PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Dwight Howard signing 2 year extension with Magic?

stlbest5in2013
05-30-2011, 11:41 PM
we can now end all this talk about where he would go.

Learned from NBA Magic sources that Howard spent the weekend working on signing a 2 year extension beforeleaguegoesinto lockout

http://twitter.com/pinglocal6

its twitter, and twitter sucks, but better then the 4,000+ people guessing what his top 5 teams are.

cp3 might as work out a trade with orlando so he can have his big man, the hornets were really good when cp3 had a legit center.

210Don
05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
twatter?
inb4lock

TheHighLife
05-30-2011, 11:47 PM
That guys a liar, Howard is going to Dallas, LA, or New Jersey.

John Walls Era
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
:laugh2: WTH is this

stlbest5in2013
05-30-2011, 11:48 PM
That guys a liar, Howard is going to Dallas, LA, or New Jersey.

lol according to who, the crack head from blues clues?

RZZZA
05-30-2011, 11:50 PM
his quote in the Orlando Sentinel is this:

"I'm not trying to run behind nobody like Shaq or be behind somebody else," Howard said, referencing Shaquille O'Neal's decision to leave the Magic for the Los Angeles Lakers via free agency following the 1995-96 season.

"I want to start my own path and I want people to follow my path and not just follow somebody else's path. I want to have my own path, and I want to start that here in Orlando. But I can't do it alone. Not only do I need the right teammates, but I need the city behind me. That's the only way it's going to get done. We can change this small city that we have — this small market that we have — and we can make it a big market."

"As of right now, I'm a part of the Orlando Magic and I plan to be here," Howard said.

"And I want the Magic to do whatever they can to make sure that we can get our city behind us. That's the only thing that I want to happen: just to have the city behind me and the support of our fans. I never said I was leaving. I never, ever thought about leaving. That's basically where my head is right now. I never said anything to them [the Magic] about what my plans were because that's not what I'm focused on right now."

So sounds like he's saying "I want better people around me on this team"

PraiseJesus
05-30-2011, 11:52 PM
He wont win in orlando

Chi StateOfMind
05-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Sure whatever you say.

NBA_Starter
05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
What?:confused:

lvlheaded
05-30-2011, 11:53 PM
Until the ink dries, I wont believe it

TheHighLife
05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
lol according to who, the crack head from blues clues?

The past 500 posts about Dwight Howard.

Cano4prez
05-30-2011, 11:56 PM
:clap: Twatter's the best

Super.
05-30-2011, 11:57 PM
Ill be waiting for this to drop on a major sports / news network

ManRam
05-30-2011, 11:57 PM
He's a C level sports reporter in the Orlando area...

Bucher acts like he knows Dwight's list...this guy is trying to make a name for himself.

Dwight has had an extension offer for months and months, and hasn't signed it. I doubt he signs it now.

idrinkpepsi
05-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Honestly can we just have one thread, I am getting really tired of "My team is perfect" For D12, we know he is a big free agent but please can we just combine all the threads into one thread makes it much easier and heck you should probably do the same for Paul too

ldawg
05-30-2011, 11:59 PM
nooooooo Howard don't do it get out the East

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:00 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29688910?source=rss_teams_Orlando_Magic&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This was recent too...suggesting he does plan on staying.

Still, I don't buy any talk. When the contracts are signed I'll believe it.

I will say that I couldn't imagine in 100 years, even though I'd prefer Bynum to Noah or Lopez, that Dwight goes to LA. He doesn't want to be Shaq, period.

ESPN link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6609008

Sir Buckets
05-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Of course he wants to stay in Orlando, but that's only going to happen if they get better players around him. Good luck maneuvering around Arenas' and Turkoglu's contracts Otis.

Barring some out-of-nowhere amazing steal of a trade, he's coming to Chicago to run the league for the next decade with DRose.

He could legitimately play the "Well, I tried guys, but the FO couldn't put the right pieces around me and I want to win. I needed to team up with Pooh to fight the bad guys" card. I can see the headlines now:

Superman migrates to Chicago to fight evil in South Beach

NYK|NYY
05-31-2011, 12:02 AM
I think the thread title needed seven more question marks

Sixerlover
05-31-2011, 12:03 AM
I have more followers on twitter than that guy. I'll believe it when someone more credible posts something (Wojo, Broussard, Bucher or Stein)

TylerSL
05-31-2011, 12:21 AM
I doubt it happens. But imagine this. All Florida team

PG.CP3
SG.Wade
SF.Lebron
PF.Bosh
C.Howard

WOW at the thought of all 5 of those guys playing in 1 state.

DeadlyVeyerus31
05-31-2011, 12:23 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/29688910?source=rss_teams_Orlando_Magic&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

This was recent too...suggesting he does plan on staying.

Still, I don't buy any talk. When the contracts are signed I'll believe it.

I will say that I couldn't imagine in 100 years, even though I'd prefer Bynum to Noah or Lopez, that Dwight goes to LA. He doesn't want to be Shaq, period.

ESPN link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6609008

Whoever wrote this article for ESPN and approved for it to be released should be kicked in the nuts. Last time I checked, the Magic didn't lose to the 76ers. If you are going to write an article, at least get the facts right! :facepalm:

Bulls_fan90
05-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Fail thread. WTF is this kid on about?

SP17
05-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Guess he wants to waste his next 3 yrs..lol

stlbest5in2013
05-31-2011, 12:34 AM
Fail thread. WTF is this kid on about?

failed question it is not even a sentence.

Bulls_fan90
05-31-2011, 12:36 AM
failed question it is not even a sentence.

U mad buddy?

Sadds The Gr8
05-31-2011, 12:39 AM
cool story bruh

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 01:50 AM
Well Orlando has so much to give to NO......Arenas, Turkuglu, Duhon.....nothing but sweet contracts.

Unless the magic trade Dwight Howard for CP3 he isn't going to the Magic.

Raph12
05-31-2011, 02:19 AM
I doubt it happens. But imagine this. All Florida team

PG.CP3
SG.Wade
SF.Lebron
PF.Bosh
C.Howard

WOW at the thought of all 5 of those guys playing in 1 state.

That's 4 of the 5 best at their position... And Bosh is no slouch (~Top 5 PF [Dirk, Pau, Stat, Aldridge & Love]).

If we get CP3, that would solidify Dwight staying here, and if we get the amnesty clause to get rid of Arenas, we'll be much more flexible moving forward... Of course everything is speculation, but I like the way this is going vs all of the "where's he going" talk.

knicks_champ
05-31-2011, 02:23 AM
July first the old CBA agreement will expire. Sources confirming tonight its all but signed by dwight. #magic #howard

http://twitter.com/#!/pinglocal6/status/75392706813231104

Learned from NBA and Magic sources that Howard spent the weekend working on signing a Two year extension before league goes into lockout

http://twitter.com/#!/pinglocal6/status/75392182344888320

ORLANDO, Fla -- Magic center Dwight Howard spent the holiday weekend working on signing a two-year extension with the team, sources told Local 6 Sports Director David Pingalore late Monday.

Sources said the deal is all but signed by Howard. On Monday, Howard held an impromptu Memorial Day party for his Twitter followers and fans.

"I just got tired of everybody asking me 'Where am I gonna go? Are you going to stay? Everybody in Orlando is asking me'," Howard said. "So it was like, you know what? I want everybody to get their minds off something that is not gonna happen."

If Howard were to sign the extension, he would remain in an Orlando Magic uniform for four more seasons.

http://m.clickorlando.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=325&nid=50659015&cid=19239&scid=-1&ith=0&title=Top+Stories

Don't know how true this is but at least it's something new.

Didn't see the other thread... merge or delete if possible please.

John Walls Era
05-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Good for him. Now the difficult part is to get rid of Hedo.

stlbest5in2013
05-31-2011, 02:37 AM
U mad buddy?

not at all, this is not twitter. i can understand that junk, you asked a question which had no point.

TheHighLife
05-31-2011, 02:39 AM
If he's going to stay he needs Chris Paul. That would be pretty sweet.

DerekRE_3
05-31-2011, 02:45 AM

Bucher acts like he knows Dwight's list...this guy is trying to make a name for himself.

Dwight has had an extension offer for months and months, and hasn't signed it. I doubt he signs it now.

