PDA

View Full Version : With the Big 3 doing well, will it push more superstars to do the same?

NYman15
06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
With the Heat big 3 doing well, will this push/force more superstars to the same? Do you think thats guys like Cp3, D-Will, and Howard among others make the move to join together and realize the only way they can win is by joining up? Will Chris Paul say I can't win a championship against the Heat without joining together with NY or OKC or LA? So, do you think that with the Heats success and possibly championship in their first year will it force other stars to do the same?

MagicHero3
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
CP3, Dwight and...JJ Reddick? lol

Baller1
06-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Honestly... Probably. If it's an effective formula for success, then of course teams are going to be more inclined to do the same. Hopefully it at least isn't taken over by superteams in big markets, because then we'd really see the death of the small market in the NBA.

Tmath
06-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Yep, and it sucks. I hope the new CBA fixes this. If not they may as well contract half of the league if they want it to be competitive.

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 12:48 PM
The CBA has to address this, if more of these continue to happen it will destroy some markets in the nba. If teams cannot effectively draw star players other than through the draft, then they make plans with some buddies to play together. You will just have 5 or 6 powerful teams a year, and more than likely they will be the same teams year after year.

sammid21
06-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Superteams are bad for the NBA, sure they seem good right now, but in the long run, smaller market teams without a superstar will suffer financially. the reason tv ratings are up right now is because people want to tune in to se Miami, if there isnt a lock out next season, im sure most people will tune out, especially if miami wins the title. I bet players would sign with different teams not in big markets if teams were allowed 1 maybe 2 max contracts. or a hard cap

Carey
06-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Im sure its on players minds but i hope the new CBA doesnt allow it from a salary standpoint. I dont think its good for the competitive balance of basketball.

Heater4life
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
The CBA has to address this, if more of these continue to happen it will destroy some markets in the nba. If teams cannot effectively draw star players other than through the draft, then they make plans with some buddies to play together. You will just have 5 or 6 powerful teams a year, and more than likely they will be the same teams year after year.

And how is this a "change" for the league? Need i remind everyone we saw the Lakers in the Finals 3 years in a row? The Celtics 2 of 3.

Should I remind everyone that from 1999 to 2010, 11 of the 13 western conference titles and 9 championships have gone to either the Lakers or Spurs?

Shall i include the Bulls dominace thru the 90's?

If the NBA needs parity for the small market teams where has it been the last two decades? Please.

SteBO
06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
And how is this a "change" for the league? Need i remind everyone we saw the Lakers in the Finals 3 years in a row? The Celtics 2 of 3.

Should I remind everyone that from 1999 to 2010, 11 of the 13 western conference titles and 9 championships have gone to either the Lakers or Spurs?

If the NBA needs parity for the small market teams where has it been the last two decades? Please.
You must have gotten this from my mind. I was thinking the exact same thing :D

Guys, I get where you're coming from, but this has been an ongoing issue for years in the NBA, and it's been doing fine. Where do you think this league would be if it weren't for the Lakers' and Celtics' dynasties in the 80s, or the MJ's reign of terror in the 90s? C'mon guys. The league, David Stern, loves dynasties in general and there's no refuting that. This notion that it's bad for the NBA is just silly.

dhopisthename
06-01-2011, 01:15 PM
no because how often does a team have the cap or the talent to land a big 3? look at New York they now have a big two but they have no pieces to get anyone else and because of salary increases they will have a hard time getting someone else. Another thing is that the heat currently have 2 of the top 5 players while I don't think it would be possible to get that anywhere else.

godolphins
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM

:clap:

TopsyTurvy
Superstar players should try and work together. It's one of the only ways to win in this league.

Keep in mind that basketball is arguably the only professional sport where winning a title comes from having the BEST 'team' on the court. The format of both the playoffs and the game itself lends itself to this concept. Barring that unique title win by Detroit, every championship team has had at least one or more hall of fame bound players.

League contraction could also solve many problems the league faces. Superstars finding the need to 'band together' to win titles is nothing new and dominant teams are made in the process. Less teams leads to consolidated talent which yields better basketball and arguably a better business model. The downside being legal woes and cities losing franchises.

