PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Rick Reilly: Hater Converted

daleja424
05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I thought this was a really good read on ESPN that really summed up how a lot of people here on PSD have changed their stance on Miami recently. It is the story of how hard it is becoming to hate Miami. I'm not delusional, there are a ton of people out there that continue to hate Miami... a majority in fact... but I think its cool that some of the haters are starting to see what HEAT fans see.

And before 15 of you come in and say, "HEAT forum!" I encourage you to read the article and consider that there are only 3 teams standing in the NBA right now. I think we can all agree that most nba stuff for the next couple weeks if going to center around Dallas and Miami/Chicago.

Anyways, here is the article:

It tastes like Drano in my mouth, but I've got to say it: The Miami Heat are pulling off one of the greatest I Told You So's in the history of American sports.

I hate how they conspired. Hate how they manipulated. Hate how they went behind the backs of the GMs and the league and their own teammates to pull off something so audacious it threatens to ruin the very fabric of the league.

And yet they're doing the single hardest thing in sports. They're living up to the hype.

Remember how they preened and pranced at that preseason throw-up-on-your-back-teeth debutante party in July as if they were the second coming of the 1991 Chicago Bulls?

Well, so far, aren't they?

Remember how Dwyane Wade said he and LeBron James and Chris Bosh would wind up in the discussion of the "best threesome" to ever play?

Well, won't they?

Remember when Wade said we should feel "sorry" for the other teams because they'd have to guard him and James at the same time?

I'd rather see Donald Trump on the $5 bill than see the Miami Heat win this championship.

Well, don't we?

Look, I'd rather see Donald Trump on the $5 bill than see the Miami Heat win this championship. Three superstars colluding to win a ring would be the worst thing to happen to the NBA since The Gold Club.

But you have to admit: They've been as good as they said they were going to be. Hubris 1, Humility 0.

From the moment James took what seemed like 11 cheese-filled hours to say, "I'm taking my talents to South Beach," the mocking began from Celtic Nation to Laker Land and everywhere in between.

Remember Orlando Magic president Otis Smith saying, "I thought he was more of a competitor"?

Well, James is 10-3 in these playoffs. Is that competitive enough for you?

Remember how the critics chirped that the only way the Heat can win is if there were three balls? That NBA superstars might be able to share groupies, but not limelight?

Well James, Wade and Bosh have led the team in scoring five, five and three times, respectively, in the playoffs so far. Is that sharing enough for you?

Remember Crygate?

Remember the five-game losing streak when everybody outside the 305 area code wrung their hands with glee and kept saying, "See? See? Greed kills!"?

Well, it doesn't.

Remember when writers wailed that Erik Spoelstra, the Heat head coach who looks like he's in his first year of divinity school, was too much of a milquetoast for the Threegos and should be replaced?

Well, Spoelstra weathered it with patience and guts.

You think James was under the gun? Can you imagine the vise Spoelstra's noggin was in? With Pat Riley and his six rings two rows behind him? But he hung in, stuck with his "Trust each other" mantra and now you wonder if they named the wrong guy Coach of the Year.

Remember the James jabbing? Remember "Witless," the beer brewed to mock LeBron and his Nike "Witness" campaign?

Remember when people were saying he failed more in crunch time than soggy corn flakes? When James had to apologize to his teammates for "failing them late in games" and promised, "I won't continue to do that"?

Well, he delivered. Game 5 in the Celtics series: scored the last 10 points. Game 2 versus Chicago: nine of the Heat's last 12. Game 3 versus Chicago: two daggers late.

Remember the Bosh bashing? Remember pundits saying the former Toronto Raptors superstar would simmer and then boil over at suddenly being a third wheel? Two and a Half Men? The Third Heatle? Remember when he said he needed to start getting the rock more often and where and when he liked it?

Well, Wade and James started giving it to him and now George Harrison has two 30-point games in these playoffs alone.

So, yes, it goes down my throat like tumbleweed, but I have to eat it: The Heat were right. They've been as good as advertised.

Actually, they've been better.

You knew Miami was getting three mega-scorers on one team who were going to wear out a lot of scoreboard operators' thumbs. But what's happened instead? They've been winning it with great passing, teamwork and suffocating, selfless, you-cover-my-butt-while-I-cover-yours defense. The Psychic Helpline couldn't have predicted that.

I want to hate the Heat, want it like my next breath, but Wade is nice, James is fun, Bosh is sincere, Spoelstra is cool, Riley is brilliant, and the way they all play is so damn selfless, I can't.

I'm pissed that I can't be pissed.

And it makes me think.

Remember when James said they might win seven titles before their own personal Dream Team's days were through?

Well, that's still stupid.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6583675

and to all my fellow HEAT fans... this is not a thread for your gloating and mocking... leave in the HEAT forum guys. This is a thread for all the haters, ex-haters, and nuetral fans to voice an opinion. If HEAT fans want to contribute, feel free, but do it respectfully guys!

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
While the hatred for the Heat is still at a high, I think many have come to accept that they will be a championship favorite for a number of years now. And as much as the casual basketball fan wants to hate LeBron, Wade, or Bosh, they still sit there in awe in front of their television at times.

I didn't think the Heat would be this good this fast. I figured they had some finetuning to do. Guess I was wrong.

They still have to close out a desperate Chicago team, something much easier said than done, and beat a determined Mavericks, which will be the toughest opponent they face in the playoffs. But this Miami team is a completely different team than we saw in October. They are hardened by the criticism, and tough as nails. And LeBron James is on a mission, its obvious at this point.

Go Heat.

mttwlsn16
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
im pulling for them to beat the bulls...never thought id say that, ever. but i want dallas just soo dirk and kidd can get a ring

jockrider
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
not going to lie the heat losing use to make me happy especially at the start of the season. but the hate got old fast when everyone in the world started to hate them like jealous teenage girls for every wrong move.