Well if you are a C level reporter, then the worst thing you can possibly do is report wrong information. Credibility is your paycheck. Not saying that means his reporting is factual, but if he is really just trying to make a name for himself, he's going about it the wrong way.

kozelkid
05-31-2011, 02:52 AM
That's 4 of the 5 best at their position... And Bosh is no slouch (~Top 5 PF [Dirk, Pau, Stat, Aldridge & Love]).

If we get CP3, that would solidify Dwight staying here, and if we get the amnesty clause to get rid of Arenas, we'll be much more flexible moving forward... Of course everything is speculation, but I like the way this is going vs all of the "where's he going" talk.

Not sure how the hell you'll get CP3 though.
Even if we are to assume that amnesty clause will be made so that it will also not effect the cap (since atm it's currently just for luxury tax), you still don't have the cap to sign CP3 or the trade pieces to acquire him.

TylerSL
05-31-2011, 03:10 AM

dude, that would be SWEET if they all played for 1 state. That would bring a REAL Heat/Magic rivalry. I dont think this story is legit, but I think it would be sweet.

TylerSL
05-31-2011, 03:14 AM
Even if we are to assume that amnesty clause will be made so that it will also not effect the cap (since atm it's currently just for luxury tax), you still don't have the cap to sign CP3 or the trade pieces to acquire him.

Maybe CP3 could do what Bosh did. Toronto knew Bosh was going to Miami, so they wanted to get anything they could out of him. If New Orleans knows Chris Paul wants to go to Orlando to team with Howard, they might just try to get anything they can out of him.

Raph12
05-31-2011, 03:17 AM
dude, that would be SWEET if they all played for 1 state. That would bring a REAL Heat/Magic rivalry. I dont think this story is legit, but I think it would be sweet.

x2

I remember watching the Magic-Heat games, seeing Dwight dominate the 1st and part of the 2nd, only to be doubled for the rest of the game and have all the shooters be shutdown... CP3 would open everything up for everyone and then we'd have a real rivalry.

I doubt it happens, but here's to hoping :cheers:

Nelson-Redick-Bass for CP3, yeah I know it won't happen, but who's to say one can't dream...

kozelkid
05-31-2011, 03:17 AM
Maybe CP3 could do what Bosh did. Toronto knew Bosh was going to Miami, so they wanted to get anything they could out of him. If New Orleans knows Chris Paul wants to go to Orlando to team with Howard, they might just try to get anything they can out of him.

Except Miami had the cap space to absorb Bosh, Orlando doesn't. And I really doubt NO would go as far as to accommodate him by taking awful contracts like Hedo's. Besides, I think all the teams who are on the verge of losing their star learned from Cleveland's and Toronto's mistakes. Well at least Cleveland had some chance of winning it all that year. NO really doesn't have any atm, so unless there will be a franchise tag, he will certainly be dealt to a team that can offer something better, like maybe OKC or LAC.

GoatMilk
05-31-2011, 03:37 AM
wow cool
didnt think he'd want to stay

TylerSL
05-31-2011, 03:38 AM
Except Miami had the cap space to absorb Bosh, Orlando doesn't. And I really doubt NO would go as far as to accommodate him by taking awful contracts like Hedo's. Besides, I think all the teams who are on the verge of losing their star learned from Cleveland's and Toronto's mistakes. Well at least Cleveland had some chance of winning it all that year. NO really doesn't have any atm, so unless there will be a franchise tag, he will certainly be dealt to a team that can offer something better, like maybe OKC or LAC.

I understand that but, if Orlando pulls a Pat Riley and explains to Howard their plan to bring CP3 to Orlando like I'm sure Riley explained his plan of Lebron/Bosh to Wade then it could work. Jason Richardson's contract is up after the season, he is making 14.4 million. The following season (when Howard and Paul are Free Agents) Jameer Nelson has a player option for the following season. If he takes it, then it will be very hard for Orlando to bring in Paul. But if he doesnt, that is an extra 8 million cap that Orlando can use. That would be 22.4 million. They could potentially sign CP3 in Free Agency and that would force New Orleans hand like Bosh forced Toronto's.

By no means do I think this article is true or holds any merit. I am just saying that it isnt totally impossible for it to happen.

TylerSL
05-31-2011, 03:44 AM
^ also, who knows if it is possible because their contracts are up after this CBA expires. It all depends on the new CBA.

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 03:44 AM
Lol

Iron24th
05-31-2011, 03:46 AM
Still need a legit source,but,whatever,if he does it,then,Othis better does some roster changes.

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 03:47 AM
If he stays with Orlando he is screwed with those horrific contracts.

COOLbeans
05-31-2011, 03:48 AM
if true. good for him.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-31-2011, 03:48 AM
cool story bruh

this

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 03:50 AM
I don't think people get that the magic have the two worst contracts in the NBA. If he stays with them he is just loyal, which is nice to see.

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 03:53 AM
So is it arenas and turkuglu for cp3? Solid trade, no would be over the cap by about 14 billion.

stlbest5in2013
05-31-2011, 03:54 AM
so isnt this the same thing i posted, if you clicked the link it has the same crap

koLohe2133
05-31-2011, 03:58 AM
so isnt this the same thing i posted, if you clicked the link it has the same crap

This one has a better title

bolts4ever
05-31-2011, 04:16 AM
bad move by Dwight especially considering hes in the same state as the Miami Heat. If he sign an extension with a team with 2-3 HORRIFIC contracts he removes all pressure on the FO to make changes.

ldawg
05-31-2011, 06:57 AM
pretty much **** on him self.

godolphins
05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Good

godolphins
05-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Twatter!!!

Hellcrooner
05-31-2011, 07:34 AM
oh yeah!!!!!
cause orlando has soooooooo atractive assets fo trade for paul, great contracts of young stars yeah!

UNLESS STERN DECIDES THAT HE WANTS DWIGHT TO STAY AND THUS MAKES A HORRIBLE TRADE OF CP TO ORLANDO

it wont happen.

Dwights as good as gone.

To the Lakers for bynum if The mAgic are wise
To the Knicks ,Nets or Celtics FOR FREE if the Magic are Stubborn and Stupid

ichitownclowni
05-31-2011, 07:39 AM
lol this guy is a crack head

magichatnumber9
05-31-2011, 07:46 AM
I hope this is true

JLynn943
05-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Of course he wants to stay in Orlando, but that's only going to happen if they get better players around him. Good luck maneuvering around Arenas' and Turkoglu's contracts Otis.

Barring some out-of-nowhere amazing steal of a trade, he's coming to Chicago to run the league for the next decade with DRose.

He could legitimately play the "Well, I tried guys, but the FO couldn't put the right pieces around me and I want to win. I needed to team up with Pooh to fight the bad guys" card. I can see the headlines now:

Superman migrates to Chicago to fight evil in South Beach

Pooh? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4197) D12 is gonna be a King!

:p

jezzyman05
05-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I applaued Dwight for wanting to stay in Orlando, I think it's good for him to stay in Orlando.

Now Paul to Orlando will never happen, Im sorry but Tim Duncan was just as good, if not a better player during his prime and not one star free agent wanted to come to San Antonio, Jason Kidd was close until that stupid wife of his (now he regrets that decision), what makes you think Howard will be any different, CP3, if he leaves New Orleans will be bound for New York to join up with Carmelo and Stat. The only way for Howard to win a title is for the FO to build around him which they have failed to do for the last 7 years.

godolphins
05-31-2011, 08:12 AM
I have more followers on twitter than that guy. I'll believe it when someone more credible posts something (Wojo, Broussard, Bucher or Stein)
You and I both

jezzyman05
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I think it's good that he stays in orlando, sign a 2 year extension, which will end when he is 28, if the FO dosen't come thur then leave.

JordansBulls
05-31-2011, 08:26 AM

I would love for Dwight to stay. If he can get a CP3 or even a Russell Westbrook that would do wonders for Dwight.

MagicBucsSox
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM
I applaued Dwight for wanting to stay in Orlando, I think it's good for him to stay in Orlando.

Now Paul to Orlando will never happen, Im sorry but Tim Duncan was just as good, if not a better player during his prime and not one star free agent wanted to come to San Antonio, Jason Kidd was close until that stupid wife of his (now he regrets that decision), what makes you think Howard will be any different, CP3, if he leaves New Orleans will be bound for New York to join up with Carmelo and Stat. The only way for Howard to win a title is for the FO to build around him which they have failed to do for the last 7 years.

