PDA

View Full Version : Who is going to stop Dirk? Meet the Candidates

gotoHcarolina52
05-29-2011, 10:57 AM
"He's going to make jump shots," coach Erik Spoelstra says. "He's a shot-maker."

Accepting this reality is half the battle if you're a defender charged with the responsibility of stopping -- or at least slowing -- Nowitzki.

In other words, you can't beat yourself up over those fadeaways that Nowitzki will drain despite your best efforts. Don't fall victim to frustration. While that seems like an easy enough task for a professional, managing the mental game, not falling victim to the hopelessness that naturally comes with feeling like you failed despite your best effort, might be the toughest part of the Nowitzki assignment.

Four Heat players will likely log shifts guarding Nowitzki: starting power forward Chris Bosh, Anthony, reserve big man Udonis Haslem and LeBron James. Each brings with him a different track record against Nowitzki and each has a varied portfolio of skills with which to tackle the challenge.

Bosh
Chris Bosh In terms of stature, Bosh's physical profile makes him the most natural cover for Nowitzki, at least from a physical standpoint. Bosh surrenders less height than any of the Heat's stable of defenders, and his ranginess will be a strong asset.

The Heat's primary strategy against Nowitzki on pick-and-rolls will be the "hard show," with the explicit goal of running him toward the rim. When Nowitzki flares off a screen at the top of the floor, the Heat would like to stay on top of him, which would push him toward the help defenders.

Bosh's pick-and-roll coverage has been one of the least heralded success stories of the Heat's ascendant defense. He has become Mr. Hard Show in the confines of the Heat's defense and will challenge the Mavericks on those high screens for Nowitzki.

Bosh did a reasonably good job on Nowitzki in the team's two meetings this season. Against Bosh, Nowitzki shot 6-for-14 from the field, and drew two fouls on Bosh -- both in transition. Nowitzki beat Bosh not so much in the post or on the pick-and-roll, but with a couple of clever off-ball dives to the basket and courtesy of a pin-down from Tyson Chandler that Bosh didn't have a prayer of fighting through.

Haslem
Udonis Haslem Although he has downplayed his performance this week in interviews, Haslem earned the title of "Dirk-stopper" from Heat fans in the 2006 Finals. In six games, Nowitzki shot only 31 percent from the field on 13-of-42 shooting when guarded by Haslem.

"You just have to make [Nowitzki] work for everything," Haslem says. "You have to play the percentages. Every shot has to be a tough shot."

Haslem will study the film and he'll find that Dirk loves to go left, then launch over his right shoulder. The trick for a 6-foot-8 defender like Haslem is not to bite on Nowitzki's sequence of shot fakes, a mistake Nowitzki invites and invariably turns into a shooting foul.

"I don't know that leaving your feet even helps," Haslem says. "At 7-foot, he's going to get the shot over you."

Due to injury, Haslem didn't have the opportunity to guard Nowitzki this season, but his track record, exceptional discipline and willingness to get in Nowitzki's kitchen will make Haslem the natural choice when Bosh checks out toward the end of the first quarter.

Anthony
Joel Anthony Anthony has asserted himself as one of the league's top help defenders this season, but the studious big man also had surprising success against Nowitzki this season. Anthony was effective fronting Nowitzki and also was quick to close out when Nowitzki caught passes on the weak side.

"You have to start with the catch, get him out of his comfort and take away those sweet spots." Anthony said. "That's a big part. Once he gets the ball, he has such a great rhythm offensively."

Nowitzki shot only 3-for-13 from the floor when Anthony was on him. Though Anthony tends to be a bit foul-prone, Nowitzki earned only four free throws against Anthony. Grand total: 10 points in 15 true shots.

Those sterling numbers aside, Anthony is probably an inferior choice to Bosh and Haslem for a variety of reasons. First, he has a tendency to leave his feet in search of the block and is merely an average post defender when Nowitzki choose to back him down.