SteBO
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Rick Reilly has been very adament with his negative feelings and input towards the Heat, but I respect the fact that he's willing to admit when he's wrong, analyze what he sees, and then come to reason about how just how far the Heat have come since the beginning of this year. Lets keep in mind though that the Bulls are a 62-win team and the Heat still have to close out @Chicago, a place the Bulls have lost only 7 times all year. Add in the fact they're starving for a win tonight, makes this game 5 even tougher than Game 4, and you saw that game went.

On topic, Rick is willing to admit his mistakes, unlike guys like Charles Barkely, Jason Whitlock, John Barry, all guys who have their minds made up that they will never like this team no matter how well they do, or don't do for that matter. Thanks Rick Reilly, I'm glad to know that there is one out there. :)

PHX2daDEATH
05-26-2011, 09:04 AM
From a basketball fan standpoint its a beautiful thing to watch, I didnt expect Chicago to hang with these guys @ any round in the playoffs, even though I was rooting for the Bulls..as the year went by I was convinced it was going to be a Miami/Lakers finals. I was almost right i guess... the thing i take is..there was no basketball related thing to hate about the team..only off-court stuff..if they start winning the east every damn year for the next 5 or 6 seasons then they'll get even more hate so what does it matter, it'll just mean they had a reason for all the gloating and were confident and brash and young..I think this is going to a great finals should Miami eliminate Chicago tonight..

jtsunami
05-26-2011, 09:07 AM
I have no problem hating the Heat and wishing they never win a championship.

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 09:25 AM
There is a huge difference between thinking they are going to win, and respecting them.

It's a team with LeBron, Bosh, and Wade. If you didn't think they had a solid chance to win a title this season, you are an idiot.

Do I respect them? No.

JonnyBrav000
05-26-2011, 09:44 AM
I thought this was a really good read on ESPN that really summed up how a lot of people here on PSD have changed their stance on Miami recently. It is the story of how hard it is becoming to hate Miami. I'm not delusional, there are a ton of people out there that continue to hate Miami... a majority in fact... but I think its cool that some of the haters are starting to see what HEAT fans see.

And before 15 of you come in and say, "HEAT forum!" I encourage you to read the article and consider that there are only 3 teams standing in the NBA right now. I think we can all agree that most nba stuff for the next couple weeks if going to center around Dallas and Miami/Chicago.

Anyways, here is the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6583675

and to all my fellow HEAT fans... this is not a thread for your gloating and mocking... leave in the HEAT forum guys. This is a thread for all the haters, ex-haters, and nuetral fans to voice an opinion. If HEAT fans want to contribute, feel free, but do it respectfully guys!

BORING... Thought this would be more interesting and yes this needs to go to the HEAT FORUM. By the way, don't count your chickens before they hatch, Dallas is looking really really good right now, championships are won on the court so until this Heat team does it, they haven't done anything. And tell you what, I have no problems rooting against Lebum. Too bad because I would like to be a Wade fan but Bosh and Lebron can kiss the back of a porcupine's A$S.

Bulls_fan90
05-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Heat forum

Double_R
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I don't hate the Heat, I hate the new Heat fans.

daleja424
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
BORING... Thought this would be more interesting and yes this needs to go to the HEAT FORUM. By the way, don't count your chickens before they hatch, Dallas is looking really really good right now, championships are won on the court so until this Heat team does it, they haven't done anything. And tell you what, I have no problems rooting against Lebum. Too bad because I would like to be a Wade fan but Bosh and Lebron can kiss the back of a porcupine's A$S.

Something must be wrong with your reading comprhension... in what way am I counting my chickens before they hatch? I haven't even assumed the HEAt will be the Bulls yet...which 80% of PSD has already conceeded.

D-Block21-Chito
05-26-2011, 10:02 AM
I just hate lebron and his child antics all game long... How often you see D-rose act like a fool? Your leader can trash talk but not gloat (Let bosh and boozer scream..Lebron wake up dude)

SteBO
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
I just hate lebron and his child antics all game long... How often you see D-rose act like a fool? Your leader can trash talk but not gloat (Let bosh and boozer scream..Lebron wake up dude)

I admit Rose carries a calm demeanor during the game, but LeBron just shows emotion and enjoys playing the game of basketball, something professional athletes as a whole should do. If that's acting like a fool to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

daleja424
05-26-2011, 10:06 AM
...I think we all know that Rose is the exception... not the rule. Lebron acts like most players act... but when he does it... its wrong.

Just because Derrick Rose is completely emotionless doesn't really mean its the way it is suppose to be. Im pretty sure that MJ was NEVER EVER humble in his life... and yet you're a Bulls fan...

hugepatsfan
05-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I'll never root for Lebron. Great player, but I just don't respect him as a competitor.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
...I think we all know that Rose is the exception... not the rule. Lebron acts like most players act... but when he does it... its wrong.

Just because Derrick Rose is completely emotionless doesn't really mean its the way it is suppose to be. Im pretty sure that MJ was NEVER EVER humble in his life... and yet you're a Bulls fan...

anything and everthing LeBron does is amplified. There is nothing he can do or say that will not be overblown by the average fan.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I'll never root for Lebron. Great player, but I just don't respect him as a competitor.

why?

TO to the CHI
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
I think the article is well written, but I am not sure that even the Heat haters are unable to appreciate what they are doing or the fact that they are an imposing team. I am not a fan of Lebron, but I have acknowledged on numerous occassions that he is the best player on earth. Similarly, I am not a CB4/1 fan, but I never made crazy statements that Boozer is better or anything of that nature. And I always thought the Heat were a threat to win it all in any given season (just not that it was automatic that they would win).

The bottom line is that the people that just hate the Heat and deny their talents are either ignoring reality or blinded by their hate. But there are lots of people that are rooting against the Heat but recognize how good they are. This is no different than rooting against the Celts/Lakers, the Yankees, the Montreal Canadiens, etc.

There is a significant difference between rooting against a team and not being able to take a step back and analyze that team.

