PDA

View Full Version : Who else in the East has potential to be legit title contenders next season?

JordansBulls
06-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Who else in the East has potential to be legit title contenders next season?

This year it was Miami, Chicago as the top with Boston as the 3rd. Can NYK be that new team next year now that Amare and Melo can play together this summer along with Billups?

ManRam
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Knicks have an outside chance. I think Melo + Amare is slightly inferior to LeBron + Bosh, let alone adding Wade to the equation...mainly because of defensive purposes. I don't think they can make the jump this off-season, but who knows?

Orlando is a piece (consistent scorer) away from being a lot better, but I'm not sure they can really give Miami a run for their money.

I don't think any other team can make the jump (besides Chicago, obviously). I think Boston probably is done contending with the likes of the Heat barring a huge transaction.

SteBO
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
NY and CHI can make the jumps, but outside of them I don't see anyone else. Maybe the Magic if they can get a Chris Paul, and another solid scoring threat in the backcourt.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I feel bad for ATL they are going to be the same team they were 3 years ago in 3 years, they will always make the playoffs and have talent but their window is only the 2nd round. They need to make some trades, they have nice pieces.

3Blueforyou
06-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Imo, big moves have to be made for any other team to enter the fold as contenders. I don't think the magic have the pieces to get paul without having the rest of their team look much the the knicks post trade. They have two guys to build around and will be good real soon, so maybe the knicks? I think any other teams than the bulls/heat contending are at least 2 seasons away.

oh ya i forgot Raptors for sure yaaaa! :hi5:

ManRam
06-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I feel bad for ATL they are going to be the same team they were 3 years ago in 3 years, they will always make the playoffs and have talent but their window is only the 2nd round. They need to make some trades, they have nice pieces.

This is how I feel/have felt about them for a little while now. I just can't see them getting over the hump with what they have/their cap situation.

Mr Haha
06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Don't sleep on Philly.

210Don
06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
man i was just watching a special on d12 on outside the lines.i wish he had a great 2 guard the magic need a big time trade.

Jetsguy
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I dont think anyone is really going to be able to compete with the Heat because the most likely candidates Chicago and NY are severely limited by the cap and the unknown CBA.

If you envision best case scenarios for Chicago and NY:

NY - they somehow manage to get CP3 either via trade or FA

They have:

CP3
???
Melo
Stat
???

I think the only other person they would have on the books is Douglas, who would definately be gone if a trade were to happen.

They would be close depending on who they could get to come for min deals, there is a chance the new CBA totally takes this chance out of the water.

Chicago:

I dont know but believe they may be worse off cap wise than the Knicks (who are good but not 3rd max player good necessarily).

If they can maybe swing one of Boozer, Asik, Gibson, Noah they can get a big time 2 and maybe a backup PG?

IDK I am not sure any of those beats Lebron/Wade/Bosh and co until Wade starts his decline maybe in like 4 or 5 years?

koreancabbage
06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
only Chicago really. we'll see what Boston is going to do in the offseason in terms of retooling and what Orlando can do with the huge contracts (probably nothing)

Cano4prez
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Who else in the East has potential to be legit title contenders next season?

This year it was Miami, Chicago as the top with Boston as the 3rd. Can NYK be that new team next year now that Amare and Melo can play together this summer along with Billups?

Miami and Chicago. NYK has 2 overrated stars who play no defense, they have no bench, and they can't rebound, they have no chance

TheHighLife
06-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Bulls, Celtics. Maybe the Cavs, depending on who they draft.

jockrider
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Toronto.

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Miami and Chicago. NYK has 2 overrated stars who play no defense, they have no bench, and they can't rebound, they have no chance

They have a coach that doesn't play D. Stat and Melo I think can still be saved on that front.

TheHighLife
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM

The Heat dont have a bench either.

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM

Oh that poor no.1 pick who gets stuck being massah dan gilbert's boy for 7 years.

Jetsguy
06-02-2011, 03:31 PM

He is talking about in the future though not now. How do you know they wont get some defensive help, strong rebounders and fill out a serviceable bench?

And Melo does play some D that gets blown out of proportion on PSD. He is not Lebron but he is not as bad as he is made out to be.

KnicksR4Real
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Knicks

KnicksR4Real
06-02-2011, 03:33 PM

Your the biggest Knicks hater. It's not just this, you hate them. Stop being biased.

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Your the biggest Knicks hater. It's not just this, you hate them. Stop being biased.

You need a new coach dude. Mikey will never get it done.

John Walls Era
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Bulls for sure. Maybe Knicks, anytime you have to good player you can contend for a championship. I feel the Magic could be in the mix for sure if they get CP3 or another legit allstar.

sixer04fan
06-02-2011, 03:47 PM
The Sixers will win the Atlantic, take that to the bank

ManRam
06-02-2011, 03:51 PM

The Cavs aren't going to be able to challenge the Heat next year...not in a million years, regardless of who they take.

