PDA

View Full Version : Is The Celebration Of Dunks Getting Out Of Hand

JasonJohnHorn
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
This was actually brought up a couple weeks ago, but I couldnt find the thread and I was wondering what fans thought of this in general. It seems that throughout this playoffs, and especially in the finals, players really like to celebrate the dunk, screaming and looking to the fans when they SHOULD be getting back on defence. I've seen this celebrating lead to 3 on 5s and 4 on 5s, and it seems like some players are treating a FG as if it were a touch down. In a touch down, play stops, clock stops, and there is time to celebrate, not to mention the fact that there are usually only three or four touch downs in a game. Celebrating a goal in hockey or soccer, makes sence and fits in with the game/time. Same with touch downs. But I think dunk celebrations are getting out of hand and actually impacting the game.

Thoughts?

LTBaByyy
06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
The Heat did that after every dunk in game 2, you would think the Heat was up by big time the entire game with the dunk contest like emotions from the big 3

The Mavs never let it got to them so its whatever

3Blueforyou
06-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Players will do what they will, I am a not a big fan of it but what can ya do. Does it deter from focus of the game, maybe. The heat really gave that game back when they started playing to the crowd. Boxing and what not.

Rentzias
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
If it costs them on the other side, i.e. not getting back on defense, then that's retribution enough, and that looks bad for that player. Like I said in the other thread as well, it has to meet certain criteria for it to be okay, i.e. I should celebrate when I dunk on my 6'1" cousin in a league game and not when I dunk on my neighbor's 4'1" daughter after church on Sunday.
I remember Larry Bird getting on Reggie Miller for his jumping spinning around celebration during the Bulls series as well; those guys celebrated plays that mattered.

k.smith904
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM
I watched Boshtrich's head nearly implode after a simple tip-in dunk last night.

Yes, it's ridiculous.

twoearl
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Would this have been an issue if the Heat held on to win last night? If anyone is trying to make sometime type of correlation to chest bumping and the reason they lost the game I'm not buying it...

Sadds The Gr8
06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
if it's an amazing dunk then who cares...but if it's a crappy little putback like Rupaul had last night then yes...he acted like he dunked it through the legs from half...pretty ridiculous

sammid21
06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
this is a big reason why i cant watch these finals as much as i want to, the Heat players celebrate too much and overdramatize every shot they make. i get it sometimes if they player makes a great play or dunk but dont over do it. much like when they beat boston, they acted like they won the title. Egos that big make me want to not watch. Jordan had a huge ego, but not like these fools in miami...... Go Mavs

Raoul Duke
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Dude, if I had as many easy dunks in a row as the Heat had in game 2, I'd find it hard not to be giddy and celebrating. There was a four or five minute span where it looked like an And1 mix-tape.

AddiX
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
These players on the heat been dunking since they were in middle school. It's completely out of hand, it doesn't even look natural the way they celebrate after dunks, its like they think it's cool.

Amd bron, seriously, looking into the crowd after every dunk? Get over yourself...

sammid21
06-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Dude, if I had as many easy dunks in a row as the Heat had in game 2, I'd find it hard not to be giddy and celebrating. There was a four or five minute span where it looked like an And1 mix-tape.

Right but the And1 players arent PROFESSIONAL athletes, Miami over does it and it gets annoying

Raoul Duke
06-03-2011, 12:07 PM
These players on the heat been dunking since they were in middle school. It's completely out of hand, it doesn't even look natural the way they celebrate after dunks, its like they think it's cool.

Amd bron, seriously, looking into the crowd after every dunk? Get over yourself...