SteBO
05-26-2011, 10:22 AM

I still have yet to understand this line of reasoning. The guys' clearly a competitor, so I don't see what you mean here.

hugepatsfan
05-26-2011, 10:22 AM
why?

Last year in CLE he didn't even care in game 6. Anyone who watched could see that.

It goes back further than that though. He's always had a "bigger than the game" attitude IMO. I've always felt he plays basketball more because he can and not because he wants to.

TO to the CHI
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
anything and everthing LeBron does is amplified. There is nothing he can do or say that will not be overblown by the average fan.

He is the best player in the world. By a pretty wide margin. Obviously he is going to get the most scrutiny. He is also the most marketable and does a pretty good job of keeping himself in the public eye for better or worse. You act like he is the first top dog to not have everything overblown. See Bonds, Barry; Bryant, Kobe; Jordan, Michael, etc. It is a proud tradition and reflects on Lebron's talent.

why?

This is just a stupid question. No disrespect to Lebron or his supporters, but it is clear there are reasons why people would not respect Lebron as a competitor. The most obvious are the fact that he teamed up with others because he could not get it done on his own (and arguably colluded to do so). That he appeared to quit on his team in the playoffs last year. That he celebrates before the season or after the second round instead of waiting till he wins a title. Those are just examples. And let's not detract from the thread by debating whether these points are accurate. Their accuracy is irrelevant. You were challenging someone's perception of lebron as a competitor and each of these points can undeniably affect that perception. Thus, whether you agree or disagree with the arguments, it is foolish to try to take a position that the arguments aren't there.

TO to the CHI
05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I still have yet to understand this line of reasoning. The guys' clearly a competitor, so I don't see what you mean here.

See below. I tend to agree generally that he is a competitor, but there are reasons why someone could take the opposite position. And many people have elaborated on those reasons at length. You can disagree and that is totally fair. But to stick your head in the sand about it is just foolish.

ManRam
05-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I started supporting the Heat about halfway through the season. The hate and unrivaled vitriol that they received was something I've never seen. How they were treated did not equal what they deserved. Yes, they deserve some criticism for how things were handled, but no, they aren't the three most evil humans ever joining up to form a team seeking to take over the world and enslave the masses. They are just three guys exercising their right to join up, knowing they were going to sacrifice a lot, all in order to win.

I understand the hate LeBron received for The Decision. I also know that, and it's been hinted at majorly, that if he could do it again he wouldn't do it again. He was pressured into it. Jim Gray, the host, said that LeBron never wanted to do it himself, but his handlers saw dollar signs. LeBron did, allegedly, only agree to do it when charity was agreed upon. No one could have expected this backlash. No one was criticizing him BEFORE it happened, they started criticizing when he went to the one place no one wanted him to go to.

I could go on forever. Sure, LeBron dances and has fun on the court. Sure, he didn't shake a team's hands that one time. Sure, he likes to celebrate and shows emotion on the court...but Jesus...none of that makes him the evil being most people make him out to be. Dancing builds team chemistry, and all his teammates in Cleveland said he was a tremendous leader and chemistry-builder. Sure, he didn't shake hands that one time, but you know what, it happens a ton of times, and he's learned from it. He's allowed to make mistakes. Sure, he celebrates and has fun...but honestly, if anyone else did the celebrating he does (and you better believe a lot of players do), you wouldn't care.

The hate doesn't equal the deserved amount it should...and that's why I do support them. They have lived up to the hype. I mean, people are really saying that they know he doesn't play basketball because he wants to, but only because he can? Are you serious? Do you not see the emotion in him and the drive. If all he wanted was to be a huge ego-maniacal superstar, he wouldn't have gone to Miami (less money, smaller market, less chance of legacy).

The dude wants to win and have fun...and us criticizing him constantly for that is nothing short of pure hilarity.

I mean, people hate him, not think less of him, but HATE him, for things like "he's not a competitor" and all that jazz. That's not reason to HATE, that's reason to not hold him in as high regard as his peers. But that's not something worthy of hating. He's hated for things that 99.99% of the league gets a pass for. He really is. Dancing? Hate. Not shaking hands? Hate. Traveling? Hate. Potentially giving up? Hate. Says the wrong thing? Hate.

We don't treat others like we treat him. Even the most hateful of "haters" have to be able to see this.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Last year in CLE he didn't even care in game 6. Anyone who watched could see that.

It goes back further than that though. He's always had a "bigger than the game" attitude IMO. I've always felt he plays basketball more because he can and not because he wants to.

anyone who thinks 100% of the players in professional sports don't take possessions off is nuts.

Now, how on earth can you say he isn't a competitor? You can tell he plays to win.

SteBO
05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
See below. I tend to agree generally that he is a competitor, but there are reasons why someone could take the opposite position. And many people have elaborated on those reasons at length. You can disagree and that is totally fair. But to stick your head in the sand about it is just foolish.

Guess you're right. Your last sentence is the problem I have with the media this NBA season as a whole. Some of them have yet to acknowledge the Heat, which is fine I guess, I should be used to that in all honesty.

Anyway, I see the other way too. Neutral fans loved to see LeBron break his back in Cleveland and put up 43 points, 15 rebounds, 13 assists type numbers every night. I get that part of it. But where was it getting him in the long run? Even now with two other All-Star players, his numbers aren't much different them when speaking on a per game average level. But the media takes offseason into account for everything, and that isn't right, period.

Perfect example: LeBron was a unanimous All-NBA first teamer, yet 9 people left him off the MVP ballot completely. :rolleyes: That is the biggest joke I've ever seen in the NBA. My take on that is, if you aren't going to take the voting seriously, then don't vote. Period.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
He is the best player in the world. By a pretty wide margin. Obviously he is going to get the most scrutiny. He is also the most marketable and does a pretty good job of keeping himself in the public eye for better or worse. You act like he is the first top dog to not have everything overblown. See Bonds, Barry; Bryant, Kobe; Jordan, Michael, etc. It is a proud tradition and reflects on Lebron's talent.

