PDA

View Full Version : Jordan vs LeBron, it doesn't even matter

WriterCyril
05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Can we stop with the LeBron vs Jordan thing? Why does everybody feel the need to compare these two great players? Comparing these two players, at this point in time, is so wrong in so many ways.

Number one, and the biggest thing, is the fact that LeBron hasnít even finished his career yet! So many Jordan lovers and supporters make the case ďhow many rings does LeBron have?Ē, but this has no merit at all. It took Michael a full 7 years in the league to earn his first championship, and LeBron is currently in the finals in his eighth (looks to me like the eighth year will be the charm). Michael had to deal with teams such as the Celtics and Pistons early on, and because of this didnít advance much in the playoffs before he won his first ring. Sounds exactly like what LeBron has had to deal with in his first years; he had to deal with the early decade Piston teams and the late decade Celtic teams.

Iím pretty sure everyone can agree that LeBron will win a ring in his career, you just need to give a young basketball player time to grow and reign in his ego a little bit. It seems to me he has done that, so all we can do is watch and see how many championships he can win. I donít think it will be six, but you can bet it will be two or more.

Number two, why would you ever compare two basketball players that clearly have two different styles of play? Michael Jordan, and this cannot be debated, is and will be the greatest scoring basketball player ever. The man won six scoring titles before taking down his first championship. LeBron has won only one, but this doesnít make LeBron any worse of a player, in fact LeBron is a better all around player then Jordan was in his first seven seasons speaking strictly from a stat point of view. LeBron is doing much better on the assist side early on in his career, and even though he cannot score like Jordan once could, he is still one of the most prolific scorers in the game today.

I know that Jordan was one of the best defenders in the league during his time as well, and that does go into consideration for all around play, but as we all saw this season LeBron is not a slouch defender himself. Iím not gonna argue which one was better because I didnít have the luxury of watching Jordan in his career (holy crap I wish I did!), but I know that both men were fantastic on the defensive end.

Look, based on what Scottie Pippen said about LeBron being as good, if not better, than Jordan as an all around basketball player he is 50% right. What I mean by this is as far as NATURAL TALENT goes (defined as: having basic basketball abilities without putting work in) I have never seen anyone as good as LeBron. Because of his natural quickness, size, agility, and whatever else goes into natural ability, he is unmatched. He is 6′ 8Ē and can guard anyone from an opposing teams point guard to their center, and I know there are other people in the league that can do this, but LeBron does it effectively. In fact hes not just effective at it, hes downright amazing at it!

But what LeBron has in natural talent, Michael has in his scoring abilities. I donít care who the heck you are, you know Michael can score like no one else youíve ever seen, or will see. If LeBron tried to play like Michael played, the media would crucify him for being a ball hog. Not only that, but LeBron wouldnít be maximizing his abilities in my eyes.

Why do I think this? Because like I said, they are two very different basketball players. Just stop comparing them and enjoy what LeBron is showing us, because like Michael itís something amazing and has never been seen before. We just have to wait and see if it will benefit him more in the number of championships then Jordanís style did for him.

What do you think?

Cyril Dunham is a sports journalist, you can read his work at mysportsanalysis.com

C-Style
05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Jordan>>>Lebron

C-Style
05-28-2011, 12:12 AM
btw...didn't read!

barreleffact
05-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Can we stop with the LeBron vs Jordan thing? Why does everybody feel the need to compare these two great players? Comparing these two players, at this point in time, is so wrong in so many ways.

Number one, and the biggest thing, is the fact that LeBron hasnít even finished his career yet! So many Jordan lovers and supporters make the case ďhow many rings does LeBron have?Ē, but this has no merit at all. It took Michael a full 7 years in the league to earn his first championship, and LeBron is currently in the finals in his eighth (looks to me like the eighth year will be the charm). Michael had to deal with teams such as the Celtics and Pistons early on, and because of this didnít advance much in the playoffs before he won his first ring. Sounds exactly like what LeBron has had to deal with in his first years; he had to deal with the early decade Piston teams and the late decade Celtic teams.

Iím pretty sure everyone can agree that LeBron will win a ring in his career, you just need to give a young basketball player time to grow and reign in his ego a little bit. It seems to me he has done that, so all we can do is watch and see how many championships he can win. I donít think it will be six, but you can bet it will be two or more.

Number two, why would you ever compare two basketball players that clearly have two different styles of play? Michael Jordan, and this cannot be debated, is and will be the greatest scoring basketball player ever. The man won six scoring titles before taking down his first championship. LeBron has won only one, but this doesnít make LeBron any worse of a player, in fact LeBron is a better all around player then Jordan was in his first seven seasons speaking strictly from a stat point of view. LeBron is doing much better on the assist side early on in his career, and even though he cannot score like Jordan once could, he is still one of the most prolific scorers in the game today.

I know that Jordan was one of the best defenders in the league during his time as well, and that does go into consideration for all around play, but as we all saw this season LeBron is not a slouch defender himself. Iím not gonna argue which one was better because I didnít have the luxury of watching Jordan in his career (holy crap I wish I did!), but I know that both men were fantastic on the defensive end.

Look, based on what Scottie Pippen said about LeBron being as good, if not better, than Jordan as an all around basketball player he is 50% right. What I mean by this is as far as NATURAL TALENT goes (defined as: having basic basketball abilities without putting work in) I have never seen anyone as good as LeBron. Because of his natural quickness, size, agility, and whatever else goes into natural ability, he is unmatched. He is 6′ 8Ē and can guard anyone from an opposing teams point guard to their center, and I know there are other people in the league that can do this, but LeBron does it effectively. In fact hes not just effective at it, hes downright amazing at it!

But what LeBron has in natural talent, Michael has in his scoring abilities. I donít care who the heck you are, you know Michael can score like no one else youíve ever seen, or will see. If LeBron tried to play like Michael played, the media would crucify him for being a ball hog. Not only that, but LeBron wouldnít be maximizing his abilities in my eyes.

Why do I think this? Because like I said, they are two very different basketball players. Just stop comparing them and enjoy what LeBron is showing us, because like Michael itís something amazing and has never been seen before. We just have to wait and see if it will benefit him more in the number of championships then Jordanís style did for him.

What do you think?

Cyril Dunham is a sports journalist, you can read his work at mysportsanalysis.com

Exactly! You didnt see Jordan; therefore, your opinion on it is garbage even statistically because Jordan was an adept passer and better than Lebron in every facet of the game except 3 point shooting and passing which he is an equal passer IMO or at least not far behind.

I actually read your post up to that point and got more and more disgusted along the way but I absolutely HAD to stop after reading that. It made your view pointless. Of course a child would assume whomever he sees is better than those he hasnt.