But there's a better reason for Spoelstra to opt for Anthony's counterpart in the frontcourt to guard Nowitzki: Anthony's tremendous help defense. The Heat would prefer to have Nowitzki put the ball on the floor and allow the Heat's athletic help defenders -- Anthony foremost among them -- challenge Dirk in the paint. In other words, Anthony will come in handy behind the primary defenders.

That scheme doesn't come without risk. By sticking Anthony on Tyson Chandler or Brendan Haywood, the Heat run the risking of getting killed on the offensive glass since Anthony struggles as a defensive rebounder.

James
LeBron James Defending perimeter players and defending big men require two different skill sets, but guarding Nowitzki demands a player know how to do both.

Fortunately for the Heat, they have the league's most versatile defender in James -- a true 1-through-5 defender who has covered everyone from Marcus Camby to Derrick Rose this season -- and has done so with amazing proficiency.

Defenders must challenge Nowitzki with physicality, something James brings to every matchup, big or small. James boasts the size to crowd an offensive threat who's looking for space to get off a shot, and the quickness to cut off any potential drive. James has the length to front Nowitzki, and the agility to reposition himself in an instant after an entry.

In the Chicago series, Spoelstra utilized LeBron as his ninth-inning closer, assigning James to Rose during crucial closing possessions. If Spoelstra elects to maintain that pattern and hand responsibility for defending Nowitzki to James down the stretch, these one-on-one matchups will emerge as some of the most electrifying and defining moments of what promises to be a fascinating chess match of a series.

Read the full article at: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/columns/story?page=Nowitzki-110529

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Honestly, only Dirk can stop Dirk. Miami will do whatever they can to make him take tough shots, but tough shots happen to be Dirk's specialty. The Heat would be better off making sure Dallas's floor spreaders don't get it going and shutting down penetration. They just need to force Dirk into areas that give him the least chance to convert.

Dirk is a matchup nightmare for them. Miami will send various defenders and schemes at Dirk, and they basically have to pray he is not hitting near the 50% mark and getting to the line, or they will be in a tough position.

hugepatsfan
05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Part of what makes Dirk so great is his FT shooting. A big that shoots at the line at that rate kills a defense because big players usually get fouled more. If MIA puts Lebron on him for stretches, you take that advantage away.

PhillyFaninLA
05-29-2011, 11:17 AM
In game 1 I'd try this differently...I'd man him up with whoever doesn't really matter and I'd try and stop everyone else.

Dirk can't score 85 - 100 points a game and the Heat can probably slow up or stop everyone else. Let Dirk have his and stop everyone else.

or

Use Haslem and rotate Anthony or Bosh for additional help. Use Wade on Kidd and Lebron on whoever has the hot hand.

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 11:19 AM
No one at all

Collison did the best job I ever seen, and Dirk still avg like 30 something a game

JasonJohnHorn
05-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Honestly, only Dirk can stop Dirk. Miami will do whatever they can to make him take tough shots, but tough shots happen to be Dirk's specialty. The Heat would be better off making sure Dallas's floor spreaders don't get it going and shutting down penetration. They just need to force Dirk into areas that give him the least chance to convert.

Dirk is a matchup nightmare for them. Miami will send various defenders and schemes at Dirk, and they basically have to pray he is not hitting near the 50% mark and getting to the line, or they will be in a tough position.

Great post!

Collison did very well against Dirk, and Dirk still had a great series. He adjusted his game to respond to the defence.

Haslem is a guy I love. He is amazing, a work horse, and I think the best guy to put on Dirk. But Dirks range and ability to put the ball on the floor will make it tough for Haslem to gaurd him.

Bosh is simple NOT good enough defensively to have a huge impact on Dirk.

LBJ is arguably the best defender on the team. However, he gives up too much height to defend Dirk effectively.

Anthony is too foul prone. Dirk will have him sitting on the bench with three fouls before the first quarter is up. And Anthony cant step out to the perimiter and defend a guy face-up with the ball on the floor.

Dirks ability to shoot long, short, and up close, combined with his ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, drive to the hoop and DRAW FOULS is going to kill Miami. You throw in his little Hakeem-esque shake in the post, either up close or from 15-20 feet out. Forget about it.

