PDA

View Full Version : You're a new GM in the NBA. Which of these 5 teams do you choose

Clippersfan86
06-03-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm going to break down these teams in simplified categories. Main talent depth (most valuable), cap situation, draft positioning and the mix of players. Mix of players meaning let's say the team is constructed as a balanced inside/out team... or is a run and gun perimeter team like the Warriors etc. I'll also list the playstyle of each (remember coach runs this, not you). Choose the franchise you feel you'd enjoy the most and has a realistic shot at success. Rank them 1-5 as well. Don't factor in ownership or coaching because it becomes too complex. Pretend all of these teams are owned by Mark Cuban or Jerry Buss. The 5 teams are the Clippers, Thunder, Grizzlies, Wolves and Kings.

Clippers:

Talent: Blake Griffin, Eric Gordon, DeAndre Jordan, Eric Bledsoe, Chris Kaman, Al Farouq Aminu, Mo Williams.

Cap situation: Very positive. Clippers are under the cap by 5 million currently.

Draft situation: No draft picks for 2011 draft. Minnesota's 2012 unprotected 1st round pick.

Mix of players: Great size and athleticism. Most explosive team in the league. Very young team. Great rebounders and flashy dunkers. Great off the court chemistry.

Style of play: Inside team. Likes to bully the ball inside. 2nd in the league in points in the paint. Inconsistent but capable when it comes to outside shooting. Strong on the boards and in the paint on both ends. Turnover prone. Extremely inexperienced team.

Thunder:

Talent: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka, James Harden, Eric Maynor, Kendrick Perkins.

Cap situation: Solid. 1 million in cap space.

Draft situation: 24th pick in 2011 draft.

Mix of players: Great athleticism. Lacks size compared to other contenders. Intelligent defensive unit. Lots of young talent. Very tight group on and off the court.

Style of play: Fastbreaking team that plays best on the perimeter. Dominant team when they can create fastbreak opportunities. Top team in the league when it comes to interior defense. Gets caught up in too many Isolation attempts. Zero offensive presence in the paint.

Grizzlies:

Talent: Zach Randolph, Rudy Gay, Mike Conley, Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, OJ Mayo.

Cap situation: Poor. Pretty much 0 flexibility going forward especially if Marc Gasol is re-signed. Over the cap by 11 million before Zach Randolph deal.

Draft situation: No 1st round pick in the 2011 NBA draft.

Mix of players: Excellent depth, elite perimeter defense, great size and quickness. Solid off the court chemistry.

Style of play: Inside team. Lead the league in points in the paint by a good margin. Good on the boards. Also a great transition team due to being the best team in the league at forcing turnovers and getting steals. Lacks interior defense and struggles with athletic teams at times.

T'Wolves:

Talent: Wesley Johnson, Michael Beasley, Kevin Love, Luke Ridnour, Darko Milicic.

Cap situation: Good. Around 5 million in cap space.

Draft situation: Excellent. Though considered a weaker draft they have the #2 pick which may get them a very solid player.

Mix of players: Great rebounders. Pretty much all offensive minded players. No established leader or go to guy. Average off the court chemistry.

Style of play: Best rebounding team in the league. Strength is definitely on the offensive glass. Struggles defensively in every aspect. When it comes to scoring they are a middle of the road team.

Kings:

Talent: Marcus Thornton, Tyreke Evans, DeMarcus Cousins, Omri Cappsi, Jason Thompson and Beno Udrih.

Cap situation: Excellent. 14 million in cap space.

Draft situation: Solid. 7th pick in the 2011 NBA draft.

Mix of players: Solid athleticism. Good size. Multiple guys with a nose for the ball on the boards. Poor to average off the court chemistry.

Style of play: Very balanced style of play. Great inside scoring team (4th best), great transition team and great rebounding team (4th best). Struggles defensively. Definitely more of a volume scoring team than an efficient one. 26th worst 3 point shooting team in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Sac
Wolves

in that order.

Clippersfan86
06-03-2011, 05:09 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Sac
Wolves

in that order.

Me too :clap:.

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 05:10 AM
Not me. I rather have Wolves than Kings. Im actually a Rubio fan.

Clippersfan86
06-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Well my theme is more which team is likely to be a contender or that you feel you could make competitive the quickest etc. Not just which player you like etc. :D. No biggie though.