Thi has to stop. Duncan always had help and a team around him. Tony p, Manu, Steve jax, Turk, Derek Anderson, horry finley, like that list goes on. He's always had an all star. Elliott, admiral, Parker Manu on his team. Orlando's only other all stars made it for 3pt shooting.

Spare me the Duncan comparison. Plus the spurs know how to draft unlike Otis Smith

eugene
05-31-2011, 08:40 AM
One of the brightest and respectful decisions made by NBA player over the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure he will be able to gather some talent around him and have a shot to numerous NBA titles...

jockrider
05-31-2011, 08:40 AM
oh yeah!!!!!
cause orlando has soooooooo atractive assets fo trade for paul, great contracts of young stars yeah!

UNLESS STERN DECIDES THAT HE WANTS DWIGHT TO STAY AND THUS MAKES A HORRIBLE TRADE OF CP TO ORLANDO

it wont happen.

Dwights as good as gone.

To the Lakers for bynum if The mAgic are wise
To the Knicks ,Nets or Celtics FOR FREE if the Magic are Stubborn and Stupid

how is it wise to trade him for a often injured big man?

Young and Stupid
05-31-2011, 08:41 AM
I don't understand the reaction that this is receiving. Sure if Dwight stays he's displaying a strong sense of loyalty, as well as going against the recent trend of leaving your team only to team up with other stars; but he's also effectively wasting a good chunk of his career.

Do we really want to watch a player who has the potential to be one of the best centers in the history of the NBA waste his prime playing on a team with minimal help? With the way the NBA landscape is shifting now, you're not going to be able to win with just one elite-level player. If Howard signs that extension then he's essentially signing a death certificate for the next four seasons of his career.

I, for one, would not be happy if he chose to remain with the Magic. I think that the general public is overreacting to LeBron's decision to take his talents to South Beach. Sure we'd prefer that players stay with their teams, but only if said teams can put those players in position to compete. What is all this "he's making a respectful, mature and honorable decision?" That's bull****.

Is it loyal? Sure. Is it good for the NBA and for Dwight Howard? No. The Magic are not going to be able to add any significant pieces even if they're able to use an amnesty clause on Gilbert Arenas -- Otis Smith is stuck.

Are we sure that we should be jubilant about one of the league's best players signing his way into purgatory?

JOSKOMANG4
05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
- Bass, Nelson, & 2 future 1st rd picks for CP3!

C) Howard/??
PF) Anderson/Orton/Allen
SF) Turk/Clark
SG) Arenas/Reddick/Q
PG) CP3/Duhon

Not a bad looking team IMO.. possible 4-5 seed in the East; could overhaul Atlanta

MagicHero3
05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
wow look how mad everyone is bc dwight is staying in ORL. sorry to ruin your hopes and dreams of havin Howard in YOUR town, cuz it aint happenin. Hes stayin. enjoy your bitterness

Hellcrooner
05-31-2011, 09:10 AM
^let me get it straight You happy caus ehe woudl resign 2 years? wich means he already has his eyes in bumping out of town anyway?

tbomlad
05-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Now that Dwight is staying, ORL/MIA will be the matchup in ECF for years to come. As for the overrated/overachieving Bulls, they must get a superstar to play with Rose or else they're definitely a one year wonder.

FNM BOY
05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Once he doesnt go to LA...its good with me!!! LOL...Howard realizes what Kobe does to his big men :D...form ya own path bro...i'm with you.

SteBO
05-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Hedo Turkoglu needs to go, and go now!! It's clear to me that Dwight doesn't have any intentions of leaving ORL at the moment, but it isn't out of the question either. All I know is that Hedo and Arenas need to be moved, but I don't see how they do it. If they could find a way to get CP3, that would be awesome for the Magic.

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2011, 09:32 AM
A twitter link about him working on a deal.

Nothing to negotiate...he would get a max deal. If he wants to sign its a simple deal.

I don't doubt he would like to stay but I doubt he believes this team is near a title. If this was true the max deal would be offered and signed with no real negotiation necessary.

tbomlad
05-31-2011, 09:44 AM
I don't understand the reaction that this is receiving. Sure if Dwight stays he's displaying a strong sense of loyalty, as well as going against the recent trend of leaving your team only to team up with other stars; but he's also effectively wasting a good chunk of his career.

Do we really want to watch a player who has the potential to be one of the best centers in the history of the NBA waste his prime playing on a team with minimal help? With the way the NBA landscape is shifting now, you're not going to be able to win with just one elite-level player. If Howard signs that extension then he's essentially signing a death certificate for the next four seasons of his career.

I, for one, would not be happy if he chose to remain with the Magic. I think that the general public is overreacting to LeBron's decision to take his talents to South Beach. Sure we'd prefer that players stay with their teams, but only if said teams can put those players in position to compete. What is all this "he's making a respectful, mature and honorable decision?" That's bull****.

Is it loyal? Sure. Is it good for the NBA and for Dwight Howard? No. The Magic are not going to be able to add any significant pieces even if they're able to use an amnesty clause on Gilbert Arenas -- Otis Smith is stuck.

Are we sure that we should be jubilant about one of the league's best players signing his way into purgatory?

Dude relax. With the upcoming changes made by the CBA alot can happen between now and the start of next season. Dwight loves playing and living in ORL just like every other player, not named Shaq (and only because he actually thought he was a rapper), who has played for the Magic. In fact, when Magic players are traded or released they still don"t leave Orlando. The one thing thing the Magic do have on their side is that most players want to play there so if the new CBA gives Otis some wiggle room things can change very quickly.

mgsports
05-31-2011, 09:50 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine The Magic get better but Hornets Worser.

MagicHero3
05-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Hedo Turkoglu needs to go, and go now!! It's clear to me that Dwight doesn't have any intentions of leaving ORL at the moment, but it isn't out of the question either. All I know is that Hedo and Arenas need to be moved, but I don't see how they do it. If they could find a way to get CP3, that would be awesome for the Magic.

100% agree. get rid of hedo

Rivera
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
yessir i am hoping this is true i didnt want to revisit shaq 2.0 or lebron 2.0 good to see dwight stay

now to somehow grab cp3 and we would be all set

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Not happy about it but if it's true it is what it is

jezzyman05
05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
Thi has to stop. Duncan always had help and a team around him. Tony p, Manu, Steve jax, Turk, Derek Anderson, horry finley, like that list goes on. He's always had an all star. Elliott, admiral, Parker Manu on his team. Orlando's only other all stars made it for 3pt shooting.

Spare me the Duncan comparison. Plus the spurs know how to draft unlike Otis Smith

You obviously didn't get my post, my post wasn't to bash the magic, nor Dwight Howard (They are my second favorite team) it was to say that it going to be hard for Orlando to get star free agents....what makes Howard think that he is going to get star players to play in Orlando (even with the Arenas, and turk contracts up) in order for the Magic to be a title contender they are going to have to build it thur the draft and with them consistenly drafting at the bottom of the rounds it going to be tough.

lvlheaded
05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
If D12 stays look for D-Will to be the one that finds his way to Orlando. Everyone keeps talking about CP3 going there but his team is at least playoff contenders. I could see D-Will telling the Nets Dwight was your only chance and feeling for Orlando

Margie
05-31-2011, 10:00 AM
Good now all those phoney so called Lakers fans can wake up from their dream! It's over.

Str1fe5
05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey good for Dwight. The Magic might be able to amnesty Arenas and Hedo's contract, while bad, isn't cripplingly bad if the Magic aren't afraid to go over the cap (which they're not).

The only chip they have to get another star is Jamir Nelson though, really. Wonder if it will be enough? Perhaps CP3 puts the Carmelo treatment on the Hornets and the Hornets just go and get Nelson and picks because that's all they can do?

Some Bulls fans might say this sucks but I don't. It puts the Howard to the Bulls stuff to rest, at least for a couple years and we can focus on just fixing our SG position...

jezzyman05
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Dude relax. With the upcoming changes made by the CBA alot can happen between now and the start of next season. Dwight loves playing and living in ORL just like every other player, not named Shaq (and only because he actually thought he was a rapper), who has played for the Magic. In fact, when Magic players are traded or released they still don"t leave Orlando. The one thing thing the Magic do have on their side is that most players want to play there so if the new CBA gives Otis some wiggle room things can change very quickly.