Miami's best hope is to keep Dirk from scoring over thirty, contest his shots, but NO NOT PUT HIM ON THE LINE and focus on guarding the passing lanes and stop others from getting involved. Force Dirk to carry the weight of the entire team.

That said. It is not going to be easy. Dirk is a phenom. I think it is actually easier to gaurd LBJ than it is to guard Dirk. Marion will slow James down for at least a couple games, just as Deng did, and just as Pierce has done, but whoever they put on Dirk is going to end up looking like a fool. Best thing they can do is watch the game tapes from the OKC series and try to improve the techniques that Collison was using.

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 11:22 AM
And you cant double him with Terry, JJ, Kidd, Stevenson,and Peja

Thats why Bulls didnt win, they doubled D Rose and they have 1 shooter

I dare Miami to double Dirk

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Even though no one is going to stop Dirk, I would put Lebron on him on the perimeter and Anthony on him in the paint.

Heater4life
05-29-2011, 11:32 AM
I think Lebron will be able to do a great job on Dirk late. We know Dirk will get his J's in, but Lebron I believe can take him out of his game by limting his drives to the basket. Very interesting maych up, this is going to be great.

Heater4life
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
No one at all

Collison did the best job I ever seen, and Dirk still avg like 30 something a game

No one is going to stop Dirk, but i think given the right gameplan and Miami's ability to close out quickly, they can make him inefficient.

At the end of the day, im more worried about 3pt shooting than anything else. Dallas can hit them in boat loads and thats not a huge part of Miami's game.

ne3xchamps
05-29-2011, 11:40 AM
These guys are "candidates" but none of them can stop him. there only hope is to slow him down a bit. If dirk gets to drive to the hoop, oh boy. If dirk gets to the line as much as he did in the OKC series, it won't matter that they have wade and james.

GO MAVS!

ne3xchamps
05-29-2011, 11:43 AM

this. Dirk doesn't have to be the guy to score like drose. Granted if dirk averages 30+ again, better hope for a miracle if you are miami. I would like to see them double dirk, it will be over in 5 if they do that. Dallas is a tough team to defend.

DQL
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Great post!

Collison did very well against Dirk, and Dirk still had a great series. He adjusted his game to respond to the defence.

Haslem is a guy I love. He is amazing, a work horse, and I think the best guy to put on Dirk. But Dirks range and ability to put the ball on the floor will make it tough for Haslem to gaurd him.

Bosh is simple NOT good enough defensively to have a huge impact on Dirk.

LBJ is arguably the best defender on the team. However, he gives up too much height to defend Dirk effectively.

Anthony is too foul prone. Dirk will have him sitting on the bench with three fouls before the first quarter is up. And Anthony cant step out to the perimiter and defend a guy face-up with the ball on the floor.

Dirks ability to shoot long, short, and up close, combined with his ability to put the ball on the floor and create his own shot, drive to the hoop and DRAW FOULS is going to kill Miami. You throw in his little Hakeem-esque shake in the post, either up close or from 15-20 feet out. Forget about it.

Miami's best hope is to keep Dirk from scoring over thirty, contest his shots, but NO NOT PUT HIM ON THE LINE and focus on guarding the passing lanes and stop others from getting involved. Force Dirk to carry the weight of the entire team.

That said. It is not going to be easy. Dirk is a phenom. I think it is actually easier to gaurd LBJ than it is to guard Dirk. Marion will slow James down for at least a couple games, just as Deng did, and just as Pierce has done, but whoever they put on Dirk is going to end up looking like a fool. Best thing they can do is watch the game tapes from the OKC series and try to improve the techniques that Collison was using.

actually he can. he can run like a guard. his recovery speed is among the best in the NBA. Dirk will have a tough time shooting over his 9'6 standing reach

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Plus it doesnt help that Dirk is like 95% from FT's this post season

So I wouldnt get tooooo physical with him

Mishmin
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Question for me is who slows down JJ Barea? Bibby? Chalmers?

Kidd>>>K-Mart
05-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Bosh is the guy that will cover Dirk. LeBron will do more damage defensively putting size on the perimeter to stop that 3 point shot.

