PDA

View Full Version : Blazers to Ask Brandon Roy To Retire to save Money??

NBA_Starter
05-27-2011, 04:48 PM
The Portland Trail Blazers may ask Brandon Roy, a well-paid All-Star guard who has suffered multiple serious knee injuries in the past year, to retire, according to a column by John Canzano of The Oregonian. Canzano reports that Blazers management, led by owner Paul Allen, want to find a way to cut bait with Roy, feared to become an anchor.

Canzano does not, however, cite any sources.

Roy had double knee surgery at midseason, and struggled upon his return late in the regular season. He did have a magnificent playoff performance in Game 4 against the Dallas Mavericks, scoring 18 points and leading the Blazers to a boisterous, shocking comeback win. But overall, he struggled in the series. Before that breakout, he'd fallen behind Rudy Fernandez and Patty Mills in the guard rotation.

Roy's due another $68.7 million over four years, a hefty pricetag if the guard can't get back to an All-Star level. Canzano suggests the Blazers could push Roy to retire, giving up all of that money and sitting out for a year, then returning to the NBA. As Canzano notes, that is a completely bonkers idea. There's almost no conceivable way that would happen. The other option is a medical retirement, in which a league-appointed doctor would have to determine Roy was no longer fit to play. Roy would still get paid every dime, but his salary would come off the Blazers' books, allowing them to make moves and avoid luxury tax.

But in that scenario, Roy would be forced to sit out a year. The Blazers tried to medically retire Darius Miles a couple years ago, but Miles came back on a contract with the Memphis Grizzlies to void the cap savings for Portland.

Whatever the case, if Portland is looking for a way out from under Roy, it's going to be one crazy summer. For more on Portland, visit Blazer's Edge.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/5/27/2193046/brandon-roy-retirement-portland-trail-blazers

:confused:

Crackadalic
05-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Thats kinda sad. He was a top 3 sg in this league before all the injury.

nycsports2
05-27-2011, 04:52 PM
dam thas messed up and he balled in the playoffs

Master Mind
05-27-2011, 04:52 PM
He would be great in Chicago but his contract stinks...

Kashmir13579
05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
69 mil over four years.... damn...

trade him to the Suns and pay for 50% of his contract. can they do that?

Chi StateOfMind
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Sad to see especially to such a good player and person.

JordansBulls
05-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I think this is sad that management would even say this. You really think he is going to give up that much money if he can't play anymore?

Wade_County
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
LOL, they can ask but I doubt he will turn down his remaining 70 million.

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Portland tried this stuff with Darius Miles and it blew up in their face. If they try to jerk Roy they are just setting themselves up as the team that no free agent will want to go to.

They made the deal, so live with it. Roy technically shouldn't even have been playing he wasn't healthy, but he did his thing in the playoffs. Disloyal jerks.....

RCarlson85
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
I feel really bad for Roy. He was awesome before the injury and even showed flashes in the playoffs this year. I can't imagine he wants to just hang it up, but I think he would like to help the team out if possible. It just sucks when injuries wipe out a player's career like this.

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I think this is sad that management would even say this. You really think he is going to give up that much money if he can't play anymore?

Foreal like he's just going to say "you know what guys you're right. Im sorry about all this, here just keep the over $60million you guys owe me and we'll just call it square."

Yeah right! I would Eddie Curry them all the way to the bank!

Hawkeye15
05-27-2011, 05:04 PM
Portland tried this stuff with Darius Miles and it blew up in their face. If they try to jerk Roy they are just setting themselves up as the team that no free agent will want to go to.

They made the deal, so live with it. Roy technically shouldn't even have been playing he wasn't healthy, but he did his thing in the playoffs. Disloyal jerks.....

boom

DoMeFavors
05-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I am curious what these guys do in practice? It seems like everyone on the team suffers an injury.
Roy doesnt deserve to retire after being in the league less than 5 years and being an all star. The guy has passion.

NBA_Starter
05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
LOL, they can ask but I doubt he will turn down his remaining 70 million.