At the end of the day I would prefer to see fewer teams in the league than the creation of another Miami (not meant as an insult at all).

rhino17
hopefully, other stars have more self respect than the Miami players and dont take the easy way out

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 01:20 PM

So your saying the league has 4 powerful teams year in and year out?
I will edit my post if you want.

The Heat right or wrong not getting into this argument here, set a precedent. The 3 of them did something, that had never really been done before. It has the potential to destroy the league, a couple more guys decide to do this then you have a league of 4 (that's the number you wanted right) super teams.

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
1956 Celtics Roster - this is not new, just picked a random year during the Celtics dynasy

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/1957.html

1969 Lakers Roster - this is not new, picked a random year from the Lakers past

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1969.html

Since 1980 (list found during google search):

1991-92 Bulls 26.4 Jordan Pippen Grant
1995-96 Bulls 25.0 Jordan Pippen Kukoc
2006-07 Spurs 25.0 Duncan Ginobili Parker
1999-00 Lakers 24.1 O’Neal Bryant Rice
1990-91 Bulls 24.1 Jordan Pippen Grant
1996-97 Bulls 23.5 Jordan Pippen Kukoc
1985-86 Celtics 23.4 Bird McHale Parish
1982-83 76ers 23.3 Malone Erving Cheeks
1979-80 Lakers 23.2 Kareem Magic Wilkes
1992-93 Bulls 23.1 Jordan Pippen Grant
2004-05 Spurs 22.8 Duncan Ginobili Parker
1983-84 Celtics 22.8 Bird Parish McHale
1981-82 Lakers 22.2 Magic Kareem Wilkes
2008-09 Lakers 22.0 Bryant Gasol Bynum
2007-08 Celtics 21.8 Garnett Pierce Allen

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 01:23 PM

Guys, I get where you're coming from, but this has been an ongoing issue for years in the NBA, and it's been doing fine. Where do you think this league would be if it weren't for the Lakers' and Celtics' dynasties in the 80s, or the MJ's reign of terror in the 90s? C'mon guys. The league, David Stern, loves dynasties in general and there's no refuting that. This notion that it's bad for the NBA is just silly.

Its good for ratings but bad for fans (who are fans of other teams, which represents the majority). You know who benefits from the ratings, its for sure not the fans.

Heater4life
06-01-2011, 01:24 PM

The fact of the matter is simple. "Parity" became a perogative as soon as 3 of leagues top players signed together IN THEIR PRIME. As soon as such a talented team was assembled well within the rules, and became a viable contender for the next 6 years, it became an issue.

I dont recall people calling for parity when Malone and Payton signed with L.A, they were both at the end of there careers, but still productive. It didnt matter because the threat was limited to a couple years max.

David Robinson, Timmy, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson, Del Negro? Pretty stacked. But it didnt matter because they drafted Timmy and the rest of the roster was aging.

Its only an issue with the heat because they are young and in their prime.

Heater4life
06-01-2011, 01:26 PM
Its good for ratings but bad for fans (who are fans of other teams, which represents the majority). You know who benefits from the ratings, its for sure not the fans.

But again, refer to my first most, where has the parity been the last 20 years? How has anything changed?

TopsyTurvy
06-01-2011, 01:27 PM
1956 Celtics Roster - this is not new, just picked a random year during the Celtics dynasy

Also remember there are superstar teams that failed to achieve. There were times when the 76ers or the Blazers had stacked teams that simply failed to win a title despite dominating the league.

Baller1
06-01-2011, 01:29 PM

I get what you're saying, but as a fan of a big market team, you've got to empathize for fans of small market teams. You're right in regards to the fact that this has been an ongoing problem for years in the NBA, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed as effectively as possible.

I'm rooting for the Heat, and actually think the idea of superteams is exciting, but it has to be moderated accordingly or it could doom parity in the NBA for a long, long time.

PhillyFaninLA
06-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Also remember there are superstar teams that failed to achieve. There were times when the 76ers or the Blazers had stacked teams that simply failed to win a title despite dominating the league.

That was kind of the point I was going for. The super teams have existed since the 1950's. You bring up a good point in that sometimes the stacked team doesn't win.

Heater4life
06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
So your saying the league has 4 powerful teams year in and year out?
I will edit my post if you want.

