PDA

View Full Version : Why Are The Mavs Being Written Off?

WriterCyril
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
The general media has been pretty harsh grading the Mavericks game 1 performance in these NBA Finals, and most have even gone as far as saying they have Ďno shotí anymore because of that performance.

I guess I was watching a different game!

I donít care what the stats say, percentage wise, about the chances of them winning the NBA Finals after losing game 1.

I donít care that the opposition, the Miami Heat, has 2 of the 5 best players in the game today, and 3 of the top 20 players.

I really donít care that the Mavericks best player, Dirk Nowitzki, has to wear a splint on his non shooting hand (canít emphasize NON enough).

This doesnít mean the Mavericks have Ďno shotí.

To prove this, lets analyze what happened in game number 1 of what should be a long competitive series.

The biggest thing I keep hearing is that the Mavericks were Ďoutplayedí defensively by the Heat. What? Sure, the Mavs were held to 37.3% shooting, but did anyone care to look at what the Heat shot? They shot 38.8%, a whole 1.5% better than the Mavs. And yes, LeBron did shoot 56% from the field, but no one else on the Heat even shot over 50%. The Mavericks definitely held their own defensively against the Heat, and this will be a recurring theme throughout the series.

Knowing that the Mavs played defensively just as well as the Heat, how did they lose by 8? The answer is simple, the Heat shot 80 times compared to the Mavs 67, and this is because of the amount of offensive boards the Heat were able to get. They out rebounded the Mavs on the offensive end 16-6 during game one, and when you give up that many second chance opportunities, your team has be be significantly better on defense to win.

The Heat bench definitely outplayed the Mavericks during game 1 as well, but that doesnít mean this will happen every game. The Mavs bench was one of the best in the league statistically throughout the whole season. Up to this point, including regular season and playoffs, they are averaging 40.2 ppg. This is in comparison to the Heatís paltry 21.4 ppg, which is a clear 3 ppg less then the second worse team (Golden State). Iím not saying the Heat bench canít get it done, they clearly proved this in game 1, but yearlong stats donít lie about who has the better bench.

One of the keys to the Mavs success this postseason has also been the 3 point shot. They have sharpshooters Terry, Stojakovic, and even Nowitzki who can drain 3 point shots, and rarely have off nights. Terry and Nowitzki did well, shooting 4-9 from 3 point range, but Stojakovic shot 0-3. I know that no one can be on every night, but youíre telling me those shots he took, all wide open, will be missed every time again tonight? As long as they are open again, I have a feeling he will hit some of them.

In the same token the Mavs will hit some 3 pointers because they are so good at it, the Heatís LeBron James wonít shoot 4-5 from downtown every game. He especially wonít hit that fade away 3 he took at the end of the third quarter every single time. Iím not LeBron hating, his 3 ball has vastly improved this postseason, but we all know he wonít hit those all the time.

The biggest reason no one should write the Mavs out is the fact that the game was close the entire time! This game wasnít a runaway win, a blowout, or a stomping. No, this is just people knowing that the Heat have LeBron, Wade, and Bosh on their team and thinking Ďhow can the Mavs beat that?í Iíll tell you how they might still be able to win, with good teamwork and heart. I might be old fashioned, but I still think that can beat Talent any day.

What do you think?

Cyril Dunham is a sports writer, find his work at mysportsanalysis.com

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Given our defense and attack in the fourth quarter, keeping it close is not a good victory strategy. You need a 15pt lead closing the 3rd.

NYKnickFanatic
06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I just cant see the Mavs winning it all this year. I wouldnt mind them too, cuz I would love to see JKidd get a ring, but I just dont see it happening. LeBron and Wade together is just unstoppable. I would be shocked if the Mavs win it all.

TheHighLife
06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
If the Heat played their bench like the Mavs do they'd be screwed. Hard.

mikealike305
06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
who said they have "no shot"?

btw i stoped reading at that

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm writing them off... because they are an inferior team. I thought Miami would struggle against the Mav's size, clearly I was mistaken.

SteveNash
06-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Because the Heat didn't even look like they were trying in the game. They pretty much toyed with the Mavs, even in the 4th the Heat weren't trying that hard.

WriterCyril
06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Because the Heat didn't even look like they were trying in the game. They pretty much toyed with the Mavs, even in the 4th the Heat weren't trying that hard.

