PDA

View Full Version : When Should The MVP Be Awarded?

Baller1
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Amazing how public opinion can shift so quickly. During the regular season, most everyone agreed that Derrick Rose was everything an MVP should be. He led his team to the league's best record, carried them through injury and had a number of MVP-ish performances. There was debate but that largely stemmed from the stat-inclined community lashing out at Rose's Win Shares and plus-minus more than anything else.

But now, after Rose's unceremonious five-game exit where he was thoroughly outplayed by LeBron James, some are wondering: Why doesn't the MVP include the postseason?

"It's an idea that should get some traction," David Stern said before Game 1 of the NBA Finals. "I have no particular opinion on it one way or the other. And the worst answer I can give you is the truth -- it's always been done this way. That doesn't mean it's the best way to do it."

Rick Carlisle, who has a player on his team in Dirk Nowitzki that's made quite the postseason statement, said he likes the way the league does it now.

"I agree with the way they do it," he said. "And I believe the media does a good job of kind of keeping our fans informed of the difference between that award and whoever becomes the Finals MVP or the playoff MVP. I like it the way it is."

Obviously, as Carlisle points out, the Finals MVP sort of serves as a playoff MVP of sorts. But there's no doubt that in terms of legacy, a Finals MVP doesn't carry near the weight a regular MVP. Hench why this has been brought up. Some soured on Rose after what seemed to be a lackluster postseason and wanted to annoint someone new. And with the heightened level of play, visibility and importance of playoff games, some feel like a re-vote is in order.

"It's something we would consider if there was any momentum for it amongst the Competition Committee, our ownership," Stern said. "It's something we can always consider for next season."

Stern said that with sort of an air of, "Yeah, we're not really ever going to change it, but I'm answering your question as if we actually might." No sport awards its MVP to include the playoffs. Not even college athletics. It's pretty much commonplace to have the MVP given to the player that was best over the 82 games of the regular season.

If the MVP was given out after the playoffs, it would be natural though to just give it to the Finals MVP. That would be the lasting image in everyone's mind. For instance: Whoever plays better between Dirk and LeBron in this series would be the MVP. Worthy? Of course. But what about in a season like 2009 where LeBron was the obvious MVP, but Kobe Bryant won the Finals MVP? It seems like that would be a mistake to make that switch.

The last MVP to win a title came in 2003 when Tim Duncan took home both trophies. Of the 40 MVP winners, only 13 have won both. Which means I don't think we'd get a "true" MVP each season. In terms of weighing both the regular and postseason, at least.

What if you extrapolate a bit though? Should Coach of the Year be voted on after the season? Sixth Man? I mean, Jason Terry has been a much better sixth man than Lamar Odom was. It's understandable to get wrapped up in the importance of the playoffs and feel like the MVP should include that, but remember, in terms of the grand picture, the playoffs are only about 25 percent of an NBA season. More important? Definitely. But it doesn't tell the whole story.

Like Stern said though, it's worth the debate. When you see MVPs fizzle out like Rose to a better player in LeBron like this year, it makes you wonder.

http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29706911

I don't see it ever happening, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Lol at Stern recognizing Rose didn't deserve the MVP.

ttam68
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
It was pretty obvious Rose wasn't the MVP to begin with. Its a regular season award, it should stay that way.

Hawkeye15
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
It should stay the way it is. Regular season trophy. However they should be more consistent with the voting, but there is no way on earth you can fix that.

JordansBulls
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
One team with one star vs another team with 3 stars that are all top 10 in the league and where the one guy in the frontcourt outplays the other teams entire frontcourt.

SteBO
06-01-2011, 02:30 PM
It should stay the way it is. Regular season trophy. However they should be more consistent with the voting, but there is no way on earth you can fix that.

I may be a homer here, but I was mad as hell when I saw that LeBron was a unanimous All NBA 1st teamer, yet 9 of the same guys left LeBron off the MVP ballet completely. If you aren't gonna take the voting seriously, then don't vote. Period. These guys really make me scratch my head!

pd1dish
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
i like the way they do it. there should be a regular season MVP and then also a Finals MVP.

the Finals MVP is most likely always the guy that carried his team to the finals through the playoffs anyways. if the Heat win, it will no doubt be Lebron as Finals MVP. if the Mavs win, it will no doubt be Dirk, and they would be my #1 and #2 picks for overall playoffs MVP anyways.

ManRam
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
It's fine how it is. Rose deserved the regular season MVP award based on the criteria that voters use. MVP does not equate best player, and I think people get that.