The Heat right or wrong not getting into this argument here, set a precedent. The 3 of them did something, that had never really been done before. It has the potential to destroy the league, a couple more guys decide to do this then you have a league of 4 (that's the number you wanted right) super teams.

If your argument is that the Heat eliminated competition by joining forces you have no basis because prior to the Heat even winning 1 you had the Lakers and Spurs winning 9 of 11 and Jordan pulling 6 of 8 through the 90's.

So, again, how has the big 3 signing changed the league in a competition stand point?

AllBall
06-01-2011, 01:33 PM

Im sure its on players minds but i hope the new CBA doesnt allow it from a salary standpoint. I dont think its good for the competitive balance of basketball.

This is ridiculous.

If the CBA prevents future Superteams from being formed, then Miami will be the only Superteam.

Hmmmm.....wait....

Yes, please the CBA has to do this. Leave Miami as the only Superteam! :D

Heater4life
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I get what you're saying, but as a fan of a big market team, you've got to empathize for fans of small market teams. You're right in regards to the fact that this has been an ongoing problem for years in the NBA, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be addressed as effectively as possible.

I'm rooting for the Heat, and actually think the idea of superteams is exciting, but it has to be moderated accordingly or it could doom parity in the NBA for a long, long time.

I can agree with your point of view. The problem here is that this issue of league wide "parity" is stemming from the Miami Heat's off season signings, when the truth of the matter is that there has been little to no parity in the league for the last 30 years.

Hell, if anything, the heat and mavs are breaking the mold!!!

LA_Raiders
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
LeBroom, Wade and Bosh ruined the NBA. We will have 3-5 Super teams and low market teams will get screwed. This is the future of the NBA. **** you Stern...

All Star players will star looking to join a 2 all-star team to compete... I can see LA, Chi, Mia, NY, OKC owning the NBA

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
But again, refer to my first most, where has the parity been the last 20 years? How has anything changed?

Fair enough, I apologize that my disdain towards the league parody is coming out at this time. This however represents the years my love of ball, and being vocal about it have come forward. I have always disliked the Celtics and Lakers and Spurs for years. The Malone years with Lakers as you speak of, I was 11 or 12.

Being from Canada, as much as I hate the over saturation of hockey its a league where parody exists since the 05 lockout. Small markets (Carolina,Tampa Bay) can build teams to win. I like the system a hard cap provides. I hear my dad talk about the the nhl 20 year span from 70-90 where 5 teams won the cup. The way i hear him talk about it, it was more like everybody else jockeying to go nowhere.

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
LeBroom, Wade and Bosh ruined the NBA. We will have 3-5 Super teams and low market teams will get screwed. This is the future of the NBA. **** you Stern...

All Star players will star looking to join a 2 all-star team to compete... I can see LA, Chi, Mia, NY, OKC owning the NBA

Says the Laker fan.

LA_Raiders
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
The fact of the matter is simple. "Parity" became a perogative as soon as 3 of leagues top players signed together IN THEIR PRIME. As soon as such a talented team was assembled well within the rules, and became a viable contender for the next 6 years, it became an issue.

I dont recall people calling for parity when Malone and Payton signed with L.A, they were both at the end of there careers, but still productive. It didnt matter because the threat was limited to a couple years max.

David Robinson, Timmy, Sean Elliot, Avery Johnson, Del Negro? Pretty stacked. But it didnt matter because they drafted Timmy and the rest of the roster was aging.

Its only an issue with the heat because they are young and in their prime.

lol, come on man? Malone & Payton were done, and SA were a good all around team not a team with All Stars. Miami has 2 of the Top 3 players in the NBA and 1 Top 20.

SteBO
06-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I'm a Heat fan, who has been fortunate to able to see LeBron, Wade, and Bosh every night possible on my TV. so it's hard for to empathize with small market teams and their fans. Should it be moderated to a degree? Sure, why not? My point was that without these superteams who knows where this league would be. People here talk about fairness, in fact rhino17 falsely stated LeBron and Wade took the easy way out to win. Seriously? That couldn't have been more wrong.