Totally agree I believe the big market thing is overrated, San Antonio is the same way ever player thats traded from here doesn't leave here (i.e. Finley, Horry, Rose, Anderson to name a few). Jason Kidd and gone on the record saying that turning down the San Antonio offer to stay with the Nets is still one of his biggest regrets. I totally believe Orlando like San Antonio is a awesome place to live and why players don't want to leave.

jezzyman05
05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Good now all those phoney so called Lakers fans can wake up from their dream! It's over.

I wish that can happen but knowing them they are moving on to Chris Paul.....

tbomlad
05-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Three letters- CBA (Amnesty Clause)

SteBO
05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Three letters- CBA (Amnesty Clause)

Okay :p

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm going to repeat and restate what I said in the other thread.

He is a max deal player there is nothing to negotiate. They had a ton of time to get a max deal signed. If Dwight wants to be back he just needs to sign a max deal. I don't buy this, I don't doubt that he likes the city and might have a sense of loyalty but this is a simple deal to make if the player wants it.

cutiepie80
05-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Lmao. I love how people are saying get rid of Hedo. There is no chance of Hedo or Gilbert being dealt which means the magi have NO CHANCE of getting a star pg. Lmao at Nelson, bass, and two picks for cp3. Delusional I tell ya. Magic screwed themselves with terrible contracts.

IndyFan
05-31-2011, 10:30 AM
i don't get why people are surprised that Howard is doing this. This extension will pay him $20M/yr for the next 4 yrs. If he opted out of his old contract and signed after the new CBA, he would be looking at close to $10M/yr max contract. Do the math. By extending now, Howard is basically doubling his salary over the next 4 yrs.

to use the popular example, LA is nice, but is it worth giving up $10M/yr more than he can get in orlando? :shrug:

Confusious
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
Neither did LeBron James. I think with another year, he's going to look at what KG did, and what LeBron did (ESPECIALLY if the Heat win the title this year), and realize that he doesn't have much of a choice. It's an opportunity that doesn't happen often.

If he wants to stay, I will respect the hell out of him, much more for leaving. I just don't think it's in HIS best interest. If he were to team up with his fast don't lie partner... well... let's just say I'd be 100% gayer around the forums.

m26555
05-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Neither did LeBron James. I think with another year, he's going to look at what KG did, and what LeBron did (ESPECIALLY if the Heat win the title this year), and realize that he doesn't have much of a choice. It's an opportunity that doesn't happen often.

If he wants to stay, I will respect the hell out of him, much more for leaving. I just don't think it's in HIS best interest. If he were to team up with his fast don't lie partner... well... let's just say I'd be 100% gayer around the forums.
KG didn't do anything. Minnesota simply traded him...

Confusious
05-31-2011, 10:38 AM
KG didn't do anything. Minnesota simply traded him...
Oh really? Originally he rejected the trade because he would have left the Celtics after the last year of the contract expired. But he got over that.

Why do you think they traded him in the first place? :eyebrow:

m26555
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Oh really? Originally he rejected the trade because he would have left them after the last year of the contract expired. But he got over that.

Why do you think they traded him in the first place? :eyebrow:
:facepalm:

Garnett NEVER asked out of Minnesota. Why did they trade him you ask? Ever hear of rebuilding? He actually asked the Wolves for a contract extension when he heard they were about to deal him, but they said no to him.

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Garnett NEVER asked out of Minnesota. Why did they trade him you ask? Ever hear of rebuilding? He actually asked the Wolves for a contract extension when he heard they were about to deal him, but they said no to him.

your source?

avrpatsfan
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Great for the NBA if this is true. I couldn't stand to see him on the Lakers or the Heat.

m26555
05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
your source?
I read about it right when Minnesota was about to trade him in the summer of '07. You really think I'm going to be able to give you the source now? I don't need to give you a source anyway, because I'm POSITIVE; just take my word for it.

Garnett never asked out of Minnesota.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Dwight is trying not to be the bad guy here. It's pretty obvious.

I'm not trying to run behind nobody like Shaq or be behind somebody else. I want to start my own path and I want people to follow my path and not just follow somebody else's path. I want to have my own path, and I want to start that here in Orlando. But I can't do it alone. Not only do I need the right teammates, but I need the city behind me. That's the only way it's going to get done. We can change this small city that we have — this small market that we have — and we can make it a big market.

Granted, he has a right to be upset with the lack of support (at least Otis has tried and actually done something, as opposed to guys like Gilbert). That's fine.

This whole "the city needs to be behind me" is crap. Of course the city is behind you. The only reason the city speculates so much is because they're concerned. The only reason the fans talk trade is because of that same concern.

Referencing how Orlando is a small market makes me feel he's just doing some preemptive damage control as well.

He's just setting himself up to leave and not look like the bad guy here. I do believe that he ultimately is interested in staying, but I do also believe that given the right situation, he won't turn it down. He's seen how fans turn on their players when they leave, and I just don't think he wants that to happen.

I mean, he keeps talking about this city behind him stuff...

And I want the Magic to do whatever they can to make sure that we can get our city behind us. That's the only thing that I want to happen: just to have the city behind me and the support of our fans. I never said I was leaving. I never, ever thought about leaving. That's basically where my head is right now. I never said anything to them [the Magic] about what my plans were because that's not what I'm focused on right now.

I just want to become better. I want to win a championship. I just felt bad losing in the first round and I just want to make sure that our team has a chance to win a championship next year.

I don't get it. His manager does admit he wants to stay, however.

Mixed messages, I guess. That's what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm digging too deep.

Link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-dwight-howard-0531-20110530,0,2026832.story)

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread...

Slimsim
05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Dam was hoping if he didn't become a Knick he would go to the west coast.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 10:54 AM
Posted this in the other Dwight thread before I saw this....

I'm not trying to run behind nobody like Shaq or be behind somebody else. I want to start my own path and I want people to follow my path and not just follow somebody else's path. I want to have my own path, and I want to start that here in Orlando. But I can't do it alone. Not only do I need the right teammates, but I need the city behind me. That's the only way it's going to get done. We can change this small city that we have — this small market that we have — and we can make it a big market.

Granted, he has a right to be upset with the lack of support (at least Otis has tried and actually done something, as opposed to guys like Gilbert). That's fine.

This whole "the city needs to be behind me" is crap. Of course the city is behind you. The only reason the city speculates so much is because they're concerned. The only reason the fans talk trade is because of that same concern.

Referencing how Orlando is a small market makes me feel he's just doing some preemptive damage control as well.

He's just setting himself up to leave and not look like the bad guy here. I do believe that he ultimately is interested in staying, but I do also believe that given the right situation, he won't turn it down. He's seen how fans turn on their players when they leave, and I just don't think he wants that to happen.

And I want the Magic to do whatever they can to make sure that we can get our city behind us. That's the only thing that I want to happen: just to have the city behind me and the support of our fans. I never said I was leaving. I never, ever thought about leaving. That's basically where my head is right now. I never said anything to them [the Magic] about what my plans were because that's not what I'm focused on right now.

I just want to become better. I want to win a championship. I just felt bad losing in the first round and I just want to make sure that our team has a chance to win a championship next year.

He has always said he doesn't want to be like Shaq, but let's see if he can resist the temptation when the temptation becomes more attainable.

Confusious
05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

And he still rejected the trade until Boston acquired Ray Allen. Interesting, isn't it?

Link (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-magic-dwight-howard-0531-20110530,0,2026832.story)

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread...
It's very clear to me that things are in motion. He's handling it a lot better than the Carmelo bullcrap. I think that's why people can't see the writing on the wall. It's there. He's paving the way to leave. If he wasn't, he'd sign that contract extension. But he hasn't, and he won't. Why isn't something credible reporting it?

Some people...

m26555
05-31-2011, 10:55 AM
And he still rejected the trade until Boston acquired Ray Allen. Interesting, isn't it?
Um, okay? And? At that point, he KNEW Minnesota was going to trade him and he had just accepted the fact that it was going to happen, so why the hell would he want to go to a team with no chance of winning then? ONCE AGAIN, because you're apparently too thickheaded to understand, he never came out and said, "I want out." I think I would know better than you, too, considering I was a Minnesota fan (yes, was; past tense) and you're a Chicago fan.

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
I read about it right when Minnesota was about to trade him in the summer of '07. You really think I'm going to be able to give you the source now? I don't need to give you a source anyway, because I'm POSITIVE; just take my word for it.