I'm not agreeing with it but if he medically retires he still gets every penny, it just comes off of the Blazers books and he has to sit out a year.

smith&wesson
05-27-2011, 05:08 PM
no chance b roy leaves all that money on table. if i were him id sit on the bench for four years and collect every penny.

haggis
05-27-2011, 05:10 PM
I can't think about Roy, he makes me sad. :(

Oh, what could have been...

Hellcrooner
05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Allen boycoting cba negotiatiosn to ENSURE teams can CUT the contracts whenever they want wiht no salary cap implications in 3, 2 , 1 ....

Ebbs
05-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Classless on managements part. And Roy showed he could still contribute in the playoffs.

SportsFanatic10
05-27-2011, 05:20 PM
i really wish we could see roy play up to his potential when he's injury free. such a good player. also think oden would/can be great if only for his health as well. portland fans really got shafted. they would be a great great team if their roster could consistently stay even close to healthy.

Purple&Gold24
05-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I dont understand this :shrug:

Bruno
05-27-2011, 05:24 PM

x2.

mttwlsn16
05-27-2011, 05:26 PM

:cry: i miss dmiles, hes the reason i became a clippers fan :cry:

ttam68
05-27-2011, 05:30 PM
The article cites another article that doesn't have a source. It could be made up

Chronz
05-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Ive always wondered what happens to that cap space when players retire. I dont think it comes off their books, Im sure it doesnt count towards the luxury tax but it still takes up cap space. From what I remember it takes 2 years of inactivity for a players contract to come off the books. I remember because I teetered back and forth to the idea of Grant Hill suiting up for the Magic or just letting his contract expire within the year.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-27-2011, 05:34 PM
Daaaamn... B. Roy was the truth. Hope he can make it back.

DodgerBulls
05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
I seriously hope that Roy do the right move, medically retire!! He will still get all the money as stated and just sit out year. Not only he will get the money, but he will forcefully REST. Seriously, all his passion to play ball has to be tamed due to his condition. This is the best move for his health, unless he doesn't want to walk anymore. This would also allow him to be afloat in the NBA, rather than being known as a injury prone/bench player for 4 years. If he does this now, he gets to rest for a whole year or so then he can try out for many teams and regain his stature.

cowboyz180
05-27-2011, 06:15 PM
That would be really rude of the management to ask him to retire. You could tell that he gave it his all during the Blazers-Mavs playoff series. He really wants to be out there with his teammates...

CeeDub15
05-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I feel bad for Roy. Dude was such a stud, did pretty good in the playoffs. Hopefully things work out for him.

justinnum1
05-27-2011, 06:21 PM
wtf is paul allen doing?

Sinattle
05-27-2011, 06:25 PM
I believe Shawn Kemp gave back around 25 million during his time in Portland, so I think it could be possible for Roy to do the same and somehow still collect a large lump sum of that 69 million.

mdm692
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Trade vc for roy. . .we get the sg we need por save 23mill after they buyout carter

thephoenixson28
05-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Please trade vince carter for Roy.

ChitownBears22
05-27-2011, 07:04 PM
If I was Brandon Roy I would say no and sit there in my suit every game and have them pay me. Do you think if he was healthy and played at an all-star level, and they won a championship and increased revenue to the team he would get a cut. Nope this is how contracts work.

Chavacano
05-27-2011, 07:19 PM

I agree.

They did know about the condition of Roy's knee before offering him that contract, right? Even though he was a top player, you have to consider that, right? :confused:

Jaji
05-27-2011, 07:23 PM
He will do like Stephon Marbury... collect millions and he doesn't have to go anywhere near a basketball court. Steph didn't even know when the Knicks were playing and was still collecting fat checks.

king4day
05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
69 mil over four years.... damn...

trade him to the Suns and pay for 50% of his contract. can they do that?

No but they could pay us 3mil :)

Lim
05-27-2011, 07:45 PM
i know it sucks that he cant play but it must be nice to sit on a bench in dress clothes every game and collect 69 million. easiest job ever. i am jelly

DeyAce
05-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Him and Rose would be a sick combo. Trade Gibson and Brewer

bholly
05-27-2011, 07:51 PM
The Portland Trail Blazers may ask Brandon Roy, a well-paid All-Star guard who has suffered multiple serious knee injuries in the past year, to retire, according to a column by John Canzano of The Oregonian. Canzano reports that Blazers management, led by owner Paul Allen, want to find a way to cut bait with Roy, feared to become an anchor.