We criticize these guys for making a business decision to change where they can work for a better opportunity, but totally leave out the fact that we would want that same chance, to be able to choose where we feel is a better situation. See how hypoctritical that is? Alot of this stems from fans' envy and hatred for Miami, not for the good of the league. Had LeBron stayed in Cleveland, or even went to NY, where he would "the man", in a bigger sports market, this would be a non issue for alot of you(not you baller101200). OKC did a great job of drafting and making the right choices in regards to trades. Same thing with San Antonio and Memphis. It's about time these GM's get smarter and do some thinking of their own. Anyone would have killed to get these three guys. Hell, in the 90s, if MJ was a FA, teams would have reached out to him too, and fought like rabid animals. The only reason it's an issue is because of what Heater4life said, these guys did it in their prime. But outside of that, this is no different from 2 decades ago. Really?

Slimsim
06-01-2011, 01:44 PM
This is ridiculous.

If the CBA prevents future Superteams from being formed, then Miami will be the only Superteam.

Hmmmm.....wait....

Yes, please the CBA has to do this. Leave Miami as the only Superteam! :D

Exactly That would make miami the only SuperTeam and they would be able to sign Key players each off season. no one would come close to a title for the next 5 years

Baller1
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I can agree with your point of view. The problem here is that this issue of league wide "parity" is stemming from the Miami Heat's off season signings, when the truth of the matter is that there has been little to no parity in the league for the last 30 years.

Hell, if anything, the heat and mavs are breaking the mold!!!

True, but this could just be a shift in the "controllers of parity". In other words, the parity will still be lacking, but there will just be new teams dominating the league as opposed to SA, LA, and Boston like it has been for so long.

OKC is a small market at least (although they should be in Seattle which is a much larger market).

sep11ie
06-01-2011, 01:47 PM
My F'ing god, how many times are we gonna have this thread?

ddhulett
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Hope Not

It's like cheating on your test and getting an A vs the guy who worked his *** of to get an A

Taking a Helicopter to the top of the Mountain VS Climbing to the top of the Mountain!

Of course you got an A you cheated!

Of course you got to the top you took a helicopter!

What are you more impressed with? What's more appreciated?

Purple&Gold24
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I think we can take them with a Above average PG.

Jetsguy
06-01-2011, 02:02 PM
I dont see how this is bad for basketball, I am a pretty casual fan when it comes to the NBA and have not watched a finals that didnt include my team ever, until this year. I bet there are a lot of similar people.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Hope Not

It's like cheating on your test and getting an A vs the guy who worked his *** of to get an A

Taking a Helicopter to the top of the Mountain VS Climbing to the top of the Mountain!

Of course you got an A you cheated!

Of course you got to the top you took a helicopter!

What are you more impressed with? What's more appreciated?

Worst analogies in the history of analogies.

1. They did everything within the rules.

2. They didn't buy their way in. They took paycuts.

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
lol, come on man? Malone & Payton were done, and SA were a good all around team not a team with All Stars. Miami has 2 of the Top 3 players in the NBA and 1 Top 20.

If you're willing to admit that D-Wade is a top 3 player, I don't want to see you post in a "top 10 players in the game thread" and not have him in your top 5.

I feel like people here only make arguments convenient to the ****ing thread.

godolphins
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
If your argument is that the Heat eliminated competition by joining forces you have no basis because prior to the Heat even winning 1 you had the Lakers and Spurs winning 9 of 11 and Jordan pulling 6 of 8 through the 90's.

So, again, how has the big 3 signing changed the league in a competition stand point?
Those people don't even know the history of the NBA: "The Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls, 76ers, Pistons, Rockets, Heat are the only teams who won a championship in last 30 years"

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
To answer the thread and avoid making this a "I hate the Heat" thread, Yes.

If you saw three people go to the store and come out with a 3D HDTV that said "Free" on the box, and you asked them how they did it and they said "all you have to do is find 2 buddies that make about as much money as you and pass a credit check and you'll get it completely free" you're not going to go find a random homeless guy (Gilbert Arenas) and the guy wiping your windshield (Jameer Nelson) when you make 6 figures.

ddhulett
06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Worst analogies in the history of analogies.