Hawkeye15
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Even as a Wolves fan, I recognize that Evans when healthy and Cousins are better than anything the Wolves have collectively, and they have tons of cap space.

I guess I would actually drop them to 5th due the future of the franchise in uncertainty now.

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Even as a Wolves fan, I recognize that Evans when healthy and Cousins are better than anything the Wolves have collectively, and they have tons of cap space.

I guess I would actually drop them to 5th due the future of the franchise in uncertainty now.

No one will sign in Sacramento, especially now given how they might relocate. Kevin Love has more value that anyone the Kings have right now. Not to mention that the Wolves have the 2nd pick this year (which could net them a very solid piece via draft or trade).

Potential lineup for the next 6 years:
Rubio
_____
Wesley Matthews
Kevin Love
_____

is something that I would be more happy with than with the Kings, since the 2nd pick could also get me a Derrick Williams or a C.

Knicks21
06-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Wolves
Sac

Fnom11
06-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I'd take Grizz, they have the best potential imo considering they can trade Gay for a piece that would make them the best in the West.

benzni
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
too easy.

Thunder
Clippers
Grizz if you can trade pieces to lower cap
Wolves
Kings

Shareeb_omac2
06-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Why aren't the Wizards included in this?

GreekFreak
06-03-2011, 08:36 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Kings
Grizzlies
Wolves

nycsports2
06-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Me too :clap:.

this, thunder easily there loaded with young talent

PhillyFaninLA
06-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Thunder followed by Clips.

I believe the Griz showed what they are, and I'm not sure if Zach Randolph finally stepped up or just had his best season.

I don't want anything to do with the Kings, I don't believe in that team and Cousins is highly combustible and he showed his talent and the fact he's a head case all year and that his red flags at draft time are things to worry about.

I have no confidence in the Wolves roster and I never believed in Rubio. The big thing I have repeatably heard about him is that he has a great behind the back pass, that's a concern to me because they are talking about one specialty thing and aside from Love I don't believe in this team. If I was there GM I am not trading the 2nd overall without huge and unreasonable compensation because they need to get better player.

PhillyFaninLA
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM

I was thinking the same thing about the Sixers but the subject lines says Which of these 5 teams. The TC just wanted us to choose from those 5 that is why.

DerekRE_3
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
You undersold the Kings cap space. Under the current CBA, they actually have about $29 million in cap space.

And of course out of those five teams, I'd choose my hometown team, the Kings.

Master Mind
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Kings
Wolves
Grizz

DerekRE_3
06-03-2011, 10:07 AM
No one will sign in Sacramento, especially now given how they might relocate. Kevin Love has more value that anyone the Kings have right now. Not to mention that the Wolves have the 2nd pick this year (which could net them a very solid piece via draft or trade).

Rubio
_____
Wesley Matthews
Kevin Love
_____

is something that I would be more happy with than with the Kings, since the 2nd pick could also get me a Derrick Williams or a C.

Evans and Cousins have immense upside. I'd argue Cousins has a higher ceiling than Love because of his physical attributes as well as his all around skill level (Post, shooting, rebounding, passing, defense). He's a lot longer than Love at 6'11 with a 7'5 wingspan. His body is also not even close to being fully developed. Oh...and he's 20. All Evans needs is a jumpshot. At 21, he has plenty of time to get one.

Also, Marcus Thornton is no joke. He's better than anyone on that Wolves team sans Love. And he's entering just his third year in the league.

And, you can't forget about Hassan Whiteside either. He didn't play at all last year, but they drafted him as a 2-3 year project anyways. At 7'0 with a 7'7 wingspan, he's got insane length and at the very least will be a ridiculous shot blocker.

The Kings are also in perfect position to take advantage of the new CBA, where the NBA is looking to drastically cut salaries and make it easier for small market teams. They only have $28 mil in committed salary next season and should be able to retain Marcus Thornton easily, as he is a restricted free agent who also falls under the Gilbert Arenas clause.

BALLER R
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
question how did you go about choosing your five, i was thinking it was gonna be teams that weren't playoff teams. your a new GM so how would you get these teams to become contenders...silly me...maybe i should just make a thread on that

mttwlsn16
06-03-2011, 10:19 AM
clippers baby :clap: ill take em over the heat :)

smith&wesson
06-03-2011, 10:24 AM
toe nail clippers.