This is just a stupid question. No disrespect to Lebron or his supporters, but it is clear there are reasons why people would not respect Lebron as a competitor. The most obvious are the fact that he teamed up with others because he could not get it done on his own (and arguably colluded to do so). That he appeared to quit on his team in the playoffs last year. That he celebrates before the season or after the second round instead of waiting till he wins a title. Those are just examples. And let's not detract from the thread by debating whether these points are accurate. Their accuracy is irrelevant. You were challenging someone's perception of lebron as a competitor and each of these points can undeniably affect that perception. Thus, whether you agree or disagree with the arguments, it is foolish to try to take a position that the arguments aren't there.

I have watched sports a long time, and never seen the criticism by the general masses (outside of ARod for a very short time) that LeBron gets.

I still find it amazing that so many smash on LeBron for one playoff game, when we have seen Kobe do the same damn thing for example. LeBron is absolutely a competitor, as he has shown his whole career. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be regarded as a great teammate, and have the success he has had.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 10:48 AM
ManRam touched on something else that I agree with. Before the season, I honestly was eh about the Heat. Had no opinion. But the general media, and many fans, literally drove me to root for them.

mikealike305
05-26-2011, 10:50 AM

hey man i havnt seen u post in awhile! ready for the game tonight?
do u like my sig? lol

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Giving up in Cleveland for an easier shot at a title in Miami = lost respect for his competitive nature.

mjm07
05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

Great players are great competitors IMO. Its fine not to root for a player but I think you don't respect him for other reason not about him being a competitor.

WeBallin
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM
This thread is straight trash!!!!!....lol seriously Heat Fans....jus as much as it was an adjust for the Lil Three, it was a Adjustment for the league too, without the ability to add new Young pieces....The Heat won't be no differ then when they won the chip with Shaq, If the heat win this year don't expect another no time soon....

TO to the CHI
05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I have watched sports a long time, and never seen the criticism by the general masses (outside of ARod for a very short time) that LeBron gets.

I still find it amazing that so many smash on LeBron for one playoff game, when we have seen Kobe do the same damn thing for example. LeBron is absolutely a competitor, as he has shown his whole career. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be regarded as a great teammate, and have the success he has had.

Lebron gets a lot of criticism, but I don't think it is more than what Kobe, Bonds or many others have received. If anything it may just be amplified in volume because of the various mediums from which criticism can now be levied (I am looking at you Twitter).

I think your second point is well taken. I think the Lakers gave up against Boston in the last game of the 2008 finals and who could forget Kobe's "I'm not shooting" game. And those are just two examples. I have always viewed that as being weak and a lack of respect for the game (and a detriment to his competitiveness), so I don't think it is different than Lebron (i.e. I view it as being bad in both instances). But you are probably right that Lebron does get more heat for that aspect of it than Kobe did (perhaps because Kobe has multiple rings, which Lebron very well may have as well).

mikealike305
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
This thread is straight trash!!!!!....lol seriously Heat Fans....jus as much as it was an adjust for the Lil Three, it was a Adjustment for the league too, without the ability to add new Young pieces....The Heat won't be no differ then when they won the chip with Shaq, If the heat win this year don't expect another no time soon....

lol this post is straight trash. really? so there will be no difference between a team with shaq leaving his prime and a team with lebron entering his prime?
also with a healthy miller and haslem? :facepalm:
if the heat win this year, they WILL win ATLEAST 2 more

Hawkeye15
Lebron gets a lot of criticism, but I don't think it is more than what Kobe, Bonds or many others have received. If anything it may just be amplified in volume because of the various mediums from which criticism can now be levied (I am looking at you Twitter).

I think your second point is well taken. I think the Lakers gave up against Boston in the last game of the 2008 finals and who could forget Kobe's "I'm not shooting" game. And those are just two examples. I have always viewed that as being weak and a lack of respect for the game (and a detriment to his competitiveness), so I don't think it is different than Lebron (i.e. I view it as being bad in both instances). But you are probably right that Lebron does get more heat for that aspect of it than Kobe did (perhaps because Kobe has multiple rings, which Lebron very well may have as well).

and yet, if you polled the media, GM's, and fans, Kobe would win in a "Who is the most competitive NBA player" poll in a complete landslide.

That is exactly what I am talking about.

D-Block21-Chito
I started supporting the Heat about halfway through the season. The hate and unrivaled vitriol that they received was something I've never seen. How they were treated did not equal what they deserved. Yes, they deserve some criticism for how things were handled, but no, they aren't the three most evil humans ever joining up to form a team seeking to take over the world and enslave the masses. They are just three guys exercising their right to join up, knowing they were going to sacrifice a lot, all in order to win.

I understand the hate LeBron received for The Decision. I also know that, and it's been hinted at majorly, that if he could do it again he wouldn't do it again. He was pressured into it. Jim Gray, the host, said that LeBron never wanted to do it himself, but his handlers saw dollar signs. LeBron did, allegedly, only agree to do it when charity was agreed upon. No one could have expected this backlash. No one was criticizing him BEFORE it happened, they started criticizing when he went to the one place no one wanted him to go to.

I could go on forever. Sure, LeBron dances and has fun on the court. Sure, he didn't shake a team's hands that one time. Sure, he likes to celebrate and shows emotion on the court...but Jesus...none of that makes him the evil being most people make him out to be. Dancing builds team chemistry, and all his teammates in Cleveland said he was a tremendous leader and chemistry-builder. Sure, he didn't shake hands that one time, but you know what, it happens a ton of times, and he's learned from it. He's allowed to make mistakes. Sure, he celebrates and has fun...but honestly, if anyone else did the celebrating he does (and you better believe a lot of players do), you wouldn't care.

The hate doesn't equal the deserved amount it should...and that's why I do support them. They have lived up to the hype. I mean, people are really saying that they know he doesn't play basketball because he wants to, but only because he can? Are you serious? Do you not see the emotion in him and the drive. If all he wanted was to be a huge ego-maniacal superstar, he wouldn't have gone to Miami (less money, smaller market, less chance of legacy).