Garnett never asked out of Minnesota.

Ok so your source is a 4 year old memory. Got it thanks for the clarification.

ULT WARRIOR408
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
This doesn't shock me.

m26555
05-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, a four-year old memory of a fan of the team. I think I would remember, bud. I guess you're also in the ignorant group of people who believes that KG asked out, too? Hilarious.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
But Minnesota has fired two coaches and not made the playoffs since. Garnett never said he was unhappy and never asked to be traded, but expressed frustration with some of McHale's personnel decisions and challenged him to upgrade the roster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2956103

Nothing about the contract extension he asked for, but is this enough to shut you up?

Confusious
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Um, okay? And? At that point, he KNEW Minnesota was going to trade him and he had just accepted the fact that it was going to happen, so why the hell would he want to go to a team with no chance of winning then? ONCE AGAIN, because you're apparently too thickheaded to understand, he never came out and said, "I want out." I think I would know better than you, too, considering I was a Minnesota fan (yes, was; past tense) and you're a Chicago fan.
LeBron never came out and said, "I want out." either. NEVER. But he acted differently after the playoff failure. That's why I brought both their names up. Dwight is a loyal guy, just like KG, but his true motives are pretty well known to anybody that can read through the lines, like LeBron. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

And I'm sure if he called up KG, his hero, and asked him advice on what he should do, KG would tell him flat out that loyalty didn't give him a championship. Being smart did.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:02 AM
LeBron never came out and said, "I want out." either. NEVER. But he acted differently after the playoff failure. That's why I brought both their names up. Dwight is a loyal guy, just like KG, but his true motives are pretty well known to anybody that can read through the lines, like LeBron. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

And I'm sure if he called up KG, his hero, and asked him advice on what he should do, KG would tell him flat out that loyalty didn't give him a championship. Being smart did.
No, LeBron just left the team as a free agent. He didn't HAVE to say he wanted out, because his actions proved it. You can't compare the two situations (Garnett and James). They are entirely different.

PhillyFaninLA
05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, a four-year old memory of a fan of the team. I think I would remember, bud. I guess you're also in the ignorant group of people who believes that KG asked out, too? Hilarious.

So I'm ignorant because I asked you for a source, you said you remember it and I should just believe someone I don't know on a message board because they are positive and also implying they know what happened behind closed door, and I thanked you for clarify your point.

You have a funny definition of ignorant.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
So I'm ignorant because I asked you for a source, you said you remember it and I should just believe someone I don't know on a message board because they are positive and also implying they know what happened behind closed door, and I thanked you for clarify your point.

You have a funny definition of ignorant.
Read my previous post which cites a source...

And yes, you are ignorant if you believe Garnett asked for a trade, because it was always clear as day that he never did.

Confusious
05-31-2011, 11:04 AM
No, LeBron just left the team as a free agent. He didn't HAVE to say he wanted out, because his actions proved it. You can't compare the two situations (Garnett and James). They are entirely different.
Guess what genius, Dwight's heading for free agency as well, but COULD be traded before that. Who knows?

I guess you just know everything, and I'm too thickheaded to get anything past you. :rolleyes:

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Guess what genius, Dwight's heading for free agency as well, but COULD be traded before that. Who knows?

I guess you just know everything, and I'm too thickheaded to get anything past you. :rolleyes:
What the hell does Dwight have to do with anything, genius? We're talking about Garnett right now. But yeah; just ignore the link I posted, too.

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM

That's the thing he has to realize that the team is strapped with bad contracts. How can they realistically make any moves?

Confusious
What the hell does Dwight have to do with anything, genius? We're talking about Garnett right now. But yeah; just ignore the link I posted, too.
See what topic we're in? It's about Dwight Howard. Which means you should probably get off the Garnett subject before you get a warning from a moderator.

Genius.

I ignored the fact that you're a bandwagon jumper. Keep at it, bro.

homestarunner93
That would be stupid for Dwight to waste two prime years by signing an extension. What if he gets hurt? He needs to wait and score a big deal after next year, whether it's in Orlando or elsewhere.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:09 AM
See what topic we're in? It's about Dwight Howard. Which means you should probably get off the Garnett subject before you get a warning from a moderator.

Genius.

I ignored the fact that you're a bandwagon jumper. Keep at it, bro.
1. I'm not blind. I can read. I understand this is a Dwight Howard topic, but YOU brought up Garnett, so I responded. The discussion we're having is entirely appropriate.

2. A bandwagon jumper is when you change favorite teams. I never changed favorite teams. I'm just neutral now (I admittedly do root for KG, though). And what does that have to do with anything anyway? :laugh2:

Confusious
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
That's the thing he has to realize that the team is strapped with bad contracts. How can they realistically make any moves?
I think he does realize it. Look at this past year, he's called out his teammates on separate occasions, even called out the coach. (Might have been a previous year, so don't hold my word on that too well, I'm just proving he's not as happy as some people think he is.)

1. I'm not blind. I can read. I understand this is a Dwight Howard topic, but YOU brought up Garnett, so I responded. The discussion we're having is entirely appropriate.

2. A bandwagon jumper is when you change favorite teams. I never changed favorite teams. I'm just neutral now (I admittedly do root for KG, though). And what does that have to do with anything anyway? :laugh2:
Maybe you are blind, I used KG as a name drop to elaborate further. Funny how you're the only one who seems to be getting on my case about it.

You said was, past tense. Meaning you don't cheer for them anymore, which just further hints to your blindness.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:13 AM
This would be great for the NBA. I'm glad D12 doesn't want to be like shaq and try to make his own mark. props to D12. Now its time for the CP3 to orlando rumors. If they get CP3, I think they will be a real contender IMO.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:14 AM
This would be great for the NBA. I'm glad D12 doesn't want to be like shaq and try to make his own mark. props to D12. Now its time for the CP3 to orlando rumors. If they get CP3, I think they will be a real contender IMO.
I agree with this. I believe that Dwight truly wants to stay in Orlando. I think it was fairly obvious that he didn't think too highly of James, Wade, and Bosh joining forces, so I don't see him leaving.

Confusious
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
How do they get Paul? Wait, let me guess. Nelson + Bass + 80 first round picks?

Ehhhhhh, not happenin'.

KnicksR4Real
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
goof for him

SteBO
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
To answer the question that was brought up, I don't think KG ever asked out of Minnesota. The Wolves knew from the getgo that KG probably wouldn't wanna be part of a rebuilding process, so they sent him to Boston, outside the Western Conference, for a chance to win. Nothing wrong with that at all.

KnicksR4Real
Dam was hoping if he didn't become a Knick he would go to the west coast.

i agree

m26555
I think he does realize it. Look at this past year, he's called out his teammates on separate occasions, even called out the coach. (Might have been a previous year, so don't hold my word on that too well, I'm just proving he's not as happy as some people think he is.)

Maybe you are blind, I used KG as a name drop to elaborate further. Funny how you're the only one who seems to be getting on my case about it.

You said was, past tense. Meaning you don't cheer for them anymore, which just further hints to your blindness.
You used KG as a name drop, but it was a bad use of it because Garnett, once again because it appears you are the one who is COMPLETELY blind, never asked out of Minnesota. Because of that, I responded to correct you, and even when I posted a source saying he never asked out, you still kept on it. Nice.

Also, that's not a bandwagon fan. That's a fairweather fan. A bandwagon fan is when you jump from one team to another. I never did that. I just got fed up with the Wolves after all those years, and rightfully so.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
To answer the question that was brought up, I don't think KG ever asked out of Minnesota. The Wolves knew from the getgo that KG probably wouldn't wanna be part of a rebuilding process, so they sent him to Boston, outside the Western Conference, for a chance to win. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Thank. You.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Lmao. I love how people are saying get rid of Hedo. There is no chance of Hedo or Gilbert being dealt which means the magi have NO CHANCE of getting a star pg. Lmao at Nelson, bass, and two picks for cp3. Delusional I tell ya. Magic screwed themselves with terrible contracts.

Not really. If CP3 really wants out and he pulls a melo, it will get done somehow. Plus there is no reason to hate Orlando.... if it was miami I could understand.

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 11:18 AM

Yea I think it's obvious that he's not as happy as ppl think. His preference maybe to stay a Magic but he can't seriously think it's the right move to re-up with a team that can't make moves.