How can you say a team in the NBA Finals wasnt trying hard? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, so the heat wanted to only win by 8? Youre saying they couldve won by more if they TRIED HARDER?

THEY SHOT 38%! Their shooting was just as awful as the Mavs

PhillyFaninLA
06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
The Mavs history is them being almost good enough. During Dirk's career they have consistently been almost good enough. Playing a better team, with better defense, better starts, and Dirk with a finger that will effect his ball handling, no so much his shooting, as per his own comments it just doesn't look good.

I think the Mavs will win a game or 2 though.

redsox0717
06-02-2011, 05:05 PM
This is what happens every series. Whoever wins game 1 is proclaimed the complete favorite, but then if the other team wins game 2, then they're the favorite, especially if they're the road team because they won back home court. people's opinions in general are so fickle based on 1 game

SteveNash
06-02-2011, 05:13 PM
How can you say a team in the NBA Finals wasnt trying hard? Thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard, so the heat wanted to only win by 8? Youre saying they couldve won by more if they TRIED HARDER?

Miami got blown out by 20 against the Bulls, then Miami established their dominance winning 4 straight. Miami knows they're the much better team and that they can save themselves for when it matters. It might burn them 1 time, 2 at most.

MrfadeawayJB
06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
These are the same media people who wrote off the heat in 2006. Dont put too much stock in it. Although the miami heat do look pretty invincable right now

Lakers + Giants
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, maybe it's because they are down 1-0 in the finals, just maybe. . . . If the heat were down same thing would be said about them.

marvILLous
06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
LOL mavs don't have that much of a chance! quote it! 4-1 probably, 4-2 at best

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
If it's any consolation, my stomach is usually floating somewhere above my head in anxiety in all these games we're down at the half and trade body blows in the 3rd. When the game is going on, the opponent is respected.

John Walls Era
06-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Because the Heat are better. No doubt Mavs have chances to steal some games, but no one should bet on them if you're not getting good odds.

ldawg
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Miami got blown out by 20 against the Bulls, then Miami established their dominance winning 4 straight. Miami knows they're the much better team and that they can save themselves for when it matters. It might burn them 1 time, 2 at most.iF THEY ARE SO GREAT WHY IS THE REFS KEEP HELPING THEM?

ldawg
06-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Mavs will win tonight

shep33
06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Because they're not as good at the game of basketball as the Miami Heat... not a Heat fan either. I'd be surprised if the Mavs extend this series past 5 games

KingPosey
06-02-2011, 06:38 PM

ya, and they STILL won by 8. I dont know how that helps your argument.

But like others have said, who is saying they have no chance?

KingPosey
06-02-2011, 06:47 PM
iF THEY ARE SO GREAT WHY IS THE REFS KEEP HELPING THEM?

ya really, why is the refs keep helping them?

210Don
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
i said heat in 6 after game one maybe 5 hopefully

Patriots81
06-02-2011, 07:00 PM
everybody is goin to be doubtin the mavs... because the "heat r the favorite to win it"...but they will learn from their mistakes...mavs bench wasnt very productive...defensive rebounds were killin them...they just overall didnt execute well...they have wut it takes to beat Miami...they were leadin the heat all the way up to mid 3rd qtr...but its just a matter of closin out the game and maintainin the lead

Patriots81
06-02-2011, 07:01 PM
i said heat in 6 after game one maybe 5 hopefully

Mavs in 6 bro

210Don
06-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Mavs in 6 bro

they gotta win 4 of next 5....realistic? i think not

LA_Raiders
06-02-2011, 07:27 PM
I was just thinking the same. The Heat and LeBrick are all over BSPN, Im tired of it.

I feel sory for Wade. he just lost "his" team to CryBron.

godolphins
06-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Who's riding them off? :facepalm:

Patriots81
06-05-2011, 01:44 PM
they gotta win 4 of next 5....realistic? i think not

its possible...the next 3 games r at mavs arena...so Im thinkin they will pull of 2 at home then miami wins one and finish them off at Miami...kinda like wut Miami did back in 06

Raph12
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Short answer... Defense.

ldawg
06-05-2011, 05:46 PM
This is a pivotal game lets see if Miami get help from the ref tonight. I bet they will.