Maybe 3-4 years down the road if a lot of things go right, but not any time soon.

Sixerlover
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Next season? No one. Actually maybe Chicago can compete with the Heat if they get a solid #2 option. But the scary part about Miami is that they'll be getting a competent center this off season as well, thus making them better too. Boston is done more than likely, Orlando can't get any better via trade because of the bad contracts and lack of young talent, NY doesn't have enough value to attract a CP3 so they'll still won't be ready etc etc. Miami will more than likely be in the same spot next year.

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Next season? No one. Actually maybe Chicago can compete with the Heat if they get a solid #2 option. But the scary part about Miami is that they'll be getting a competent center this off season as well, thus making them better too. Boston is done more than likely, Orlando can't get any better via trade because of the bad contracts and lack of young talent, NY doesn't have enough value to attract a CP3 so they'll still won't be ready etc etc. Miami will more than likely be in the same spot next year.

Our Center situation is fine. The Warden is legit.

Maybe get rid of bibby and move mario to starting, or get a better pg. Center is fine.

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 03:56 PM
We should get Nash on minimum and carry him to a title lol

the_jon
06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Raptors

mikealike305
06-02-2011, 04:00 PM
^ and dirk and maybe jkidd

see what i did there? :)

Cano4prez
06-02-2011, 04:02 PM

It's better than the Knicks bench, and having a top 3 defense along with two top 3 players can hide the minor faults in my team.

I don't remember the last time I even mentioned the Knicks..

DoMeFavors
06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Nash should go to Miami or Toronto to end his career.

Nash is friends with the Miami big 3 and he deserves a ring, he would make everyone on that team look even better and pick and roll with Bosh. Plus he would shoot the 3 wide open from a kick out of LeBron or Wade.
Toronto he should go to end his career in Canada.

ryang
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
The HEAT... Really no one else besides the bulls

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quite the worthless hater aren't you?

Haslem, Miller, and Supah Mario must be ghosts then.

And we got J.J. coming back tonight. Holding it down for the home town.

DoMeFavors
06-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Actually Heat bench is way better than
Anthony Carter, Bill Walker, Shawne Williams, Jeffries, Sheldon Williams
That is a terrible bench

Da Knicks
06-02-2011, 04:20 PM
That is a terrible bench

yeah is a terrible bench, its almost as bad as the nets starters.:D

DoMeFavors
06-02-2011, 04:22 PM
yeah is a terrible bench, its almost as bad as the nets starters.:D

Yeah a top 2 pg and a great skill C, is a terrible starting line up.

SteveNash
06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Heat, Celtics, Knicks.

mttwlsn16
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Yeah a top 2 pg and a great skill C, is a terrible starting line up.

brook lopez is a joke. girl type softness, hence the name brook

knickfan33
06-02-2011, 04:44 PM
knicks...depending on who they get in Draft/FA..... or if they manage to get paul during the season

they need some defensive precense in the paint... theres a pretty descent amount of defensive centers in FA this year... i also think they need a better PG... mike D's system and billups arent a fit...knicks should have held on to felton and let chauncey stay in denver.

SeoulBeatz
06-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I see the Bulls, Knicks, and Atlanta being serious title contenders next year (but they will all need to make improvements in the offseason).

I see Orlando dropping off a bit too be honest.

eugene
06-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Nash in Miami is not even fair...

Nash should go to Miami or Toronto to end his career.

Nash is friends with the Miami big 3 and he deserves a ring, he would make everyone on that team look even better and pick and roll with Bosh. Plus he would shoot the 3 wide open from a kick out of LeBron or Wade.
Toronto he should go to end his career in Canada.

eugene
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
why everobody is talking about knicks getting paul??? do they have any assets to get him? or they believe it's enough to have "New York" written on your t-shirt??

SoxBearsBulls!
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Nash in Miami is not even fair...

This

John Walls Era
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Nash going to Miami would be great. I wonder if he would be hated?