1. They did everything within the rules.

2. They didn't buy their way in. They took paycuts.

I Have friends that are Heat fans that say they are great analogies

1. Didn't say they did outside the rules

2. Pay cuts has nothing to do with it.

My point is, Lebron couldn't Win it on his own so he decided he was tired of working so hard for a championship

Easy way out! period that's what it is.

So now it's, of course you won a Championship your supposed too!

Instead of being impressed you take all of the fun out of the game.

If Kobe and Jordan got together we would expect them to win.

It's playing Xbox and Playstation with your top 3 favorite players vs a normal team.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
My point is, Lebron couldn't Win it on his own so he decided he was tired of working so hard for a championship

Name me a player that did it on his own.

Its a convenient argument being made NOW because as I recall everyone was saying it would not work. The Egos, who would close, the chemistry in the first year. Etc. etc.

uhuh, convenient to say that now huh? :rolleyes:

Go watch the NFL.

Your saying that Lebron and Wade are on the same level as Kobe and Jordan?

It's playing Xbox and Playstation with your top 3 favorite players vs a normal team.

Phil Jackson says Xbox basketball doesn't work. ;)

To answer the thread and avoid making this a "I hate the Heat" thread, Yes.

If you saw three people go to the store and come out with a 3D HDTV that said "Free" on the box, and you asked them how they did it and they said "all you have to do is find 2 buddies that make about as much money as you and pass a credit check and you'll get it completely free" you're not going to go find a random homeless guy (Gilbert Arenas) and the guy wiping your windshield (Jameer Nelson) when you make 6 figures.

And the crappy analogies continue. :rolleyes:

SteBO
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Nothing has come easy for the Heat all year, and that won't ever change from here on in. That's how the NBA has always been. You people say it's easy now, and that we're supposed to win despite the fact many of you said we'd get bounced out the second round vs. Boston. :eyebrow:

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM

Before you get hyper-sensitive and emotional it wasn't meant to criticize the Heat or any other super team. If you're able to convince 3+ stars to play for your team, fantastic. No problem here. It's good to watch.

godolphins
06-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Was he suppose to follow in KG footsteps and stay on a team whose wasting his talents? Even KG warned him about. Plus we all know no one can win a championship alone.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Before you get hyper-sensitive and emotional it wasn't meant to criticize the Heat or any other super team. If you're able to convince 3+ stars to play for your team, fantastic. No problem here. It's good to watch.

Listen I criticize heat fans too. If you have a bad argument/analogy I will point it out.

MelkyNYY
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Listen I criticize heat fans too. If you have a bad argument/analogy I will point it out.

And I'm not a Heat fan. You're on a roll.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
And I'm not a Heat fan. You're on a roll.

Ok. Let me state it very carefully since you are on the defensive.

I even criticize Heat fans. So its not a matter whether your on my side or not. This does not imply that you are a Heat fan. Ugh. This board sometimes I swear. :facepalm:

godolphins
06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Ok. Let me state it very carefully since you are on the defensive.

I even criticize Heat fans. So its not a matter whether your on my side or not. This does not imply that you are a Heat fan. Ugh. This board sometimes I swear. :facepalm:
You criticized me once for saying we should go after Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and TJ Ford next year :laugh2:

autechre
06-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Although I've enjoyed watching the Heat play this season and end up in the NBA Finals by completely dominating their opponents, this is just their first season together. It's still a "honeymoon" of sorts. Their chemistry will spoil and eventually one of the three will leave. It goes without question. Just like marriages.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:34 PM
You criticized me once for saying we should go after Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and TJ Ford next year :laugh2:

I'm an equal opportunity offender. :laugh2:

Da Knicks
06-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Knick fan here so you know i hate the heat, did they do anything wrong no. Players have teamed up forever and no one said anything about it, now that the teams that always get favored didnt get the prize they complain. The heat for all the crap people talked about them are doing good and i for one could not be happier that Lebron eventhough a heat player will finally get a chance to show people that he never had the talent that all the other stars had to win a title.

TheHighLife
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Superteams ruin the fun

ddhulett
06-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Name me a player that did it on his own.
Jordan! and don't say well he had Pippen because Pippen was not someone who could carry a team on his back he was a nice player.

Its a convenient argument being made NOW because as I recall everyone was saying it would not work. The Egos, who would close, the chemistry in the first year. Etc. etc.

