PDA

View Full Version : Could have lebron win alone?

ajnapoleon
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
without a 2nd star or at least someone that divert attention?

mjt20mik
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
If he had a decent cast around him, yes.

MiamiWadeCounty
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Well if he had a better supporting cast than he had in Cleveland, then yes. However, I am not sure if there has been a championship team in history that didn't have two stars or at least one amazing player and a very, very good player.

justinnum1
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
not in cle

mjt20mik
05-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Well if he had a better supporting cast than he had in Cleveland, then yes. However, I am not sure if there has been a championship team in history that didn't have two stars or at least one amazing player and a very, very good player.

Well said.

Stuckey#3
05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
No... not in cleveland, not in miami... **** not in turkey.

assisi805
05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Assuming Bosh still went to miami and they used the lebron money to stock up on a good cast then Bron never would have came out of the east.

Stuckey#3
05-26-2011, 08:15 PM
"Well if he had a better supporting cast than he had in Cleveland, then yes. However, I am not sure if there has been a championship team in history that didn't have two stars or at least one amazing player and a very, very good player."
Well said.

Um. 2004 Pistons? Or was that before you started watching basketball. The only player on that team who was even close to Wades level was Chauncey. We had Big Ben... oh wait so did Lebron.

arkanian215
05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I think Perkins, Stretch 4 who could play defense, lebron, slashing 2, spot up PG who could create off the dribble, decent bench could have done it. The rest of the team would have to pretty good spot up shooters and defenders.

TylerSL
05-26-2011, 08:18 PM
this is such a stupid topic. This was a bad thread to make becuase now everybody is going to get their shot in on Lebron. Nobody could win alone, period. Stick MJ on this years Raptors, they dont win it all. It is impossible to win it alone. Hell, even Rose cant win with the cast he has IMO. The Bulls rely on him soooo much they dont really have anybody else who can create. You need two people that can draw attetion to win a title. Like the Lakers the last 2 years, the Celtics in 2008, the Spurs in 07, Heat in 06, Spurs in 05, Pistons in 04, Spurs in 03, Lakers in 00-02. All of these teams had at least 2 people who could create for themselves..

MiamiWadeCounty
05-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Um. 2004 Pistons? Or was that before you started watching basketball. The only player on that team who was even close to Wades level was Chauncey. We had Big Ben... oh wait so did Lebron.

That is somewhat of an exception. Ben Wallace was an all-star and they had four players who are were very, very good at the time and would go on to become all-stars in other seasons (minus Prince). Ben Wallace, Sheed', Tayshaun, Rip, and Billups all in their prime. Big Ben and Prince provided great defensive intensity. Billups could handle the ball effectively and make threes. Rip was instant offense and kept his man runing on offense. Sheed' was a great jump shooter and brought leadership and emotion to this team. They complemented each other perfectly and had great chemistry. And to your last point, Lebron had Big Ben when he was towards the very end of his career just like he had an inefficient Shaq.

Il Mago50
05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
He had a good team around him in Cleveland, that's total ********. He had one of the league's better defenses, shooters around him, decent young guys like Hickson who were only going to get better and role guys like Varajeo who brought a lot to the table.

If you can't win playing alongside Jamison and Mo Williams along with the other players and the defense he had, it's tough to see how he could

HouRealCoach
05-26-2011, 08:25 PM

You can argue all u want but I think Hakeem did it in '94...

I think LeBron could have tho... Jamison and Mo-Will just played like trash in the playoffs and he got fed up with it and quit on em

dnewguy
05-26-2011, 08:26 PM
No one has ever won a NBA championship alone. You cant get by 30 teams with d league talents no matter how great you are.

MiamiWadeCounty
He had a good team around him in Cleveland, that's total ********. He had one of the league's better defenses, shooters around him, decent young guys like Hickson who were only going to get better and role guys like Varajeo who brought a lot to the table.