DeyAce
06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
If Chicago can get DRose some help we'll be there

DoMeFavors
06-02-2011, 04:55 PM
brook lopez is a joke. girl type softness, hence the name brook

Gasol is soft doesnt mean he isnt good

ATX
06-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't see the Celts being a big threat to win the East next season. Age is becoming a concerning factor there. New York needs a defense. Even if they add a few more pieces, I just can't see it. I can see them winning 50 games, but defense wins a 7 game series. There are some good young up and coming teams in Philly and Indiana, but they are a few seasons away from being anything "Legit". Orlando is good, but are handcuffed by Arenas' contract. It will be hard for them to improve that roster. I hope they are able to resign Howard. The only team I can honestly make an argument for is Chicago. Add a respectable SG, and with the continued growth and development of Rose and Noah, they become "Legit title contenders". They have a superstar, plus the defensive dedication to grind out a series win. They will have to find a way to add another player who can shoulder the scoring burden first. However, I really can't see any of these teams knocking out Miami next year though, as they too will improve.

mdm692
06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Nash going to Miami would be great. I wonder if he would be hated?

not really him and hill deserve it they should go to nyk if the suns blow it up this year

Da Knicks
06-02-2011, 05:06 PM
not really him and hill deserve it they should go to nyk if the suns blow it up this year

your words are golden:)

Jaji
06-02-2011, 05:08 PM

The Heat are up 1-0 in the Finals. I think that qualifies them as contenders. Their bench is as deep as they need it to be.

mdm692
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
your words are golden:)

thx but really nash/stat pnr was the fiercest weve seen since stockton/nash, reality is nash is still playing all star bball probably a notch or two from being superstar, you add melo on the wing along with hill for defense i can see a really strong team championship caliber:cry::cry::cry: why sarver why!!!!!!

Im sorry i get sentimental sometimes thinking of our cheap idiotic owner

Jaji
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
There really is no one in the East who can mess with Heat right now. The Bulls need a 2nd guy who can create his own shot, preferably at the 2 position. Then they stand more a chance than they did this year. The Knicks need a lot to be considered. Their Big 3 is less impressive on offense than Miami and on defense they are a complete joke. Couple that with no one else and you have a classic pretender. The Celtics are done and the Hawks just aren't that caliber. It will be interesting to see what Orlando does. They seem to completely reshape their roster every year so we'll have to see what the 2011-2012 version looks like. My guess is not that great because they have regressed every year since KG got hurt and they got into the Finals.

Crackadalic
06-02-2011, 05:13 PM
We don't even have capspace this summer to really do anything so IDK how we can just become title contenders overnight unless we fire mike and start playing defense. 2012 we do have capspace for a star or multiple starters to fill the roster

Chicago is gonna be better if they get a legit sg that can shoot the lights out. D-rose is only gonna get better

If Orlando can make a big trade to get a legit 2nd star they also have a shot.

Nobody else really are title contenders to me next season

Heater4life
06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
New York can contend with some interior help and some time to learn how to play together. Orlando im 50-50 on, even if they get that seond piece, they went from a defensive team with size to a team that doesnt have that grit anymore. Chicago will be there, Boston.

Atownballa5
06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
miami and chicago. Nyk has 2 overrated stars who play no defense, they have no bench, and they can't rebound, they have no chance

this

Arch Stanton
06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Oh that poor no.1 pick who gets stuck being massah dan gilbert's boy for 7 years.

I think Gilberts learned his lesson from LeQuit. And if you're referring to basketball players as slaves you've been watching too much Spike Lee and ESPN. I'll be a slave for that money!

Arch Stanton
06-02-2011, 05:28 PM
The Cavs aren't going to be able to challenge the Heat next year...not in a million years, regardless of who they take.

Maybe 3-4 years down the road if a lot of things go right, but not any time soon.

Yeah I agree. There probably AT LEAST 5 years away if not more.

Jaji
06-02-2011, 05:31 PM

That would make a great 1 vs 8 matchup. Go Cavs!

FadeAwayLikeMJ
06-02-2011, 05:35 PM
lotta baiting in here huh...

RCarlson85
06-02-2011, 05:40 PM

That's an awesome comeback seeing as how the Heat are in the finals and all.

Avenged
06-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Get Dwight a legitimate #2 and the answer should be Orlando.

NYMetropolitans
06-02-2011, 05:45 PM
The Knicks will still be a few role players away from being championship contenders. I expect them to make it the 2nd round this year and it'd be a nice surprise to see them make it the ECF. In terms of legit EC contenders I leave that to the Heat and the Bulls with the Magic being my surprise pick.

Minimal
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Not title contender, but I really think Raptors are gonna make a huge jump next season.

KDM1986
06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
These 3 will definitly contend next year.
1.Miami
2.Chicago
3.Boston

These 3 could contend if they make a good move or two
4.Orlando
5.New York
6.Atlanta

These 3 are on the right path but are a few years away
7.Philidelphia
8.Indiana
9.Milwaukee

Bravo95
06-02-2011, 06:00 PM
The Hawks were two wins away from the ECF, and if Jeff Teague is legit, it could be a huge boost because they wasted a lot of games relying on Bibby slowing down (and Hinrich would be better off as a solid backup pg). But if the front office doesn't make a major deal, they have to find a shooter and decent big for cheap which won't be easy.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Same top four in the conference this year and the Knicks. If there is a lockout shortened season, who do you think can be legit contenders in the East? That should also be considered.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Also to the people saying Nash to the Heat, unless if they are trading Bosh, who else can they trade?