I'm just stating something I believe in, This finals series isn't over yet!

uhuh, convenient to say that now huh? :rolleyes:
If they win or don't win I would feel the same. If you ever wonder why the Heat are hated? It's because they took the easy way...you can defend it all you want but from the outside that's the way people view it. It may be wrong but it's the reason everyone dislikes them.

Go watch the NFL.
and? Love the NFL! The CBA doesn't allow for this stuff.

Your saying that Lebron and Wade are on the same level as Kobe and Jordan?
You bet! Lebron hasn't even won 1 championship yet and he is compared to Jordan by many. Wade---Go look at his stats to Kobe's it's very close they are different type of players but it's close.

Phil Jackson says Xbox basketball doesn't work. ;)
Lol I agree with him

Here's another one lol
If you're fat *** uncle had surgery to lose 150lbs and you did P90X to lose 150lbs
What's more rewarding?

shep33
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I would be suprised if no franchises folded in the next 5 years.

mdm692
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
This is how u solve the argument

Send D12 and mayo to celtics, send iggy to bulls, cp3 to knicks, Dwill to hawks and we let em duke it out in the playoffs western teams will just build strong stacked teams

Rondo, mayo, D12
Rose, iggy, noah
Wade, bron, bosh
CP3, melo, stat
Dwill, JJ, horford

MagicHero3
06-01-2011, 03:28 PM
have 3 all stars- all WORLD (olympic gold medalist) ever teamed up? (im not hating, im curious).

KG Pierce and Allen- i dont think all three of those guys were olympic gold medalists and all stars at the same time they were together.

Trust me, this is the first team of its kind. 3 guys who are all in their prime at the same time.
Again, not hating, just pointing this out.

I think picking the Heat to win it all pre-season was the easiest prediction ever made in the NBA.

As soon as they announced it, you had the believers and non-believers. The non-believers doubted the chemistry. The believers (or, the realists) predicted 60+ win seasons and several championships.
Has it ever been that easy to predict such high achievements? and look how close they are already in their first season together! I feel like professional sports shouldnt be so predictable.

Im hoping the Magic figure out someway to pickup 2 superstars in their prime! Dwight needs 2 more to complete the big 3 in O-Town.

albertc86
06-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Did you forget about Boston and L.A. these past few years? The Big Three concept wasn't born this year.

MagicHero3
06-01-2011, 03:42 PM
yea but who is LA's big three? just 2, kobe and pau. and im talking about in their prime- i dont think KG Pierce and Allen were all in their prime the year they won the title. thats just my opinion though.

AntiG
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
hopefully. Loaded rosters = more excitement and much higher quality play instead of the mediocrity that the NFL has become under the hard cap. Just contract about 8 franchises and you're set.

MagicHero3
06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
how about all the players just get BETTER so every team has great players. thatll solve evveerryytthhiinngg

koreancabbage
06-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Miami was a small - market team before Lebron got there.... so i dont know about contracting small market teams. sometimes, its all about geography.

in all honesty, most players who are young would love the beaches of Miami or LA. This time Miami got lucky with Lebron wanting to go there.

sixer04fan
06-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Quick, every Heat fan jump in and say how superstar teams are the best thing since sliced bread!

Big Zo
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Quick, every Heat fan jump in and say how superstar teams are the best thing since sliced bread!

... Or we can just keep pointing out that there's never been any real parity in the NBA.

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
... Or we can just keep pointing out that there's never been any real parity in the NBA.

Or we can talk about how the CBA can be structured in an attempt to create parity?

AllBall
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Miami was a small - market team before Lebron got there.

wait, what? :confused:

MagicHero3
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Or we can talk about how the CBA can be structured in an attempt to create parity?

OR we could talk about eyeballs that are floating on water being shot out of some purple guys eyesockets....:cry:

Big Zo
06-01-2011, 04:59 PM

Won't work. Basketball is a game where one individual can take over and win you games. The richer teams will more often than not be able to aquire that player, even with a new CBA.

3Blueforyou
06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Won't work. Basketball is a game where one individual can take over and win you games. The richer teams will more often than not be able to aquire that player, even with a new CBA.