Dude, 'Bron was strutting around like a peacock and jacking up terrible shots toward the end of the game, and he kept leaving his hand up like "oh yeah count that ****". I don't have a horse in this race, but that bugged me and made me glad that they lost. They totally got away from the blue collar work that got thm such a great win in game one.

m26555
06-03-2011, 12:11 PM
If it costs them on the other side, i.e. not getting back on defense, then that's retribution enough, and that looks bad for that player. Like I said in the other thread as well, it has to meet certain criteria for it to be okay, i.e. I should celebrate when I dunk on my 6'1" cousin in a league game and not when I dunk on my neighbor's 4'1" daughter after church on Sunday.
I remember Larry Bird getting on Reggie Miller for his jumping spinning around celebration during the Bulls series as well; those guys celebrated plays that mattered.
:laugh2:

ChitownSports16
06-03-2011, 12:22 PM
It's getting alittle crazy and at the same time annoying. But, lets not pick on the Heat for this because theres at least one tool in every team that does it all the time. But, I do agree they did get out of hand last night. I wish I can celebrate and yell at work for every good thing I've done :)

TChef02
06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I always lean towards the old expression "act like you're been there before"

I think it's a bigger intimidation factor when you dunk on someone or reject a player and just walk away like it's routine for you. Maybe that's why MJ was so amazing; the closest thing to celebrating I remember from him is a shrug or something along those lines. All you hear about MJ is how effortless he made the amazing look and I think that's why... he treated his amazing plays like they were easy for him.

drobe86
06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
The Heat as a team think Highlight Reel plays=wins. but they don't its only worth 2 points. And that's why they lost last night. They thought the game was over because they were dunking and screaming. And James is out here shooting fadeaway 3's trying to show boat. Its hilarious. The mavs dont have to do that. Just dunk and get back on D. The Heat are a disgrace to the game....

haggis
06-03-2011, 12:41 PM

This^

Yes, it's annoying as ****.

omdigga
06-03-2011, 12:49 PM
its fun and pumps up the team and crowd.. but when overdone it starts looking stupid.. the heat are straddling the line.. they make amazing plays, so its hard not to react.. cant really blame them for being excited about the awesomeness the possess.. as long as the team doesnt let it effect the game..

last nights amazing comeback wasnt because the heat were celebrating to early.. i think it was more about the toughness of the mavs.. give them some credit..

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 12:49 PM
i used to think it was cool on occasion. like a huge dunk that gets everyone out of their seat (see about any vince carter dunk from an earlier age :D ) but when chris bosh is screaming like a donkey during an orgasm on a tip in dunk...that just gets beyond annoying...

sammid21
06-03-2011, 12:55 PM
its fun and pumps up the team and crowd.. but when overdone it starts looking stupid.. the heat are straddling the line.. they make amazing plays, so its hard not to react.. cant really blame them for being excited about the awesomeness the possess.. as long as the team doesnt let it effect the game..

last nights amazing comeback wasnt because the heat were celebrating to early.. i think it was more about the toughness of the mavs.. give them some credit..

After a while (the first couple of months of the season) is ok, but in 82 games plus the playoffs? it gets annoying. Check out the other great teams, Bulls, Lakers of the past, they never took it that overboard.

And the Mavs themselves said it motivated them to play harder because of the ridiculous celebrating in fron tof the mavs bench by Wade and Lebron. and then they denied it in the post game and said every team does that... ummm not to that extend, Jordan did it AFTER they won and rarely during the games, even Kobe. he would just do that phony teeth showing thing, never what LBJ and Wade do

daleja424
06-03-2011, 12:57 PM
ya, damn those players for showing emotion... damn those players for being excited... damn those players for caring as much about their game as we do...

daleja424
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
and way to prove how immature you all are once again... a league wide phenomenon has once again boiled down to hating on the HEAT any possible way...

king4day
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I don't mind if a timeout is called and nothing is happening.
Otherwise, run back on defense and make your silly scream faces :)

daleja424
06-03-2011, 01:00 PM
last thing... after big time plays everyone in the crowd roars and screams... yet the player that actually does it is suppose to shrug it off and walk away? If I ever have the chance to dunk in a game you better damn well believe I am going to be yelling and screaming!

smilez15
06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
HAHAHAHA... ENOUGH !!!! Alll of you are just HEAT HATER.. LOL.. Anything that they do, you guys just go off from it.. LOL.. Screaming after every dunk, whats the problem if any of you can dunk i bet in a pick up game will do the same.. :).. Its a momentum changer, gets the crowd in the game.. WHats the problem.. IF your going to complain about that why not complain when this dork STevenson every time he make a three He shows it off, just like Dirk.. lol.. Please is part of the game just STFU !!!