SteBO
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Thank. You.

I think it's nonsense to think he did ask out. KG wasn't very vocal about it, and seemed surprised to me based on his quotes after the trade went down. I don't see any evidence to think KG asked out of Minny. I give the Wolves full credit for giving KG an opportunity to win and not put him in a position to do some damage, only hurting the organization and himself. It worked out for the best on both sides. I know MIN sucks now, but the state they're in now was inevitable anyway.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:20 AM

You have it right. KG didn't demand a trade out of minnesota. I don't know where these delusional rumors came from. People can look it up if they don't believe me. I remember that trade like it was yesterday. The wolves did the smart thing knowing KG wasn't going to resign. They got youth and picks to start rebuilding.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:21 AM
How do they get Paul? Wait, let me guess. Nelson + Bass + 80 first round picks?

Ehhhhhh, not happenin'.

I didn't say anything like that so don't put words in my mouth.

m26555
05-31-2011, 11:22 AM
I think it's nonsense to think he did ask out. KG wasn't very vocal about it, and seemed surprised to me based on his quotes after the trade went down. I don't see any evidence to think KG asked out of Minny. I give the Wolves full credit for giving KG an opportunity to win and not put him in a position to do some damage, only hurting the organization and himself. It worked out for the best on both sides. I know MIN sucks now, but the state they're in now was inevitable anyway.
:clap:

Apparently, there are some logical people on PSD.

KnicksorBust
05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
In the short term, he's saving himself from a huge dramatic headache and making himself look great in the eyes of the majority of fans across the nation.

In the long term, he's staying with a team that doesn't currently have the pieces to compete and is strapped with overpaid players on long deals.

Tough call.

Slimsim
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
IF I'm a orlando fan you would hope D 12 take the melo approach and let the organization Know that He want out so the magics can get young talent and picks to rebuild like Denver. D 12 not wanting to look like a bad guy or follower could hurt Orlando more than ever if he walks and orlando gets nothing.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:30 AM

What is it totally unheard of that people have good memory? good job. :clap:

ManRam
05-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I merged the two threads together, since both were about him potentially signing an extension.

However, there is no doubt in my mind that he's NOT signing an extension any time soon.

ne3xchamps
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
^ also, who knows if it is possible because their contracts are up after this CBA expires. It all depends on the new CBA.

+1. Alot is weighing on the new CBA, whenever that will be.

GiantsSwaGG
05-31-2011, 12:03 PM
KG never asked for a trade and was shocked as well as everyone else was.

But DWIGHT staying makes more sense for him but they have to fire the HC and get rid of Hedo and Gilbert.

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 12:08 PM

But DWIGHT staying makes more sense for him but they have to fire the HC and get rid of Hedo and Gilbert.

Which is not going to be easy. I still don't understand the move for Arenas

pd1dish
05-31-2011, 12:11 PM
its nice that he wants to stick it out with his current team, however, Orlando has failed time and time again at putting the necessary pieces around him. this could just be another 2 years of Dwights career gone without competing for the title.

maybe he is confident that CP3 or Deron Williams will go to Orlando. who knows what all these players have been conspiring

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:12 PM

I don't see Stan getting fired. Dwight doesn't have an issue with SVG. That's not the problem with this team.

Getting rid of Hedo and Gil is no simple task...not at all.

It probably will take a few years to get back to a good cap situation.

Mile High Champ
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Sounds good to me.. I knew Dwight with stay in Orlando. Yes it is not a given yet but Howard is certainly saying all the right things. Great move for Dwight and I am happy for the city of Orlando.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Pooh? (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4197) D12 is gonna be a King!

:p

:puke:

that guy sucks

DeyAce
05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
2 words damage control

Mile High Champ
05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
In the short term, he's saving himself from a huge dramatic headache and making himself look great in the eyes of the majority of fans across the nation.

In the long term, he's staying with a team that doesn't currently have the pieces to compete and is strapped with overpaid players on long deals.

Tough call.

Yes indeed, the very difficult things to way and look at if I am Howard. I do think the Magic can be fixed and all is not list in turning around some of those bad contracts they have.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:27 PM
2 words damage control

I agree. I'm not too optimistic about what he said honestly. I think he's trying to build up a case to leave, by continually question the fan and local media's support (of course the ****ing want Dwight back, they're just worried), remarking about the team's current state, the size of the market, and so on.

He's trying not to make it look as bad if he leaves. He doesn't want to be evil-looking. It is preemptive damage control.

NYman15
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Good for Dwight. As a Knicks fan I never really thought he was coming here but I dont understand all the Cp3 talk and D-will talk, they dont have a lot of assets and I dont see Paul doing what melo did in saying orlando or bust because orlando has no cap and Paul has other options that can be just as good like NY, LA, maybe OKC. But good for Dwight.

Baller1
05-31-2011, 12:30 PM
How long are Gilbert's and Hedo's contracts as of now?

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:32 PM
How long are Gilbert's and Hedo's contracts as of now?

Gil has three more years left. He'll make about $20M each year.
Hedo also has three years left. He'll make about $11M each year.

Each actually have player options (Gil's actually is after this next season) but I can't see either exercising that option.

Tuck&Rolle
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
:clap: to Dwight

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree. I'm not too optimistic about what he said honestly. I think he's trying to build up a case to leave, by continually question the fan and local media's support (of course the ****ing want Dwight back, they're just worried), remarking about the team's current state, the size of the market, and so on.

He's trying not to make it look as bad if he leaves. He doesn't want to be evil-looking. It is preemptive damage control.

That's the thing that's weird why question the support of the city. I haven't heard on Magic fan that wants Dwight to leave.

Baller1
05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Gil has three more years left. He'll make about $20M each year.
Hedo also has three years left. He'll make about $11M each year.

Each actually have player options (Gil's actually is after this next season) but I can't see either exercising that option.

Holy ****! I didn't know Gilbert was making that much. Ouch.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:40 PM
That's the thing that's weird why question the support of the city. I haven't heard on Magic fan that wants Dwight to leave.

Of course no Magic fan wants him to leave. The media doesn't either. I really think Dwight criticizing the media and kind of the fans (he hasn't dissed them really) is just damage control and looking for easy outs and ways not to be blamed.

We're just worried. The media is allowed to speculate...speculating does not equal "wanting him out".

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Of course no Magic fan wants him to leave. The media doesn't either. I really think Dwight criticizing the media and kind of the fans (he hasn't dissed them really) is just damage control and looking for easy outs and ways not to be blamed.

We're just worried. The media is allowed to speculate...speculating does not equal "wanting him out".

Very well said. BTW Pat Williams was on a NY radio station and touched on the subject. He said nothing is imminent in terms of Dwight signing but he felt Magic fans should fell good about the situation after reading the article.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Holy ****! I didn't know Gilbert was making that much. Ouch.

He is loved by Otis Smith, that's the only reason he's here. Otis let personal friendships cloud his reason. Lewis, granted, was playing terribly and was completely non-effective (him leaving was addition by subtraction as it allowed Bass and Anderson to play more), but Gil is a bum. Otis had been trying to get him for years and years, and finally had a chance and did it. I wish he didn't.

Gil is basically the only contract that makes Lewis' look like a complete bargain. 3 more years, about 63 million left.

beasted86
05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
He is loved by Otis Smith, that's the only reason he's here. Otis let personal friendships cloud his reason. Lewis, granted, was playing terribly and was completely non-effective (him leaving was addition by subtraction as it allowed Bass and Anderson to play more), but Gil is a bum. Otis had been trying to get him for years and years, and finally had a chance and did it. I wish he didn't.

Gil is basically the only contract that makes Lewis' look like a complete bargain. 3 more years, about 63 million left.
Gilbert wasn't healthy this season, and to top that off he came into the season out of shape expecting to play on a rebuilding Wizards team.

Back in the beginning of the 09-10 season with the Wizards before the gun incident, we saw what he is capable of at about 80% and motivated. He will be a key reserve for the Magic if he can even get back to that 80% health, and come into camp in shape and motivated. He'll have a long summer to do it, let's see if he has the work ethic to get back into the gym with Tim Grover and find his game again.

Hedo on the other hand is a lost cause. He'll never be close to the same.

DeyAce
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM

Exactly

JordansBulls
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM
^let me get it straight You happy caus ehe woudl resign 2 years? wich means he already has his eyes in bumping out of town anyway?