Is this thread not about a group of players getting together to win. Lebron who arguably is the best player in the league, said he could not win in Cleveland so that's why they put this team together. The idea with the CBA would be some sort of hard cap, that would not allowing such things to happen. Unless the players take significant pay cuts. More drastic than what was done this season by the big three in Miami.

Look at the parity in the NHL of late, teams like Tampa Bay and Carolina can build a winner and win it all. Through a combination of drafting and good signings. NHL is a more of a sport where one hot player can take you all the way (ride a hot goalie).

Big Zo
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Is this thread not about a group of players getting together to win. Lebron who arguably is the best player in the league, said he could not win in Cleveland so that's why they put this team together. The idea with the CBA would be some sort of hard cap, that would not allowing such things to happen. Unless the players take significant pay cuts. More drastic than what was done this season by the big three in Miami.

Look at the parity in the NHL of late, teams like Tampa Bay and Carolina can build a winner and win it all. Through a combination of drafting and good signings. NHL is a more of a sport where one hot player can take you all the way (ride a hot goalie).

LeBron got to the finals with a team that consisted of such players as Joe the butcher, and vinnie the cab driver. He certainly could have won in Cleveland had he gotten decent help. Problem is that nobody wants to go to Cleveland and no one will still want to go to Cleveland after the CBA. Bosh had the same problem in Toronto. And as far as hockey goes, i've never watched a game in my life so I wouldn't know.

hugepatsfan
06-01-2011, 05:20 PM

There's a difference. The issue here isn't team success. It's superstar players leaving small markets. If every superstar forces his way out, you're going to lose interest in those markets. That's not good for the NBA. It's OK to have dominant teams, but it's important that stars still play in small markets to draw fans in those areas.

smith&wesson
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
howard and paul to the knicks.

paul
fields
mello
stat
howard

lol

Il Mago50
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Let's hope for the sake of the league staying interesting that it doesn't happen after the new CBA. Having a team with two stars has been around a long, long time and doesn't mean that you necessarily are a contender.

But the league has gotten to a point where each and every year, there are legitimately maybe 4-5 teams at best that are serious contenders and then you have the pretenders who people can hype all they want but know they don't stand a chance and then finally you have the bottom feeders and low seeded playoff teams that get rag-dolled in the first round.

In all honesty, I'm losing interest because of this type of stuff. If Miami takes a 2-0 lead, I'm done watching for the year. The NBA can learn from hockey where you have that hard cap and the team's are much more competitive. Right now, it's almost like it's been written to script for the past few years, from the Celtics winning it all in their first year against their long time rival Lakers, to Kobe getting two straight rings, to now the Heat winning it all probably.

It's just not interesting or fair for the rest of the league outside these few cities.

Slimsim
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM

paul
fields
mello
stat
howard

lol

it's going to be hard to get 1 but you some how have the knicks getting both.

Il Mago50
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM

paul
fields
mello
stat
howard

lol

Maybe if the two of them take a split of the mid-level exception. If this kind of team ever got put together, Stern needs to be sacked.

smith&wesson
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
it's going to be hard to get 1 but you some how have the knicks getting both.

Maybe if the two of them take a split of the mid-level exception. If this kind of team ever got put together, Stern needs to be sacked.

just kidding guys.

imagine though .. if these guys do talk behind scenes they probably figure to have the best chance all together somewhere. maybe after the lock out stern finds a way to have just two teams. all star east and all star west. lol

daboywonder2002
06-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Since 1980 (list found during google search):

1991-92 Bulls 26.4 Jordan Pippen Grant
1995-96 Bulls 25.0 Jordan Pippen Kukoc
2006-07 Spurs 25.0 Duncan Ginobili Parker
1999-00 Lakers 24.1 O’Neal Bryant Rice
1990-91 Bulls 24.1 Jordan Pippen Grant
1996-97 Bulls 23.5 Jordan Pippen Kukoc
1985-86 Celtics 23.4 Bird McHale Parish
1982-83 76ers 23.3 Malone Erving Cheeks
1979-80 Lakers 23.2 Kareem Magic Wilkes
1992-93 Bulls 23.1 Jordan Pippen Grant
2004-05 Spurs 22.8 Duncan Ginobili Parker
1983-84 Celtics 22.8 Bird Parish McHale
1981-82 Lakers 22.2 Magic Kareem Wilkes
2008-09 Lakers 22.0 Bryant Gasol Bynum
2007-08 Celtics 21.8 Garnett Pierce Allen