Canzano does not, however, cite any sources.

Roy had double knee surgery at midseason, and struggled upon his return late in the regular season. He did have a magnificent playoff performance in Game 4 against the Dallas Mavericks, scoring 18 points and leading the Blazers to a boisterous, shocking comeback win. But overall, he struggled in the series. Before that breakout, he'd fallen behind Rudy Fernandez and Patty Mills in the guard rotation.

Roy's due another $68.7 million over four years, a hefty pricetag if the guard can't get back to an All-Star level. Canzano suggests the Blazers could push Roy to retire, giving up all of that money and sitting out for a year, then returning to the NBA. As Canzano notes, that is a completely bonkers idea. There's almost no conceivable way that would happen. The other option is a medical retirement, in which a league-appointed doctor would have to determine Roy was no longer fit to play. Roy would still get paid every dime, but his salary would come off the Blazers' books, allowing them to make moves and avoid luxury tax.

But in that scenario, Roy would be forced to sit out a year. The Blazers tried to medically retire Darius Miles a couple years ago, but Miles came back on a contract with the Memphis Grizzlies to void the cap savings for Portland.

Whatever the case, if Portland is looking for a way out from under Roy, it's going to be one crazy summer. For more on Portland, visit Blazer's Edge.

You guys need to wait till there's actually something credible before you get all upset at the Blazers.

AnalyzeNShoot
05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Roy and Oden for VC, Lopez. If suns are willing to take the risk

Stuckey#3
05-27-2011, 08:00 PM
The front office was a lot better with Kevin Pritchard. Portland's front office is slowly becoming one of the worst in the league... besides lucking out with an even worse front office on the Gerald Wallace trade they have been failing.

12evolution 9
05-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Roy wouldnt be the type of player to just want to sit on the bench collecting his loot, but he getting injured and that sucks for rest of the team as well, ... just a crappy overall position to be in.

CB29
05-27-2011, 08:23 PM
i'm sorry portland fans but your management is really coming off like a**holes... i love the portland roster but i really think that the management is really inept...

PrettyBoyJ
05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Damnn thats messed up.. Roy should think about it tho cuz DRs say he only has 2 years at best

TheHighLife
05-27-2011, 08:59 PM
There's no way hes going to retire. He's still an amazing player.

Bishnoff
05-27-2011, 09:01 PM

This.

idrinkpepsi
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
It was already said in February that Brandon Roy may only have 1-2 years left because of his knees.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/27527812

It's really too bad as Roy has had his very bright looking career ruined by his own body if I were him I'd retire so he can still enjoy his knees after retirement and not provide further damage.

thephoenixson28
05-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Roy and Oden for VC, Lopez. If suns are willing to take the risk I would do it in a heart beat.

Jewelz0376
05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Crap like this is why I think being loyal to a team is bs...because most teams will get rid of you the best way that benefits them once your aren't useful to them in their eyes...Part of the reason he messed up his knees was because he came back too early in the playoffs last year trying to help them win..

If I were Roy and they asked me to do this I would literally say "eff you" and walk out... I don't know if his last yr is a team or player option, but if its a player option and he's still on Por I would def make sure and use that option as a finally "eff you" (even tho he probably will use the option ne ways lol)

Wilson
05-27-2011, 11:47 PM
I don't know if it's legal for them to ask him that.

Why don't they just buy out his contract? They can still pay him his money without it counting against the salary cap that way.

jrm2054
05-27-2011, 11:52 PM
that is ****ed up

arkanian215
05-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Suns send Carter to Portland for Roy. Carter has his team option declined by the Blazers and the Blazers pay $4 million this season and nothing after. Suns get a continuously hurt Roy w/ no cartilage but still a very talented SG on a monstrous contract.

NBA-GMaster
05-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Just trade him to minny's 2nd overall pick, jazz' 3rd overall pick or cavs' 4th overall pick..