The dude wants to win and have fun...and us criticizing him constantly for that is nothing short of pure hilarity.

I mean, people hate him, not think less of him, but HATE him, for things like "he's not a competitor" and all that jazz. That's not reason to HATE, that's reason to not hold him in as high regard as his peers. But that's not something worthy of hating. He's hated for things that 99.99% of the league gets a pass for. He really is. Dancing? Hate. Not shaking hands? Hate. Traveling? Hate. Potentially giving up? Hate. Says the wrong thing? Hate.

We don't treat others like we treat him. Even the most hateful of "haters" have to be able to see this.

Listen buddy you have your own opinion and you are entitled to it. Don't tell me how to hate or how to act. I don't give a chit what you think just like you could care less about my opinion but it is my opinion. Never tell fans how to hate or like a player

daleja424
05-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Giving up in Cleveland for an actual shot at a title in Miami = no respect lost for his competitive nature.
Thats more accurate

I knoe man... Its straight wack. Dem ignant people need to do them some learning.

No but for real, you have absolutly NO CLUE what you are talking about...so please stop.

DJYankee
05-26-2011, 11:04 AM
That article is too premature. This is not their year either. Doesn't change my mind one bit about how I feel about the Heats.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Listen buddy you have your own opinion and you are entitled to it. Don't tell me how to hate or how to act. I don't give a chit what you think just like you could care less about my opinion but it is my opinion. Never tell fans how to hate or like a player

where did he tell you, or anyone, how to act? You are going after one of the most rational posters on this entire site. You are entitled to your opinion. But it doesn't mean its not childish...

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM
If Kobe Bryant promised to bring a championship to LA, and left town after failing to team up with 2 other star players...i'd lose respect for him as a competitor.

DJYankee
05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
if kobe bryant promised to bring a championship to la, and left town after failing to team up with 2 other star players...i'd lose respect for him as a competitor.

agree

SteBO
05-26-2011, 11:08 AM

ManRam said nothing wrong here. How is he telling us how to hate or like someone? Just curious.

sixer04fan
05-26-2011, 11:08 AM
There is a huge difference between thinking they are going to win, and respecting them.

It's a team with LeBron, Bosh, and Wade. If you didn't think they had a solid chance to win a title this season, you are an idiot.

Do I respect them? No.

I completely agree

LionsFan..LOL
05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I still dislike Miami and will forever (or until LBJ leaves) but I have a lot of respect for how they are playing both on offense and defense. They are a good team and if the win the title they deserve too because they earned it but I will be rooting against it.

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Thats more accurate

I knoe man... Its straight wack. Dem ignant people need to do them some learning.

No but for real, you have absolutly NO CLUE what you are talking about...so please stop.

I see...so I guess going into the playoffs as the number 1 seed 2 years in a row isn't an actual shot at a title? Yes he carried that team on his back, but if they were good enough to win 60+ then they were good enough to win a title.

And if not, work with management to move some pieces around.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he did what he did, I'm just saying that it wasn't the mark of a great competitor. Jordan didn't win a championship as a rookie. He worked his arse off to get it. A lot of other players have lead their teams to do the same. Why should I respect LeBron more as a competitor?

ManRam
05-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Comparing LeBron's situation to Kobe's situation is a joke. Kobe was in probably the biggest, maybe second biggest (to NYK), basketball market from the get go. For the bulk of his career, he's had a hall of fame sidekick as well. He's played under the best coach of all time.

Let's not forget, Kobe forced his way out of Charlotte to LA in the first place. He didn't want to even try in a small market. At least LeBron tried, saw that it was basically impossible to convince a legit #2 option to go to Cleveland, gave Cleveland a lot of solid years and the most success they've ever seen, and then exercised his right to leave when he felt he needed/wanted to. Winning it all was not possible in Cleveland. People act like LeBron failed because he never won...name me one star that could win it all with that cast. I sure as hell can't. Even Jordan never had to win it all with a cast half as bad as that.

D-Block21-Chito
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Ok my apologies... I'm full of hate and I'm entitled to it lol. I respect the level of play by Wade,Lebron,Bosh and all other heat players BUT I just don't like how they carry themselves off and ON the court and I just don't want to hear why they don't derserve hate from NBA fans. I'm a season ticket holder of the bulls and I'm just pist off. I'm a true fan and I feel lebron is just rubbing everyting in our faces where our leader rose composes him self

SteBO
05-26-2011, 11:19 AM
I see...so I guess going into the playoffs as the number 1 seed 2 years in a row isn't an actual shot at a title? Yes he carried that team on his back, but if they were good enough to win 60+ then they were good enough to win a title.

That's not necessarily true. It was clear that the Cavs certainly had a shot at it, but I've said numerous time then, though I wasn't a member here, that the Cavs were really 3rd best team in the East. Why? LeBron was everything to that team, and once teams figured out how to at least slow him, then you've won the most important battle. I always thought last year, that Boston was the favorite in the east, because they had numerous options they could go to, along with along with great, championship level defense. However, regular season and playoffs simply don't go together and that's been evident every year. You can win as many as games in the regular season as you want, but when it's a completely different ballgame come postseason.

uncleben989
05-26-2011, 11:19 AM
its funny how many of the heat's haters cite banding up to make a superteam unfair, while they campaigning for the Dwight Howards, Chris Pauls, D-wills, etc. to form a superteam of their own

mjm07
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
^ i think he was agreeing with you and not with the other dude.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
If Kobe Bryant promised to bring a championship to LA, and left town after failing to team up with 2 other star players...i'd lose respect for him as a competitor.

luckily Kobe was drafted by an organization that was known for winning, great management, and had a certain 7' center in his prime...

mikealike305
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
whos is more hated?
Lebron when leaving to Miami in FA?
or kobe when he was aquised of raping someone?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM
And if not, work with management to move some pieces around.