ShiroRX
06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Also to the people saying Nash to the Heat, unless if they are trading Bosh, who else can they trade?

It was a joke, Nash ain't coming hurr.

Jaji
06-02-2011, 06:15 PM

The Heat can still get Nash if he is bought out and wants to chase rings.

heyman321
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Not title contender, but I really think Raptors are gonna make a huge jump next season.

Not unless they trade Bargnani and give Ed Davis some real playing time.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
06-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Lol. :rolleyes:

Jaji
06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
The Hawks were two wins away from the ECF, and if Jeff Teague is legit, it could be a huge boost because they wasted a lot of games relying on Bibby slowing down (and Hinrich would be better off as a solid backup pg). But if the front office doesn't make a major deal, they have to find a shooter and decent big for cheap which won't be easy.

2 wins away from the ECF means they were 10 wins away from a title. Considering they only won 6, they aren't even halfway there. Mathematically speaking.

Slimsim
06-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I never until he was traded to NY see so many people say melo is overrated or can't play D. I don't even think Nuggets fans complained about him being such a bad defender while he was a nugget.

Back tot the topic Chicago will probably be the new era cavs unless boozer stop disappearing in the playoffs Deng become a consistent scorer and Noah learn a post move or 2 form Hakeem

Orlando GOing to deal with a lot of distractions next season every lost the media is going to ask Dwight about his future with Orlando. Anything howard say would be milked and over exaggerated until Howard is frustrated. like melo i expect a drop in his performance

My knicks have a lot of work to do starting with who they draft at #17 Selby cough. We have the star power just need the role players and coach who knows Pat Riley's defense van gundy cough. Cp3 wouldn't hurt either but a lot of things have to go right and Contracts might have to be reconstructed to make it all work

Hawks I think these guys are just happy making it to the second round. No one on that team is hungry for greatness Joe is getting older and a lot of ??? with players and contracts

Heats should make it to the ECF finals Every years as long as they have 2/3 of their stars healthy

LA_Raiders
06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
NY, Orl or Atl if somehow they can get either CP3 or DWill

B'sCeltsPatsSox
06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
The Heat can still get Nash if he is bought out and wants to chase rings.

Nash won't get bought out ever.

wjmoffatt
06-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I know people will laugh when i say this, but the Pacers! If Hibbert continues to grow the way he did and Collison continues to develop there could be something brewing in Indy.

macc
06-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't really see a team contending with Miami for a while. Chicago needs another great peremeter player to contend with them, same with Orlando. New York needs a few players yet to contend with them, esp defensive stoppers since they don't have any right now. You can never sleep on Boston but they are now a player away or two.

Bottom line it's tough to compete with a super team. A year ago, all the teams above minus New york would be legit contenders going into next year, but not in the "superteam" era. I hate to say it but I can really see this trend picking up and other teams doing the same thing.

With the teams now. Unless you're a Heat fan, you can pretty much bet on the best your team can do is reach 2nd place. I really don't see anyone beating Miami for a long time. Even if other teams form these "superteams" they still won't have Lebron (best player in the league) and D Wade (top 3 player in the league) in their tandom.

The only "superteam" I could see competing with them is a tandom of Howard/Cp3/Durrant type team, which is very unlikely to happen.

JordansBulls
06-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't really see a team contending with Miami for a while.

People thought the same thing with LA out West.

NYK4L
06-04-2011, 05:57 PM
You need a new coach dude. Mikey will never get it done.

I don't think anybody is arguing that, we know that better than anyone :eyebrow:

NYK4L
06-04-2011, 06:06 PM
That is a terrible bench

who the nets got on their bench?

AsikandDestroy
06-05-2011, 01:07 PM
If the Knicks get rid of D'Antoni and get a coach who preaches defense and actually gets Anthony to play some, along with a center better than Turiaf (best cheerleader ever apart from Scalabrine) then I could see this team doing things, they are always gunna get their points, whoever is coaching them. If there is a season next year that is!

Kashmir13579
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Atlanta needs to move Josh Smith and look for a decent package. They have been - like - 1 move away forever.

JasonJohnHorn
06-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Miami, Chi-town and Boston will remain near the top of the conference, and Orldano, who is really only short a decent PF rotation to contend, may be able to get the pieces together to do so. Atlanta has the potential to contend as well, but I think these are all obvious choices.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Philly and Indy will see marked improvement this season (if this season is actually played) and could potentially be legit title contenders!

I also expect the Cavs to push for a playoff spot in a low seed should they play their cards right and stay healthy.

Next season, I beleive the east is going to be deeper than it has been since Jordan was playing. Hence it is tough to really make a call here.

Sadds The Gr8
06-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Toronto.

this.