Kenny
05-29-2011, 11:58 AM
Miami doesn't have to shut down Dirk to win games. People get too caught up into that

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Question for me is who slows down JJ Barea? Bibby? Chalmers?

Dallas hasn't seen a team defense nearly as strong as Miami's. JJ will not be the factor he was in other series imo. he won't get into the paint at will against Miami. hell, Rose is the fastest player in the league at that area of play, and even he struggled to get consistent penetration.

Heater4life
05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Dallas hasn't seen a team defense nearly as strong as Miami's. JJ will not be the factor he was in other series imo. he won't get into the paint at will against Miami. hell, Rose is the fastest player in the league at that area of play, and even he struggled to get consistent penetration.

Yea hawkeye, but we also have to take into consideration that Chicago didnt have many 3pt point threats. Dirk, Terry, Peja, and Kidd all offer better spacing for penetration.

Heater4life
05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Im honestly very curious to see how Miami plays Dallas on the defensive end.

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

They doubled Rose almost every single play lol

Miami will never double JJ, so I think JJ will be a factor by penetrating and throwing it to 3 point shooters, Dirk, or lobs to Chandler/Marion/Haywood

gsgs49
05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

But Rose was double teamed and sometimes guarded by James,Barea will not face a double team or James,I expect him to have a great series.

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
LeBron James maybe Haslem.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Yea hawkeye, but we also have to take into consideration that Chicago didnt have many 3pt point threats. Dirk, Terry, Peja, and Kidd all offer better spacing for penetration.

oh I agree. I was simply talking about the other side of the floor. This will be the best offense Miami has seen in all reality.

By the way, I don't look for Peja to have high minutes. He will only see time when Mike Miller is on the floor. You can't have him out there when LeBron and Wade are on the floor together for any long stretch of time. Or at least if I was coaching I would be careful on what defensive lineups I use on the perimeter if I am Dallas.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:17 PM
They doubled Rose almost every single play lol

Miami will never double JJ, so I think JJ will be a factor by penetrating and throwing it to 3 point shooters, Dirk, or lobs to Chandler/Marion/Haywood

they don't even double. They funnel into help. And the Heat are the quickest defense in the NBA. They will be able to reach the shooters MUCH faster than any team the Mavs have faced. The Mavs will look to be aggressive and get to the line I would guess though, so the Heat will have to be cautious on how hard they run at those shooters.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Mavs fans, please don't think I am attacking your team here. I am only responding to the OP, which is how they will guard Dirk, and moving deeper into how they can guard the Mavs. I actually think this is a great series and have no idea who to pick to win.

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 12:20 PM
You can't double Dirk or crowd the paint.

Too much Snipers on Dallas.

But it don't matter star calls for the heat .

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Mavs fans, please don't think I am attacking your team here. I am only responding to the OP, which is how they will guard Dirk, and moving deeper into how they can guard the Mavs. I actually think this is a great series and have no idea who to pick to win.

You know you favor the heat because of Lebron James. Lol

Your similar to -Kobe-t191- when he attacks Melo.
But you defend Lebron in everything

oak2455
05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Read the full article at: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/columns/story?page=Nowitzki-110529

Thats a great title for a thread:clap: Btw only Dirk stops Dirk:D

DQL
05-29-2011, 12:24 PM
frankly how hasn't there any conversation of how the Mavs can defend HEAT's big 3? Defensively, Dallas is not Boston or Chicago. The big 3 managed to average 68 pts against the best defense in the league (Chi) and 71 pts against the 2nd (or 3rd) best defense (Bos) in 2 slow-paced series. Dirk can have his but if Dallas allows the big 3 to have theirs, they would be in trouble

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:25 PM
You can't double Dirk or crowd the paint.

Too much Snipers on Dallas.

But it don't matter star calls for the heat .

Dirk has attempted more free throws than anyone in the series dude. You are already whining about the refs, and the series hasn't even started yet?

BlondeBomber41
05-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Dirk is more versatile than he was in 2006 and Haslem is older, slower and hasn't played as much this year. I wouldn't count on a repeat performance from him on Dirk.

