PDA

View Full Version : How good would have the Magic's Big 3 of McGrady, Duncan and Grant Hill have been?

NYSpirit1
06-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Many people forget, but Tim Duncan almost signed with the Orlando Magic in the summer of 2000 to team with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/10/AR2007061001393.html

Grant Hill was injured for much of his Magic career, but did have one All-Star year and even won Comeback Player of the Year. This Big 3 truly would have set the bar for the Heat Big 3. Even with Hill injured, McGrady and Duncan would have been a Kobe-Shaq combination of the East. Hill coming back healthy would have put them over the top as champions.

I think this Big 3 would have taken both of the Lakers titles in 2001 and 2002 and probably won 4 or 5 together. It's hard to call Duncan's decision stupid to not sign with the Magic, but he already won one title with the Spurs and I think he would have won 1 or 2 more with the Magic than he did with the Spurs.

DeyAce
06-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Another what if thread

GREATNESS ONE
06-02-2011, 02:42 AM
Noone Stops Shaq. Period. But if they stayed healthy no doubt it would've equaled multiple titles.

TheHighLife
06-02-2011, 03:14 AM
They would have been good. But it didn't happen. Oh well

hgtiger32
06-02-2011, 03:30 AM
im pretty sure mcgrady happend because tim duncan stayed in san antonio. could be wrong tho

Raph12
06-02-2011, 03:57 AM
If all three were at full health, multiple rings easily...

John Walls Era
06-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Tim Duncan in his prime + avg players = Contender.

Tim Duncan + Hill + Tmac would've won championships. But I do believe Hill was injured way too much during his Magic days.

Bruno
06-02-2011, 04:39 AM
They would have been great in 2000.

In 2001 Grant Hill played four games. He played 14 games in 2002, 29 games in 2003, didn't play at all in 2004.

They could have put something together in 2005, a year when the Spurs won the title. Hill missed 61 games in 2006, McGrady missed 35. I'd say the incarnation with Duncan/McGrady without Hill could have competed depending on their supporting cast (the Lakers had a great veteran bench to support Shaq & Kobe).

In all, that what-if trio had good potential to win the 2000 and 2005 championships. Even had they come together, they would have been devastated by injury year in, and year out. I think Duncan made the right decision, and has more rings to show for it. Duncan going to ORL would have changed the entire landscape of the NBA.

jezzyman05
06-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Many people forget, but Tim Duncan almost signed with the Orlando Magic in the summer of 2000 to team with Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/10/AR2007061001393.html

Grant Hill was injured for much of his Magic career, but did have one All-Star year and even won Comeback Player of the Year. This Big 3 truly would have set the bar for the Heat Big 3. Even with Hill injured, McGrady and Duncan would have been a Kobe-Shaq combination of the East. Hill coming back healthy would have put them over the top as champions.

I think this Big 3 would have taken both of the Lakers titles in 2001 and 2002 and probably won 4 or 5 together. It's hard to call Duncan's decision stupid to not sign with the Magic, but he already won one title with the Spurs and I think he would have won 1 or 2 more with the Magic than he did with the Spurs.

Why would this even be a question......Duncan won 4 titles with the spurs...that's not a stupid decision. Winning 4 rings is amazing man, shoot 80% of the league will never win one much less 4.

Here's a stupid ddecision....how about turning down the Spurs (back in 2003) but you listen to your wife (who you divorces shortly later becuase she was an idiot) and re-signed with a team you know is never going to win. Give up on who this player is......Jason Kidd! he later goes on the record and states that this decision is one of the ones he regrets the most.

And what's to say that McGrady and Duncan would have dominated, your talking about a Doc Rivers team, a young Doc rivers the one that couldn't coach to save his life, people forget so quickly about how horrible of a coach Doc was until the arrival of the Big 3.

And's whats this almost signing with the Magic, he didn't amost sign anywhere he visited Orlando, Boston, and Chicago all in three days, with all teams offering him deals, however once he came back to San Antonio he signed the extension the next day.