Horace grant was not a top 10-15 player in the league. please dont include him in this list. Neither was kukoc, manu or tony parker. Boston's big 3 were old. Glen rice?? are you serious?? come on you gotta be joking. MO cheeks was good but he was not a top 10- 15 player. the only comparable list i can see is the big 3 of the larry bird celtics. but other than that, not too many times have you had two top 5 players(aka mvp candidates) and a top 10-15 player on the same squad and they are all under 30 YEARS OLD.

12evolution 9
06-01-2011, 07:17 PM

took the words out of my mouth.... at some point in the early 2000's ... Who ever won those Lakers Vs King match up won the finals... then it was spurs...

they had dominant players ... not PLAYER... PLAYERSSSSS with a s .......

since 1980 only 7-8 diff. teams have won.... there being 32 teams... it should atleast be 11-15 if the league was balanced....

but it is not...

Teams need to do better job at drafting, or free agency...

when you pay a player like BOOZER a max contract and then sit his *** in closing moments of crucial game... you did bad at free agency..

and btw Chicago executive getting part of RILEYS trophy was BULL ****... seriously. .. Riley gets top 3 freeagents ... discounted and he doesnt get the full credit of exec. of the year... cmon ...

... back to point...

it seems that now when Miami ... which was a city that was disliked by most, and the only reason of appreciation shown to this city was its beautiful women and weather. but like i was saying Now that Miami has a team... that was put together through free agency rather than the draft... EVERY1 has a problem with ..???? REALLY???

where were all you Jordan a*s*s* kissers when he was dominating the 90's...

... sometimes i feel like i was the only person who hated Michael Jordan... especially stopping Tim Hardaway from winning the Championship....

still hold a little grudge on that...

but no one was saying crap when he was dominating the league with Pippen, Rodman, Kukoch, Kerr....

No 1 said crap how Magic + Worthy+ Kareem vs Bird + Mchale + Parish were the only teams playing in the finals through out the 80's.

No 1 said crap how Manu Ginobli + Tony Parker + Duncan dominated to win 3 rings...

... Then when you add... that most of you people ... Now crying about this... were calling Bosh ... POSH / Soft / Pssy / Over Rated / ECT..... now he is back to being a Star???

Get a grip people... this is how championships have been won in the last few century's.

I think teams and players have to step up ... IE - MEMPHIS . PHILLY . INDIANA . OKC .

Memphis ... Zach Randolph was only a fantasy player to most people... a solid 20/10 guy who doesnt really get the highlight reels... But he mustered enough of his potential with help from his coaching staff to get them to playoffs and win a series even.

Conley has shown up to be a player who is going to compete along with OJ MAYO who finally showed up ... he doing what he was suppose to since draft...

Tony Allen + Battier = Solid Defenders ...Alright shooters

Gasol and Habiet(iranian) = SIZE .. Wow they got size....

THEY DID NOT EVEN PLAY WITH RUDY GAY... that is freaky for the WEST ... Memphis is on the Horizon .. calling it now, sure most of you agree.

Philly ... Thaddeus Young , Louise Williams, Elton Brand , Andre Iguodala, Evan Turner,

... at times they gave the HEAT trouble... they got some scorers..

OKC ... not even going to explain.. cmon Westbrook, Durant, Harden... there doing good for themselves ... How... with smart drafting....

Indiana... Watching all HEAT games this year.. this team would surprise me on how much trouble they could cause for the HEAT....

Tyler Hansborough is just annoying at times... Collison almost matched up ROse in the first round, speedy quick guy, Danny Granger still young ... needs to step up a bit - missed some shots... Foster gonna get old legs soon, still a good rebounder... Hilbert or Herbert.. Indy's center is gonna get better ... mad potential on that kid... he was on first take... man he is 7'2

Some teams suck at constructing teams by either giving horrible contracts to players or drafting a player who can be the next Jamarcus Russell.