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM
last thing... after big time plays everyone in the crowd roars and screams... yet the player that actually does it is suppose to shrug it off and walk away? If I ever have the chance to dunk in a game you better damn well believe I am going to be yelling and screaming!

you don't see jason kidd screaming and going crazy after a lay up...thats what some of the dunks were equal to (excitement wise) and they were acting like just brought down the house. just ridiculous

daleja424
06-03-2011, 01:07 PM
ya... lebron and wade dunks are as exciting as a jason kidd layup... do you honestly expect anyone to take you seriously saying crap like that?

sammid21
06-03-2011, 01:08 PM
and way to prove how immature you all are once again... a league wide phenomenon has once again boiled down to hating on the HEAT any possible way...

Its not hate, its annoyance, these are supposed to be professional athletes, act like youve been there. the occasional celebration after an unbeleivable play is understandable. or unless LBJ and Wade and Bosh arent good players then ok celebrate that because they did something they dont normally do, but the heat over do it, great players dont showboat that much

annoying is different than hate.

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:09 PM
ya... lebron and wade dunks are as exciting as a jason kidd layup... do you honestly expect anyone to take you seriously saying crap like that?

bosh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VrPv6zN9k

yea, that was the most unbelievable put back i've ever seen

smith&wesson
06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Nah, i dont think its a big deal. ... usually players celebrate while running back to theyre defensive end. i havent seen any one get blown by while they were celebrating.

If a player is celebrating to the point where he is giving up a fast break on D then its the coaches job to tell him to settle down

daleja424
and yet I dont see you calling out Noah or Boozer... who scream as much as anyone in the league... wonder why :shrug:

TheHighLife
Its extremely irritating when LeBron thinks his dunk is impressive and he stops and stairs at the crowd and bobs his head back and forth with his mouth open.

daleja424
06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
bosh?

bosh has had some big dunks... maybe his tip dunk wasn't blake griffin crazy... but it is also about the moment. It is also about the fact that Bosh sucked all night and he finally made a productive play to help the HEAT extend a lead. Situation matters my friend...

yelling after a dunk is a pure relase of emotion... and without emotion basketball would hardly be worth watching

daleja424
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Its extremely irritating when LeBron thinks his dunk is impressive and he stops and stairs at the crowd and bobs his head back and forth with his mouth open.

ya...b/c Lebron's dunks weren't impressive :facepalm:

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:15 PM
and yet I dont see you calling out Noah or Boozer... who scream as much as anyone in the league... wonder why :shrug:

hahaha boozer is an idiot as well with it. i'll give ya that. noah, he just doesn't seem like he knows how to talk, so it could very well just be what it sounds like coming out of his mouth when he gets excited?

sammid21
06-03-2011, 01:16 PM

Noah is a spaz and Boozer sucks he can barely jump so it is kind of amazing that a 6'7-8 PF that cant jump actually dunks (dissing Boozer), at least this year. they arent the caliber of players as Lebron or Wade, or to the lesser extend Bosh. When Rose celebrates, its only after a great play or a strong comeback, he never celebrates when up by a lot and he make a good play

LOOTERX9
06-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Last thing we need is stern to start issuing technical fouls for celebrating. That will be the death nail for the NBA. It is already been turned into a soft metro- sexual league cause of sterns rules. Lets not give stern any ideas

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:18 PM
bosh has had some big dunks... maybe his tip dunk wasn't blake griffin crazy... but it is also about the moment. It is also about the fact that Bosh sucked all night and he finally made a productive play to help the HEAT extend a lead. Situation matters my friend...

yelling after a dunk is a pure relase of emotion... and without emotion basketball would hardly be worth watching

yea...after bosh blew his load after that dunk he went back to doing nothing. maybe he should have saved some energy to help the team win?