If you can't win playing alongside Jamison and Mo Williams along with the other players and the defense he had, it's tough to see how he could

1. "Decent young guys" aren't a good supporting cast.
2. He is one of the best defenders in the league. Outside of Varejao I don't know who else they had who was a great defender.
3. Antwan Jamison was past his prime and really didn't help.
4. Lebron made Mo Williams look better than really is. Only reason Mo made the all-star team was because Lebron was leading the team to a great record.

Il Mago50
If he really wanted to go and win and be respected for it while having a stepup in players around him, I have one word for you: Washington.

Although he didn't even consider it as an option, that team would've IMO easily competed to win the East although they probably wouldn't beat the Bulls/Celtics this year.

Washington had 20 million in cap space last year which would've been plenty to give to Lebron. At the point, he would be teamed up with one of the league's brightest young players in John Wall. In the post, he'd get a defensive stud in JaVale Mcgee and a very good young player in Andrey Blatche along with Yi Jianlian coming off the bench who still has a lot of promise and would benefit huge from playing like LeDouche. On the wings, they still had Josh Howard, Al Thornton and a bunch of other guys and overall, when you look at all the other pieces they had on that team, had Lebron chosen to go there, he would've had a much better and younger team around him then in Cleveland.

He had an option to save his legacy and he pissed it away.

knicks4life33
05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
um you can win alone espicially with a decent supporting cast. look at hakeem olojuwain in 1994 . he did it all bye him self and the 2004 pistons and all you need is a good cast around you and a real superstar takes it on his own shoulders to take them to the promise land

heyman321
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
um you can win alone espicially with a decent supporting cast. look at hakeem olojuwain in 1994 . he did it all bye him self and the 2004 pistons and all you need is a good cast around you and a real superstar takes it on his own shoulders to take them to the promise land

Why do people not get that the 2004 Pistons team didn't have scrubs? They had 4 all-stars in their prime in the starting lineup and a defensive king in Prince. They didn't have a "superstar" but they have 4 all-stars which is basically the same thing.

MiamiWadeCounty
05-26-2011, 08:30 PM
You can argue all u want but I think Hakeem did it in '94...

I think LeBron could have tho... Jamison and Mo-Will just played like trash in the playoffs and he got fed up with it and quit on em

This was the year Jordan retired, no?

knicks4life33
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
He had Clyde Drexler averaging 21.4 ppg, 7 rpg, 4.4 apg, and 1.7 spg.

clyde drexler wasnt on the rockets in 1994 he joined the next year . hakeem carried his team and took them to win the championship

HouRealCoach
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM

Jamison and Williams were no shows last year in the playoffs, the coach kept taking Shaq out and he didnt play Hickson and barely played Varejao when needed, Gibson didnt play, West and Parker missed alot of wide open threes, Mo-Will let Rondo do whatever he wanted, Jamison could not hold KG... But just so you know Lebron did a helluva job on Pierce

But that coach along with Mo Will and Jamison was horrible last year

MiamiWadeCounty
05-26-2011, 08:35 PM
clyde drexler wasnt on the rockets in 1994 he joined the next year . hakeem carried his team and took them to win the championship

Yep I realized that. You're right on that point. I edited it.

Tanakid777
05-26-2011, 08:39 PM
If he really wanted to go and win and be respected for it while having a stepup in players around him, I have one word for you: Washington.

Although he didn't even consider it as an option, that team would've IMO easily competed to win the East although they probably wouldn't beat the Bulls/Celtics this year.

Washington had 20 million in cap space last year which would've been plenty to give to Lebron. At the point, he would be teamed up with one of the league's brightest young players in John Wall. In the post, he'd get a defensive stud in JaVale Mcgee and a very good young player in Andrey Blatche along with Yi Jianlian coming off the bench who still has a lot of promise and would benefit huge from playing like LeDouche. On the wings, they still had Josh Howard, Al Thornton and a bunch of other guys and overall, when you look at all the other pieces they had on that team, had Lebron chosen to go there, he would've had a much better and younger team around him then in Cleveland.

:facepalm: his legacy will be fine. Chicago and Miami were the most feasible options. How on earth is going to Miami a worse decision than going to Washington? Because John Wall is there? LOL. Winning was the catalyst of his decision. You haters need to get over that already

GeekInThePink
05-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I think he answered this question when he signed in Miami.