I'm not saying I don't understand why he did what he did, I'm just saying that it wasn't the mark of a great competitor. Jordan didn't win a championship as a rookie. He worked his arse off to get it. A lot of other players have lead their teams to do the same. Why should I respect LeBron more as a competitor?

you aren't properly evaluating their roster with that perception. His roster was garbage. I can not be convinced that any other player I have watched could have done what LeBron did with that roster. It was exposed by great defensive teams, that just walled up around LeBron, and forced his garbage players to beat them. And that is when they went home.

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Comparing LeBron's situation to Kobe's situation is a joke. Kobe was in probably the biggest, maybe second biggest (to NYK), basketball market from the get go. For the bulk of his career, he's had a hall of fame sidekick as well. He's played under the best coach of all time.

Let's not forget, Kobe forced his way out of Charlotte to LA in the first place. He didn't want to even try in a small market. At least LeBron tried, saw that it was basically impossible to convince a legit #2 option to go to Cleveland, gave Cleveland a lot of solid years and the most success they've ever seen, and then exercised his right to leave when he felt he needed/wanted to. Winning it all was not possible in Cleveland. People act like LeBron failed because he never won...name me one star that could win it all with that cast. I sure as hell can't. Even Jordan never had to win it all with a cast half as bad as that.

I don't at all believe that Kobe forced his way out of Charlotte:
http://www2.journalnow.com/sports/2008/jun/18/lakers-trade-for-bryant-has-been-misconstrued-ar-113126/

mjm07
05-26-2011, 11:28 AM
you aren't properly evaluating their roster with that perception. His roster was garbage. I can not be convinced that any other player I have watched could have done what LeBron did with that roster. It was exposed by great defensive teams, that just walled up around LeBron, and forced his garbage players to beat them. And that is when they went home.

Which is what Miami is doing to the Bulls. Great point.

mikealike305
05-26-2011, 11:31 AM

this.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:32 AM

well, the Bulls have much more talent and depth than LeBron's Cavs did, but yes, same principle.

D-Block21-Chito
05-26-2011, 11:33 AM
whos is more hated?
Lebron when leaving to Miami in FA?
or kobe when he was aquised of raping someone?

Lebron by a landslide at least in chicago. Almost everyone in chicago loves kobe

WadeCounty
05-26-2011, 11:33 AM

This is a great example of "haters gonna hate"

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:34 AM

You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't feel like a "garbage" team can win 60+ games in an 82 game season. Maybe it wasn't a team full of individual stars, but it was a team that played well together.

And even if they were, there was no reason to throw in the towel. He was/is still very young. Jordan battled it out with his fair share of garbage teams. He got the hell beaten out of him, he got swept, he didn't win a championship until his 7th year in the league. Jordan didn't quit. Even if he only won 1 championship in Chicago, I would have still maintained my respect for him as a competitor.

All I'm trying to say is that I would have respected 1 hard earned championship in Cleveland WAY more than I would respect multiple championships in Miami. LeBron obviously didn't feel the same, and it's not my job to tell him what to do (otherwise i'd be making much more money).

Bubba17
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
its funny how many of the heat's haters cite banding up to make a superteam unfair, while they campaigning for the Dwight Howards, Chris Pauls, D-wills, etc. to form a superteam of their own

That's because they want another superteam to challenge Miami so it doesn't win 5 championships in a row..

To the topic, I never really disliked the Heat team until all of the annoying, bandwagon fans came out on here and started bragging and gloating. Another part that made me dislike them was the whole "not one, not two, not three.." line. Like really, shut up. They didn't even play a game together yet and they were already saying that. But, I understand why they teamed up and I'm sure everyone single person would have done the same thing they did if given the opportunity.

TO to the CHI
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
luckily Kobe was drafted by an organization that was known for winning, great management, and had a certain 7' center in his prime...

The Charlotte Hornets?????

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:43 AM

The Hornets? lol

And where was Jordan drafted to? A team not known for winning, not known for great management, and no legitimate player in his prime at all...at any height (maybe Orlando Woolrdige?). There team rebounding leader had 6.5 a game...and it was Jordan. Highest 3-point shooting percentage on the team? 27%.

I'm sorry..but if Jordan didn't quit, it's hard for me to give a pass to anybody who does. I do still think that LeBron is a strong competitor, but don't expect me to glorify his competitiveness...ever.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't feel like a "garbage" team can win 60+ games in an 82 game season. Maybe it wasn't a team full of individual stars, but it was a team that played well together.

And even if they were, there was no reason to throw in the towel. He was/is still very young. Jordan battled it out with his fair share of garbage teams. He got the hell beaten out of him, he got swept, he didn't win a championship until his 7th year in the league. Jordan didn't quit. Even if he only won 1 championship in Chicago, I would have still maintained my respect for him as a competitor.

All I'm trying to say is that I would have respected 1 hard earned championship in Cleveland WAY more than I would respect multiple championships in Miami. LeBron obviously didn't feel the same, and it's not my job to tell him what to do (otherwise i'd be making much more money).

when your management rejects a trade for Amare because they believe JJ Hickson will be a special player, its time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 11:48 AM
The Charlotte Hornets?????

you both know exactly what I mean...

AlexTmz2
05-26-2011, 11:49 AM
It kinda made sense all along. The Heat are clearly going to win multiple championships. I knew that all along and everyone else did also. Some ppl just couldn't accept it. I just didn't think they would pull it off the first year. Glad to see them thriving towards all the negativity since the start of the season. I see Heat taking it all this year.

pd1dish
05-26-2011, 11:50 AM
i dont respect, and never will respect Lebron. and its not because of his move to Miami. as a Bulls fan, i hated Lebron while he was at Cleveland beating up on the Bulls every year, however, i had respect for him because he is a great player. i lost respect for him when he blatantly gave up on Cleveland in the playoffs last year. although, it made me happy from a Cleveland hater standpoint, but thats still the lowest thing you can to your fans who loved Lebron so much

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
when your management rejects a trade for Amare because they believe JJ Hickson will be a special player, its time to wake up and smell the coffee.

That's your opinion.

