PDA

View Full Version : Cuban staying quiet

FriedTofuz
05-31-2011, 08:15 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/sports/basketball/still-in-spotlight-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-steps-away-from-microphone.html

Yet on the eve of the Mavericks’ finals rematch with the Miami Heat, Cuban had gone silent. No blog posts, no boastful messages on Twitter, no provocative sound bites. He has not spoken on the record since early May. Dallas reporters have been greeted by an empty StairMaster.

Late last week, Cuban declined a reporter’s request with a Twitter-length e-mail: “not doing any interviews.”

The 2006 Heat-Mavericks finals were dominated by Dwyane Wade, officiating controversy and Cuban. This series, it seems, will be different.

“I think this time around, it’s more about us,” said Mavericks guard Jason Terry, one of two holdovers from the 2006 team. “I think he’s tried to stay away from being a distraction, and it’s working out for us.”

This is, according to those who cover Cuban, the longest he has gone without speaking publicly since he took over the franchise in 2000.

why is he being silent?

Theories on his silence abound.

It could be, as Terry said, that Cuban wants to avoid creating a stir with a championship in reach. The Mavericks’ window of opportunity may be slight, with Dirk Nowitzki turning 33 this month and 38-year-old Jason Kidd running the offense

Looks like Cuban's maturing as an owner and wants to avoid being fined and causing his words to motivate the opposing team.

Bruno
05-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Smart. He did get a little big headed during the WC ceremony, but other than that he's been an angle compared to what we've seen from him in the past.

MiamiWadeCounty
05-31-2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/sports/basketball/still-in-spotlight-mavericks-owner-mark-cuban-steps-away-from-microphone.html

why is he being silent?

Looks like Cuban's maturing as an owner and wants to avoid being fined and causing his words to motivate the opposing team.

I don't think he cares at all about being fined a measly 100 or 200 k, however I do believe his words do give other teams motivation. They also put huge pressure on his team in addition to the enormous pressure they already have on themselves.

FriedTofuz
05-31-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't think he cares at all about being fined a measly 100 or 200 k, however I do believe his words do give other teams motivation. They also put huge pressure on his team in addition to the enormous pressure they already have on themselves.

When your a billionaire, you will probably throw money away. I agree with you.

Chi StateOfMind
05-31-2011, 08:27 PM
But when he leave I'll be talking again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2pRY_7x8k&feature=related

Start at :40 seconds.

mets77
05-31-2011, 08:32 PM
He will talk by the end of this series.

Mudvayne91
05-31-2011, 08:38 PM

I agree. The $ isn't the issue. It's more than likely he doesn't want to say/do anything stupid that could potentially alter his team's chances of winning by as you said, extra motivation for the opponets and more pressure on his team.

smith&wesson
05-31-2011, 08:39 PM
its smart of him to keep his big mouth shut and not jinx his team.

with that being said i love cuban as an ownder. i would love for the raptors to have an owner like him.

FriedTofuz
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
its smart of him to keep his big mouth shut and not jinx his team.

with that being said i love cuban as an ownder. i would love for the raptors to have an owner like him.

Every Nba team could use an owner as enthusastic as Mark Cuban

3Blueforyou
05-31-2011, 10:12 PM
But when he leave I'll be talking again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2pRY_7x8k&feature=related

Start at :40 seconds.

ahahhahahahaahah, Im gunna get you high today.

SordidState
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Smart. He did get a little big headed during the WC ceremony, but other than that he's been an angle compared to what we've seen from him in the past.

Are you saying he's obtuse?

hard_candy
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Signs of life on Planet Cuban? Hard to believe. I guess there's hope for us all.

AllBall
06-01-2011, 02:37 AM
Phil Jackson got in his head. Thats what happened.

bedford1829
06-01-2011, 02:43 AM
He probably realizes the Mavs have their work cut out for them. He probably feels as though minimalizing distractions is the best course

ShiroRX
06-01-2011, 02:46 AM
He's a great owner, glad he's decided to act like an adult.

TheHighLife
06-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I can't wait to hear what he has to say next. His trash talk is what makes him such a great owner, I wish he owned the kings...

FriedTofuz
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
After another loss, it will only be harder for cuban to stay quiet. he will want to voice his opinion and frustration to the media very soon.