Tim Duncan knew that he could win at least 1 more with Robinson and was very excited about that, not to mention the fact the SBC Center (now ATT Center) was being built and was in large part because of him.
I don't know what sources you read but unless they involve them knowing Tim Duncan personally (like me) they hold no weight, Tim's had it made in SA since his arrivals playing a big part in key free agents that he knew would help him, not to mention the fact that he was close with David Robinson, his son-father relationship with Coach Pop, and the fact that he just met his wife Amy (they were dating at the time) and she hated Orlando, can a mod please close this thread...

JordansBulls
06-02-2011, 08:42 AM
They would have been pretty darn good. I thought if this trio started the same time as the Lebron/Wade/Bosh trio it would have been nasty.

Chronz
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
And what's to say that McGrady and Duncan would have dominated, your talking about a Doc Rivers team, a young Doc rivers the one that couldn't coach to save his life, people forget so quickly about how horrible of a coach Doc was until the arrival of the Big 3.
Spot on about Duncan never really being that close to leaving but explain how a COY winner BEFORE ever landing in Boston is a bad coach. He was a brilliant offensive coach, the record he got out of Tmac and crap is impressive, the year prior before Mac got there and he had a **** load of contract year role players and went .500, to this day Ive never seen a lesser talented team crack .500.

That has to say something about Doc.

tr3ymill3r
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Does TMac and Hill still get hurt in this 10 year hypothetical question?

sep11ie
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Noone Stops Shaq. Period. But if they stayed healthy no doubt it would've equaled multiple titles.

1. Pretty sure Hakeem did.

2. Why was this thread made?

marlinsfan24
06-02-2011, 11:48 AM
They would have been great in 2000.

In 2001 Grant Hill played four games. He played 14 games in 2002, 29 games in 2003, didn't play at all in 2004.

They could have put something together in 2005, a year when the Spurs won the title. Hill missed 61 games in 2006, McGrady missed 35. I'd say the incarnation with Duncan/McGrady without Hill could have competed depending on their supporting cast (the Lakers had a great veteran bench to support Shaq & Kobe).

In all, that what-if trio had good potential to win the 2000 and 2005 championships. Even had they come together, they would have been devastated by injury year in, and year out. I think Duncan made the right decision, and has more rings to show for it. Duncan going to ORL would have changed the entire landscape of the NBA.

This is why what if scenarios are difficult, would have Grant Hill and T-Mac been more healthy with less pressure? We will never know

KingPosey
06-02-2011, 11:55 AM
^
LOL REMEMBER when Shaq and Hakeem were gonna play one on one on pay perview?

jezzyman05
06-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Spot on about Duncan never really being that close to leaving but explain how a COY winner BEFORE ever landing in Boston is a bad coach. He was a brilliant offensive coach, the record he got out of Tmac and crap is impressive, the year prior before Mac got there and he had a **** load of contract year role players and went .500, to this day Ive never seen a lesser talented team crack .500.

That has to say something about Doc.

Point noted about Doc Rivers never thought of it like that

jezzyman05
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
^
LOL REMEMBER when Shaq and Hakeem were gonna play one on one on pay perview?

OMG I REMEMBER THAT! :laugh:

mike_noodles
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM
im pretty sure mcgrady happend because tim duncan stayed in san antonio. could be wrong tho

This.

If I'm not mistaken the billboard was a shot of Duncan and Hill with some type of "imagine" or something written on it. McGrady was plan B.

ldawg
06-02-2011, 04:23 PM
they would have been could have been great but i rather they do that gang up thing after passing 30. Two prime all-stars with a good supporting cast.

Joshtd1
06-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Duncan was actually pretty close to leaving, I rememer him saying in an article. Anyway as good as Manu/TP are, TD never played with a guy of caliber like T-Mac or Hill in their primes. Yes you can say he had Roinson, but he was at the end of his career.

I think if they would have been all together they would have won titles. Duncan/T-Mac would have rivaled Shaq/Kobe...and throw in a prime Hill who was an absolute beast? Damn.

Thank God TD stayed here. Shame Kidd didn't come here, seeing him and Manu playing together would have been awesome.

mgsports
06-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Their still a chance to get Duncan to come to Magic before he retires.