3Blueforyou
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Clippers, you have an up and coming C. He could make Kaman expendable, and maybe a trade deadline move pending how jordan develops during the season, also where they are in the playoff race. That minny pick for next year i think is gunna be good, cause they are gunna suck again imo. Rubio if he makes an impact is at least a year away.

Raidaz4Life
06-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Thunder

This is a team that is 2 years away from being a championship team without any changes made.

THE GIPPER
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Sac
Wolves

in that order.

This but i would switch grizz and sac

Lil Half Dead
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Clippers
Thunder
Kings
Grizzlies
Wolves

Came down to the franchise player for me. Durant or Griffin? I gave Blake the nod, I prefer to have the post presence rather than the scorer. Clips have expendable pieces to go out and bring in another big time player to put with Griffin if you wanted to go that route, or you can easily continue to fill needs via draft and free agency. Clips would be fun to toy with.

tyfreaks brotha
06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Kings
Thunder

heyman321
06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Thunder
Grizz
Clippers
Wolves
Kings

John Walls Era
06-03-2011, 01:26 PM

We don't get credit.

todu82
06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Wolves
Sac

TheHighLife
06-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Kings.

DeyAce
06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Replace Thunder with Raptors. And out of those, I'd choose the grizzlies.

ttam68
06-03-2011, 01:59 PM
They only have $28 mil in committed salary next season and should be able to retain Marcus Thornton easily, as he is a restricted free agent who also falls under the Gilbert Arenas clause.

What does that mean?

Clippersfan86
06-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Guys this theme was mainly next years playoff race in the west. I didn't want to write a massive thread by including the Warriors, Wizards, Sixers and maybe Hawks. First of all I don't see any of those teams with finals potential... and none of them have a franchise player besides maybe John Wall with the Wizards.

DR_1
06-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Clippers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Wolves
Kings

In that order

asandhu23
06-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizz
Sac
Wolves

in that order.

you wouldn't choose your own favorite team before those?

asandhu23
06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Obviously I would choose my own favorite team the Warriors but they are not in the selection.

Kings
Clippers
Wolves
Grizzlies
Thunder

Shareeb_omac2
06-03-2011, 05:27 PM
We don't get credit.

I'm a Mavericks fan but live in Maryland so I want nothing but success for the Wizards as long as it doesn't interfere with Mavs.

The 916 Guy
06-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Don't factor in ownership or coaching because it becomes too complex. Pretend all of these teams are owned by Mark Cuban or Jerry Buss.

With that in mind I'd say the Kings. They have the most cap space available and solid prospects. You could completely revamp the team however you want.

kozelkid
06-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Thunder
Grizz
LAC- I love Blake, but working for Sterling would blow...
Min
Sac

FriedTofuz
06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
thunder,Clippers, wizards, kings, raptors, timberwolves.

Jag4444
06-03-2011, 06:04 PM
What about the Pacers? They have a very young core (Collison, George, Hansborough, and Hibbert), and a fringe all-star who could be moved in Granger. Also don't forget that they have the most cap room out of anybody in the NBA this off season.

DerekRE_3
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
What does that mean?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q38

#38 on the table of contents

bigA9331
06-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Thunder
Clippers
Grizzliess
Kings
Wolves

ne3xchamps
06-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I would chose the clipps hands down. They are on the verge of becoming competitive for awhile. Young talented core, and flexibility with the cap.

I will also add the clippers are going to surprise some people next year(if there is one).

topdog
06-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Thunder: just need more experience/minor pieces

Clippers: Griffin is the annointed one, Gordon is a real quality wing and they own the Wolves 2012 pick but they do have a few ex-Wolve discards getting significant time...

Wolves: Rubio has the attention of the league, top 2 draft pick, young pieces to grow or trade

Grizz: too much money invested in players who I just don't see working out in the long run, Gasol gave me the greatest hesitation in putting them this low

Sacto: some real talent here but also a fear that their best players are difficult to play with and manage, plus the arena situation

Tony_Starks
06-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I'd roll with the Clippers. Great young talent, trade bait, and flexibility. And best of all, NO BARON DAVIS!