Some people stand up and fight when faced with adversity. Some people bolt for Miami. I'm not hating on the guy, i'm happy for him.

whitemamba33
05-26-2011, 11:55 AM
you both know exactly what I mean...

lol it was a joke..lighten up.

WeBallin
05-26-2011, 11:57 AM
i dont respect, and never will respect Lebron. and its not because of his move to Miami. as a Bulls fan, i hated Lebron while he was at Cleveland beating up on the Bulls every year, however, i had respect for him because he is a great player. i lost respect for him when he blatantly gave up on Cleveland in the playoffs last year. although, it made me happy from a Cleveland hater standpoint, but thats still the lowest thing you can to your fans who loved Lebron so much

Completely Agree, LBJ lost all cred with me once he bailed on the cavs

justinnum1
05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

Sadds The Gr8
05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

this. i still hate them and always will.

Slimsim
05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't hate the big three in miami Just their Bandwagon fans. But i don't want them winning a championship until they go through the NYK once they are complete. BUt lets all face it THE NYK is the closest thing in the East that can probably upset miami for the next 5 years. I know a lot of PSD hater like to bring up the fact that melo is 1 dimensional same for Amare and that We can't sign Cp3, Also that the Knicks don't play defense.

But a guy like melo a offensive powerhouse could SLow LBJ james down something Deng can't do because he's not a top offensive player. LBJ don't really need to put pressure on Deng on the offensive end.

Amare and bosh cancel each other out

Wade would have the advantage at the 2 and if we get paul we would have the Advantage at the point.

Miami big three would still be better but anything can happen

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 12:17 PM
lol it was a joke..lighten up.

I know it was a joke homie, no worries

Jahari Kavi
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
ManRam touched on something else that I agree with. Before the season, I honestly was eh about the Heat. Had no opinion. But the general media, and many fans, literally drove me to root for them.

I've always liked the three so I was happy to see it happen, but like u I am hoping they win it all just because all the hate they received

Jahari Kavi
05-26-2011, 12:28 PM
And if u aren't a Cavs fan then u have no valid reason to hate the decision...the hatred is a clear example of group think....u hate the way he celebrates? Really?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
I've always liked the three so I was happy to see it happen, but like u I am hoping they win it all just because all the hate they received

I have never seen an athlete that had so many fans out there living vicariously through their failures. It simply amazes me

Motowncool
05-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't hate the Heat, I hate the new Heat fans.

I agree with this 100%. I hated LeBron in Ohio because I'm a Michigan man and we hate all things down there. Loved it when he left and how he left because it drove the knife in with a twist. What better could happen to my buds from Ohio saying that LBJ was bringing rings to Ohio.

Now that he's in Miami I have no ill feelings toward him. As a diehard (very hard) Pistons fan I also hate the Bulls. As a long time NBA fan I would love to see Kidd and Dirk and even Cuban get a championship.

But I root for Detroit, so whatever happens, happens. The bandwagoners need to quit playing! Go back to rooting for LA, USC, the Cowboys and the Yankees. Leave the Heat to the real Heat fans.

AlexTmz2
05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Calm down :facepalm:

mjm07
05-26-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't hate the big three in miami Just their Bandwagon fans. But i don't want them winning a championship until they go through the NYK once they are complete. BUt lets all face it THE NYK is the closest thing in the East that can probably upset miami for the next 5 years. I know a lot of PSD hater like to bring up the fact that melo is 1 dimensional same for Amare and that We can't sign Cp3, Also that the Knicks don't play defense.

But a guy like melo a offensive powerhouse could SLow LBJ james down something Deng can't do because he's not a top offensive player. LBJ don't really need to put pressure on Deng on the offensive end.

Amare and bosh cancel each other out

Wade would have the advantage at the 2 and if we get paul we would have the Advantage at the point.

Miami big three would still be better but anything can happen

Lets face what?? you gotta love delusional fans, especially delusional knick fans. I mean seriously?!?!

I would alway tell my Knick fan friends that I hope the Knicks get Melo b/c I wanted the rivalry to exist again andd really hope they get a PG of CP3's caliber. To trully give the heat competition.

However, as the teams stand now. NO WAY IN HELL do the knicks get past Boston/Bulls let alone the Heat. Talk to me when the Knicks start playing defense. Melo makes Deng look like the Defensive player of year. I actually like Amare cuz he *atleast* tries to play defense but makes any forward look like the next coming of Bill Russell. ok that might be too much but not as much as saying the Knicks are the closest team to upset Miami. Yeah maybe 1 out of 5 tries in the regular season. Come on, dude!!!???!!!!

8kobe24
05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Well the heat have been "as good as advertised", rocky start to the season, but got it together. I hope they do win the championship for their sake. At the end of the day, they all can say... it took not 1, not 2, but 3 superstars (with a few good role players that took pay cuts) to win this championship. Hey a ring is a ring right?

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Well the heat have been "as good as advertised", rocky start to the season, but got it together. I hope they do win the championship for their sake. At the end of the day, they all can say... it took not 1, not 2, but 3 superstars (with a few good role players that took pay cuts) to win this championship. Hey a ring is a ring right?

I thought Bosh was an overrated, soft PF according to most of you. Now, should we take Kobe's away for having more roster support man 1-10 than any other player of this generation? How about Magics? He had multiple HOF's on his team. What about Larry Bird? Should we take those away too? What about Clyde Drexler? Should we take his ring away since he left Portland?

Young2Kinsler
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Yep, still hate em.

SteBO
05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
I thought Bosh was an overrated, soft PF according to most of you. Now, should we take Kobe's away for having more roster support man 1-10 than any other player of this generation? How about Magics? He had multiple HOF's on his team. What about Larry Bird? Should we take those away too? What about Clyde Drexler? Should we take his ring away since he left Portland?

Don't you just love double-standards? :)

Tony_Starks
05-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Its a interesting situation. First off the majority of those that hate on the Heat hate for non-basketball reasons. I think most of us that are fans of basketball never really cared one way or the other. So those haters will always be there.