This assures that he won't go to LA. Also it assures him on where he can go if Orlando doesn't get better. With this move he puts pressure on Orlando to do something. If they bring no one, then he is gone and would have a better idea if he wants NY, Chi, OKC, NO, LAL, etc.

Baller1
05-31-2011, 01:00 PM

That's so unfortunate... And at least Rashard added some sort of value (very minimal) when he was healthy. I can't believe Otis was legitimately okay with the idea of taking on that contract. Huge mistake.

Nice sig by the way. :laugh: reminds me of Von Wafer's missed dunk this year.

Baller1
05-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Gilbert wasn't healthy this season, and to top that off he came into the season out of shape expecting to play on a rebuilding Wizards team.

Back in the beginning of the 09-10 season with the Wizards before the gun incident, we saw what he is capable of at about 80% and motivated. He will be a key reserve for the Magic if he can even get back to that 80% health, and come into camp in shape and motivated. He'll have a long summer to do it, let's see if he has the work ethic to get back into the gym with Tim Grover and find his game again.

That's very optimistic thinking. It's possible he can add some value to the Magic next season, but I'd say that's very doubtful.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

Gil hasn't been good in 4 years. I have no hope.

Even in 09-10, he still just showed how inefficient he is. 22 points on 19 shots isn't amazing. 4 assists to 2.5 TOs. Sub 30% shooting from three, 41% from the field. Poor defense...

I hope he still has it...I just have my major doubts. He is, however, working with probably the best NBA trainer this off-season. Hopefully that helps his chances.

I'm just not getting optimistic. Maybe on a good team his efficiency will jump, but I doubt it.

The guy had no burst. He couldn't get around a tree if you put a tree in front of him, let alone an NBA defender. He was scared to jump. I'd almost be surprised if he could dunk.

MCSJR2
i really think this is BS...going to L.A. is so D. Howard...

TragicallyHip
Great news! Good for Dwight, good for Orlando and more importantly, good for overall league pairity.

beasted86
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
That's very optimistic thinking. It's possible he can add some value to the Magic next season, but I'd say that's very doubtful.

Gil hasn't been good in 4 years. I have no hope.

Even in 09-10, he still just showed how inefficient he is. 22 points on 19 shots isn't amazing. 4 assists to 2.5 TOs. Sub 30% shooting from three, 41% from the field. Poor defense...

I hope he still has it...I just have my major doubts. He is, however, working with probably the best NBA trainer this off-season. Hopefully that helps his chances.

I'm just not getting optimistic. Maybe on a good team his efficiency will jump, but I doubt it.

The guy had no burst. He couldn't get around a tree if you put a tree in front of him, let alone an NBA defender. He was scared to jump. I'd almost be surprised if he could dunk.

It's optimistic, but I don't think it's "very" optimistic.

Gilbert had a negative impact for both the Wizards & Magic this year. He was negative on +/- for the entire season according to 82games. Doing some further research on 82games, as far back as it lets me search, Arenas hasn't had a negative impact on his team, ever... even during his injury seasons dating all the way back to 04-05 and the gun incident 26 win Wizards team last year. Whether you like the 21 points on 19 shots, his team was still benefited while he was on the floor.

It could just be an anomaly season if he gets back into shape and can stay healthy.

Chi StateOfMind
05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I respect Dwight no matter what his decision is. It's his choice and no one elses. The only thing I hope he doesn't do is become so loyal that he's afraid to leave b/c of being hated. KG & LeBron left b/c they wanted to win and couldn't win with their original team. Another thing is I wouldn't sign the extension until some roster changes are made showing me that the orginization is dedicated to winning and not just for the two years but beyond two years.

Hope everything works out for D12 but I don't think this may be the best decision unless he gets some major help. CP3 or D-Will for examples.

JordansBulls
05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Would getting Westbrook be good enough for the Magic, or would CP3 be the only thing that keeps Orlando in contention?

Baller1
05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
Would getting Westbrook be good enough for the Magic, or would CP3 be the only thing that keeps Orlando in contention?

Orlando isn't getting Westbrook without giving up Dwight.

As much fun as it is to talk about those two players in trade talks, it's never going to happen.

Baller1
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
It's optimistic, but I don't think it's "very" optimistic.

Gilbert had a negative impact for both the Wizards & Magic this year. He was negative on +/- for the entire season according to 82games. Doing some further research on 82games, as far back as it lets me search, Arenas hasn't had a negative impact on his team, ever... even during his injury seasons dating all the way back to 04-05 and the gun incident 26 win Wizards team last year. Whether you like the 21 points on 19 shots, his team was still benefited while he was on the floor.

It could just be an anomaly season if he gets back into shape and can stay healthy.

Fair enough. I just think it's a longshot personally.

If he can even become half the player he once was, then I'll agree with you that he can add some value to the team. But regardless, he'll never be worth that contract.

MJ-BULLS
05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
So it seams like this guy isnt really a reliable source.

Lets see what happens.

MagicHero3
05-31-2011, 02:07 PM
this guy? when you say "this guy" are you talking about Dwight? bc Dwight said he wants to stay here...so...thats the only source u really need. quit hoping ppl bc Dwight is staying in Orlando

Raoul Duke
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
If this is true then Howard is totally thinking with his heart and not his head. I can't see that team being anything more than a middle-of-the-road playoff team for at least three years unless they can move one of their albatross type contracts, and the only way that's happening is if they package said contract with a great player, and they only have one of those, and his name is Dwight Howard.

ManRam
05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
this guy? when you say "this guy" are you talking about Dwight? bc Dwight said he wants to stay here...so...thats the only source u really need. quit hoping ppl bc Dwight is staying in Orlando

I think he's referring to the very first post in this thread...

DoMeFavors
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM

Why are you in denial? Seems like you are very defensive when it comes to this issue. If Magic dont upgrade from Hedo and Arenas, because they are in cap hell expect him to leave. Orlando will be that team that hovers around 4-6 seed but doesnt make it out of 2nd round.

Young and Stupid
05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Great news! Good for Dwight, good for Orlando and more importantly, good for overall league pairity.

(Note: This isn't directed at you individually, but instead to the general population of people claiming that this is "good for the NBA.")

Oh, stop it. That's what the NBA has always been -- every season there are only three or four legit title contenders. It's the nature of the NBA; having four super-teams is in the best interest of the NBA and the best interest of entertainment. Would small-market teams suffer? Sure. But would the level of net entertainment be increased? Without a doubt. I'm a Nets fan, even if it meant the Nets losing Deron Williams -- which I'm 99.9% sure won't happen -- I would be in favor of it, if it increased entertainment. That's all the NBA is -- a form of entertainment.

Over the last fifteen years how many teams have won a championship? Six. Bulls, Spurs, Lakers, Pistons, Heat and Celtics?

How many have won more than one? Three. Bulls, Lakers and Spurs.

To extend on that, how many teams have won more than one championship over the last sixty years? Seven. The Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Knicks, Celtics, Rockets and Pistons.

Fifteen of the league's thirty teams have yet to win a championship in their history. If you look at every professional sport, the National Basketball Association has the least parity. It's always been that way -- LeBron and Bosh going to Miami didn't change anything. If you have any knowledge of NBA history, you're aware that all the past champions had extremely stacked teams. The Celtics of the 60's, early 70's and early to mid 80's; the Lakers of the 80's and early 00's and the Bulls of the 90's.

The NBA has always been a top-heavy league; those who claim that LeBron's decision will have an irreversible effect are proving to be unknowledgeable. LeBron teaming up with Wade is no different than Bird having McHale and Parish; or Russell having Hondo, Heinsohn and Jones; Magic having Kareem and Worthy; or Jordan having Pippen and Rodman; or Kobe having Shaq. That's why the criticism that LeBron receives is completely unwarranted and, in effect, comical.

We watch and go to the games, debate and discuss the sport, and invest countless (and useless) hours in the NBA because it serves as a form of entertainment. That's all it is. Dwight Howard joining a better team -- whether it be the Lakers, Nets, Bulls, Knicks or Mavericks -- increases the level of entertainment and is therefore better for the NBA.

unwantedplayer
05-31-2011, 02:29 PM
:clap: Twatter's the best

You so funny dood

bringinwood
05-31-2011, 02:38 PM
If it's true, it's not a bad move for Dwight...