Lake_Show2416
06-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Thunder
Kings
Clips
Grizzlies
Wolves

Baller1
06-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Thunder
Clipper
Grizzlies
Wolves
Kings

Clippersfan86
06-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Yea guys don't be offended if I left you out. My choosing of these teams have to do with western conference future contenders with a good all around situation going forward. Teams like the Warriors, Wizards, Pacers, Sixers and Hawks don't have clearly defined star players, lots of unknowns going forward (such as Monta Ellis and Granger being shopped heavily) and as I said earlier I don't know if they have a guy who can lead them deep into the playoffs.

theheatles
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
thunder
grizz
clippers
kings
twolves

jrm2054
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Thunder
Clippers

Chi StateOfMind
06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
1.) Thunder
2.) Grizzlies
3.) Clippers
4.) Kings
5.) Wolves

cbreezy34
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Im not sure I understand ur formula for choosing these 5 teams. Were are the Sixers?

cbreezy34
06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh... there western confrence teams... gotcha

TrueFan420
06-03-2011, 09:00 PM
1.) Thunder
2.) Grizzlies
3.) Clippers
4.) Kings
5.) Wolves

this

Wilson
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Of the teams listed I would pick the Thunder. Of the lot I think they're the most soundly run, they have the best combination of an owner who is willing to spend but who won't force you to make panic signs/trades. Those kind of things can destroy a GM's reputation.

A team not listed which I would be extremely interested in is Washington. I've mentioned this before, but I think they're going to undergo a complete transformation over the next few years because of this new owner. He did a great job with the Capitals and I think he'll do the same with the Wizards. Any GM will want to be a part of that.

DerekRE_3
06-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Of the teams listed I would pick the Thunder. Of the lot I think they're the most soundly run, they have the best combination of an owner who is willing to spend but who won't force you to make panic signs/trades. Those kind of things can destroy a GM's reputation.

A team not listed which I would be extremely interested in is Washington. I've mentioned this before, but I think they're going to undergo a complete transformation over the next few years because of this new owner. He did a great job with the Capitals and I think he'll do the same with the Wizards. Any GM will want to be a part of that.

That would change if you were the GM though. :p

JasonJohnHorn
06-04-2011, 12:07 AM
I'd rather take over the Raptors or the Pistons. Those are my teams and I wouldnt want to be invovled with any other teams if I had the choice, though if their taking applications I'd take any team in the league! Spurs and Portland would be at the top of my list though.

hgtiger32
06-04-2011, 12:10 AM

Rubio
_____
Wesley Matthews
Kevin Love
_____

how the hell did the wolves end up with wesley matthews? you mean wes johnson?

Wilson
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
That would change if you were the GM though. :p

Yeah that's probably right, my credentials in this area aren't extensive :p

But I think the ownership is the most stable.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Oklahoma City Thunder

They have a superstar (not yet) in the making in Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook who is good but won't work with KD if he id gonna hog the ball, a potential star in James Harden who truly does have potential to be a flat out STAR in this league, young power forward in Serge Ibaka, a solid backup PG in Eric Maynor and a very good defensive PF in Nick Collison.

If I were OKC, I would try to trade Westbrook, Ibaka (possibly) and picks/another young player for Chris Paul.

ChiSox219
06-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Clippers
Thunder
Kings
Grizzlies
Twolves

jim51990
06-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Probably alone on this but I'll take the clippers over the thunder

Clippersfan86
06-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Probably alone on this but I'll take the clippers over the thunder

Clippers have more range of success and failure. They definitely have the pieces to surpass OKC. If history repeats itself they can be much worse than OKC though. We know OKC is going to be contenders for a while. The Clippers will either underachieve or be serious contenders. Here's why the Clippers have more potential roster wise.

1. Blake Griffin no question has more potential than Durant or Westbrook and already impacts games more than Durant.

2. Clippers have the size to bang with any team in the post, while OKC lacks depth when it comes to bigs. Perkins, Collison and Ibaka will not cut it vs very big teams consistently. All 3 players are 6'10. Clippers have 2 7 footers in Kaman and DJ, Blake who's a big boy.. and a couple bench bigs like Diogu and Rhino who weigh 270+.

3. Clippers have the elusive star power inside/out combo with Eric Gordon/Blake Griffin. OKC is built around 2 wing players which will not get the job done long term. In general the Clippers are deeper and have their talent spread more evenly over 5 positions. Clippers roster is more similar to Memphis than OKC and we saw Memphis an 8 seed in the playoffs for first time in 3 or 4 seasons push OKC to 7 games. Can't depend on outside scoring and fastbreaks so much.