It will be interesting to see how Lebron fares on Dirk for sure though.

Hawkeye15
You know you favor the heat because of Lebron James. Lol

Your similar to -Kobe-t191- when he attacks Melo.
But you defend Lebron in everything

Melo is indeed overrated. Sorry.

I actually don't care who wins. Part of me wants LeBron to start winning rings to shut up the critics and haters, but the other part wants Dirk to win a ring, because his window is smaller and I would love to see one of my favorites win it all finally.

BlondeBomber41
Dirk is more versatile than he was in 2006 and Haslem is older, slower and hasn't played as much this year. I wouldn't count on a repeat performance from him on Dirk.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:28 PM

agree with all of this.

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
If Marion plays like he did against Durant then Wade better not struggle like he's been doing and play like he's there best player

Cause Bosh isnt going to do anything!!!! He had freaking no defense Boozer on him

Chandler will be on him

theheatles
05-29-2011, 12:31 PM
no need to double dirk...you double those who are either super fast or super strong (and who have skill) and in lebrons case he's both...

i expect miami to display shane battier type defense vs dirk where instead of sticking your hands str8 up in hopes of altering the trajectory or block just put a hand directly in his face because dirks jump shot truly is unblockable...but like i said dirk won't get doubled like rose

you don't live or die by the 3...you just die...and the mavs are limited in slashers and i don't expect any1 to be able to drive in the paint for the mavs like wade and lebron is going to be doing for miami

DQL
05-29-2011, 12:32 PM
If Marion plays like he did against Durant then Wade better not struggle like he's been doing and play like he's there best player

Cause Bosh isnt going to do anything!!!! He had freaking no defense Boozer on him

Chandler will be on him

wrong. Noah defended him for the most part. Boozer was on Anthony

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Melo is indeed overrated. Sorry.

I actually don't care who wins. Part of me wants LeBron to start winning rings to shut up the critics and haters, but the other part wants Dirk to win a ring, because his window is smaller and I would love to see one of my favorites win it all finally.

Explain?

Lebron aiant **** he needed wade to win dude have no pride if I was the best player in the league I would tell wade to follow me I'm not going to your team. **** is your pride. Gtfoh

Wade>Lebron he will always be up on him

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Chandler will be on him

Durant can be physically bothered though. LeBron won't care about Marion at all. Sorry, LeBron has just gone thru Iggy and Deng, who are faaaaaaaaaar superior defenders at the 3 than Marion. The Mavs will need to load up on LeBron or they will get killed by him.

Hawkeye15
05-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Explain?

Lebron aiant **** he needed wade to win dude have no pride if I was the best player in the league I would tell wade to follow me I'm not going to your team. **** is your pride. Gtfoh

Its been explained to you. But you never listen.

The second part of your post is one of the bigger reasons I rarely engage you. You are not capable of rational debates or conversations.

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Its been explained to you. But you never listen.

The second part of your post is one of the bigger reasons I rarely engage you. You are not capable of rational debates or conversations.

You showed me advanced stats. Melo has one weakness does everything great.

Stats showed me that sessions is better than Monte Ellis

And cp3 is better than wade

ne3xchamps
05-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Explain?

this. they had to team up anyways to beat my older celtics. Wade couldn't get it done on his own, Lebron got lucky once. That's why they teamed up IMO.

But I get what your saying man.

DQL
05-29-2011, 12:53 PM
this. they had to team up anyways to beat my older celtics. Wade couldn't get it done on his own, Lebron got lucky once. That's why they teamed up IMO.

But I get what your saying man.

and who can get it done on his own? KG, Pierce or Allen? :rolleyes:

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 01:05 PM
and who can get it done on his own? KG, Pierce or Allen? :rolleyes:

Ummm Dirk if he wins it...

Who is the last team to win a championship with 1 all star??

Real question

shep33
05-29-2011, 01:15 PM
Odom played Dirk really well actually, but back to the question. I have a feeling Dirk might struggle this series. He's struggled against the Heat both this season, and in 2006 with Haslem guarding him.

allSUAVE
05-29-2011, 01:17 PM

Real question

this

DQL
05-29-2011, 01:18 PM

Real question

big if dude

LTBaByyy
05-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Ever since 2006 I think the mavs are like 10-1 against the Heat?