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Last thing we need is stern to start issuing technical fouls for celebrating. That will be the death nail for the NBA. It is already been turned into a soft metro- sexual league cause of sterns rules. Lets not give stern any ideas

your sig makes me laugh...same thing happened to jameer and he got up and pretty much drug his arm off the floor while jogging into the locker room hahahaha

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
:pity: This guy complains about everything.

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7VrPv6zN9k

bosh celebrating with wade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEm78d8lrLk&feature=fvst

carter celebrating with garnett

whats funny is they act the same with the celebration, but one dunk is a taaaad better than the other

uptown0364
06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Add that to all the complaining lebron and wade do after a non foul call and it's pretty funny. In the 3rd quarter after Wade missed that wide open fast break layup he complained to the official instead of getting back on D. The Mavs had an easy layup as a result on the other end. That play was just as important as Dirk's game winning layup because it counted for the same amount of points.

daleja424
06-03-2011, 01:32 PM
I see... so after a dunk a player should log on to psd to see if the haters think it is worthy of emotion...

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I see... so after a dunk a player should log on to psd to see if the haters think it is worthy of emotion...

its not hating, its just stupid. i mean if it is a legit rim shaking dunk over top of someone, i mean hell yea, go nuts. if its a put back with the ball 5 inches off the rim and no one boxing you out? just turn around and get back on defense instead of screaming like a ******* and having a team mate "dust" you off. which was just as ********

Allthatisports
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM
The yelling, screaming, pounding their chest while the other team is going down the floor bothers me more than anything else in basketball. The big 3 displayed that nonsense all night. Were they great dunks? Absolutely. But they count as 2 points, just like any other basket. It's gotten ridiculous in my eyes.

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 01:43 PM

:laugh2: This.

Lakerhead4ever
06-03-2011, 02:02 PM
i dont like it at all. but everyone does it. maybe except the more experienced teams such as the spurs laker mavs boston.

but notice the teams i names are always somewhere near championships..

something to think about

kntresistheheat
06-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I find it funny how bulls fans and some Dallas fans comes in here and talk about celebrating after a dunk! It's part of the game now and it excites the crowd, I jump off my feet and yell when I see a dunk and they are yelling. Bulls fans you have 3 players that does the same thing Noah, Boozer (bobble head) and Gibson that jumps up and down flapping his arms like if he wants to fly or something? Mavs fans have 4 players.. Dirk with sticking his tongue at the fans, Terry with the airplane (he defiantly want to fly) Stevenson with the 3 fingers up and a circle and then Marion bouncing back like he wants to fight someone? Again, all it does is hype up the fans and your team and there's nothing wrong with that!

rapjuicer06
06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
gibson owned on his two dunks. wade and lebron usually do as well, but bosh? no...i guess thats my biggest problem. i don't care so much for wade or lebron because they don't do it after every dunk...well wade doesn't...but lebrons dunks are usually ridiculous. but bosh? really?

Tony_Starks
06-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't mind it at all. I'd rather see guys fired up as opposed to being out there acting like robots. At the same time if you can dish it out you have to be ready to look like idiots if you do all that and blow the game......

marlinsfan24
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
I don't mind it at all. I'd rather see guys fired up as opposed to being out there acting like robots. At the same time if you can dish it out you have to be ready to look like idiots if you do all that and blow the game......

x2

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I love celebrations and smack talk. The best is when you yell at the other teams bench or their fans. But if you do this then you have to back it up and win the game...