Law25
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
LeBron dosent think so so it dosent matter what we think. He could have waited and maybe convinced D12 this coming year, or because he cant tell the future he could have just went to New York with onr star and tried ther, but he didnt. He went to Miami with two franchise players. So again no he couldnt have done it because he didnt believe he could.

KnicksR4Real
05-26-2011, 09:01 PM
yes but he choked

KnicksR4Real
05-26-2011, 09:04 PM

washington? how about the bulls

The_905
05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
What language was that?? OP, how old are you?? that's a shame..

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 09:22 PM
yes, if he had players who were average/below average like he had in Cleveland, and one or two of them stepped up their game for a playoff run. Unfortunately, those average/below average, old and worn down, or whatever else, players didn't raise their game at all, instead they played worse than their average regular season.

But there are few players that come along that can win a ring without having a dominant roster, and LeBron is in the argument.

jrm2054
05-26-2011, 09:25 PM
No he proved it for 7 years

MrfadeawayJB
05-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes, but maybe LeBron wanted to jump on the big 3 with Wade and Bosh before someone else did such as Melo or Deron Williams

sep11ie
05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
In the WNBA maybe.

On a serious note, if anyone could, he could. When he plays distraction free he's unguardable. Size, speed, court vision, blah blah blah we all know.

Why was this thread started again?

avrpatsfan
05-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Remember that Lebron won 50+ games with his team in Cleveland. He could have won it in Cleveland IMO.

Ty Fast
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
even mj couldnt win it by himself. you need other guys around you. maybe not antoher superstar, but good players. look at the 04 pistons and some of those spurs teams. did not have 2 top 5 players but had a great team.

BSplaya2121
05-26-2011, 10:04 PM
If I remember correctly, Cleveland was very very close to acquiring Amare. If it was Stat and Lebron with the supporting cast of Varejao and Mo williams, i think they would have gotten it done (Jameson wouldn't have gotten traded and Hickson would have been centerpiece of deal).

However if that deal was made, Cleveland wouldn't have gotten the #1 pick this year.

Everything works out for a reason. If Miami gets to the Finals, they have to run into a team that is not only on fire, but very complete with a deep bench. So it will be very interesting to see.

DwayneMVPwade
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I think so.

THE MTL
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
I honestly believe that he would have eventually won ONE in Cleveland, but thats about it.

ManRam
05-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Probably not in Cleveland. No star can win alone. I don't think Jordan, Magic, Kobe, Larry etc. could have ever won a ring with that cast.

He probably would have won one eventually, but not many. No one wants to go to Cleveland, and that's apparent. When Mo Williams is the best FA signing in the LeBron era, you know you aren't an attractive market.

SeoulBeatz
05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
:facepalm: his legacy will be fine. Chicago and Miami were the most feasible options. How on earth is going to Miami a worse decision than going to Washington? Because John Wall is there? LOL. Winning was the catalyst of his decision. You haters need to get over that already

Yeah, I guess I'm a hater cause I realize he chose the easiest opportunity to win, and that's exactly what bothers me.

From a basketball standpoint, I would have much rather seen him carry his hometown team on his back and win several championships to put cleveland on the map.

I personally thought Cleveland was one GOOD player away from being in the Finals year after year. They had so much chemistry and Lebron meant so much to that city, most significantly financially.

I'm not a hater I think Miami will win a few rings and they'll get the job done, he made the secure choice... I just think he took the easy way out and he just doesn't look right at all in a heat uniform. It takes that aura away from him. Miami is D Wade's city and it's gonna stay that way when all this is said and done.

His legacy wlll be great, but it would've been more special if he did it for the little guys in Cleveland.

And I'm positive Miami fans would be saying the same thing if Bron and Wade joined Amare in NY or something, the legacy just ain't the same.

avrpatsfan
05-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Also Lebron made the finals in 2007 with a team full of scrubs. I honestly think he's good enough to win it on his own. Sure he did kind of cop out, but he could have.