He gets a 2 year deal at max salary locked in before the impending lockout occurs...

Not only that, he keeps his say in what path the organization takes... If they don't feel like fielding a winner in Orlando, Dwight can pull chalks and bail after two seasons...

Not a bad scenario for him...

4getboutit4
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
hey orlando fans.. cavs fans said lebron would never leave cleveland THIS IS HIS HOME... howd that go? u r very naive if you think that dwight will stay there, do u think he likes losing to crappy teams like the atlanta hawks? hahaha yaa im sure he loves seeing his team fail year in and year out... and now there the 2nd favorite team in florida, hes just saying that he doesnt want to leave right now so every1 calms down bc he realizes theres going to be a lockout, and even if he were to say he wants to be a laker or ne other team, what would it help bc he cant do nething about it at this moment.. i think hes just trying to make orlando fans feel relieved for a couple months. but dont b shocked when every1 in here is sayin i told u so when dwight leaves for a better future

DMasta718
05-31-2011, 02:44 PM
I laugh every time someone says parity.

Anyway, if this is true and he signs the extension, I hope Orlando does what it needs to do to get the players to come. With him working his extension for 2 years, I see it as a way he's giving them 2 seasons to put a team around him that could contend or at least has a future of becoming a top team.

I don't know if most people would agree with me but they should try and start Arenas next season as I see he would be a bit more comfortable.

MagicBucsSox
05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
The question everyone should be asking is WhAT DOES ORLANDO DO IF DERON AND PAUL DECIDE TO EXTEND FOR THEIR LAST BIG PAYDAYS AS WELL????

BigCityofDreams
05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
I laugh every time someone says parity.

Anyway, if this is true and he signs the extension, I hope Orlando does what it needs to do to get the players to come. With him working his extension for 2 years, I see it as a way he's giving them 2 seasons to put a team around him that could contend or at least has a future of becoming a top team.

I don't know if most people would agree with me but they should try and start Arenas next season as I see he would be a bit more comfortable.

I have the same reaction whenever I hear someone say "we need a franchise tag to keep these guys on the team longer" LOL seven yrs isn't long enough. Don't make it seem like Lebron and Co. are a bunch of one and doners.

LA_Raiders
05-31-2011, 03:11 PM
NBA is about super teams now. He needs to join a team with 2 all stars.

beasted86
05-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Fair enough. I just think it's a longshot personally.

If he can even become half the player he once was, then I'll agree with you that he can add some value to the team. But regardless, he'll never be worth that contract.

THAT, I can agree on.

But just being a positive impact player for the Magic would do a lot for the team. The only major piece I think the Magic are missing is a perimeter defender, which isn't that hard to come by. Only minor tweaking is needed to keep them in ECF discussion.

COOLbeans
05-31-2011, 03:25 PM
THAT, I can agree on.

But just being a positive impact player for the Magic would do a lot for the team. The only major piece I think the Magic are missing is a perimeter defender, which isn't that hard to come by. Only minor tweaking is needed to keep them in ECF discussion.

easy for you to say.

Southsideheat
05-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm Otis Smith. I went for a home run last year at the trade deadline and now i am in no position to win with contracts like Arenas, Hedo, not to mention how the new CBA will look like. In saying that, publically i might say we want to keep Howard but deep down i know its impossible because i can't surround him with anybody. I get in contact with Gar Foreman and trade Howard and Hedo, in return I receive Deng, Noah, Gibson, and 2 first rounders including the Bobcats unprotected pick in a few years.

A starting lineup with Nelson, Reddick, Deng, Gibson, Noah, will be just as good with Howard and a bunch of crap around him plus you have flexibility moving forward, and you avoid all the drama in between.

OR Otis Smith asked Howard to sign an extension and wait a 3-4 years before he can start competing for a title.

COOLbeans
05-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm Otis Smith. I went for a home run last year at the trade deadline and now i am in no position to win with contracts like Arenas, Hedo, not to mention how the new CBA will look like. In saying that, publically i might say we want to keep Howard but deep down i know its impossible because i can't surround him with anybody. I get in contact with Gar Foreman and trade Howard and Hedo, in return I receive Deng, Noah, Gibson, and 2 first rounders including the Bobcats unprotected pick in a few years.

A starting lineup with Nelson, Reddick, Deng, Gibson, Noah, will be just as good with Howard and a bunch of crap around him plus you have flexibility moving forward, and you avoid all the drama in between.

OR Otis Smith asked Howard to sign an extension and wait a 3-4 years before he can start competing for a title.

haha. that would be a sweet deal for Orlando. Too bad Chicago would never r8pe itself. This is too much to give up for Howard if Orlando is truly in a desperate situation as you say.

knicks=love
05-31-2011, 03:56 PM
Why are you in denial? Seems like you are very defensive when it comes to this issue. If Magic dont upgrade from Hedo and Arenas, because they are in cap hell expect him to leave. Orlando will be that team that hovers around 4-6 seed but doesnt make it out of 2nd round.

totally irrelevant to this thread, but your sig should be changed.. i believe we finished above you in the standings, and actually MADE the playoffs. yeah don't give me the "ok but you got swept in the 1st round to the celtics" ********. i'd rather get swept in the 1st round than not make the playoffs at all. don't be upset tonight watching kidd in the finals reminiscing from 2003. :D

but i do totally agree with what you're saying..

never thought i'd ever be doing that ^

KnicksR4Real
05-31-2011, 03:58 PM
good for him... someone being loyal

Southsideheat
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
haha. that would be a sweet deal for Orlando. Too bad Chicago would never r8pe itself. This is too much to give up for Howard if Orlando is truly in a desperate situation as you say.

Chicago would do that deal.

IBleedPurple
05-31-2011, 05:14 PM

this

ManRam
05-31-2011, 05:47 PM

I wouldn't call him loyal until he signs that extension. I see a lot of smoke and mirrors in this all.

Confusious
05-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Has he signed yet? No?

Then I don't buy the loyal talk.

believeinNYK
05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
It does seem like he's either genuine about staying or he might be trying to ease his way out so it won't be a big deal when he leaves because he justified it

stlbest5in2013
05-31-2011, 11:52 PM

let me get this straight he is still under contract for 2 more years, with an opt out clause after next season. which means he is under contract for 4 more years.

yep he is leaving

IT IS AN EXTENSION NOT A RESTRUCTURE OF HIS CURRENT DEAL

stlbest5in2013
05-31-2011, 11:55 PM

lol they can have booxer, and we will give them noah plus 2 picks not named the charlotte pick. then we would take howard and dumpoglu, then buy out dumpoglu

THE MTL
06-01-2011, 12:43 AM
If Howard was so worried about the lockout, he would have been signed an extension. He is def. gonna wait to see what Orlando can build around him. Cause his cast is a bunch of overpaid bums with ghastly contracts

John Walls Era
06-01-2011, 02:03 AM
@RealSkipBayless It's becoming clear that DHoward loves living in Orlando and does not want the enormous pressure that would go w/ being, say, Laker savior

Don't want to quote Skip, but anyone agreeing with this?

Sixerlover
06-01-2011, 02:08 AM
I could see that. But I have no problem if he goes or stays. I was just in Orlando for a week, it's beautiful down there I can understand wanting to live there instead of NY or Chicago and it's FLA so no taxes!

The outside of basketball reasons point towards staying, but on court screams leave. Unless he thinks he can will the team to the finals again.

stlbest5in2013
06-01-2011, 04:28 AM
Has he signed yet? No?

Then I don't buy the loyal talk.

only a fellow bulls fan would say something like this. let me guess you are under false hope that he is coming to chicago.

MagicBucsSox
06-01-2011, 05:31 AM
People keep bringing up LeBron leaving ....... But what about Duncan not leaving to form with Tmac and Grant, Dirk 13yrs deep, Wade recruiting,KG staying well in his 30s.....some guys face the challenge rather than run

YourTeamSucks
06-01-2011, 06:12 AM
good dont act like a ***** like lebron and run off to another superstars arms and ask him to help you win a championship

JordansBulls
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
People keep bringing up LeBron leaving ....... But what about Duncan not leaving to form with Tmac and Grant, Dirk 13yrs deep, Wade recruiting,KG staying well in his 30s.....some guys face the challenge rather than run

Duncan didn't leave also Tmac and Grant Hill were not top 10 players in 2000.