But now with people jumping on the bandwagon thats kind of funny too. People are doing it now because they're looking good and its the hot thing to do. BUT let the Heat lose in the finals and I bet you those same ones patting them on the back now will be the same ones saying "haha! told you so! thats what they get!"

Rego247
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't you just love double-standards? :)

cmon stebo don't tell me heat fans don't have a fickle opinion about bosh.

they love him one game, and the next game after a bad performance they want to trade him.

NYYCowboys
05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
I still hate them, and most of their fair-weather fans. Sorry.

SteBO
05-26-2011, 01:50 PM

they love him one game, and the next game after a bad performance they want to trade him.
Can't argue with this. To a degree of course. He's still a star player in this league.

daleja424
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM

even when he played a bad game... HEAT fans did not deminsh the fact that he was/is a star player in this league. HEAT fans never waivered on the fact that Bosh was the best PF out there this summer and he was just finding his way earlier this season.

complaining about a guy who is struggling is way different than dissing a players abilities and stating he is an average guy.

Crackadalic
05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I hate the heat because its part of my knick religion:D

I hate the bandwagon fanbase they had and all the talk they were saying about manhandling the league for years to come

I can't say I like or dislike lebron but you can't hate him for doing what he did. If my owner continuously put garbage around me I would leave too even if it is my hometown. Are we really gonna hate him because he wants to WIN? Half the league just wants money or pad there stats every game. He gave up less money to get one.

D-rose is wayyy better then any of lebron formers teams and there having a hard time with Miami. I think lebron made the right choice

Hawkeye15
05-26-2011, 01:56 PM

that is any fanbase though.

Tony_Starks
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I will have to admit my opinion did change on Bosh though. It wasn't just this year, I never really like his game. Ever. Would've taken Boozer over him in a heartbeat.

Now that Im seeing them go head to head Im realizing that even though I still believe Boozer is a better player in the paint, that his numbers really have no effect on the game. Like he could've had 20,10 and you can't even really remember what he did because there's no impact.

Bosh at least does tend to make plays at pivotal portions of the game. When the other two are struggling he picks it up, and is good for the occasional nice and one in the clutch......

Rego247
05-26-2011, 02:01 PM
that is any fanbase though.

not to extent the heat fanbase does it with bosh.

keep in mind they don't do it with wade, and they sure as **** don't do it with lebron.

but with bosh they jump on and off that bandwagon whenever its convenient for them.

eugene
05-26-2011, 02:03 PM
dreaming about kidd and dirk getting their rings! and wait for kidd putting some impressive numbers in this series

Jaji
05-26-2011, 02:05 PM

Just a cliche. Its the "new thing" people are saying now. Before he was a quitter, then a traitor, then he was "Pippen." None of that is true? Hmmm okay, how about "he's not a competitor." Sounds good! Print that!

daleja424
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
not to extent the heat fanbase does it with bosh.

keep in mind they don't do it with wade, and they sure as **** don't do it with lebron.

but with bosh they jump on and off that bandwagon whenever its convenient for them.

there is a whoel thread about wade's decline in the heat forum and all last game some heat fans were calling for wade to be benched...

Slimsim
05-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Lets face what?? you gotta love delusional fans, especially delusional knick fans. I mean seriously?!?!

I would alway tell my Knick fan friends that I hope the Knicks get Melo b/c I wanted the rivalry to exist again andd really hope they get a PG of CP3's caliber. To trully give the heat competition.

However, as the teams stand now. NO WAY IN HELL do the knicks get past Boston/Bulls let alone the Heat. Talk to me when the Knicks start playing defense. Melo makes Deng look like the Defensive player of year. I actually like Amare cuz he *atleast* tries to play defense but makes any forward look like the next coming of Bill Russell. ok that might be too much but not as much as saying the Knicks are the closest team to upset Miami. Yeah maybe 1 out of 5 tries in the regular season. Come on, dude!!!???!!!!

My point is Chicago and Boston are top Defensive teams Miami is making light work of them both So maybe the key to beating Miami is a High power offense.

And yes i do believe the Knicks would be the closest to upsetting the Heats in the EAST Not only do we have 2 stars we also have money in 2012 to get a Paul or Howard. Boston getting older Bulls won't have money to add another star Orlando have to many bad contracts to get a paul hawks have contract issues. I guess we have to sit back and watch

Rego247
05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
there is a whoel thread about wade's decline in the heat forum and all last game some heat fans were calling for wade to be benched...

in the chris bosh insert word here thread in the heat forum, he was called a homosexual, and ppl were calling for him to be traded. i don't know about u but to me that seems worse than saying wade should be benched.

Jaji
05-26-2011, 02:27 PM
My point is Chicago and Boston are top Defensive teams Miami is making light work of them both So maybe the key to beating Miami is a High power offense.

And yes i do believe the Knicks would be the closest to upsetting the Heats in the EAST Not only do we have 2 stars we also have money in 2012 to get a Paul or Howard. Boston getting older Bulls won't have money to add another star Orlando have to many bad contracts to get a paul hawks have contract issues. I guess we have to sit back and watch

Dude, you're talking about 2012? That's after next season.

king4day
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
I didn't realize people were changing their stance.
I think if Dallas plays Miami and beats them for the title, then NBA mods will need to be on full alert here cuz the hate will rain down.

king4day
05-26-2011, 02:36 PM

I could be wrong but I thought I read the Bulls will have enough to spend on a player like Jason Richardson or Crawford. If they add a piece like that then I think they've done enough to become as elite as any other team in the league if not the favs to win it all.

rhino17
05-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Its not hard to hate Miami at all, these Superteams will kill the NBA

I have absolutely no respect for Lebron, Wade, and Bosh

AllBall
05-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Winning cures all.

justinnum1
05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Once again, I would like to thank the haters. Without you guys the heat wouldn't be as good as they are:clap:

smith&wesson
05-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Its tough for me to hate a team that i love to watch.