PDA

View Full Version : Jordan And Ewing?

ajnapoleon
05-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Michael Jordan almost became a New York Knick. In Spike Lee's book, Best Seat in the House, Spike tells the story of how in late 1996 he and MJ were driving back in MJ's Range Rover after shooting a commercial together. They talked about different players and coaches in the league and which teams had a good chance of winning the title. Spike asked MJ if there was ever a chance MJ and Phil Jackson could have left the Chicago Bulls and gone to New York. MJ replied, "There was a chance." Spike couldn't believe his ears. MJ went on to say, "Before I signed with Chicago last year, after we won, it came down to 30 minutes. New York was right downstairs. The Bulls---all they had to do was mess up." What Jordan meant by that is if Reinsdorf and the Bulls organization would have made an insulting offer MJ would have walked away and signed with the Knicks. Thankfully, the Bulls offered Jordan $30 million for a one year contract and the Championship streak continued."

KnicksR4Real
05-30-2011, 09:30 AM
?

Sly Guy
05-30-2011, 09:37 AM
meh, Ewing, unlike many of the stars of today, is nobody's Robin. I'm sure he would have spurred Jordan's interest in teaming up.

eugene
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
interesting how it would effect NBA... John Starks and Pippen vs Ewing and Jordan :D

JDMVP
05-30-2011, 09:47 AM
lol I guess you just won't walk away from 30 million, Pat Ewing and MJ would have been great for the NBA and of course the KNICKS. Would have been a sure 1 ring at least.

ajnapoleon
05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I found this very funny because jordan said he would never ever join another team or a top player in the nba.....

BigCityofDreams
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I found this very funny because jordan said he would never ever join another team or a top player in the nba.....

oops

minervamob
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM

He said he would have never done that to win a ring. He had already won 4 at the time and at this point in his career it was about the money. He would of won a ring on either team.

gotoHcarolina52
05-30-2011, 10:15 AM

Cue the flock of Bulls homers summoned in defense of their daddy's honor.

JasonJohnHorn
05-30-2011, 10:25 AM
The Knicks would have destroyed every team in the league with that roster. Jordan is an alpha male and a winner, Ewing would have fallen in line. Take a team that has already come close to beating the champs, and add the best player from that championship team to the contender and forget about it.

That said, what this story really says is that NY always comes in second. They missed out on Shaq. They missed out on Jordan. They missed out on LBJ. There are a number of players that they 'came close to getting'. I remember that the Knicks offered up a bunch of draft picks and some players to the Pistons for Thomas, and Davidson just asked Thomas if he wanted to retire a Piston, and Thomas said yes, he didnt want to go to NY. If Davidson had just taken the picks for a guy who was at retirement's door, then Thomas would have been a Knick. The Knicks are always calling up people with trades ideas, or calling up free agents. The bottom line: All the Knicks have gotten are second rate players: Francis, Starbury, Curry and McGrady? And they finished second in the LBJ and Bosh free agency period and ended up with Amare (who I think was better for them than Bosh would have been). And even in the trade this season, they gave up WAY too much, and all they got was a guy who isnt even as good as LBJ and Durant, and is older than both. And if you ask me, Pierce has been a better player throughout hsi career than has Melo.

When they are unlucky, NY gets above average players that cant cut it (Marbury, Francis, McGrady), when they are lucky, they get guys who are great, but not the best (Amare, Melo). For Knicks fans, we'll see how they make out with the Howard situation, but I imagine that Orlando will want something back in a trade, and will move Howard if they feel like he might be leaving. In that case, NY has nothing to offer, while LA, NJ and the Mavs all have multiple pieces to offer Orlando and can take on bad contracts like Arenas or Hedo. If Orlando plays their cards right, they could get LA or Dallas to take on Arenas AND Hedo! And with a center like Chandler or Bynum in the post, they would still have a strong defensive rebounder to build with. NY has nothing to offer.

jockrider
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
He said he would have never done that to win a ring. He had already won 4 at the time and at this point in his career it was about the money. He would of won a ring on either team.

:facepalm:

knicks_champ
05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Interesting.

Sixerlover
05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
They would have won rings until '98 when he retired, but he went with the Bulls and now this is just a what if instead of reality.

Max Power
05-30-2011, 10:48 AM
But then who would MJ have to dunk over on a consistent basis?

TheHighLife
05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Making up stories again...

ajnapoleon
05-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh... im not making it up http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_081201.html

Hawkeye15
05-30-2011, 12:10 PM

when? Last summer? If its said after his career is over, and because he sees it happening now, its not something we should take seriously. Its easy to say that after the fact.

nycericanguy
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
when? Last summer? If its said after his career is over, and because he sees it happening now, its not something we should take seriously. Its easy to say that after the fact.

I don't think Jordan would have ever teamed up with another star for the sole purpose of winning a ring.

He never had a great relationship with CHI management, if he had gone to NY it would not have been to chase rings IMO, it would have been because of his relationship with CHI FO and for more money. Jordan had already won 4 titles at the time and was probably the most competitive player in the league, he wanted to beat you, not join you.

shep33
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
I call BS, and not only that MJ won 3 straight with Chicago anyways.

Hawkeye15
05-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think Jordan would have ever teamed up with another star for the sole purpose of winning a ring.

He never had a great relationship with CHI management, if he had gone to NY it would not have been to chase rings IMO, it would have been because of his relationship with CHI FO and for more money. Jordan had already won 4 titles at the time and was probably the most competitive player in the league, he wanted to beat you, not join you.

I don't think he would have left either, but that wasn't my point. I just don't take is seriously when a player says he would or would not have done something well after the fact.

The second paragraph I more or less agree with.

ajnapoleon
05-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Here is something else i found..magic had a 20 year contract bird had a 15 year and jordan had a 12 year...meaning there really was not a free agency ...they was locked up...there was no fear of a player leaving. you mean to tell me in all those years wilkins was in atl the best they could do was a very old moses malone? sometimes you got to hold the front office accountable

JordansBulls
05-30-2011, 01:29 PM

It was a ploy. Ewing in 1996 was making something like 18 million that year while Jordan was making 4 million. So the idea was if the Knicks pay Ewing that much, then I want more than that and the Knicks would sure as hell pay me that.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-30-2011, 07:38 PM
I heard about this a few times already.