. They were never a contender. Bucks were pretty good though. The Hawks were decent a few years in the 00's and the Mavs was only relevant in 1988.

english, natt, vandewhege +issell is FAR from being crap but of course Magic lakers were there.

Mudvayne91
06-03-2011, 04:21 PM

Damn, that thing must be sick

llemon
06-03-2011, 04:30 PM
lol, benoit benjamin was a Joke.

And Dwayne Schinzius wasn't?

Hellcrooner
06-03-2011, 04:42 PM
^yep but he wasnt expected to be anything.

I mean, what was benoit a second pick or something like that?

IDB Josh M
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
mid 80s hawks , mavs
late 90s/first 00s kings
first 00s pacers

all the 00s mavs.

Naw, I stand by my opinion. The only title team since 2000 that can beat the 1998 Utah Jazz is the 2001 Lakers squad.

llemon
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
^yep but he wasnt expected to be anything.

I mean, what was benoit a second pick or something like that?

#3 pick.....which brings us to the Kandiman

Ripper Gein
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
BILL WENNINGTON was the Black Mamba before the Black Mamba was the Black Mamba!!

ManRam
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
This thread makes me happy. :love: Chronz.

Tony_Starks
06-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Greg Ostertag is a pioneer. He paved the way for the Darko's, Zaza Pachulia's, and whatever that big sorry white center for Philly's name is.....

I remember his career with great fondness! Its not everyone that can say they got pimp slapped by a future hall of fame center!

TheHighLife
06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they were all wearing Kings jerseys. Matt Barnes and Vlade were definetly on the Kings before. I think Songaila was too and same with Ostertag. They were on the Kings right?

FriedTofuz
06-03-2011, 05:36 PM
who? can you please give some background information on who this fella is?

Reversed86Curse
06-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Thoughts?

He did this all by himself?

Bruno
06-03-2011, 05:38 PM
lmao. well played sir.

llemon
06-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Wil Perdue, Bison Dele, Jack Haley, Mike Gminski, Pat Cummings, Clemon Johnson, Alton Lister, Big Bobo, Buddah, Mychal Thompson, Caldwell Jones, Tim McCormick, and my personal favorite, Eric Montross

Heediot
06-03-2011, 06:45 PM

Thoughts?

C'mon man. He was a solid role player. He is what he is, if he is underated it would only be slightly.

IDB Josh M
06-03-2011, 06:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Ostertag

Not a very lengthy wikipedia article.

210Don
06-03-2011, 06:54 PM
rockets=old
spurs=young
lakets=young
jazz=complete team

Anilyzer
06-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Thoughts?

actually... to just get serious about this for a moment... no.

Although Ostertag in his way was a kind of fatter larger version of Kevin Love, and he could sometimes (surprisingly) score fairly effectively, and did well on defense when the refs just allowed the kitchen sink to be thrown at Shaq with very few fouls called.

anyways, I don't think he was really underrated... he just kind of was what he was. It's not like he was Hakeem Olajuwon but everybody mistook him for this goonie character who was laughably slow and not-agile. Like the gentle giant in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. etc

In reality a player like zilgaustraus or whatever is probably way better AND more "underrated", seeing as how Ostertagen probably had a cult following in Utah

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Chronz is trying to make a point... he must be....

Tony_Starks
06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
When I used to play with Utah in NBA live the first move I would make was to intentionally bench Ostertag..... I preferred that guy that used to play with the sun visor on.

Lakerhead4ever
06-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Chronz aka greg ostertag

Hangtime
06-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Are you kidding me? Malone and Stockton should give thanks everyday of their lives for what Ostertag did for their careers. They are nothing without him.

I swear.......if I started a thread like this I wouldn't get one damn response. This dude got four pages.

llemon
06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Are you kidding me? Malone and Stockton should give thanks everyday of their lives for what Ostertag did for their careers. They are nothing without him.

Very funny. Nice.

Anilyzer
06-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I swear.......if I started a thread like this I wouldn't get one damn response. This dude got four pages.

It's because you lack confidence and charisma. I think that is why your threads seem to go flat, and you get very few responses or interest.

wesso2008
06-04-2011, 11:26 AM
i'm thinking luc longley was underrated.

luuuuuuuccccccc!!!!

xbrackattackx
06-04-2011, 11:35 AM
luuuuuuuccccccc!!!!

llloooonnnnnggggglllllyyyyyy,,,,,,

xbrackattackx
06-04-2011, 11:37 AM

We all love chronz....who are you again?;)

Sadds The Gr8
06-04-2011, 11:41 AM
:laugh2:

ramz.n
06-04-2011, 11:44 AM
greg who ?!?!

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I get it. Great post!

I thought there was a novel you had to get to reading ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I also have Matt Barnes, Vlade Divac, and I believe Darius Songaila. I should probably go find those, they're collectibles.

I got 20 bucks for Vlade plus postage! and 5 for Matt Barnes, depending what uniform he's wearing ;-)

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I got ostertag on my facebook :-)

Chronz
06-04-2011, 04:03 PM
About time you showed up. Ladies and gents the first guy to expose me to Ostertags greatness.

Seriously tho on a scale of 1:10 where would you rate the discovery of this virtuoso trifecta of a performance.

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
About time you showed up. Ladies and gents the first guy to expose me to Ostertags greatness.

Seriously tho on a scale of 1:10 where would you rate the discovery of this virtuoso trifecta of a performance.

I would have showed up earlier, but I've been out yard saling with the old lady.

The discovery is a 10!!!!!!!!!!

KnicksR4Real
06-04-2011, 04:16 PM
no way jose

Raph12
06-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Chronz is just showing the quality of threads nowadays...

Team Success ≠ Individual Talent

JordansBulls
06-04-2011, 05:13 PM

Who were you looking for?

Hawkeye15
06-04-2011, 06:38 PM
No, he was a good role player with 2 HOF'ers in their prime, and simply took up the middle. I don't think we can classify him as the most underrated center of all time, not even close. But his presence was obviously underrated to an extent.

SANDBURG23
06-04-2011, 07:05 PM

Thoughts?

No Luc Longley fux'd him up twice in the playoffs, and he was an average C for his time. If you get fux'd up in the playoffs finals i two diffrent years by an average Center, there is now way your under rated. Over rated maybe. Also ostertag didnt guard Shaq, Malone did.