DQL
05-29-2011, 01:26 PM

and your point is? Mavs are a good regular season team? I agree with that

BlondeBomber41
05-29-2011, 01:34 PM

I don't even remember them losing any regular season games to them to be honest. Could be wrong, but I don't remember it.

Not that it matters much now. Completely different rosters and we are missing a big piece to what helped us go 2-0 against them this year in Caron Butler.

SportsFanatic10
05-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Miami actually hardly doubled D-Rose. Sometimes but mostly the help D just shut down the driving lanes and they ran a few traps on the perimeter. If you watch closely though Rose wasn't being doubled much. Against Dallas who doesn't attack the paint as much we'll pay more attention to the 3pt line. I'm not at all saying Dirk will be stopped cuz he won't but this does remind me of when people said Rose couldn't be stopped by Miami. But with all that being said yes your shooters are scary.

SportsFanatic10
05-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Explain?

so if you were good friends with someone almost as good as you in a city like miami and he wanted to join up and win championships together you'd say no follow me to a cold weather place?

beasted86
05-29-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm just hoping Haslem can work his magic again.

Nobody is stopping Dirk... I just hope the team can limit him to under 50%, and 25 PPG or less.

beasted86
05-29-2011, 03:02 PM

http://bkref.com/tiny/0q9eE

Streak extends even before the Finals. It started in 2001, the Heat are 1-10 in Dallas...

http://bkref.com/tiny/ET3VI

Also 2-20 both road & home.... unfortunately due to the '06 Finals result, it proves it means nothing.

Aside from that, the Heat have home court advantage.

ryang
05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Defense....

BALLER R
05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
One is that with lebron on rose that stopped rose from shooting because lebron was a bigger defender. but with lebron guarding dirk that's a different story. he can stop him from driving but he can't shot him from shooting

Lake_Show2416
05-29-2011, 03:33 PM
no one can guard Dirk when he's on the offensive end, especially anyone the Heat can offer

u just have to hope he has an off game or let him get his, it'd be hard to double team with so many options to kick it out to

Hoopsadvocate
05-29-2011, 03:44 PM
No one at all

Really? guess u must not have been a mavs fan for very long and choose to ignore the article where it saids Haslem had him shooting a much lower percentage.

Hoopsadvocate
05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd be more concerned about stopping other people than dirk. Just as long as hes not putting up 35+ a game.

Unfortunatley they are a jump shooting team and live and die by the 3 and so far have been living by it. A big part is dirk but also peja,kidd,terry. Not to mention barea (even though hes more drive to the basket). So it really depends on their role players shot making more than dirks imo.

With that said I find it funny people say nobody can stop dirk when clearly as the article saids haslem DID, and bosh has done a decent job guarding him (like i said as long as he doesnt have rediculosus numbers im fine with him getting 20ish points a game)

Lebron has proven himself a elite defender and we have so many options to throw at him if he does go off and prove to be a problem.

Young2Kinsler
05-29-2011, 03:56 PM
James might be the best option to guard him, as the refs will be less likely to call fouls on him. He can probably get away with being more physical, and the announcers can ride his jock all night long for his stellar defense.

TheHighLife
05-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Only Dirk can stop Dirk.

Hoopsadvocate
05-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Ladies and gentlemen u have ur answer.... UDONIS HASLEM!!! LIKE WE ALL SAID!!

koreancabbage
06-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Haslem

he guarded him effectively. remember Haslem hasn't played for most of the year, still has fresh legs.

BALLER71
06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
James might be the best option to guard him, as the refs will be less likely to call fouls on him. He can probably get away with being more physical, and the announcers can ride his jock all night long for his stellar defense.

You sound bitter. Joel and Haslem did work tonight. Period.

DoJoTheSlasher
06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
It's one game. Dirk won't have this bad shooting night again. He still managed to get 27. If he made his damn layups he has 35 or 36 points.