BkOriginalOne
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Only for the Heat, cause in their head, their already the champs.

roshan3ai
06-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Do you just sit around and look for stupid **** to complain about? Really who cares if they celebrate?

ddhulett
06-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah I agree it's a little excessive when they scream and and hit their chest!

It's not just the Heat a lot guys do it we just see it almost every time the Heat score because that's about the only way they do score.

I think I would cheer for the first guy that makes a thunder-res dunk and just runs back down the court like nothing happen!

Walk off Home runs aren't even celebrated like that!

2-15's4-22's
06-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Do you just sit around and look for stupid **** to complain about? Really who cares if they celebrate?

this ........ its really amazing how bad people hate the heat, you make a thread about the fans dont show up early to games?????? lol really? but come on who the **** makes a thread about dunking and then celebrating and then making it seem like thats what blew the lead ridiculous

I think someone should open a everything heat hate thread so people can rant and talk **** instead of having to see dumbazz stupid azz threads like this

ewing
06-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Those guys are Hollywood

EricU812
06-03-2011, 03:29 PM

I think it's a bigger intimidation factor when you dunk on someone or reject a player and just walk away like it's routine for you. Maybe that's why MJ was so amazing; the closest thing to celebrating I remember from him is a shrug or something along those lines. All you hear about MJ is how effortless he made the amazing look and I think that's why... he treated his amazing plays like they were easy for him.

Exactly what I was thinking, almost word for word.

Law25
06-03-2011, 03:30 PM
I actually enjoy it. Its entertaining and if they celebrate to long its on them. I think fans should stop *****ing so darn much. I mean really its so much *****ing and moaning from fan these days on stuff that really dosent even matter its crazy. The occasional reff whineing is ok because reff makes mistakes that look intentional at times but other than that lets stop *****ing about the way they celebrate their three's, dunks, blocks, and whatever else. People forget part of the game is entertainment.

Dallas Tx4Life
06-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Ya, the Heat are the only ones that do this, and they should be banned from the league for it... :facepalm:

deshawn stevenson sure seems to look through his little A-Ok 3-pointer symbol every time he makes one... tyson chandler screams after dunks and gets all crazy... but since it cost the heat last night lets all just bask in it... :facepalm: you heat haters are ridonkulous

MagicHero3
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
its cool as long as chris bosh isnt doing it lol

Dallas Tx4Life
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
its cool as long as chris bosh isnt doing it lol

:laugh: HAHAHAHAH true that... doing his signature dinosaur hatching from an egg dance

MagicHero3
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Ya, the Heat are the only ones that do this, and they should be banned from the league for it... :facepalm:

deshawn stevenson sure seems to look through his little A-Ok 3-pointer symbol every time he makes one... tyson chandler screams after dunks and gets all crazy... but since it cost the heat last night lets all just bask in it... :facepalm: you heat haters are ridonkulous

yeah and all that stuff they do is equal to Miami's "roars"
so no complaints on my end. it all evens out.

the only over-celebration was wade and lebron after wade hit that 3.

Tony_Starks
06-03-2011, 04:52 PM

I don't know about that one buddy, I seem to remember MJ clowning on plenty of occasions. When he dunked on Mutumbo and waved the finger at him. When he dunked on Alonzo and stood over him and roared. Same thing with Patrick Ewing. Running down the court talking smack face to face with Barkley. It wasn't on a nightly basis like these guys now days but please believe MJ was certainly no stranger to the antics......

8kobe24
06-03-2011, 06:00 PM
I don't mind the celebration after dunks...but lebron and wade need to get T'd up every time they do excessive complaining and or over react on a call that doesn't go their way. NBA has to be consistent with the rules...

jrm2054
06-03-2011, 06:03 PM
they are getting over the top

Mike Oxlong
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
It's stupid and dunks aren't even impressive. You are 6 ****ing 8 (or bigger) you are supposed to be able to dunk. I am impressed by someone that is shorter doing it though.