PDA

View Full Version : Lakers To Retire Shaqs Jersey

assisi805
06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6617095

Well Deserved 8 solid years and 3 ships.

Anyone else think they announced it so soon to rub in to the celtics that he was actually a factor for them. :)

ShiroRX
06-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Anyone else think they announced it so soon to rub in to the celtics that he was actually a factor for them. :)

It's difficult to imagine extrapolating any information of the sort from that story.

m26555
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
As they should.

SP17
06-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Well deserved..

CB29
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
greatest centre to ever play the game... would've destroyed wilt or kareem in his prime... shaq was the best and i'm very sad to see him go

assisi805
06-01-2011, 09:08 PM
It's difficult to imagine extrapolating any information of the sort from that story.

Guess i should have mentioned that was just a side jab and I didn't draw that from the article.....

FriedTofuz
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
As expected, congrats shaq.

Cano4prez
06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
greatest centre to ever play the game... would've destroyed wilt or kareem in his prime... shaq was the best and i'm very sad to see him go

Kareem>Shaq

But its sad to see him go, retiring his jersey is the right move

Testaverde16
06-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Wow... not wasting any time huh?

Well deserved.

Bruno
06-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Great job by the Laker management getting this done right away.

Purple&Gold24
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
good for him!! :clap:

CB29
06-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Kareem>Shaq

shaq woulda destroyed him...kareen didn't face great centers like shaq did

KnicksR4Real
06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
congrads shaq... well deserved

believeinNYK
06-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Congrats shaq, he was just a flat out beast with the lakers and the best duo I've ever seen play was him and kobe

Bruno
06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Congrats shaq, he was just a flat out beast with the lakers and the best duo I've ever seen play was him and kobe

x2. Wade/LeBron are the only duo who are in position to potentially match them since their split in '04.

Usually takes a three-headed beast to get it done; Bosh is superior to any 3rd player on those Laker championships. But it's still clearly the LeBron/Wade show in Miami.

Master Mind
06-01-2011, 10:26 PM
On that note, build a Kareem Abdul Jabbar sky hook statue...

showtym24
06-01-2011, 10:38 PM
More than deserving. Cant wait to see it raised.

LakersA's49ers
06-01-2011, 10:54 PM
great job shaq well miss you man

still1ballin
06-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Well deserved!

NBA_Starter
06-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Congrats Big Fella :cheers:

kArSoN RyDaH
06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Shot out to the Big Aristotle! Lol.

Jahari Kavi
06-02-2011, 12:37 AM
well deserved.

gatkins11
06-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Very deserved.

RaidersLakers24
06-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Thanks shaq for everything you brought to LA(clearly your best years) you are the man I wish you retired a Laker though but whatever! You were 1 half of the greatest duo ever assembled!!

Lake_Show2416
06-02-2011, 02:24 AM
it would be funny....

Dr. Buss: "We've chose to honor Shaquille O'Neal's illustrious career & his contribution that he has put forth for the Laker franchise by revealing our newest statue at the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. Thank you." :laugh2:

MagicBucsSox
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM

This

GREATNESS ONE
06-02-2011, 02:31 AM
No way Shaq gets a Statue and I hated the way he left. He was the Diesel and I loved him when he was here. Thank you Shaq for everything and being 1/2 of the best 1-2 punch in my opinion of all time.

On a Sidenote

Prime Shaq, Would've destroyed anyone in his path all time. He was in my opinion the most unstoppable force ever.

Bruno
06-02-2011, 04:45 AM
More than deserving. Cant wait to see it raised.

x2. It'll be nice to see Shaq back as a Laker in Staples with his jersey hanging in the rafters. I'll try to go to that game.

John Walls Era
06-02-2011, 04:54 AM
it would be funny....

Dr. Buss: "We've chose to honor Shaquille O'Neal's illustrious career & his contribution that he has put forth for the Laker franchise by revealing our newest statue at the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. Thank you." :laugh2:

Kareem might kill Buss.

MagicBucsSox
06-02-2011, 05:27 AM
I know I'm old now. I watched him get drafted, he'll he's the reason i am a magic fan.

Thx for the memories . Top5 all time

missionh1llpart
06-02-2011, 06:39 AM
I think the main reason they are annoucing this so close to shaq announcing his retirement is because they want him to go in the HOF as a laker. It seems like the clear choice for the team he would go in as, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought about going in with Orlando or Miami, because they are teams he had success with, without Kobe Bryant. If the Lakers fans embrace Shaq when he gets his number retired, which they will, rightfully so, it may make him put his feud with Kobe aside and have him go to the hall with an LA jersey on. Just my opinion.

RaiderLakersA's
06-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I think the main reason they are annoucing this so close to shaq announcing his retirement is because they want him to go in the HOF as a laker. It seems like the clear choice for the team he would go in as, but I wouldn't be surprised if he thought about going in with Orlando or Miami, because they are teams he had success with, without Kobe Bryant. If the Lakers fans embrace Shaq when he gets his number retired, which they will, rightfully so, it may make him put his feud with Kobe aside and have him go to the hall with an LA jersey on. Just my opinion.

You give Kobe too much influence, and Shaq too little credit for what happened.

Perspective: it wasn't Kobe that forced Shaq out. Shaq was the one that went to management and said "Him or me. Choose." Shaq was the one who dragged his contract negotiations with Dr. Buss into the public arena, sparing no opportunity to ridicule and venomously demean the owner of the team. Shaq is the one who rapped about Kobe tasting his hindparts loooooong after the feud between the two was supposed to have been buried during the noteworthy MLK Day game. Up until that point, Kobe had been mum on the subject of a feud, hatchet buried. Shaq did these things. Shaq.

Having said that, obviously the Lakers organization is appreciative of all the good things that Shaq has done for the organization on the court. The fans are already rallying to embrace him, myself included. Retiring his number seems only fitting.

But at the end of the day, I doubt doing so will influence Shaq's decision to enter the HOF as a Laker. Truth be told, it would be imprudent of him to choose any other team except for the Lakers. Everyone knows with which team he had his greatest successes. Everyone. To choose another team wouldn't signify his greatness, but how small and petty he could be for generations to come.

It's his legacy. Them or us. Choose.

smith&wesson
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM

i agree, me too

Kareem>Shaq

its an opinion thing but i agree with cb429, id take shaq in his prime over any other 5 in the history of the league.

It was sad to watch him play those last few games where he could barely run up and down the floor.

Law25
06-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I loved Shaq while he was hear for the most part and i am gratfull for his part in bringing three chips, but you know the world is coming to an end when an Damn Celtic retires his jersey in an Lakers stadium. We will never live this down :facepalm:

REGular
06-02-2011, 03:03 PM
I wish they announced they were building him a statue.

RaiderLakersA's
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
I loved Shaq while he was hear for the most part and i am gratfull for his part in bringing three chips, but you know the world is coming to an end when an Damn Celtic retires his jersey in an Lakers stadium. We will never live this down :facepalm:

I bet in time most will completely forget that he played with the Celtics. Kind of like Rick Fox. :D

Or put another way, before entering a place as great as the Hall of Fame, you should always wipe your feet on the doormat before entering. I'm not saying that you should follow the analogy too closely here, but...well, Shaq's last foot steps were in New England. :) :) :)