LeBron still has a shot at the Finals MVP, and that's a great consolation/last laugh.

islandprince
06-01-2011, 02:36 PM
rose was tha mvp of the regular season if ya do it like wat stern tinks den lebron wont hav no mvps at all its a season reward no oda sport gives the mvp afta the playoffs so let it b rose deserved it he was the most important player on the bulls

SteBO
06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Keep it the way it is though. It's a regular season award, so it should stay that way. Rose was deserving this year, despite the occurances in the playoffs.

Mc Uncle Cola
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
i always said rose shouldnt have been mvp..people just like to fall on hype..what everyone else is sayin they go with...just because he is the only person on that team that can score..That should make him an MVP? Rose is waaayyy over rated...so are the bulls.

i just saw a list by the daily news that rose is the 4th best player in the league..lol no wayyyy ...look

1. Lebron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Derrick Rose
5. Kevin Durant
6. Dwyane Wade
7. Dwight Howard
8. Chris Paul
9. Carmelo Anthony
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Rajon Rondo
13. Paul Pierce
14. Manu Ginobili
15. Blake Griffin
16. Chris Bosh
17. Pau Gasol
18. Kevin Love
19. Steve Nash
20. Tim Duncan

rose is better player then dwight? Dwill? CP3? nope... and i also thing cp3 is a tad over rated too but thats a diff story..

IMO Deron Williams is the best PG in the league ..he was the only 20-10 guy in the league this year...and hes ranked 11..please

Lebron should have been MVP this year hands down

Sadds The Gr8
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
keep it as a regular season award. they should just reward it earlier, like right after the reg.season ends, instead of half-way through the playoffs...

TheHighLife
06-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Theres an MVP award for the postseason just incase you didnt know. Rose did better in the regular season.

TheHighLife
06-01-2011, 02:42 PM
And Kevin Durant is not better than Howard for that list up there

finalverse
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Is there a rule that says the MVP has to get to the Finals and win it before becoming MVP? No...so why is some folks still crying. Rose lead his team to the best record in the League without an All Star and I doubt any of his teammates are HOF caliber either. He got the team all the way to Eastern Conference Finals. Give it a rest guys. He had a great year.

Baller1
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
i always said rose shouldnt have been mvp..people just like to fall on hype..what everyone else is sayin they go with...just because he is the only person on that team that can score..That should make him an MVP? Rose is waaayyy over rated...so are the bulls.

i just saw a list by the daily news that rose is the 4th best player in the league..lol no wayyyy ...look

1. Lebron James
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Dirk Nowitzki
4. Derrick Rose
5. Kevin Durant
6. Dwyane Wade
7. Dwight Howard
8. Chris Paul
9. Carmelo Anthony
10. Amar'e Stoudemire
11. Deron Williams
12. Rajon Rondo
13. Paul Pierce
14. Manu Ginobili
15. Blake Griffin
16. Chris Bosh
17. Pau Gasol
18. Kevin Love
19. Steve Nash
20. Tim Duncan

rose is better player then dwight? Dwill? CP3? nope... and i also thing cp3 is a tad over rated too but thats a diff story..

IMO Deron Williams is the best PG in the league ..he was the only 20-10 guy in the league this year...and hes ranked 11..please

Lebron should have been MVP this year hands down

Link?

Baller1
06-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Is there a rule that says the MVP has to get to the Finals and win it before becoming MVP? No...so why is some folks still crying. Rose lead his team to the best record in the League without an All Star and I doubt any of his teammates are HOF caliber either. He got the team all the way to Eastern Conference Finals. Give it a rest guys. He had a great year.

No one's even "crying" about Rose winning MVP.

finalverse
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
The author is crying.

Raph12
06-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Lol at Stern recognizing Rose didn't deserve the MVP.

Exactly what I was thinking lol... But Stern has had a woody for LBJ since he entered the league.

29$JerZ
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Rose was the regular season MVP
LeBron or Dirk will have the better award, Finals MVP

Chi StateOfMind
06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Rose was the regular season MVP
LeBron or Dirk will have the better award, Finals MVP

This. Don't forget Wade.

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2011, 03:11 PM
The best time to give the awards would be after the regular season before the start of the first playoff game.

Its a regular season award so if can take playoff performances out of the debate all together.

PurpleJesus
06-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Rose was the MVP of the regular season...the award is handed out at the appropriate time. In the playoffs, Lebron has shown that he is a better player than Rose...so he will get the Finals MVP if his team wins. Why would you base a regular season award off of what is done in the post season?

DR_1
06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
More hate for Rose; what a surprise. :facepalm: