PDA

View Full Version : Miami Wins a Title With the Help of, or In Spite of the Bench/Coach?

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 03:58 PM
IF they were to win, and Im just saying IF, there seems to be two different pervading thoughts about the Miami Heats supporting cast and coach. Im talking by and large generalization here....

1.) In order to win a championship it takes a total team effort. Their role players fit in great and play their parts well. They may not be the best but they are the best at serving their particular function. Couldn't have done it without them. Their coach is cool, calm under pressure, and weathered the storm to get them to this point. He got a team full of new guys to buy in and deserves a lot of credit. You can't win a chip without good coaching and bench play.

or

2.) Besides the Big 3 they have a team full of bums. Their bench is a joke. The coach sucks. Has no idea what he's doing, Lebron and Wade pretty much coached the team themselves. Basically any idiot could've sat on the bench and coached this team to a championship. The big 3 can take any cast of characters to a championship. They're just that good. The fact that they won with this terrible bench and coach shows you how great Lebron and Wade are.

A bit drastic but for the most part this is what is being said by the majority. Where do you fit in? "With the help of...." or "In spite of......"

*edit*
IF they do win we all know what the main reason would be, no big secret.

JB0B0
05-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, and Joel Anthony were huge for Miami. Not so sure about Spoelstra but you can't say that the big 3 won the series alone.

davids22
05-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Hoping my boy Juwan gets some PT in the finals, lol. Big Z didn't come to Miami to sit on the bench in the finals (or did he?).

Chi StateOfMind
05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
If they win it in their first year then holy s---. The NBA is f---ed for 6 years. B/c Miami is only going to add players and make their team deeper. Other teams better be ready to play some serious ball.

DerekRE_3
05-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Neither. They are just crazy talented, get superstar calls, and play fantastic defense. They don't need a great coach or bench to win, but they didn't win because of or in spite of those things. Bosh showing up for the Bulls series was also huge. He killed Boozer.

Heater4life
05-27-2011, 04:15 PM
If they win it in their first year then holy s---. The NBA is f---ed for 6 years. B/c Miami is only going to add players and make their team deeper. Other teams better be ready to play some serious ball.

I know! :D

Hawkeye15
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
neither. Obviously LeBron especially, and Wade to an extent, make everyone around them better. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better fits for filling out the roster, but they are limited financially and will have to mix and match every year. But as long as their big 3 stay healthy, they are contenders, no matter who weak the supporting cast is. Obviously if they even had an average supporting cast, they would just be murdering teams. But you go with what ya got.

mttwlsn16
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, and Joel Anthony were huge for Miami. Not so sure about Spoelstra but you can't say that the big 3 won the series alone.

this

haslem coming back has been a HUGE spark
miller found his stroke
joel anthony playing D

i could coach that team and have similar results, ha

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 04:41 PM
neither. Obviously LeBron especially, and Wade to an extent, make everyone around them better. There are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better fits for filling out the roster, but they are limited financially and will have to mix and match every year. But as long as their big 3 stay healthy, they are contenders, no matter who weak the supporting cast is. Obviously if they even had an average supporting cast, they would just be murdering teams. But you go with what ya got.

That sounds like an "in spite of" supporting cast to me buddy. Your basically saying take the big 3 and pencil in the rest.

What about the coach though? Another coach might've folded earlier in the season when they were calling for his head....

Canterbury
05-27-2011, 06:14 PM
I picked the second choice. It was very frustrating throughout the series when Chicago defended well and Lebron still managed to score.

justinnum1
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Hoping my boy Juwan gets some PT in the finals, lol. Big Z didn't come to Miami to sit on the bench in the finals (or did he?).

Sitting on the bench in the finals is better than on a boat...Plus they might use him, but i think miami will go small.

Lake_Show2416
05-27-2011, 06:45 PM
they need their bench to play well cuz Dallas is too deep

12evolution 9
05-27-2011, 08:34 PM
i think game 1 were keep Joel at starting C. then either Damp or Z will come off if we need.

remember when OKC made Dallas have problems when they played small .. really small

TylerSL
05-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Coach has always been good. He kept this team focused on the big picture. He has kept this team alert on D, and his defensive schemes are truley amazing. We dont have the best bench in the league, but they show up when they need to. James Jones 25 points vs. Boston. Mike Miller breakout games in 4 and 5 in the ECF. Haslem's breakout game in 2 in the ECF. Its not just Wade/Lebron/Bosh like everybody plays it out to be.

Hawkeye15
05-27-2011, 10:51 PM
That sounds like an "in spite of" supporting cast to me buddy. Your basically saying take the big 3 and pencil in the rest.

What about the coach though? Another coach might've folded earlier in the season when they were calling for his head....

how does it sound anything like what I stated? I have been consistent here, and said the Heat this year had the worst cast, 4-12, in the NBA. It helps that Miller and Haslem are healthy now, and if they both would have been all year, Miami would have met some of your "expectations" and had the best record.

Are you now saying Spo, a man under 40 who has never coached a team of relevance, is a hardened vet? Cmon. He is learning as fast as his players are.

Jewelz0376
05-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Their bench was an important part of them winning...

I wish the Lakers had chalmers, miller, and haslem coming off the bench... Obviously LO is better than pretty much any bench player but after that Lakers have crap...

Haslem was a big reason the Heat won game 2....and Miller has a big reason they won game 4...

They don't have a bench like Dal or a team like that...but it def isn't that bad either...In the playoffs all you really need is a good 8 man rotation and if you manage mins right your fine...