Raph12
05-28-2011, 01:38 AM
If I'm Roy, I'd take the retirement money (full contract pay) and go play in Europe, they give you only 20mpg anyways...

Iron24th
05-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Wow,rude for Roy

TrueFan420
05-28-2011, 03:48 AM
this is kinda sad i feel for the man... one day he is on top of the world (hell i remember people saying he plays like kobe-lite) and then he gets hurt and falls down to this sh1t.

kikeyanez
05-28-2011, 04:02 AM

you think the blazers want to pay a guy 69 million that cant play basketball?

Law25
05-28-2011, 04:12 AM
If they buy him out and force retirement. He can sign with the Lakers for less come off the bench with Odom and Fisher and restore us to glory.

Jahari Kavi
05-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Hate that this is happening Roy....one of my favorite players and seems like a good guy

Jahari Kavi
05-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Crap like this is why I think being loyal to a team is bs...because most teams will get rid of you the best way that benefits them once your aren't useful to them in their eyes...Part of the reason he messed up his knees was because he came back too early in the playoffs last year trying to help them win..

If I were Roy and they asked me to do this I would literally say "eff you" and walk out... I don't know if his last yr is a team or player option, but if its a player option and he's still on Por I would def make sure and use that option as a finally "eff you" (even tho he probably will use the option ne ways lol)

yeah loyalty is a bunch of hog wash

stlbest5in2013
05-28-2011, 06:35 AM
they shouldnt ask him to retire, but use that clause that gets them off the books for his salary, release him outright.

then hopefully the bulls can sell him on coming to chicago, and he can sit a year making the league minimum, and gets his knees correctly fixed. micro fracture surgery or what ever.

jiggin
05-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Did Blazers management say this? NO. Canzano is a jerk journalist, not a part of the Blazers team and he cites NO SOURCES.

This is just him displaying some options they would have to clear all that money off the books.

It just takes a couple morons to make this story into something its not...which is what happened here. This is not news FROM the blazers, this is a guy posting what he thinks could be their only options...and they aren't good ones.

The team NEVER SAID ANY OF THIS...these are just options, and as I said before, bad ones.

BlondeBomber41
05-28-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't know if it's legal for them to ask him that.

Why don't they just buy out his contract? They can still pay him his money without it counting against the salary cap that way.

That's definitely not how buyouts in the NBA work. The money still counts against your cap. If that is the way it worked, you know how many players would get cut? Mark Cuban woulda cut half the team this offseason to create cap room to go after Lebron or Wade. The Knicks would of cut everyone years ago instead of sucking for so long.

williams
05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
i would not be shocked if it was roy's camp floating the idea.
retiring for a year, getting paid, and signing for a contender as a bench option would be great for him. extend his career, and if i'm understanding this correctly, he'd be getting two paycheques. one as a 1st option, one as a 6th.

what if there's a lockout for a year? could he do this without missing any nba games if a year lapses?

good for him and la/chicago.

DoJoTheSlasher
05-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe they should get rid of Rudy Fernandez to make the team better first.

kozelkid
05-28-2011, 02:05 PM
I think amnesty clause is the more likely situation. In which case, I hope Roy joins the Bulls after and accepts a Manu type role.

kozelkid
05-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Suns send Carter to Portland for Roy. Carter has his team option declined by the Blazers and the Blazers pay $4 million this season and nothing after. Suns get a continuously hurt Roy w/ no cartilage but still a very talented SG on a monstrous contract.

Makes sense.
If anyone can keep an injury prone player healthy, it's the magical healing power of the Suns' training staff.

Wilson
05-28-2011, 05:01 PM
That's definitely not how buyouts in the NBA work. The money still counts against your cap. If that is the way it worked, you know how many players would get cut? Mark Cuban woulda cut half the team this offseason to create cap room to go after Lebron or Wade. The Knicks would of cut everyone years ago instead of sucking for so long.

If you just cut a guy then he still counts against the cap. But you can buy out the contract totally if the team and the player agree on a fee. That way the player still gets money but his contract comes off the books. The reason it doesn't happen more is because it means the team has to pay a huge fee up front.