Arch Stanton
05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
This seems like a Cleveland bashing thread. And no, Quitters can't win by themselves. That's why they need to cheat like that piece of dirt did last off season.

Ebbs
05-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Depends if you took away Wade + Bosh and added nothing. I would say no.

If you swapped JJ and Lebron I would say yes he could have still beat the Bulls.

Arch Stanton
05-27-2011, 12:27 AM
If I remember correctly, Cleveland was very very close to acquiring Amare. If it was Stat and Lebron with the supporting cast of Varejao and Mo williams, i think they would have gotten it done (Jameson wouldn't have gotten traded and Hickson would have been centerpiece of deal).

However if that deal was made, Cleveland wouldn't have gotten the #1 pick this year.

Everything works out for a reason. If Miami gets to the Finals, they have to run into a team that is not only on fire, but very complete with a deep bench. So it will be very interesting to see.

Yeah that's cause LeBron wouldn't let Amare know if he was gonna stay with the Cavs. Wouldn't commit because it would interfere with his 3 years in the making South Beach Heist.

Sadds The Gr8
05-27-2011, 12:31 AM
obviously he doesn't think so, or he wouldn't have left.

omdigga
05-27-2011, 12:35 AM
unfortunately for nba fans (except heat fans ofcourse)... we will never know

JordansBulls
05-27-2011, 12:37 AM
No, because he has 4 other teammates on the team.

Crackadalic
05-27-2011, 12:39 AM
The 04 pistons had 4 allstars in there starting lineup so idk why people act like they didnt have stars. Lebron supporting cast individually just wasnt that good at all. If Dan gilbert put in a better effort to bring in another star instead of wash up role players he would have stayed

mttwlsn16
05-27-2011, 12:48 AM
"Well if he had a better supporting cast than he had in Cleveland, then yes. However, I am not sure if there has been a championship team in history that didn't have two stars or at least one amazing player and a very, very good player."

:facepalm: ben wallace then was not even the ben wallace of cleveland. lebron had NOTHING for help w the cavs. if he had another star, or even a couple very good other players, no doubt cavs couldve won it

mttwlsn16
05-27-2011, 12:49 AM
No, because he has 4 other teammates on the team.

nba rosters only have 5 guys?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Arch Stanton
05-27-2011, 12:50 AM
The 04 pistons had 4 allstars in there starting lineup so idk why people act like they didnt have stars. Lebron supporting cast individually just wasnt that good at all. If Dan gilbert put in a better effort to bring in another star instead of wash up role players he would have stayed

You're completely wrong! LeBron knew he was leaving and handcuffed the organization. I agree that for NBA atheletes Cleveland isn't a desirable location. However they would've come had LeBron committed to the organization. Now I'm speaking about while Gilbert was owner not Gund. Let's face it LeBron gave up in himself as a leader so he joined Wade. LeBron is a great player but his legacy is altered.

Wade>You
05-27-2011, 01:17 AM
People don't realize how tough it is to win in the NBA. As much as the media tries to make it out to be about one player since the MJ era, it should be evident that one player cannot do it alone.

So no.

Raph12
05-27-2011, 01:42 AM
No, every great team has had atleast two great players...

SportsAndrew25
05-27-2011, 01:59 AM
If Dan Gilbert had given a **** and gave him a supporting cast, I would say yes.

Bruno
05-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Nobody wins anything alone. Even the greatest of players need all-star talent around them to win titles.

ldawg
05-27-2011, 06:07 AM
he has not won yet he has been here twice already

ldawg
05-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Not alone but yes as the only mega star on the team they just needed a post player on Cavs. Lebron time was coming with Boston ageing. But maybe ha saw himself not getting pass Howard, Wade and Rose alone anymore so he gang up with super talents.

hugepatsfan
05-27-2011, 09:55 AM
If Dan Gilbert had given a **** and gave him a supporting cast, I would say yes.

I'm not saying CLE gave him a great cast, but they really did the best they could. No one should criticize them. The only questionable move they made was going for Jamison instead of Stat. Other than that, they really made the best moves they could.

They HAD to go out and make moves. Lebron wouldn't allow them to stand pat because he constantly reminded them that if they didn't add pieces he's leave. That forced them into clogging their cap w/ mediocre talent in a desperation to try and win to entice Lebron to stay. It failed, which left them w/ no flexibility to get better, so Lebron jumped ship.

They were damned no matter what they did.

Mile High Champ
05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I would say no. I just never saw any reason to expect it in Cleveland and it is likely we will never know if Lebron could of won a championship without Bosh or Wade. It is unfortunate because his legacy when he retire will always being hampered by his decision to leave the Cavs for South Beach.

daleja424
05-27-2011, 10:09 AM
everyone needs a sidekick... EVERYONE

Jkid56
05-27-2011, 11:11 AM
nope. Ask Rose if he can win it alone :D

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 02:08 PM
Im still waiting to hear if there is any player in history that ever did win alone?

Where do people get these concepts from?

Big Game Son
05-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Absolutely not. This thread is ridiculous I'm sorry. Proven by Spurs championship series sweep. next.

knicks4life33
05-27-2011, 04:23 PM
im still waiting to hear if there is any player in history that ever did win alone?

Where do people get these concepts from?

hakeem the dream olajwjuan in 1994 aganist my knicks . Olajwuan carried his team bye himself to a championship and he didnt have any i mean any big players on his team . Thats a real champ for ya

Tony_Starks
05-27-2011, 04:32 PM
hakeem the dream olajwjuan in 1994 aganist my knicks . Olajwuan carried his team bye himself to a championship and he didnt have any i mean any big players on his team . Thats a real champ for ya

I remember that year. Thats when they cut to OJ in the broncho! Man I was so pissed off!

But I don't know man he did have a young Sam Cassell and Robert Horry who were seriously balling. Not to mention big Otis Thorpe crashing boards with him and a perimeter full of 3 point bombers like Kenny Smith, Mario Elie and Mad Max. That was a pretty nice supporting cast there, nothing to sneeze at!

Yankees Suck
05-27-2011, 04:34 PM
No.

autechre
05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
No player has ever won a championship single handedly. That's ridiculous. Jordan had Pippen. Duncan, had Ginobili and Parker along with David Robinson. Kobe had Shaq and vice versa, along with Gasol for the other run. Bird had Mchale and the chief Robert Parrish. ****, Stockton had Malone (2 of the best duos of all time no doubt) and they still couldn't win. So the answer is no, no, and, uh no.

autechre
05-27-2011, 04:50 PM

As great as Olajuwon was, and as much of a fan I am of his nastiness, downright one of the best of all time. Sweetest moves, would make everyone and anyone defending him look like a fool, He had help not superb talented help but excellent role players, yes. Vernon Maxwell, Alien-headed Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, Clyde the glide Drexler, Mario Elie. Clutch players right there. Can't remember the amount of times those role players sunk my hopes and dreams when playing the very talented Phoenix Suns of that time.

SportsFanatic10
05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
What language was that?? OP, how old are you?? that's a shame..

this lol....i'm not usually picky in forums but that was a huge fail. unless english isn't your first language.

JordansBulls
05-27-2011, 05:10 PM

Ben Wallace was the only allstar. Those other guys didn't become allstar till 2 years later.

PhillyFaninLA
05-27-2011, 05:18 PM
No....but these guys didn't win without help.

Wilt, Russel, West, Magic, Bird, Irving, Isiah Thomas, MJ, Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Pierce, and Drexler.

All those guys needed help.

PhillyFaninLA
05-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Fair point but he did have:

Sam Cassell
Otis Thorpe
Vernon Maxwell
Robert Horry
Mario Elie

So he had quite a few good players to make up for not having the other star. 5 good players having a good year can fill in for a second superstar. Especially when it was extremely difficult to score in the paint or grab a rebound.

Shahrose
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
If he had a decent cast around him, yes.

That squad he had in CLE was amazing and he couldnt win....